NEW LIVE - Marina, Feb 1 to Feb 8 - Not sldispatcher/David (Too bad - Ha!)

What A Market

Yep, here I am trying to live up to David's live postings from the Marina's next cruise. Ain't going to happen in either style, content, frequency, or color. Feel free to judge, but realize I already recognize my inadequacies! Like many of you, I've followed David on his other cruises. This latest live thread achieved a new level. Based on the hits/reads his thread received, I'm sure many of you feel the same way.

Thank you again, David, for the significant effort I'm sure you put into this work. (If you just "throw it off" casually, then suck it. LOL)

On to the thread.

Currently inbound on an American Airlines flight from Phoenix to Miami. Like many/most of you, I fly in at least one day prior to cruise. Flew in same day once for an Oceania cruise embarking in Southampton. Last person to board. Never, never will I do that again. Way too stressful for starting off a vacation.

I hope you enjoy the new thread.

Thanks Paul! Looking forward to the now "traditional" ranking of the Specialty Restaurants.

This cruise has a particularly lively Roll Call. Interesting, given this is only a seven day cruise.

I invite all the other active Roll Callers to add their thoughts during this cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will be looking forward to your 'live from the Marina'. I am a fellow Phoenician who will be on an American Airlines flight in April headed for Miami and the Marina. All of these wonderful 'live' reports are making our wait to April seem so much shorter. Thank you to all who take the time to report.

No need to live up to anyone's postings. A different perspective is more than welcome. We all have a take on things and I am looking forward to reading yours.

It all leads up to our first O cruise. Hoping that reading such detailed reports will still leave a bit of "mystery" when we get onboard :)

Ok, landed in Miami safe and sound. Bags arrived -- always a moment of trepidation. Plan was to use Uber or Lyft from airport to hotel. Note: Always confirm, beforehand, that these "ride sharing" companies have permission to pick up at the airport. In many cities they have authorization to drop off at airport, but not to pick up.

Good news -- MIA permits pick up. Chose Lyft because I used them for transportation from house to airport in Phoenix. Lyft is running a special this week where second ride, same day, is free. Great deal. Never seen it before.

Lyft and Uber can be a bit weird with pick up at some airports. A bit confusing with all the cars coming and going. My driver made it easy on me by exiting his car and walking up to address me. How did he know I was his ride? Who knows, but I was definitely the idiot staring at his cell phone looking lost. Ha!

Staying at The Miami Beach EDITION. (Note: Punctuation is very specific. That's how you know you're staying at a trendy hotel.) Chose from a selection of Marriott properties. I'm Platinum Elite, which basically means I travel too much for work. Used points, otherwise I probably wouldn't spend the money on a property like this for a stay of less than 24 hours. Very nice property with amazing beach location. Awesome lap pool.

The main draw for staying at this property was the restaurant. I know. Who eats at hotel restaurant when you're in an amazing city like Miami? Unique opportunity though with this hotel. The in-house restaurant is the Matador Room. Top rated restaurant in Miami. Also the executive chef is Jeremy Ford. I'm a freak for the TV show Top Chef. Jeremy recently won as Top Chef and I wanted to take the opportunity to try his food. Amazing meal. Definitely a top twenty, maybe top ten, dining experience for me.

Signing off now. "See" you tomorrow! Boarding day -- WooHoo!!!

Ok, landed in Miami safe and sound. Bags arrived -- always a moment of trepidation. Plan was to use Uber or Lyft from airport to hotel. Note: Always confirm, beforehand, that these "ride sharing" companies have permission to pick up at the airport. In many cities they have authorization to drop off at airport, but not to pick up.

Good news -- MIA permits pick up. Chose Lyft because I used them for transportation from house to airport in Phoenix. Lyft is running a special this week where second ride, same day, is free. Great deal. Never seen it before.

Lyft and Uber can be a bit weird with pick up at some airports. A bit confusing with all the cars coming and going. My driver made it easy on me by exiting his car and walking up to address me. How did he know I was his ride? Who knows, but I was definitely the idiot staring at his cell phone looking lost. Ha!

Staying at The Miami Beach EDITION. (Note: Punctuation is very specific. That's how you know you're staying at a trendy hotel.) Chose from a selection of Marriott properties. I'm Platinum Elite, which basically means I travel too much for work. Used points, otherwise I probably wouldn't spend the money on a property like this for a stay of less than 24 hours. Very nice property with amazing beach location. Awesome lap pool.

The main draw for staying at this property was the restaurant. I know. Who eats at hotel restaurant when you're in an amazing city like Miami? Unique opportunity though with this hotel. The in-house restaurant is the Matador Room. Top rated restaurant in Miami. Also the executive chef is Jeremy Ford. I'm a freak for the TV show Top Chef. Jeremy recently won as Top Chef and I wanted to take the opportunity to try his food. Amazing meal. Definitely a top twenty, maybe top ten, dining experience for me.

Signing off now. "See" you tomorrow! Boarding day -- WooHoo!!!

Looked up the menu - looks great.

Will keep it in mind - thanks.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Edited by Paulchili

Getting ready to board the Marina this morning. Planning to arrive at port sometime before noon.

Quick shout out to my DD, Shannon, who along with her SO (Blaine) have joined Heidi and I on numerous cruises over these last several years. Cruises included a memorable maiden voyage of the Riviera, a cruise from London to Barcelona on the Regatta (loved, loved the ports on that itinerary), and last summer's cruise on the Marina from London to Copenhagen. Those of you that have followed my ramblings before know how much I treasure the time I've had to spend with Shannon.

Shannon is not joining us for this trip. Too busy with work. But that's also a sign of her current healthy condition. Feeling blessed.

Here's a photo of the two of us from last summer's cruise on the Marina. Scenic snapshot while on a hike in Kristiansand.

72cd929a332cade8404ef0cc051fe0a1.jpg

I arranged this beautiful day in South Florida for your embarkation. Actually, I ordered it to thank David for his magnificent blog which I literally drank in daily in anticipation of our 7-day on 2/18. But I'm sure I'll be thanking you as well so I'm keeping the day splendiferous....for you:)

Looking forward to tagging along with you virtually. Beautiful photo of you with your daughter above.

Bon Voyage!!!

Every time I see that skyline it reminds me of the cruises we have taken from Miami sitting outside on the Terrace Café having lunch after checking in. I get all calm and happy just thinking about it.

Enjoy your cruise..we will be following along.

I arranged this beautiful day in South Florida for your embarkation. Actually, I ordered it to thank David for his magnificent blog which I literally drank in daily in anticipation of our 7-day on 2/18. But I'm sure I'll be thanking you as well so I'm keeping the day splendiferous....for you:)

Looking forward to tagging along with you virtually. Beautiful photo of you with your daughter above.

Bon Voyage!!!

Dec, Jan, best weather in So. Fla. that I can remember. Unless we can find something else we will have to wait till Dec. to be back on Marina. Much too long. Hope to watch her depart later on the port webcam. :):):)

Entire shipboard internet system won't stay up. Natives getting restless. Of course, sitting in port in Miami doesn't make much difference for gaining access to the rest of the world. :)

Thanks for all the well wishes, encouragement, and comments about Shannon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk