Medical emergency in the South Pacific

nellydean

Hi,

Looking for some reassurance, I guess. Husband and I are interested in an Hawaii South Pacific cruise later in the year. However, after leaving Tahiti, it takes 8 full days to get back to LA, and I was wondering what on earth would happen if a passenger had a medical emergency that required urgent treatment in hospital?

I rang Princess and was told that a helicopter would be sent, but would that still be possible if it happened mid way on the voyage back (thought helicopters could only fly a few hours max)?

Not basing it on anything other than medical emergencies do arise out of the blue, and it's a long long way home!

Many thanks.

They were able to evacuate a person on an Antarctic cruise a couple of weeks ago. Also, I noticed that the bows of some cruise ships have a helipad. I just would want to make sure I had really good travel insurance!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They were able to evacuate a person on an Antarctic cruise a couple of weeks ago. Also, I noticed that the bows of some cruise ships have a helipad. I just would want to make sure I had really good travel insurance!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Good travel insurance is of little help when there is no place to land a plane, and the ship is too far from land to dispatch a helicopter.

If you were within range of a helicopter, and you are correct, they can only fly a few hundred miles (since they have to fly both ways without refueling), you could get evacuated. If there was a Naval vessel equipped with a helicopter within range, you could get evacuated. Otherwise, and this would generally be about 6 of your 8 days at sea, you would be kept onboard and the medical center would be in contact with a medical advisory service to assist them with your care until you could be evacuated. This is a problem that all mariners deal with on a daily basis, and most mariners don't have the benefit of a medical center with doctors and nurses available, only the Captain or a deck officer trained as medical officer.

Most of the helipads on cruise ships are for "winch only" operations, since the really long range helicopters are too large, and given the motion of the ship in the open ocean, it is far safer for both the flight crew and the patient to do a winch operation.

My first thought was that there would be other islands you'd pass by, but looking at a map it is pretty desolate between the two places.

I guess you would have to rely on the ship's hospital.

We were on a cruise where the next stop was Tasmania. There was a medical emergency and the ship arrived a full day earlier than scheduled. However, that wouldn't help much if you were four days into an eight day leg.

Hi,

Looking for some reassurance, I guess. Husband and I are interested in an Hawaii South Pacific cruise later in the year. However, after leaving Tahiti, it takes 8 full days to get back to LA, and I was wondering what on earth would happen if a passenger had a medical emergency that required urgent treatment in hospital?

If practical, the ship could divert to Hawaii.

If practical, the ship could return to Tahiti.

It all depends on what point in those 8 days the emergency occurs.

This happened on one of our South Pacific cruises, the 28day R/T Los Angeles... we had left Papette and had 8 sea days back to LA. On day 4, a crew member became very sick.... the Captain made the decision to turn back around and head to the Marquesas Islands ..... we did so and the entire process went very smoothly. We just entered the bay area of the little town , lowered a tender boat and removed the sick crew member, then headed back out to sea. Once we were back to our orginal position on the ocean before we turned around, exactly 24 hours had passed by. Yep, you guessed it...... we were now going to be 24 hours late returning to LA!!!!! so instead of Sat. we would be there on Sunday........ for those passengers that booked their airfare through Princess, they were fine... they didn't have to do anything. Those of us who booked independent air, we had to scramble to get new air ( at our cost.)....... I must say though, first time we had experienced that and Princess did an outstanding job of organizing it onboard. In the attruim, they had different lines for all the different airlines... one crew member for each line would get the airline on the phone and explain what was going on, and as each passenger would complete their re-booking, the phone was passed to the next passenger, without hanging up, so it went very quickly . We had asked the Captain as to why we did not divert to Hawaii , and he said that everyone would had to of disembarked in Hawaii and fly home, and many on that trip could not fly, due to medical reasons. So, the closest was the Marquesas Islands. Very interesting end to our cruise.

It was the Crown, I was on the following cruise, which was shortened by a day. Fortunately I had bought the insurance which paid for a night at the Crowne Plaza and my meals. I think we got some FCC and OBC money on the lost night.

It was the Crown, I was on the following cruise, which was shortened by a day. Fortunately I had bought the insurance which paid for a night at the Crowne Plaza and my meals. I think we got some FCC and OBC money on the lost night.

Thats right too.... we had heard that many people had already flown into LA for the cruise, only to find out about the delay. Many unhappy passengers on your cruise, I believe. Ours too, but the Captain and his crew did the best they could under the circumstances. Some on our cruise, had major flight costs.... we were chatting with our next door neighbours on our balcony... they were from Holland, and so for a last minute flight back home, they were looking at a bill of 3000.00 ( don't forget they already paid for their airfare way back when, when they booked the cruise). Another couple from Australia said they had to fork out over 10,000.00. Like I said, interesting end to our cruise!:)

Thats right too.... we had heard that many people had already flown into LA for the cruise, only to find out about the delay. Many unhappy passengers on your cruise, I believe. Ours too, but the Captain and his crew did the best they could under the circumstances. Some on our cruise, had major flight costs.... we were chatting with our next door neighbours on our balcony... they were from Holland, and so for a last minute flight back home, they were looking at a bill of 3000.00 ( don't forget they already paid for their airfare way back when, when they booked the cruise). Another couple from Australia said they had to fork out over 10,000.00. Like I said, interesting end to our cruise!:)

When I went down to drop off my suitcase, I saw all the local news stations filming side by side where they could get a good angle on the ship, on that walkway just outside the port!

We were on the delayed Crown cruise also...we live local, so no flight issues for us, but I thought the Captain handled it very professionally, made sure air and communications were handled for all and kept us up to date on what was happening and the delay. Good communication makes a lot of difference. Keeps everyone calm and squelched all the rumors that begin to circulate when there are no facts:(

We met up with Capt Lawes on another cruise and he said the crew member had an emergency appendectomy...was dropped off in the Marquesas, helicoptered to Tahiti, had surgery, then was flown home to recover. He had heard all went well and he was making a full recovery.:p

I am a nurse and usually check out the medical center and talk to the nurses...very interesting and they can handle many things and are well equipped for a small ships hospital. But insurance is a must the older we get:rolleyes:

The reality is that when you are crossing an Ocean (like the Pacific) there are many places where you are totally out of the range of helicopters (or any other reasonable rescue). That is why all passenger cruise ships carry one or more physicians and have a medical facility. Is this ideal? Nope. But, in most cases the onboard staff is capable of handling an emergency and stabilizing the patient until such time as they can safety evacuate the passenger off the ship.

For those that are uncomfortable with this situation....perhaps they would be best to consider another form of travel...or stick to cruises that have itineraries that remain closer to shore-based medical facilities.

Hank

I was on the Eurodam a year ago summer and they were practicing in windy conditions evacuating someone via helicopter (that is, with the copter not landing). It looked very real except they moved the "person" extremely quickly along the line!

If you are out of helicopter range and your illness is not treatable on board - you will die. I am sure that this happens on occasion. If that is offsetting to you, I would suggest that cruising is not for you.

I did a 14 day Grand Canyon raft trip back in the day before satellite phones. The guides carried radios with them that might or might not have been able to contact any airplanes flying overhead. You should have seen the release that we had to sign for that trip which started with and I sort of quote - "this is not a trip to Disneyland. You could die on this trip." and then went on list the other significant but less permanent things that could happen to you. People do die on raft trips.

Your post sounds as if you are the worrying type. Either get over it or do not take trips where you are a significant distance from your safety options. Those are basically your choices.

DON

I mean no disrespect to the OP, however if this is a major concern perhaps this type of cruise itinerary is not your best vacation option.

Otherwise, make sure you have good insurance and have a Great Time. :)

There is nothing wrong with asking the question "what would happen if?"

IMO -the OP is being very responsible for asking the question. It is now up to them if they want to proceed with the cruise after being better informed.

I think we all know someone in the 20-40's with no health history to have had a freak medical incident happen. Anyone can become sick.

A couple of notes:

1> As noted, its going to depend on the nature of the emergency and the location of the ship at that time. This is a risk with any cruise.

2> Most ships, especially the newer ones, have a fully equipped medical center staffed at all times (comparable to somewhere between an urgent care and emergency room).

3> If the onboard staff cannot handle the issue, the next step(s) can be to request a diversion/medevac and/or consult with land based medical staff via a telemedicine hookup (which receives priority bandwith, etc). Whether an evac/diversion is feasible will depend on how far from land, weather conditions, potential other resources in range, etc. That's the captains call. Nearby naval vessels may be pressed into service, for example (and not just the US Navy)

4> Another option, rarely used, but has happened is that if absolutely necessary the crew will call for medical experience (or blood donations) on board. This is a critical use only option for a number of reasons, but its there.

If none of those are an option, or the situation is simply too severe to be handled with the time/resources available, the medical staff will make their best effort, but every ship also has a morgue (and a specific procedure to deal with such things).

On a Holland America cruse a few years ago I met and was chatting with one of the nurses on the ship (a contract nurse) and we were talking about this subject. She said she was amazed at the number of people who are not in good health and who take cruises with many sea days in a row. She specifically said that in the South Pacific there are times where you are days from land and medical emergencies arise which there is really nothing the on board medical staff can do anything about. She also said the hospitals in the South Pacific are not the quality most of us are used to.