WHAT the HECK Happened to this site???

flamomo

You took the words right out of my head, sparks1093. I'm brand new here so not familiar with old format. But I do appreciate this wonderful FREE tool.

My email provider, that I've had since day 1, recently changed format and I HATE it - not really improved IMO. But like Travelcat2 pointed out, I don't want to be an 'old fogie', so I'm moving along with the changing times!

Look's like Cruise Critic is trying to keep up to the Back yard chicken folk style. :D LoL :D

:) http://www.backyardchickens.com/f/2/managing-your-flock :)

Yep! The new format is definitely "for the birds". :D

Looks like they are sucking up to the mobile crowd at the expense of the laptop and desktop crowd. Sad that they feel the need to lower the bar to satisfy a certain group. If the new format becomes the only option, I will no longer be coming here on a daily basis to enjoy the give and take among members. I will only put up with it when I need something specific. Otherwise, I will stay far, far away. :(

Edited by sloopsailor

Just checked - old on my lap top (Windows on Chrome), new on my tablet (Android on Chrome), old on my phone (Apple on Chrome). Yes, don't like the new, but know eventually it will be the only choice. At least it's not as screwed up as Crystal's new website that has been a hot mess for at least 6 months! :eek:

Edited by Texas Tillie

Like it or not, web traffic data has shown for some time now that more and more traffic is from mobile devices. The balance finally tipped last November, when for the first time more web traffic came from phones and notebooks than from laptops and desktops: http://bgr.com/2016/11/02/internet-usage-desktop-vs-mobile/

I've heard my 20-something son complain many times that websites that are not optimized for mobile use are so "last millenium". And to be fair, the current forum format IS pretty creaky. I'm sure there's behind-the-scenes stuff that's much better from a technical standpoint.

Ads are not a problem if one uses an adblocker.

Like it or not, web traffic data has shown for some time now that more and more traffic is from mobile devices. The balance finally tipped last November, when for the first time more web traffic came from phones and notebooks than from laptops and desktops: http://bgr.com/2016/11/02/internet-usage-desktop-vs-mobile/

I think it also has a lot to do with the websites being visited. Most mobile users are younger, and gravitate towards websites that cater to the younger crowd. Sites such as CruiseCritic, which I suspect has a higher percentage of older readers have a lower percentage of mobile users than say a website where you can download music.

The website you linked to also reports that in the US, desktop machines accounted for 58% of web visits while while mobile devices accounted for 42% of visits. They also state that the figures are "reversed in emerging markets where mobile devices remain the primary point of Internet access for most individuals." In other words, in 3rd world markets where infrastructure is poor and mobile connectivity is the most available. Those markets are hardly the markets cruise lines - or CruiseCritic - are dependent upon.

The website you linked to also reports that in the US, desktop machines accounted for 58% of web visits while while mobile devices accounted for 42% of visits. They also state that the figures are "reversed in emerging markets where mobile devices remain the primary point of Internet access for most individuals." In other words, in 3rd world markets where infrastructure is poor and mobile connectivity is the most available. Those markets are hardly the markets cruise lines - or CruiseCritic - are dependent upon.

Dependent? No, perhaps not yet. But have you noticed how many more ships are being positioned in the Asia market? It's clearly perceived as being a big piece of "the future".

My format finally changed today and I can't believe how bad the new mode is. Luckily I was able to change it back; when that option goes away, then I'll be going away from CC. The new 'improved' version is slower than dial-up (or internet on many cruise ships!), and I don't have the time or patience to scroll down a full 2 screens just to get to the first message. And then, with the HUGE signature area, you only get one or two messages per page. Yes, you could turn off signature completely, but I enjoy most of them with the more limited information.

I typically read through all new messages for about 4 boards each time I log on, and can skim them in about an hour. There's no way I'll spend the time that would be required to view the same boards in the new format. Sorry CC, but thumbs down!

Edited by Kartgv

What in the heck happened? I am completely lost and can't figure out how to read the board. The link to go back t o the original was nothing but a whole page of mumbo jumbo that I couldn't begin to figure out. I am really mad and don't think I will will be able to use cruise critic if this new crap stays!!!!!!!!!

Just checked - old on my lap top (Windows on Chrome), new on my tablet (Android on Chrome), old on my phone (Apple on Chrome). Yes, don't like the new, but know eventually it will be the only choice. At least it's not as screwed up as Crystal's new website that has been a hot mess for at least 6 months! :eek:

Could not agree with you more. I remember when the Crystal website was so convoluted that I had to leave. As someone that has yet to sail on Crystal, I'm beginning to understand it.

Tonight I am seeing the new CC format on my Kindles and the old format on my desktop and new Android phone. As you indicated, soon there will not be a choice so we may as well learn to use it. After 24 hours of trying to learn it, have to admit that it is getting easier and isn't all that bad.

Edited by Travelcat2

I still haven't seen the new or changed website.

I'm curious why some of us are, and some of us aren't?

It's still in a test mode. And it's more specifically designed for mobile device use, not desk top or lap top.

You can probably see it if you go to the TEST BOARD. Alternativly, you can go to your User CP, Edit Options, and scroll down to Miscellaneous Options. You can change the skin there to "Bug Human" (maybe a comment on how the new format is affecting us?).

I was seeing the new format yesterday, then suddenly it changed back to the old format. But I can see the new format on the TEST BOARD.

Edited by Shmoo here

What in the heck happened? I am completely lost and can't figure out how to read the board. The link to go back t o the original was nothing but a whole page of mumbo jumbo that I couldn't begin to figure out. I am really mad and don't think I will will be able to use cruise critic if this new crap stays!!!!!!!!!

For the link to go back to the original did you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and find skin and choose the default? That is what I did and I now have the old format back again.

I also emailed community@cruisecritic.com and gave them specific examples of what I did not like about the new version. I hope lots of you email them and give specific examples of what you do not like.

Also tell them if there are things you do like. For example I liked the abbreviated signatures, leaving it to us to choose if we wanted to see more of that specific signature.

On my old home computer it looks the same like it was a week before, a month before, a year before.

I've noticed Friday at work that the layout was different, it was difficult to navigate, so I am glad to be back to the old and true.

I was so happy when I was able to switch back to the old format yesterday, and when I logged in this morning, it opened in the old format. BUT when I opened the boards and clicked on the thread I wanted, it went back to the new, much too bright mode, and I can't get it to reset back to the old.

Come on, Cruise Critic .... work WITH US here ... not against us. Allow the users to choose the format of their preference for the entire site. PLEASE!

Fortunately I was able to get it to go back to the Default Format (aka the old format) by switching to the new (bug-whatever) and then resetting it to Default Format.

Hopefully that's a temporary glitch, and the chosen setting will stay until/unless I want to change it.

Edited by flamomo

Hi there

I have to admit with my computer going back and forth over the weekend, I was happy to see the old format come back this morning.

I haven't read this whole thread, so maybe I am missing some of the "improvements" in the new format. Are they listed somewhere so we can assess the differences. Obviously just as a first impression it doesn't make me warm and fuzzy.

It's not going to be the end of the world, but if something is being improved, I would like to understand what the improvement is.

have a good day folks

Hi there

I have to admit with my computer going back and forth over the weekend, I was happy to see the old format come back this morning.

I haven't read this whole thread, so maybe I am missing some of the "improvements" in the new format. Are they listed somewhere so we can assess the differences. Obviously just as a first impression it doesn't make me warm and fuzzy.

It's not going to be the end of the world, but if something is being improved, I would like to understand what the improvement is.

have a good day folks

Apparently, the only "improvement" is that they are catering to the mobile crowd and moving things around, reformatting sizes, adjusting fonts, changing colors, just so people who use smaller devices with their tiny screens can access CC without eyestrain. In the process they are dumping what is a pretty decent format for normal sized screens like laptops and desktops. It's one of those "one step forward, two steps backwards" situations. By refocusing on the "group du jour", they are disenfranchising the group that has been their longtime, loyal members who have made CC the success that it is today. :(

Edited by sloopsailor

All devices seem to be back to the old format today. They are likely tweaking the new website and perhaps when it re-launches it will work on all devices. As someone on another thread said, "they may be having teething problems".:)

What a debacle! They never asked for user input, instead just decided to implement something without even getting user feedback before launching it. That this has created so much confusion, with the vast majority denouncing the new look, it seems they have been designing this turkey in a bubble.

• Administrators

Hi everyone!

As I've mentioned we're working on the gradual roll out. One of the reasons for doing so is to fix technical issues as quickly as possible.

As Keith mentioned, many members were invited to test the new format months ago. However, there is always something to fix and bugs to address when we roll it out to everyone!

We're keeping a list of these, and will address them all one way or another.

For the timebeing, most of you are now seeing the old format on all devices.

Laura

• Administrators

Hi everyone!

As I've mentioned we're working on the gradual roll out. One of the reasons for doing so is to fix technical issues as quickly as possible.

As info, many members were invited to test the new format months ago. Even so, there is always something to fix and bugs to address when we roll it out to everyone!

We're keeping a list of these, and will address them all one way or another.

For the timebeing, most of you are now seeing the old format on all devices.

Laura