Legal Permanent Residents on Cruises (green card holders)

drag0ng00f

I keep reading that you either only need your green card or you need green card plus passport, or that you need your green card plus drivers license. I'm planning a cruise for later in the year and my parents are both Permanent Residents. Going with Royal Caribbean, the cruise will start and end in Galveston, Texas. It will go to Jamaica, Cayman Islands, and Mexico. Can anyone get me a clear answer on what documents they need?

To re-enter the US they need their green card. Depending on their country of citizenship they may need their passports to enter the country being visited. To re-enter the port area in port passengers typically need their cabin card and a government photo ID so they could use their green card or their drivers license.

Basically you will have to ascertain if any of the ports require them to have their passports.

MIL is a green card holder; she was asked for her passport when we returned to San Pedro, CA from a Mexican Riviera cruise in 2015.

As mentioned above, technically not necessary for entry back into the US, but they can also put you on "hold" :eek: Why hassle with "the Man" or in our case "the Woman" for something that takes less than a minute.

Also some ports (other countries) require both for visa free entry.

Best to bring both.

Edited by Philob

I keep reading that you either only need your green card or you need green card plus passport, or that you need your green card plus drivers license. I'm planning a cruise for later in the year and my parents are both Permanent Residents. Going with Royal Caribbean, the cruise will start and end in Galveston, Texas. It will go to Jamaica, Cayman Islands, and Mexico. Can anyone get me a clear answer on what documents they need?

According to the governments of Jamaica, Cayman Islands, and Mexico your parents are citizens of their home country. They don't care what residency agreement they have with the US. A "green card" is only good for getting back into the US.

Your parents will need valid passports, with at least six months validity remaining, of their home country. You will also need to check the immigration sites of all of the countries on the RCI cruise to see if they require any visas for citizens of that country. It makes no difference whether they plan to go ashore or not because they will be "in" that country the moment the ship enters their territorial waters.

Without a passport and all required visas they will be denied boarding at the pier and will lose 100% of the fare. Travel insurance does not cover failure to have proper travel documentation because that is considered entirely within the passenger's control.

We had a similar post last year where somebody wanted to book a cruise for her parents, who were from Vietnam but held US green cards. She had to cancel because her parent's passports had expired and all of the countries on the itinerary required visas for citizens of Vietnam.

Edited by BlueRiband

According to the governments of Jamaica, Cayman Islands, and Mexico your parents are citizens of their home country. They don't care what residency agreement they have with the US. A "green card" is only good for getting back into the US.

Your parents will need valid passports, with at least six months validity remaining, of their home country.

Their closed loop cruise destinations are not ones that have the six month rule.

Edited by NMLady

Their closed loop cruise destinations are not ones that have the six month rule.

For US citizens perhaps, but I'd be very surprised if a cruise line allowed foreign nationals to sail with less than that. Given that the OP's parents are not US citizens they would have problems flying on less than six months should they have to meet the ship at the next port or have to fly back home early.

I don't think anyone *can* tell you your parents will not need a passport, partially because you did not indicate what country your parents are citizens of.

FWIW, my husband is a Canadian citizen and we went on a Caribbean cruise. He did have a Canadian passport as well as his US DL and green card, but no one ever asked for the passport. However, as others have said, you will need to contact the consulates of the countries your ship will stop in to find out whether your parents will need a passport and/or visa.

That said, is there any reason for them not to get passports? If an emergency happens, they will have to get passports to fly anywhere. I am in the "better prepared" camp, myself.

Be careful if your parents are from one of the seven countries in the executive order by Trump yesterday. They might not be allowed back in to the country even with a green card.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Be careful if your parents are from one of the seven countries in the executive order by Trump yesterday. They might not be allowed back in to the country even with a green card.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

And given that Trump said more countries will be added to the list, I don't think it's safe for anyone who isn't a US citizen to try to enter or re enter the US without a passport, and as much extra documentation as possible. Take EVERYTHING with you - green card, visas, passport, DL - whatever you think might be needed. This is a very uncertain, precarious, time.

And given that Trump said more countries will be added to the list, I don't think it's safe for anyone who isn't a US citizen to try to enter or re enter the US without a passport, and as much extra documentation as possible. Take EVERYTHING with you - green card, visas, passport, DL - whatever you think might be needed. This is a very uncertain, precarious, time.

Yes thats what ACLU and JFK official said. I am a GC card holder from a country not from those 7 countries. The said dont travel outside of US, cruise or not, unless it is an emergency. Had to cancel my cruise that sailed today :(

Yes thats what ACLU and JFK official said. I am a GC card holder from a country not from those 7 countries. The said don't travel outside of US, cruise or not, unless it is an emergency. Had to cancel my cruise that sailed today :(

Who is the "they"? If you have a valid GC and passport, you have all the required visas and you are not on the list of those 7 countries you are good to go - and return.

Who is the "they"? If you have a valid GC and passport, you have all the required visas and you are not on the list of those 7 countries you are good to go - and return.

They are airport officials and ACLU representative.

Green card has nothing to do with visa.

The EO says those 7 countries, but the situation is a little different over at the airports in New York.

They are airport officials and ACLU representative.

Green card has nothing to do with visa.

The EO says those 7 countries, but the situation is a little different over at the airports in New York.

Our GC holding friends are very cautious, wary and afraid right now. Both come from highly respected countries. Neither are willing to risk visiting family right now.

It seems to me that everyone should be taking whatever they have in terms of ID. After the events of yesterday - involving 7 countries - I can imagine anything happening. Our Canadian prime minister expressed support for refugees. That could inflame Mr Trump to add Canada to the list!!

Unlikely? Yes. But unlikely things have become commonplace in the US lately.

If you are detained and/or asked to surrender your green card, the ACLU advises you not to surrender your green card and call the ACLU. Better to err or the side of caution because there is no one that can tell you that countries other than those currently banned will be the last ones on the list.

not so much. people who were otherwise not affected by the ban as written have been denied re entry or boarding to return to the US. its a case of not knowing for certain who is and is not exempt at the moment and officials are playing it safe by denying.

If you are detained and/or asked to surrender your green card, the ACLU advises you not to surrender your green card and call the ACLU. Better to err or the side of caution because there is no one that can tell you that countries other than those currently banned will be the last ones on the list.

That is currently the big concern at ACLU and NYC airports. That the EO was executed so hastily, and the stay was granted along with protests to piss of Trump even more to expand the list, rather than dismiss it.

not so much. people who were otherwise not affected by the ban as written have been denied re entry or boarding to return to the US. its a case of not knowing for certain who is and is not exempt at the moment and officials are playing it safe by denying.

Which is why I was asked to travel only if emergency.

None of this matters for me now, since I found out I have had food poisoning since yesterday. I thought it was the nerves over all this chaos.

I guess my trip wasn't meant to be.

It was reported last night that a mother & child were one of those detained at SFO. The mother has a GC and the child (10 months) has a US passport. The father and lawyers were unable to contact ICE or any airport official to allow the child to pass.

Hopefully with the judges order these two were allowed to enter last night.

Edited by Philob

It was reported last night that a mother & child were one of those detained at SFO. The mother has a GC and the child (10 months) has a US passport. The father and lawyers were unable to contact ICE or any airport official to allow the child to pass.

Hopefully with the judges order these two were allowed to enter last night.

Using the passive voice generally imparts heresay. If you don't indicate "who" reported, "what" was reported is not reliable. Always remember to consider the source of what's being "reported".

And where was the outrage when Obama stopped processing visas for Iraqi refugees in 2011. And in 1980 when Carter immediately invalidated all visas issued to Iranian citizens. Oh right, no outrage because they were . . .:eek:

Using the passive voice generally imparts heresay. If you don't indicate "who" reported, "what" was reported is not reliable. Always remember to consider the source of what's being "reported".

And where was the outrage when Obama stopped processing visas for Iraqi refugees in 2011. And in 1980 when Carter immediately invalidated all visas issued to Iranian citizens. Oh right, no outrage because they were . . .:eek:

KCBS radio reporter live interview, on the scene at SFO with father, last night at about 5pm. Reporter mentioned he tried to get a comment from ICE & airport officials but no one would return calls or comment.

BUT then, I could be a 450 lb guy living in my parents basement making this all up.

Edited by Philob

Really good comments! It seems that there are two things going on -- firstly an over reaction by many people in the U.S. Secondly, the "ban" does not seem to be working the way it was intended. I thought that only people from the list of countries will be denied entry - not Canadians, British, etc.

Philob: Liked your post as well - it seems that when someone does not agree with a view or opinion, they want to put that poster down rather than having a calm exchange of opinions. Are you really a 450 pound man living in your mothers basement:eek: (Just kidding :D )