Rhine water levels 2017 and similar topics

notamermaid

The day of Weiberfastnacht is drawing to a close and it has been very windy, but that cannot stop people - strictly-speaking it should only be women celebrating - from spending the day with merrymaking, strange shouting and quite a bit of drinking alcohol. "Weib" has the same origin as the English "wife" but includes unmarried women in its sense like in the older English meaning. Men are advised to be careful on this day as some women can be a bit "mean", especially under the influence of alcohol. ;) The cutting off of ties is traditional. The reward for the man is a kiss.

Here is a videoclip from Deutsche Welle embedded in the article to give you an idea: http://www.dw.com/en/gale-force-winds-dampen-german-carnival-celebrations/a-37694802

Our local carnival greeting is: Alaaf!!! :D

By the way, the water level is still a little low for winter.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

We are planning a river cruise this year and wonder if the water levels are lower in the fall? Is that a good time to river cruise?

Thanks

Yes, the levels are lower in autumn. For the Rhine you can have a look at the situation last year which was discussed in the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2308253&highlight=Rhine+water+levels&page=16 I suggest you have a look at post #320 onwards.

Noone knows what the situation will be like this year. Generally, I would say as a rule of thumb, avoid middle and late October and use a 110m boat. But we might have a rainy September, then things will be fine in October. Other rivers have similar patterns but you would need to ask past cruisers specifically about their experiences. For the Elbe I have come to the conclusion that it is best avoided from August to October and I would only use the paddle ship from CroisiEurope. But that is my personal opinion.

The autumn colours along the Rhine and Moselle are beautiful, I would not hesitate to book on a 110m boat, with the 135m boats you might just get unlucky. But all river cruise companies have plan B's for such a situation and I am sure will look after their customers as best as they can.

notamermaid

Beyond the standard ports... part 1

I would like to start with a port that some of you have stopped at, some have been to on an excursion and the city is well known: D?sseldorf, the capital of the "Land" of North-Rhine-Westfalia . However, being relatively close to the more alluring Cologne it is not a typical stop for river cruise lines. Comparing it to Cologne one can say that it is younger, somewhat less historically interesting in an all-encompassing sense due to the lack of Roman antiquities, more stylish and vibrant in a fashion sense and with a leaning towards modern art. The harbour area has been refurbished with modern architects having been "let loose" with ideas. ;)

D?sseldorf is said to have the "longest bar" in Germany in the old town.

The district of Benrath with its baroque palace has an unusal claim to fame: it is a dividing line between German dialects - very important for linguists - called the "Benrather Linie".

Here is a short video to give you an idea of what to expect: http://www.dw.com/en/a-checklist-for-d%C3%BCsseldorf/a-36475922

notamermaid

Beyond the standard ports... part 2

A little bit North of Mannheim is the city of Worms. Most river cruisers head to Speyer or Mannheim - to get to Speyer or Heidelberg when in that section of the Rhine. However, Worms is worth considering. The town is old, very old, rivalling Trier for the title of the oldest town in Germany.

Apart from that what makes Worms stand out? It has a Dom (cathedral), just like Speyer, Mainz, Trier and Cologne. It was a centre of Jewish culture. It put its name into the history books with the Concordate of Worms - a kind of religious treaty to end a dispute between emperor and pope in the 12th century. Worms is associated very much with Martin Luther. And for those with a liking of fantasy and legend: Worms is the seat of some of the protagonists in the famous epic poem "Nibelungenlied". Hence part of the story taking place in Worms. Yes, the saga of Wagnerian operas fame! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibelungenlied

German river cruise ships regularly stop in Worms. Dutch companies offer cruises as well. English language ones seem few and far between, but I was able to find one itinerary of CroisiEurope that includes a short stop in Worms. If you know of any others or have even been to Worms, I would be happy to read about it.

notamermaid

We spent a few hours in Worms in the fall of 2015. Impressive old Dom! It was hard to get a good picture. I remember a couple of nice fountains as well.

I really enjoy your stories and travel hints!

rafting query

I read notamermaid posts from last year and very impressed with your ongoing updates of river levels thanks

we travel amsterdam to budapest starting june 27th. on avalon vista

you mention about being so many ships in each port that they can raft to each other, will this be common for the trip we do in june ??

or is this just due to floods preventing ships from continuing there journey ?

thanks

first time river cruiser

Last year we docked in Dusseldorf on Avalon's Remich to Amsterdam cruise. We enjoyed the city, but i think that most people would rather do the cathedral in Cologne. We did visit the modern buildings in the new area on the river.

We spent a few hours in Worms in the fall of 2015. Impressive old Dom! It was hard to get a good picture. I remember a couple of nice fountains as well.

I really enjoy your stories and travel hints!

Thank you jpalbny,

I enjoyed Worms quite a few years ago, somehow the "ambience" in the town I prefer to the one in Speyer. You mention fountains - it reminds that there is a famous monument for Martin Luther in town. It being "Luther-Jahr", celebrating 500 years of the Reformation, Worms is very much in the focus this year. There is actually an English version of the Luther2017 website: https://www.luther2017.de/en/

part3, somewhat inevitably ;), coming soon.

notamermaid

How are the Rhine and Mosel levels now? We are going Basel to Amsterdam mid April with tauck.

Thanks

Moselle and Rhine are fed by the snow melt in the mountains and rain in the valleys right now. The levels have gone up. Neither river is flooding, though. Things can change quickly towards flooding status in March and April, so I do not want to give any indication of what it will be like in April.

The first cruises will be in about two weeks time; they have a very good chance of being unimpeded. There is lots of room still. Kaub is at 257 cm, Koblenz at 305 cm. Problems start to arise at around the 500 cm mark depending on what the authorities have chosen as the cut-off point for calling it flooding. This is different from station to station. The weather is quite settled; yet, after a day of warmth, colder again.

The crocuses and snow drops are blooming in my neighbours garden, it looks bright and cheerful! A nice change to the grey sky above.

notamermaid

Dear Kiwixmas -

Re: Rafting

The question is not will you be rafted but how often. The PRIMARY cause is the stuffing of the rivers with too many ships and not the river water conditions. Assume that you will be rafted and hope that you will be able to walk through the other ships and not have to climb over them. The cruise companies are 'trying' to solve this problem but keep adding more and more ships to river systems and docking locations that are already overloaded. I guess I am not very clever because I see no solution there. Alternative docks are appearing, but as was suggested earlier in this thread, who wants to go to Dusseldorf instead of the Cologne cathedral?. Another solution has developed, docking away from the city and bussing there as in Regensburg.

Please look at the "Increasing Popularity of River Cruising" thread in this forum for more discussion of this topic.

When you are rafted, and you will be rafted, take a deep breath and get off the ship and enjoy the location. Rafting is annoying and sometimes physically challenging but you shouldn't let it destroy the wonder of your trip. However, it does destroy the romantic experience of following in the footsteps of river sailors for hundreds of years who stepped off their ships and directly into the life of ancient cities.

I'm beginning to think that the cruise companies should give their passengers a cash bonus every time the docking is rafting. The docking is known well before the ship's arrival (e.g. Amsterdam's port posts docking at least a month ahead).

On the other hand, if your purpose is to 'ride the river', then the docking conditions are of little importance. I suppose the significance of rafting depends on your goals for the cruise.

I have taken 11 European river cruises, most of them as Christmas cruises, the rest in Spring. Summer, I understand, is a very busy time that I avoid.

I'm beginning to think that the cruise companies should give their passengers a cash bonus every time the docking is rafting. The docking is known well before the ship's arrival (e.g. Amsterdam's port posts docking at least a month ahead).

Given that many times the ship is in a different position in the "raft" when you return, I wouldn't say that anything is known ahead of time.

Of course, each of us has had different experiences. In my docking experience, many times they may move the ship, but most of the time it remains in the same location. Hoping that the ship will move while you are off it would be a futile use of emotional energy.

rafting query

I read notamermaid posts from last year and very impressed with your ongoing updates of river levels thanks

we travel amsterdam to budapest starting june 27th. on avalon vista

you mention about being so many ships in each port that they can raft to each other, will this be common for the trip we do in june ??

or is this just due to floods preventing ships from continuing there journey ?

thanks

first time river cruiser

This is due to the number of ships wanting to dock in prime locations in usually the same towns, very often at the same convenient time. Nobody wants to do a guided tour at 5am or go to a museum at 9pm. ;) Xmaser has already mentioned this, there is more on that subject in the said thread. Rafting happens more in some places than others and is a minor thing when you are told about it beforehand in my opinion. If you have a mobility issue it might affect you beyond it being just "not a nice thing". Where on your route it will happen I cannot say. These things are known beforehand by the cruise companies for sure, but in port can turn out differently as the allocation to berths is down to the harbour master. In some places it is unavoidable, in some it just occurs when one ship is early or late, or just for two hours for example. One specific thing: in Koblenz Viking has its own landing stage, rarely shared with another company. As they have so many ships going upstream and downstream during the season they probably know well in advance if and when two of their ships will raft together.

I think there is a thread from last year where more was said about this subject, the word rafting was in the title of the thread I believe. Not sure when it was started or last posted in.

If you have any concerns regarding your mobility or safety it is best to ask your travel agent or cruise company about your specific worries. Please do not let it spoil your fun and enjoyment.

notamermaid

I have been in Viking with Viking rafts in Koblenz. Luckily in those cases I had outside views: once to the Deutches Eck and the other across the river.

Rafting is not ubiquitous, but it is definitely common. Customers have the right to know this. It does diminish the travel experience.

Has anyone yet seen a travel brochure with a picture of rafted ships ? ? ?

This is due to the number of ships wanting to dock in prime locations in usually the same towns, very often at the same convenient time. Nobody wants to do a guided tour at 5am or go to a museum at 9pm. ;) Xmaser has already mentioned this, there is more on that subject in the said thread. Rafting happens more in some places than others and is a minor thing when you are told about it beforehand in my opinion. If you have a mobility issue it might affect you beyond it being just "not a nice thing". Where on your route it will happen I cannot say. These things are known beforehand by the cruise companies for sure, but in port can turn out differently as the allocation to berths is down to the harbour master. In some places it is unavoidable, in some it just occurs when one ship is early or late, or just for two hours for example. One specific thing: in Koblenz Viking has its own landing stage, rarely shared with another company. As they have so many ships going upstream and downstream during the season they probably know well in advance if and when two of their ships will raft together.

I think there is a thread from last year where more was said about this subject, the word rafting was in the title of the thread I believe. Not sure when it was started or last posted in.

If you have any concerns regarding your mobility or safety it is best to ask your travel agent or cruise company about your specific worries. Please do not let it spoil your fun and enjoyment.

notamermaid

thanks for all the info ,

I can now understand what is happening

we both very mobile so wont have any issues there

I am sure this will be a fantastic holiday and something totally different to what we are use to seeing so many cultures in 2 weeks

thanks again

peter

Follow the christening of Viking Herja and Viking Hild

As doubledocking is certainly not something printed that often in brochures - xmaser, I have not come across it yet in brochures. It does not look appealing in my opinion. Really makes sense not to print it - I thought I might post you all the link to the webcam at Koblenz. I did it in the 2016 thread but some of you might not have seen that link. It is easy to see the rafting from that angle later in the year when there will be lots of ships. Of course not now as there are no ships sailing on the rivers yet, right?! So here goes: http://www.bafg.de/php/deutsches-eck-gross.jpg

Here comes the weird bit. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw two Viking ships rafted there together! A look at marinetraffic confirmed that the ships are the "babies" Viking Herja and Viking Hild, due to sail later this month. They will be christened there tomorrow at 5pm local time. Nearly missed it. It means we can follow the christening ceremony on a webcam. Not live really, but with a few minutes delay, in pictures. Unfortunately not the full ships are visible, though.

We are having quite a bit of rain, water level due to rise, but only slowly.

notamermaid

The christening was a splendid affair! Unfortunately and as feared, the webcam did not show much of what was going on. Here is an article about the ceremony: http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/pair-of-viking-longships-are-named-in-koblenz.html

The local press were invited, so hopefully the newspaper will have a report with some photos.

There was a grand meal onboard with fireworks from Ehrenbreitstein fortress to round off the evening. Here is the link to the youtube video (privately uploaded by a local fireworks fan):

If you do not want to watch it all, do skip to the finale at 10.50 minutes for an interesting display.

Edit: I could not travel the short distance to Koblenz due to other engagements but cruisecritic's Chris had made it all the way across the pond to Deutsches Eck :) : http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7601

The river levels are still fine.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Beyond the standard ports... part 3

You might think that the area along the Rhine with its long history is full of medieval castles and old Roman towns. While that is true it would be a mistake to think that all places are that old. Karlsruhe is the second largest town in Baden-Würrtemberg (after Stuttgart) and as a district is on the border to the neighbouring land of Rhineland-Palatinate. Founded on 17 June 1715 it is one of the few towns with an actual birth date and pretty young (!). One well-known younger town is Ludwigshafen. Two other baroque towns on the Rhine with a (different) new town street layout are Mannheim and Neuwied.

While the town itself is 7.5km away from the Rhine, its large harbour in the district is on the Rhine.

What makes Karlsruhe different? Naturally, you will not find any medieval buildings in the town, yet the once independent suburb Durlach can help you out there, that one being the old capital of the noble family. Karlsruhe has been nicknamed the fan town due to its unusual planned town layout with the streets fanning out from the focal point - the palace. The nature of the town is therefore baroque with the town well rebuilt after WWII. Some other noteworthy points can be read on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlsruhe

With older towns in the vicinity Karlsruhe does not attract the large crowds. Very few river cruises stop there, German ships only, from what I could see.

Still, for a different view of Germany, and as a balance to all that cathedral and castle viewing, Karlsruhe deserves mentioning in my opinion.

notamermaid

An earthquake shook a part of the Middle Rhine valley at 6.30 this morning. It had a magnitude of 2.7 and the epicentre was near a small town called Ochtendung in the region of the Eifel that borders on the Rhine near Koblenz. It is a region called the Neuwied Basin (after one of its towns) which is known for volcanic activity. No damage has been reported so far. These minor earthquakes are quite common and the region is "littered with" volcanic hills and lakes. That part is called the volcanic Eifel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_Eifel

The volcanic stone has given the region a distinct look from the buildings made of tuffs, pumice and basalt. And it has made the region rich. I once stood in an old windmill in the South of England and read on one of the explanation panels that they had used millstones from the volcanic Eifel!

While most companies and its passengers sail past the region without seeing it, Avalon has an optional excursion that takes you to the region. Sleep7 here on CC went on the excursion to the Vulkan-Brauerei (brewery) in Mendig and enjoyed it: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2422694 post #37

The abbey nearby and close to the volcanic lake Laacher See is called Abtei Maria Laach and is a UNESCO world heritage site.

If you happen to pass by Andernach in daylight you can make out an old crane on the Rhine embankment. It was used to load the stone from the region onto ships.

Which brings me to the more important topic of water levels: the Rhine has risen quite a bit. Due to the current warm and sunny weather a rise to flooding level is very unlikely in the next three days. We have had four consecutive days with afternoon temperatures in the double digits. Will need to see if the weekend brings a lot of rain. Not much is forecast right now.

The neighbour's cats have been out enjoying the sunshine and it is only two weeks before the first beer gardens will be set up. YEAH!

notamermaid

An earthquake shook a part of the Middle Rhine valley at 6.30 this morning. It had a magnitude of 2.7 and the epicentre was near a small town called Ochtendung in the region of the Eifel that borders on the Rhine near Koblenz. It is a region called the Neuwied Basin (after one of its towns) which is known for volcanic activity. No damage has been reported so far. These minor earthquakes are quite common and the region is "littered with" volcanic hills and lakes. That part is called the volcanic Eifel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_Eifel

The volcanic stone has given the region a distinct look from the buildings made of tuffs, pumice and basalt. And it has made the region rich. I once stood in an old windmill in the South of England and read on one of the explanation panels that they had used millstones from the volcanic Eifel!

While most companies and its passengers sail past the region without seeing it, Avalon has an optional excursion that takes you to the region. Sleep7 here on CC went on the excursion to the Vulkan-Brauerei (brewery) in Mendig and enjoyed it: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2422694 post #37

The abbey nearby and close to the volcanic lake Laacher See is called Abtei Maria Laach and is a UNESCO world heritage site.

If you happen to pass by Andernach in daylight you can make out an old crane on the Rhine embankment. It was used to load the stone from the region onto ships.

Which brings me to the more important topic of water levels: the Rhine has risen quite a bit. Due to the current warm and sunny weather a rise to flooding level is very unlikely in the next three days. We have had four consecutive days with afternoon temperatures in the double digits. Will need to see if the weekend brings a lot of rain. Not much is forecast right now.

The neighbour's cats have been out enjoying the sunshine and it is only two weeks before the first beer gardens will be set up. YEAH!

notamermaid

Keep us posted on water levels. We leave next week!

Robin

Rafting is not ubiquitous, but it is definitely common. Customers have the right to know this. It does diminish the travel experience.

Has anyone yet seen a travel brochure with a picture of rafted ships ? ? ?

I've never seen a picture of rafted ships in Uniworld's brouchures but the possibility of rafting is mentioned in at least 2 sections of their website.

In the FAQ section of the website in response to "Where will my ship dock?" it is noted that "There may be times when your ship moors next to another ship or between ships, especially in busy ports. Docking locations are determined by the local harbor authorities, not Uniworld or the ship’s captain."

In the Cruise Companion booklets on the website (and sent to passengers with their tickets) it is noted under Mooring and Docking Facilities with the warning: "Guests may experience obstructed views from staterooms and suites when the ship is docked."

Would love to see the S.S. Antoinette again. A splendid ship.

notamermaid

Yes she is! Here she is, docked in Boppard 3 years ago.

94f4d6455f96f937c4e51f0f6854f681.jpg

Spring and Biergartens sound wonderful now. We had 22 inches (55 cm) of snow over the last 24 hours. It's a winter wonderland out here. And last year, we were at the Frühlingsfest in Munich... :(

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app