What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

"Secret balconies" what is that?!?!?!

We are on the Getaway and if you look at the deck plans there are certain balcony rooms that are "angled" and are bigger than the typical balconies. There are 2 balconies on deck 8 that don't show up as angled on the deck plans but which are actually very large angled balconies.

The one we are in can hold 2 loungers and 2 chairs and a table in a category BD which is the cheapest balcony. They are cabins 8138/8738. There are videos on YouTube of them where you can see the difference.

I have a balcony; bid on a mini-suite. Do they ever do just a good old fashion upgrade? Like they wouldn’t give me a mid-ship balcony or an extended? Just checking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Typically no. You can always call and ask how much to upgrade or see if your cruise fair may have dropped and NCL may offer the upgrade. If that's the case call who you booked through.. Good luck!!

We are on the June 1st cruise on the Dawn, and we bid from an interior cabin to a balcony. I didn`t bother bidding on an oceanview cabin. We got notified on May 14th that they accepted our bid.

What was your bid

5 days out and upgrade bid still shows “pending” — there is currently one mini available. Seems that they are holding out to see if anyone bids on the suites.

I’m fine with my family balcony but that “vertical MRI” shower is not ideal. 🤦*♀️

Guessing it will be Saturday when I hear something for our Monday departure.

Just got the offer today. I’m in a mini suite on Breakaway so all my offers are for Haven, would be sweet but not holding my breath, will keep looking to see if there is an actual price drop and then just book

Its frustrating... we are travelling a week ahead of our cruise, and will not have access to print luggage tags, etc, if we win our bids. Ya kinda wanta know where you are staying!

We cruised in Feb and left home on Friday to drive to NOLA for our Sunday cruise and still hadn't received word regarding bid. Email came later on Friday. We printed out luggage tags from hotel Sat night. I would have liked to had everything printed and ready before that.

My upgrade bid was finally processed today around 10:50 AM. We are on the Gem out of NYC to Canada and New England this weekend (6/2-6/9) We initially paid $799 for a GTY inside room in the IC category. We were placed in an I1 on the 10th deck aft. Our bid was $350 pp for a balcony and we were placed in a BA on the 10th deck. We likely way overpaid, but there were not many balconies still showing as available and we wanted to make sure we would get one, so we bid $50 shy of the max ($400) to go from an inside to a balcony.

In all, we still saved money over having booked the room directly. We paid $799+$350+$82.80 for the specialty dining package (already had UBP in out initial price), for a total of $1231.80. Had we booked a BA balcony up front, it would have been $1499. So we saved $267.20 pp.

We booked on the Sun 3 night cruise departing this Friday June 1. We just booked about 9 days ago with an inside guarantee. We received the upgrade email so bid $15 for outside and $50 for balcony. Those were the only two bidding choices. Yesterday we were finally assigned an inside on a higher deck and I was pleased with the cabin assignment. This morning I got an email stating We were being moved down to a porthole on the lowest floor very far forward. Then when I signed into MyNCL a few hours later we had been moved again, still porthole but midship.

The fare dropped in the past nine days since we booked, so even only bidding $15 we paid more than they are booking for today.

We did nearly the same situation last November on the Sky and won the balcony for a $50 bid.

So you win some, you lose some. I think I would have preferred the location of the original inside we were assigned, but hey I’m on a cruise ship so I’ll be happy with whatever I have ��

This morning I got an email stating We were being moved down to a porthole on the lowest floor very far forward. Then when I signed into MyNCL a few hours later we had been moved again, still porthole but midship.

Wait, so you were originally assigned one stateroom after your upgrade was accepted and then you were moved to another stateroom later in that same day? Did you call and request a move or did they just majorly muck something up?

We sail 6/4 and currently have an Oceanview Picture Window. Bid is in for a Balcony. Saw on another thread folks that are sailing on 6/3 got their upgrades today!! I am excited and hoping we find out more than 3 days before departure. :)

Yesterday I could still book every type of cabin on our sailing. Today all show as unavailable on the website we booked through and on NCL.com the sailing isn't even an option. There were tons of cabins yesterday. Balconies alone on one deck, there were 10. Anyone know why they would be "unavailable" 5 days before?

Wait, so you were originally assigned one stateroom after your upgrade was accepted and then you were moved to another stateroom later in that same day? Did you call and request a move or did they just majorly muck something up?

Yes. They assigned us the inside yesterday (which is what we booked), then emailed that we had been moved to a porthole on deck 4. Then a bit of time passed before I was able to log in and the cabin number had changed from the email. I did not make any call to request any changes.

Yesterday I could still book every type of cabin on our sailing. Today all show as unavailable on the website we booked through and on NCL.com the sailing isn't even an option. There were tons of cabins yesterday. Balconies alone on one deck, there were 10. Anyone know why they would be "unavailable" 5 days before?

Jenny, if you are referring to the Sky sailing on June 4, I saw the same as you and like you wondered what is going on so I called our NCL agent. He said that a big group booked a number of rooms and now none available. We already have a stateroom but had bid to upgrade so far without success. It looks doubtful the bids we put in will be accepted although he did tell us they could have some rooms set aside for those who bid and just have not been notified as yet. That happens and it takes a little while for the site to be updated although he did not hold out much hope for us. We have an inside porthole on the 8th floor. It will be our first inside stateroom and our last four cruises have been on the Haven and 3 Penthouse suites so it will be interesting to see how we like the inside. Regardless we will be on the ship and will arrive the same time as everyone else at a lower price.

Jenny, if you are referring to the Sky sailing on June 4, I saw the same as you and like you wondered what is going on so I called our NCL agent. He said that a big group booked a number of rooms and now none available. We already have a stateroom but had bid to upgrade so far without success. It looks doubtful the bids we put in will be accepted although he did tell us they could have some rooms set aside for those who bid and just have not been notified as yet. That happens and it takes a little while for the site to be updated although he did not hold out much hope for us. We have an inside porthole on the 8th floor. It will be our first inside stateroom and our last four cruises have been on the Haven and 3 Penthouse suites so it will be interesting to see how we like the inside. Regardless we will be on the ship and will arrive the same time as everyone else at a lower price.

You're in for an adventure but I LOVE your attitude :) I have a call in to our TA. We are in a picture window with a bid to a balcony. We'll be fine with our cabin without the upgrade, it just looked more promising yesterday. Crazy a big group would book this close to sailing. Esp. with the requirements oh well.... I'll see what the TA has to say. BTW says "pending" still :)

Edited by JennyB1977
additional information

I agree. I thought it would be no problem for the upgrade with the number of available balconies still available as of yesterday. When I called our travel agent he likewise was surprised at the late big group booking. Don't give up hope you may still get the balcony you bid on. Good luck.

My upgrade bid was finally processed today around 10:50 AM. We are on the Gem out of NYC to Canada and New England this weekend (6/2-6/9) We initially paid $799 for a GTY inside room in the IC category. We were placed in an I1 on the 10th deck aft. Our bid was $350 pp for a balcony and we were placed in a BA on the 10th deck. We likely way overpaid, but there were not many balconies still showing as available and we wanted to make sure we would get one, so we bid $50 shy of the max ($400) to go from an inside to a balcony.

In all, we still saved money over having booked the room directly. We paid $799+$350+$82.80 for the specialty dining package (already had UBP in out initial price), for a total of $1231.80. Had we booked a BA balcony up front, it would have been $1499. So we saved $267.20 pp.

Congrats! We might be neighbors. We were hoping for an upgrade, but does not look like it is going to happen, but I am happy to have an Aft cabin

Seeing something similar to this but on a different sailing.

We're not due to sail for a couple of weeks, but 2 days ago there were many suite options available. Inside, Oceanview, Balcony etc. Even took a screen shot to send to a friend so have double checked. Yesterday there was only 'just cruise inside' available, today the sailing isn't an option.

We have bids still pending on upgrade options, but at the lower end so never held out much hope anyway.

$200pp. We still paid $1000 less than we would have if we had reserved the balcony, probably more because the service charges are still those of an inside cabin. I`m happy with it.

Aren't the service charges for an inside cabin the same as a balcony?

Bob