Norwegian Jade Warning -

csrk1

We had a rotten cruise on the Jade. She's an old ship -- we knew this before sailing (read it on Cruise Critic!) so we had altered our expectations. But things are really worn -- old -- broken. She's going into dry dock this year and really needs it. Ok we get it - they can't help "old" ships, but what we DIDN'T expect was that they were going to start renovations DURING OUR CRUISE.

They slowly (and LOUDLY) dismantled the water slide. Had to shut down the kids pool (the only one they were allowed to use -- until we got special permission to "let" our kids swim in the adult pool) too. The entire area was cordoned off with yellow CAUTION tape. SO this meant tons less space and deck chairs because half of one side of the deck was a construction site. Finding a lounger was really tough and even when you did you were crammed into your neighbor in an uncomfortably close way.

We had other issues -- for example Norwegian also did cabin maintenance on our neighbor's cabin at 2 A.M. for an hour. We understand maintenance has to happen, but seriously -- could there be some consideration of timing?

We missed Key West due to fog -- they can't control the weather, we get it -- but no one knew what was going on. Really poor communication between the staff on this cruise. Really poor. God bless anyone who is on that ship if an emergency takes place.

We are frequent cruisers and usually go with Princess. Decided to try Norwegian. We will be returning to Princess. Look - bad stuff can happen with any company. But the thing that really makes an impact on me is how the company responds.

We (at the suggestion of Jovo, the hotel director) wrote up our concerns and shared them with customer service once we were back on land. They basically told us "tough luck" (in so many words) -- that they are allowed to do maintenance whenever, and wherever they want. Expecting a pool? Maybe not. Hoping for a show? They'll let you know once you're onboard.

We were on the Carnival Escape that caught on fire years ago. That was bad. So, this wasn't technically our "worst" experience -- but it was a disappointing second. We'll skip Norwegian and suggest you do too -- not because of what happened but because it doesn't seem like the company really cares at all.

We had a rotten cruise on the Jade. She's an old ship -- we knew this before sailing (read it on Cruise Critic!) so we had altered our expectations. But things are really worn -- old -- broken. She's going into dry dock this year and really needs it. Ok we get it - they can't help "old" ships, but what we DIDN'T expect was that they were going to start renovations DURING OUR CRUISE.

They slowly (and LOUDLY) dismantled the water slide. Had to shut down the kids pool (the only one they were allowed to use -- until we got special permission to "let" our kids swim in the adult pool) too. The entire area was cordoned off with yellow CAUTION tape. SO this meant tons less space and deck chairs because half of one side of the deck was a construction site. Finding a lounger was really tough and even when you did you were crammed into your neighbor in an uncomfortably close way.

We had other issues -- for example Norwegian also did cabin maintenance on our neighbor's cabin at 2 A.M. for an hour. We understand maintenance has to happen, but seriously -- could there be some consideration of timing?

We missed Key West due to fog -- they can't control the weather, we get it -- but no one knew what was going on. Really poor communication between the staff on this cruise. Really poor. God bless anyone who is on that ship if an emergency takes place.

We are frequent cruisers and usually go with Princess. Decided to try Norwegian. We will be returning to Princess. Look - bad stuff can happen with any company. But the thing that really makes an impact on me is how the company responds.

We (at the suggestion of Jovo, the hotel director) wrote up our concerns and shared them with customer service once we were back on land. They basically told us "tough luck" (in so many words) -- that they are allowed to do maintenance whenever, and wherever they want. Expecting a pool? Maybe not. Hoping for a show? They'll let you know once you're onboard.

We were on the Carnival Escape that caught on fire years ago. That was bad. So, this wasn't technically our "worst" experience -- but it was a disappointing second. We'll skip Norwegian and suggest you do too -- not because of what happened but because it doesn't seem like the company really cares at all.

Sorry about your experience on the Jade. We were on her last week and did not experience any of the negative issues you experienced. It would be in your best interests to stick with Princess as your preferred line.

Obviously, if they were doing maintenance at 2am, there was some sort of emergency that your neighbor phoned in that couldn't wait. If your toilet was overflowing at 2 am, would it be acceptable if maintenance told you to just wait until the next morning as they didn't want to come and possibly disturb your neighbors?

They basically told us "tough luck" (in so many words) -- that they are allowed to do maintenance whenever, and wherever they want.

In so many words? Why not just tell us what was actually said instead of twisting it into something that was NOT said?

We were on the Carnival Escape that caught on fire years ago.

Wow. That must have been a frightening experience.

BTW, when did Carnival ever have a ship named Escape??

We did our first ncl sailing on the ill fated Star.

Also "older" ship and while it was different we enjoyed it.

Having said that I 100% agree with you regarding the company. Communication is poor and they are definitely rude and hostile.

It has finally backfired with the current passengers protesting and management agreeing to come and board the ship.

We would consider cruising them again due the fun onboard but it would have to be a good price and the ports would have to be unimportant to us (too risky the way they change itinerary)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

I was on Jade In September. I've cruised many different lines and many many times. Our party of 4 found Jade to be fantastic. It was immaculately clean and we are fussy, the food was Fantastic, the entertainment team were the best we had seen on any ship and the warm, friendly atmosphere made it special. The ship was 95% perfect with only a couple of areas needing to be modernised' one of which was the water slide, the other the public toilets. This would not and did not ruin the cruise. X

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Suki1527

The water slide being taken down has nothing to do with the age of the ship, it was being taken down to accommodate the upcoming music charters.

As seashark says, when you call for maintenance in the middle of the night, they will ask if you want it then, or can wait until morning. Obviously, your neighbors wanted it done then.

Funny you think the Jade is old, when Princess only has 4 ships out of 17 that are younger than the Jade (Emerald, Ruby, Royal, and Regal). So, I guess you restrict your cruises to these ships only?

Edited by chengkp75

We make it a point never to book a ship the month before or the month after a scheduled drydock.

Technically it's not scheduled for dry dock tills march I think. The reason for OP's main complaint was 100% in NCL's control. In February they are using that boat for a music chartered cruise (we were on the following cruise and also completely unaware until reports from this cruise came out). They closed the pool and deck to take out the water slide to main room for the stage and access the floor to set up wiring for the music charter.

I def have sympathy for OP, it was random luck that we were on the next cruise where outside of no water slide, the ship was fully functional. Think the OP is letting the issues with the construction and the weather cloud their view if the ship. Yes, it wasn't brand new, we had a chunk missing out of our counter and a damaged panel in the shower; all cosmetic. But it wasn't in bad shape or falling apart overall. Our primary complaint was that the chairs in some areas had less cushion than we would like in them.

OP, if you want to give NCL another chance, it's worth keeping in mind that the construction issues were a fluke due to timing, not a regular thing. But agree that some compensation should have been in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I for one appreciatge the maintenance they do on an ongoing basis.

We were on Jade last March and it was lots of fun.

We were on Pearl last Sept/Oct, and I think a definition of awkward is when your spouse is alternately lying on the floor/heaving up their guts in the bathroom due to seasickness and people come in to measure for new curtains - including curtains in the bathroom!

Still didnt impact our enjoyment of that cruise. once he got some scopolamine, it was great! (thanks again, NancyL!)

There are actually six music charters on the Jade starting Feb 6. And one more following dry dock. So it's doubtful the slide will be reinstalled during dry dock. Curious if it will be added back after the charter season.

The stage can be set up with the slide present - it was for the first charter season on the Pearl in 2013 - but it really impacts sightlines for a large percentage of people on decks 12 and 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on Jade In September. I've cruised many different lines and many many times. Our party of 4 found Jade to be fantastic. It was immaculately clean and we are fussy, the food was Fantastic, the entertainment team were the best we had seen on any ship and the warm, friendly atmosphere made it special. The ship was 95% perfect with only a couple of areas needing to be modernised' one of which was the water slide, the other the public toilets. This would not and did not ruin the cruise. X

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree. We were on Jade in October for 14 day transatlantic and had wonderful service and great entertainment. Did not notice oldness that OP noticed. I think OP was completely overwhelmed by dismantling of slide which had nothing to do with the coming drydock but was in preparation for charter. Definitely off-putting but can't imagine it affecting great crew service and entertainment.

Sorry your cruise was not up to your expectations. We just off the Jade Wednesday. I can't agree that things were old and broken. Everything was well maintained, and worked properly on our cruise. Considering they are going into dry dock, multiple people commented on how much upkeep they were doing, from cleaning to varnishing handrails.

As far the pool is concerned, it had nothing to do with dry dock. That ship is going to be used for multiple music charters prior to dry dock, and the slide would have restricted the view to the stage. The NCL Pearl was being used for that purpose, but will in the dry dock prior to the Jade. The Pearl does not have a slide either. That work is complete now, and both pools were open, and lounge chairs placed in the area where the slide was removed.

Sorry for your bad experience.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

We were on the Jade first week of Dec. Great cruise, wonderful ship and crew. Super cruise. In fact, I really liked the left over Hawaii themed decor decorating her that I guess will soon be removed and replaced. I wish I could buy some of the colorful plastic flowers. They crew had also really decorated her with Christmas decorations. All that makes made happy. Sorry the ship just completely fell apart I guess in just a month and a half.

I must have been on the same cruise as the OP as I watched the dismantling of the slide and had portions of the pool deck closed throughout. This was early January. Also it was a slight annoyance in an otherwise great cruise! Staff was great and responsive. We were even impressed with the food throughout and ate mostly in the MDRs.

I think we were on that cruise too (Key West wasn't a stop though), 1/8 - 1/15.

For us, "Slide Deconstruction" was definitely a feature, not a bug. Sure, it was a bit unsightly for a couple of the days, but so are an awful lot of the cruisers, and we don't let that ruin our good time.:D

We found the ship generally clean and well-run, as have been just about all our NCL cruises. I expect we'll continue to enjoy their services in the future.

Good luck with Princess. We were on the Crown in September and had a less than stellar cruise. Our experiences included a toilet that broke on it's own at 12:30 AM and started a small flood. Imagine shop vacs in the hallway at that time of night! Provided Princess (via survey) with all the issues we encountered and what was their reply? Absolutely NOTHING.