Outrageous Towel Policy!

Roce48

...and they are probably the ones kicking and screaming the most about the pool towel policy.

LOL!! Most likely the case. ;)

"Hey...your momma don't work here...pick up after yourselves"!! ;) :

Plus it is really a case of littering when they leave items all over the beach

anyway. "Leave only your foot prints".

Edited by island lady

The longest I have ever had to wait in a line to get a towel by the pool may have been 30 seconds.
You are on Freedom on deck 4 sitting in a chair, you decide you want a towel. You first have to go to the elevator, wait for one to come, take it to deck 11 walk to the front of the ship to the towel station, get a towel then walk back to the elevators, wait for one and go back to deck 4. Then you have to repeat this to bring the towel back. Other lines have stations all over the ship.

I found it somewhat annoying. In NCL we get two in our room. We can trade in at pool throughout the cruise. If we have two at the end of the week we aren't charged. Unfortunately it does not stop people from reserving chairs at the pool while they go do other things. On RCI I was afraid my towel would disappear while I was in the pool. I don't know the chances of people actually taking those scratchy blue towels.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was in St. John over Christmas. Lots of boats in port on St Thomas one day. Trunk Bay was packed with cruise ship passengers. I was astonished to see the amount of blue striped towels left on the beach. Not sure which cruise lines uses blue striped towels, but they lost a few towels that day. I have never left a towel on an excursion, even when it was wet and sandy. This will curb people not being responsible for their towels.

I noticed it with RCL towels at St. Maarten back when they had it as a free-for-all.

Agree with the poster above that the towels don't have a monogram and are at the low end of the quality scale so don't make very good loot to bring home. Yet it must happen.

Can't say I "like" the policy but it seems reasonable to me.

Edited by goodgriefer

The last few cruises we have been on,,, the towels weren't worth taking home!! Hope they have replaced some of them. So what's the issues check them out and take them back......

In most cases you are right. The last quality towel I had was on Allure's innaugural season, they were nice! When I went back in 2013 the crew were using the nice towels and get got the old worn out blue ones. I wonder if Harmony had/has nice towels for its first season. . But there is always the issue of people getting charged for towels they did return. We have heard plenty of instances of that.

On Adventure in December they totally did have that. They even beeped in your card as you dropped off the towels.

Sounds good! I hope they have this on Navigator in March! I really think having a towel return station available when you board the ship on excursion days is a great perk for everyone with a used towel.:)

This statement is so funny coming from you. It seems like every statement I've read of yours, you are complaining about something. I have yet to read anything courteous from you. Could you possibly be part of the reason for the change? It's all to easy to complain behind a compute. Do you even like cruising or just trolling?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think you need to read more of Merion_moms postings. I have found her postings very helpful in a positive way. She has plenty of courteous postings, not sure but I think if you have her confused with someone different.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The only issue I have with this towel policy is that if you want to use the pool or hot tub the last night, the towel stations are closed. Even if you return the towel the next morning, they don't refund the charge on your seapass that was put on overnight. We had this happen to our 3 sons who returned the towels with their seapass cards the morning of debarkation and they were charged for not returning the towels.

You are on Freedom on deck 4 sitting in a chair, you decide you want a towel. You first have to go to the elevator, wait for one to come, take it to deck 11 walk to the front of the ship to the towel station, get a towel then walk back to the elevators, wait for one and go back to deck 4. Then you have to repeat this to bring the towel back. Other lines have stations all over the ship.

Why do you need a towel on deck 4?

Why do you think you need to return it until the last day?

So your problem isn't with the policy at all, but with how many stations they have, right? Separate issue. :)

This isn't a big deal, except when there is a malfunction. On the Freedom last week, our first RCCL cruise, when my wife went to check out a towel, the worker manually made a beeping sound because the scanning machine was not working. Another worker was there and realized it was unplugged, so we weren't sure if they were checked out or not.

I went to guest services, because we had 2 towels in our room and didn't want to get charged, if they got checked out instead of in when we dropped them off. They just said to turn them in and that they don't keep track to charge people. So not sure if they are selectively enforcing the policy or what.

Also I do get the idea behind the policy, because I am guessing a few people ruined it by taking the towels for the majority of us. Unfortunately this type of garbage happens far to often.

In most cases you are right. The last quality towel I had was on Allure's innaugural season, they were nice! When I went back in 2013 the crew were using the nice towels and get got the old worn out blue ones. I wonder if Harmony had/has nice towels for its first season. . But there is always the issue of people getting charged for towels they did return. We have heard plenty of instances of that.

Over the years noticed that. Sovereign came out, Grandeur, Voyager, all new ships had new towels. Back 1980's the towels were smaller and pink!

Edited by ONECRUISER

Especially when you leave the ship with the towels in your suitcase.

:)

Tom

It's usually when you leave the ship not when you are on the ship. It's no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't mind the policy because I think it cuts down on waste and people just leaving their wet towels on a chair so no one knows if they are coming back or not.

But you have to be careful to make sure the towels get checked back in properly. Once my husband put his towel in the bin but the towel steward didn't check it in. We had to stand in line for an hour at Guest Services on debarkation day to get the $25 charge removed. They did remove the charge but it's not a fun way to end a cruise.

Edited by CruisinCrow

• 2 weeks later...
On our recent Anthem cruise I was up early one morning walking to the solarium on the pool deck to take some shot at the front of the ship at around 7 am and saw a woman reach deep into the used towel bin when there wasn't anyone at the towel desk to grab a few towels to save lounges around the outside pool. I guess she didn't want to chance being charged if her lounge saving towels were takent. As mentioned above I had my camera with me but didn't take a shot of the pool lounge hog but I should have of her with her head right inside that used towel bin. :D

That would qualify as a "there's something you don't see every day" moment. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums