Sniffles - boarding medical questions

Ox Fan Cruiser

I had bronchitis when boarding Reflection last month and checked the box yes that I had a cough. The agent at the boarding counter tore it up and told me to fill out another one that said no.

She said if I checked yes that I would have problems boarding.

I don't know if that is standard practice but it defeats the purpose of filling out the form.

Don't know about sniffles but we declared our daughter had been sick on the way down to the port, as she is car sick, but then got denied boarding in case she had Norovirus. This was on RCI. Once I was assured that we would be given the cost as a cruise credit towards a cruise, I panicked less. So we returned home and eventually used the money on a Celebrity cruise, so it turned out OK in the end!

I had bronchitis when boarding Reflection last month and checked the box yes that I had a cough. The agent at the boarding counter tore it up and told me to fill out another one that said no.

She said if I checked yes that I would have problems boarding.

I don't know if that is standard practice but it defeats the purpose of filling out the form.

Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it takes personal responsibility when you board a ship. Unfortunately some might board with the noro virus (that was contracted at a hotel perhaps), strep throat or other obviously contractable conditions. And instead of waiting the condition out in their cabin, so they don't miss a port or dinner, they choose to spread it among everyone around. A room steward can pick up something VERY easily from one room and take it with him to lots of rooms. Not fair to the "innocent".

I wouldn't have reported motion sickness that could be looked at as noro symptoms.

Yes, I've definitely heard of people denied boarding over those forms. Fine if you are issued a future cruise credit, but kinda doubt they are going to pay for my airfare too, so either way it's crummy.

If you are sick sick the right thing to do is report it. But there's no reason to check yes if it doesn't apply to u. I never get a fever unless I have the flu or a stomach bug. The question asked is do you have a fever PLUS the other listed symptoms. No fever (like a cold or bacterial bronchitis) no need to report your cough.

I always bring antibacterial wipes with me and wipe down my airline tray tables and seat belt when flying and then everything in my stateroom that we touch! Haven't been sick yet but the family gives me the eye roll as I'm wiping!😂

But, I would hope people don't lie on these forms! At the very least, stay in their cabin till all symptoms pass!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Well if I am fine, healthy, fit .. whatever- enough to make my way to the ship I will definetly tell in the form given " NO "! If have to run to the loo every other minute I stay home anyway- THAT can cause embarassing situations.

Those forms are requiered so the cruise lines abide to the rule- but IMO their nothing more than wasted paper!

I always bring antibacterial wipes with me and wipe down my airline tray tables and seat belt when flying and then everything in my stateroom that we touch! Haven't been sick yet but the family gives me the eye roll as I'm wiping![emoji23]

But, I would hope people don't lie on these forms! At the very least, stay in their cabin till all symptoms pass!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Like!! I have the same process in the stateroom, and get the same eye rollls! Hee hee! Keep it up!

The cruise lines are doing their due diligence. Like when the airlines asked if you packed your own bags. People with a high moral compass may answer honestly but any one who knows that they are sick and still shows up to board will not check the sick box. I've even heard that some people smuggle alcohol on board. LOL.

Don't know about sniffles but we declared our daughter had been sick on the way down to the port, as she is car sick, but then got denied boarding in case she had Norovirus. This was on RCI. Once I was assured that we would be given the cost as a cruise credit towards a cruise, I panicked less. So we returned home and eventually used the money on a Celebrity cruise, so it turned out OK in the end!

All well and good but what do you do if you flew down to the cruise. Most of us do that. You have to book a last minute one way plane flight and that can be very costly. Also, do you want to be on the plane while you are sick thus infecting the plane passengers near you and also the crew.

If I was throwing up barfing w diarrhea I might report myself or maybe I would just stay in my cabin for 24 hours to see what happens and I would certainly not wander around the ship possibly infecting others. If I did not get better, I could always report myself sick after the ship leaves port. But just the sniffles or feeling a bit off - no way would I self report.

Lets be real about this.

DON

If you notice there are people standing around watching everyone. They do pick out people and ask if they are feeling ok. We saw this while checking in one day. Sure they keep an eye on things.

Yeah, I see those people every where I go. I think they might be out to get me.

Actually in around 40 cruises I've never seen anything like you mention.