Outrageous Towel Policy!

Roce48

Like so many rules in place today, the pigs and slobs and dishonest and lazy people "ruin it" for the rest of us.

Blame them, not Royal Caribbean.

If everyone were courteous and always returned the towels, never lost them, never left them behind on excursions, never used them to save chairs and then abandon them, then they wouldn't need this new/not new policy.

I was in St. John over Christmas. Lots of boats in port on St Thomas one day. Trunk Bay was packed with cruise ship passengers. I was astonished to see the amount of blue striped towels left on the beach. Not sure which cruise lines uses blue striped towels, but they lost a few towels that day. I have never left a towel on an excursion, even when it was wet and sandy. This will curb people not being responsible for their towels.

Like so many rules in place today, the pigs and slobs and dishonest and lazy people "ruin it" for the rest of us.

If everyone were courteous and always returned the towels, never lost them, never left them behind on excursions, never used them to save chairs and then abandon them, then they wouldn't need this new/not new policy.

For sure! I do not think Royal Caribbean just decided to make a rule for no reason. They are reacting to a negative situation that is costing them money in an amount that they no longer want to absorb NOR should they have to.

Edited by shipshape sam

I think it's not a new policy but the resurrection of the old policy. I'm not bothered by it. I like new towels each day. You just return them and monitor your account.

It is new , a partial change of policy changing the number of towels you are allowed to take and increasing the fine.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

I want to know why its such a big problem on RCI? Most other lines put 2 towels in your room and you leave 2 when you disembark.

👍 That's what I'm used to and it works like a charm. A lot less fuss for crew and passengers alike.

UNCLE! After reading many comments, most of them applauding the policy, I can understand most points of view. But, I find it hard to believe, and depressing to think that a large number of cruisers steal towels.

UNCLE! After reading many comments, most of them applauding the policy, I can understand most points of view. But, I find it hard to believe, and depressing to think that a large number of cruisers steal towels.

I agree that they probably lose very few to actual theft. It is more the inconsiderate folks who take them to an Island and just leave them there, or leave them all over the ship for staff to pick up.

For sure! I do not think Royal Caribbean just decided to make a rule for no reason. They are reacting to a negative situation that is costing them money in an amount that they no longer want to absorb NOR should they have to.

Its not a new rule, its a bit like dress code, not always strictly enforced. On Serenade in November they scanned sea passes of everyone picking up a towel going ashore.

I didn't see any chair hogging due to the crew removing towels from beds, if they paid $25 Im sure they would be pissed on their return. On Explorer in 2015 the rule was in place.

That's how it was on IOS a year and a half ago. Wasn't a big deal. I'm not sure if it's related but I saw less chair hogs on that sailing than I have on other ships.

On our recent Anthem cruise I was up early one morning walking to the solarium on the pool deck to take some shot at the front of the ship at around 7 am and saw a woman reach deep into the used towel bin when there wasn't anyone at the towel desk to grab a few towels to save lounges around the outside pool. I guess she didn't want to chance being charged if her lounge saving towels were takent. As mentioned above I had my camera with me but didn't take a shot of the pool lounge hog but I should have of her with her head right inside that used towel bin. :D

Edited by robtulipe

No complaints from me.

To reduce the possibility of a mistake, just make it simple: On the first day, check out your towels ... every time you need a new one TRADE IT IN, but don't return it ... on the last night of your cruise, return your towels and take your time to be sure your account is credited.

I prefer to "trade in" every time I'm done at the pool anyway. Why? Because occasionally I want to go to the hot tubs late at night, and at that point towels aren't always available.

This statement is so funny coming from you. It seems like every statement I've read of yours, you are complaining about something. I have yet to read anything courteous from you. Could you possibly be part of the reason for the change? It's all to easy to complain behind a compute. Do you even like cruising or just trolling?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Its not a new rule, its a bit like dress code, not always strictly enforced. On Serenade in November they scanned sea passes of everyone picking up a towel going ashore.

I didn't see any chair hogging due to the crew removing towels from beds, if they paid $25 Im sure they would be pissed on their return. On Explorer in 2015 the rule was in place.

Didn't say it was a new rule. It would seem someone is wanting to enforce it for some reason at least on that sailing.

This statement is so funny coming from you. It seems like every statement I've read of yours, you are complaining about something. I have yet to read anything courteous from you. Could you possibly be part of the reason for the change? It's all to easy to complain behind a compute. Do you even like cruising or just trolling?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/QUOT

MM's posts are always spot on and very much welcomed by me and many others. Yours isn't. Talk about complaining!

Wow, such a imposition, you borrow a towel and have to return it! What is wrong with people today? Aren't you lucky you're are in a place where the company lends you a beach towel. Years ago it was unheard of.

How would you like it if you handed out your towels to house guests, say 20, and only got 15 back? You then found another 3 discarded around your pool, but the last 2 you can't find. That's a cost to you. I would like to suggest that you won't be as generous next time.

It never ceases to amaze me what riles some people. I have to read them to convince myself the complaint is real. Talk about first world problems. At the moment I can think of many more serious issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't agree. Been on here for 17+ years since before Cruise Critic was. To single someone out calling names just because you don't agree, not nice... I was on Serenade from Oct30-Dec23 2016. Saw that many times. People got up early saving as many as 8 chairs in the sun that their family never used and another 4 in shade just in case. Every week pool area ran out of towels even though there is more than enough for everyone on the ship...

We also check out at the beginning of the cruise, trade in for fresh towels at the end of the day (no sea pass required), and then check back in at the end of the cruise. Trading in is quick and easy...dump a wad of towels into the bin, tell the attendant how many, and be handed a stack of fresh ones. Never needed to wait more than 30 seconds. No need to go to the towel stand the next morning, no wet towels in the state room (unless you make a late night hot tub visit).