Salty dog pub now $12?

coconutmonkey

According to someone who is currently on the Ruby and ate at the Salty Dog last night, the dinner is now $12, the difference being you pick two dishes instead of three. I'm looking forward to trying it next week when I'm on board.

It is a bit confusing as I have read that Salty Dog had been reduced to $12 and only offered a choice of 2 items rather than 3.

Edit: I just now checked the Princess site and it shows this info in the Salty Dog footnotes:

The Salty Dog Gastropub is now available on Crown Princess, Emerald Princess and Ruby Princess.

*The Whiskey Bar Menu is now available on Crown Princess, Dawn Princess, Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess, Golden Princess, Ruby Princess, and Sea Princess. Coming soon to Caribbean Princess, Coral Princess, Grand Princess, Island Princess, Regal Princess, Royal Princess, Star Princess and Sun Princess.

Pricing and availability of Salty Dog Gastropub and Whiskey menu items vary by ship and are subject to change.

*The emphasis was added by me.

Edited by Thrak

...and the menu on the Princess web site

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/the-salty-dog-gastropub/salty-dog-menu.pdf

shows only select two gourmet plates for $12.

Question is, are all three ships with Salty Dog now officially open at lunch time in lieu of the formerly free Pub Lunch, or are the reports of this just a may-vary-by-ship trial? (Based on the response above from Emerald, could be a regional thing...)

I recently read some posted patters for the Ruby and it advertised the Salty Dog pub for $12. Has the price been reduced from $19 to $12 and does that include dinner?

Many thanks.

They say that's for lunch

Not sure if it's the same menu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/the-salty-dog-gastropub/salty-dog-menu.pdf

Question is, are all three ships with Salty Dog now officially open at lunch time in lieu of the formerly free Pub Lunch, or are the reports of this just a may-vary-by-ship trial? (Based on the response above from Emerald, could be a regional thing...)

I've heard there is still a free pub lunch day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We sailed on the 1/7 sailing on the Ruby, no free pub lunch, $12 salty dog offered in its place, hardly anyone there, more staff than customers

Looked at the posted patters on the next but one cruise free pub lunch was back once out of 3 sea days.

Princess keeps trying these extra fee venues they never seem to work

From memory

Charging for room service on the Regal

Charging for alfredos on the Regal

Charging for night sky pool lounge on Regal

Pub lunche on the Ruby

Certain items in international cafe

Certain desert items in horizon court

Ice cream on lido deck

All have gone and I guess all have failed

Give up Princess and less of the nickel and diming

Is there perhaps a difference between the "to/from" Australian ports with all onboard charges in AUD$ v's all other cruises in US$.

...but then you could argue, why aren't they doing the same in the other specialty restaurant charges?

I know it was around the $19AUD on the Emerald last month...but that was pick 2 dishes plus a desert.

From memory

Charging for room service on the Regal Isn't this free expect for pizza

Charging for alfredos on the Regal Isn't this free also

Charging for night sky pool lounge on Regal

Pub lunche on the Ruby

Certain items in international cafe small range, plenty of other choices complimentary

Certain desert items in horizon court

Ice cream on lido deckreally, this was free also. I only remember charges for Gelato deck 5

I did 2 cruises on the Regal last year. Didn't get charged for the items listed above. When did these changes come into effect..??

Edited by Lanwood

I did 2 cruises on the Regal last year. Didn't get charged for the items listed above. When did these changes come into effect..??

No, my point was they have charged in the past or tried too.

The ice cream stands on the Lido deck became no-charge around 2008 or 2009; before that they offered name-brand hard scoops rather than just generic soft-serve.

When the first International Cafes debuted on Crown in 2006 and Emerald in 2007 there were multiple upcharge items, not just one or two chocolates. Disappeared around 2009 as well, though one item--Fondues--was briefly tried in the HC of Royal and Regal.

And when Regal was launched in 2014 there were charges for room service and Alfredo's, which given the lack of warning and discongruity with Royal Princess (as most pax on the Regal shakedown cruises has already sailed Royal the year before) were greeted as one might expect. And shouted down and out shortly afterwards.

We sailed on the 1/7 sailing on the Ruby, no free pub lunch, $12 salty dog offered in its place, hardly anyone there, more staff than customers

Looked at the posted patters on the next but one cruise free pub lunch was back once out of 3 sea days.

Princess keeps trying these extra fee venues they never seem to work

Last May on the Emerald, the pub lunch at the Wheelhouse Bar was free on 1st sea day, $19 on 2nd sea day, then reverted back to free again on the next.

The Princess website now shows the cover charge at $12/person with a choice of only two plates rather than three.

Wonderful. Hopefully they will phase it out. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't bother me either...was on the Crown twice with the SD & wasn't tempted either time.

Recently on the Star with 9 sea days the Pub Lunch was only offered twice which on other similar itineraries was offered more often.

The Crab Shack was also only offered on 2 of our 15 evenings onboard. We've had the CS available twice on port intensive 7-day cruises when it was $19. Now that it's $29 & offered less frequently that's an indication to me that passengers are unwilling to pay the same price as at the Crown Grill or Sabatini's. It appears that a higher price has resulted in less demand & thus is now being offered less often.

Was on Ruby last week (7-day Mexican Riviera) and can confirm that Salty Dog was in fact $12/pp for dinner only (there was never a Salty Dog lunch option on our cruise) and included two choices only plus dessert. I did not partake, but my husband and my mom dined one night; had the Ernesto burger, crab cake, lobster mac, and poutine (between the two of them) and neither were blown away (they said it was tasty but not earth-shattering). My mom was also a little irritated that she could not take her dessert to go as she was too full from her entrees to finish; seems like something you're paying a premium for should make some allowances, but I digress.

Free pub lunch (not Salty Dog) was offered on one of the first sea days and included choice of fish and chips, bangers and mash, ploughman's lunch, and I'm pretty sure there was a fourth option of some sort of pie (can't remember if it was shepherd's or steak and kidney).

It sounds like YMMV, but this is what took place on the Ruby just last week (1/21-1/28) on a North American itinerary.

Edited by funonabun