WHAT the HECK Happened to this site???

flamomo

What a debacle! They never asked for user input, instead just decided to implement something without even getting user feedback before launching it. That this has created so much confusion, with the vast majority denouncing the new look, it seems they have been designing this turkey in a bubble.

Actually, they did testing on the new format for sometime and asked a sample of users for feedback.

Hi everyone!

As I've mentioned we're working on the gradual roll out. One of the reasons for doing so is to fix technical issues as quickly as possible.

As info, many members were invited to test the new format months ago. Even so, there is always something to fix and bugs to address when we roll it out to everyone!

We're keeping a list of these, and will address them all one way or another.

For the timebeing, most of you are now seeing the old format on all devices.

Laura

When the rollout happens, will we have the option to go back to the old format??

SBtS

Actually, they did testing on the new format for sometime and asked a sample of users for feedback.

And who were this "sample of users"? Just the mobile device crowd? Did they even bother to ask non-mobile users? I never saw any request to test the new format. After all, why bother asking PC and laptop people for feedback when it is clear they weren't designing the new format for them????

Edited by SantaFeFan

Hi everyone!

As I've mentioned we're working on the gradual roll out. One of the reasons for doing so is to fix technical issues as quickly as possible.

As Keith mentioned, many members were invited to test the new format months ago. However, there is always something to fix and bugs to address when we roll it out to everyone!

We're keeping a list of these, and will address them all one way or another.

For the timebeing, most of you are now seeing the old format on all devices.

Laura

The 'new format' makes very poor use of space on landscape format screens [like my MacBook Pro].

And who were this "sample of users"? Just the mobile device crowd? Did they even bother to ask non-mobile users? I never saw any request to test the new format. After all, why bother asking PC and laptop people for feedback when it is clear they weren't designing the new format for them????

Yes, they did. I was one of the people asked to preview the new format and I only access this site on desk and lap tops. Though I have no idea why management is tinkering with something that seems to work quite well I suspect that it has nothing to do with just trying to aggravate people.

When the rollout happens, will we have the option to go back to the old format??

SBtS

I would bet they would keep the old format until it becomes too expensive to maintain. Might be a week, might be years.

Based on the post from Cruise Critic management, the new website is being tweaked and will be re-launched. While it took me aback for a few days, I have now embraced it (after working with it for three days). Everything changes - CC has to be able to accommodate hundreds of thousands of posts. Hopefully their website will make it easier to accomplish that.

Whether this brings in more revenue for them or not is really not our concern since we don't pay a penny to be here yet we learn a ton of information from Cruise Critic and from other posters. IMO, complaining is the worst thing that we can do when CC is providing so much information for us.

IMO, complaining is the worst thing that we can do when CC is providing so much information for us.

Wrong! Complaining tells CC what is not working. Otherwise, they would be operating in a vacuum, not knowing if what they are doing is making people happy or not. You may prefer to be complacent and let others decide things for you and then submissively putting up with whatever they come up with, but many of us prefer to have a say in what we like or don't like, in the hopes of actually using something we like as opposed to something we have to tolerate.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Based on the post from Cruise Critic management, the new website is being tweaked and will be re-launched. While it took me aback for a few days, I have now embraced it (after working with it for three days). Everything changes - CC has to be able to accommodate hundreds of thousands of posts. Hopefully their website will make it easier to accomplish that.

Whether this brings in more revenue for them or not is really not our concern since we don't pay a penny to be here yet we learn a ton of information from Cruise Critic and from other posters. IMO, complaining is the worst thing that we can do when CC is providing so much information for us.

It is, however, a two way street. The information that you get from these boards is the information that WE post to these boards. It doesn't hurt to let the management know what does and does not work for you. I'm sure they want to know. Like with many other matters in life you may not get what you want but your thoughts may affect the decision making process.

Sure they want to know but people complain about anything that changes. In my opinion, this dilutes our comments. In the scope of things, this is really minor. If CC started charging for membership or even access to their website, that would be something to complain about.

SantaFeFan - the new format makes photos on CC standardized (at least on my tablet which is where I was seeing the new format). On my desktop, posted photos were appearing too large. When I looked at the same photos with the new format, they were great. And, yes -- people were asked to comment on the new format a couple of months ago. My only complaint is that I can't touch the screen to make the posts larger (easier to read) with the new format. This pretty much goes against theories that it is being designed for phones (unless everyone can read the tiny print on their phones).

As an aside, my computer has been getting error messages from the CC website for some time. Do any of us really know the reason why this change is occurring? I suspect that the reasons are far deeper than CC wanting to have a "new look".

Edited by Travelcat2

As an aside, my computer has been getting error messages from the CC website for some time. Do any of us really know the reason why this change is occurring? I suspect that the reasons are far deeper than CC wanting to have a "new look".

Never had an error message with CC on my computers. It must be a problem with your computer.

Like some have said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." There isn't anything broken with the old format. And it isn't about wanting a "new look". It's all about that more and more people insist on using the smallest devices they can find to access the web these days, instead of using a larger screen as on a desktop. The CC management has decided that these people are more important and is changing everything to satisfy them at the expense of the rest of us. They have even said so in their announcement:

"What’s REALLY Different?

• Mobile responsive -- the forums will look great on your tablets and smartphones! " With an exclamation point to let us know why they are "really" doing this.

Edited by sloopsailor

Never had an error message with CC on my computers. It must be a problem with your computer.

Like some have said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." There isn't anything broken with the old format. And it isn't about wanting a "new look". It's all about that more and more people insist on using the smallest devices they can find to access the web these days, instead of using a larger screen as on a desktop. The CC management has decided that these people are more important and is changing everything to satisfy them at the expense of the rest of us. They have even said so in their announcement:

"What’s REALLY Different?

• Mobile responsive -- the forums will look great on your tablets and smartphones! " With an exclamation point to let us know why they are "really" doing this.

I had the same error message when on a computer onboard a ship so it is not my computer. In any case, the website may seem fine to us, but we have no idea what CC is going through as there are more and more posts that are being archived for years. IMO, while updating the website to look better, there is likely a lot of technical things going on that we don't know about. There is no way I would ever believe that CC is doing something to upset members.

In any case, the change is happening and we need to all learn how to maneuver the new site.

In any case, the change is happening and we need to all learn how to maneuver the new site.

So, the new format isn't even fully launched yet and you have already given up? Sorry, but I am not one of those "do to me whatever you want - I'll just learn to live with it". I speak up when something isn't to my liking. If my meal is not cooked correctly, I will speak up. If a product I purchase doesn't meet expectations, I speak up. If something I have become accustomed to is changing in a way I don't like, I speak up. And is there is something that I want, I will at least ask for it before giving it up.

How else will I ever get what I want if I let everyone else make the decisions and then just "learn how" to deal with it if it isn't to my liking? You may be satisfied with only being a follower, but I am not. As long as there is still a chance that voicing my concerns may make a difference, I will not roll over and surrender.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I'm definitely not a follower - people that know me will attest to that but I have learned to pick my battles and this simply isn't one of them.

I look forward to hearing comments from people after using the new format for a couple of weeks. I didn't like it at first but now look forward to it returning (mainly so that I can see the many photos that are coming live from one of the ships that we sail on).

If you think that complaining will help, go for it - it is certainly your right to do so.

For the link to go back to the original did you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and find skin and choose the default? That is what I did and I now have the old format back again.

This not no longer working. I hate the new look. It hurts my eyes and if I can't change it back I will stop using cruise critic.

Lois

Enjoying the new format. Will send one suggestion but am now determined to be as comfortable with this format as I was with the old one.

It is not so much the format that is the issue but the color.

All the white is very hard on my eyes. There is not enough contrast and I find it very hard to read.

You CAN change it back here= http://boards.cruisecritic.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

Towards the bottom of the page ( forum skin )

I followed this link and found the option but when I tried to change the skin all I got was the red circle with a line through it. I guess those of us that use a full screen device have to put up with this format. I hate it and will probably not access CC nearly as often.

I followed this link and found the option but when I tried to change the skin all I got was the red circle with a line through it. I guess those of us that use a full screen device have to put up with this format. I hate it and will probably not access CC nearly as often.

I only use a laptop and use ME or IE. This morning all of a sudden I was switched over to the new format using ME and still had the old format using IE. When I was using ME I was able to change back to the old format which I'm currently using. After reading your post I tried to see if I could switch to the new format. Nope (good thing). I get the circle with the red line through it as you posted. Weird! I'm just glad I'm currently able to use the old format. At least for now.

Yeah, it seems that CC has decided to prevent users from reverting to the old format. I remember several years ago a forum called Digg.com made a very unpopular change to their website - refused to undo the changes and the user base fled to a competing site. Digg, which once dominated as a news forum is today irrelevant. I'm not aware of such an alternate site for CC, so maybe they will succeed in forcing this change down its users throats without repercussion. The sad thing is that many websites offer different user interfaces depending on what type of device is accessing it. Why CC decided to sacrifice the PC users-base in favor of handheld devices is a mystery to me.

What's really ironic to me is that just recently a CC editor posted a request for information to help him write an article about past changes by cruise lines that were so unpopular that customer feedback forced them to revert to prior practices. Hello CC.... Are You Listening to Your Customers??