What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

Sure, if you get an upgrade for a big discount it might be worth it. To pay the normal price difference between the two, not so much.

not sure what that difference is....maybe not. it's such a personal preference too....other than a 2 bdr suite, i'm not sure i would be interested in any other suites without the haven....the space is what makes the 2 bdr worth it to me, but i could live without a butler and concierge

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm so glad you had a good time - I followed your posting about your bid process and was so excited for you.

We are in the Haven on the Breakaway in 14 days, and on the Gem Haven in November for a 10 day Caribbean. When we traveled in our 1st suite, it was on the Gem 2015 June for our anniversary as an upgrade (old system with bartering on the phone). Not a Haven, but an aft suite. We had an Officer's Dinner in the Haven, and fell in love with the area. There are absolutely advantages to having your own restaurant / lounge on the Breakaway classes, but the quietness, intimacy and super-attentive service of the Haven for us beats a regular room any day.

Sorry about having to return to reality - the big question is..are you going Haven again for your next cruise?;)

Warm Regards, Amy

can't wait to hear about your two cruises! i wish we could go again that soon. i would love to experience the haven with the restaurant/lounge too. my husband really enjoyed the haven, but wants to potentially do another disney cruise so not quite sure what's up next [emoji4]

not sure what that difference is....maybe not. it's such a personal preference too....other than a 2 bdr suite, i'm not sure i would be interested in any other suites without the haven....the space is what makes the 2 bdr worth it to me, but i could live without a butler and concierge

I should have been more specific. I'm talking about the difference between a SC and H4 on the Jewel class ships. The suites are nearly identical but the price difference roughly runs around $1,500 per person (pax 1 and 2) more for the H4. So the typical question around here is it worth that much to be in the Haven. YMMV.

I really don't understand what's to hate, honestly.

You book the stateroom that you want (or can afford). Then, you decide how much an upgrade is worth to you. If they can upgrade you for that price, you get an upgrade at a price that you decided was reasonable. If they can't, then they don't, and you get the cabin you originally wanted.

Where's the problem?

Not a problem! Just getting excited about my trip and hoping for the best. Perhaps my words were too strong.

My Getaway cruise is 79 days out and yesterday, people who booked through NCL directly started receiving their bid upgrade offers. I booked with TA, and even though I confirmed with my TA that they didn't opt out from the program and some of their guests were able to bid and got upgraded, I didn't receive any email, and I didn't see any Upgrade Advantage Program banner when I log on to myNCL.

I called NCL, the lady told me that I have to complete the online checkin before they would offer me to bid. I told her that my friend completed the online checkin, but she didn't get the offer either. She then said NCL cap the number of offers, and that means they have reached the max number of bid they would accept.

I know that people got the bid offer without completing the online checkin, so she is wrong on that part for sure. However, I am not sure if she is wrong on the maximum number of bid offers NCL would send out. If I am NCL, I wouldn't limit the number of bid offers I send out, because the more people take part in the program, the higher chance they would get more money out of it.

Can I bid on more than 1 cabin? for example there a few diff options - can I place bids on a few (do I have a better chance of getting one that way) or should I bid on 1 and if I get rejected then bid on another?? Not familar with process, also what are my chances of getting haven for a $500 Bid? and why do some not have the option lower than $1000-$1500? can I just write in my bid?

Can I bid on more than 1 cabin? for example there a few diff options - can I place bids on a few (do I have a better chance of getting one that way) or should I bid on 1 and if I get rejected then bid on another?? Not familar with process, also what are my chances of getting haven for a $500 Bid? and why do some not have the option lower than $1000-$1500? can I just write in my bid?

You can bid on all the cabins they offer to you to bid on. No you cannot write I your bid. I have no idea of your chances with a $500 bid. Obviously the higher the bid the better the chance. The rooms that have high minimum bids are very expensive -this is a bid not a give away :D

I will freely admit that I haven't read all four pages of posts (a lot of them said much the same thing over again so..) but I have two questions for you lovely people.

1,do these upsell bidding emails get sent to European sailors? Or just to those who booked on the US site?

2, I know if you go up to Haven you do not get the extra perks that were offered to those who booked Haven directly and that is fine. My question is do you get to use all the Haven facilities - lounge etc, and do you have use of the concierge??

I will freely admit that I haven't read all four pages of posts (a lot of them said much the same thing over again so..) but I have two questions for you lovely people.

1,do these upsell bidding emails get sent to European sailors? Or just to those who booked on the US site?

I think it is for US bookings only. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

2, I know if you go up to Haven you do not get the extra perks that were offered to those who booked Haven directly and that is fine. My question is do you get to use all the Haven facilities - lounge etc, and do you have use of the concierge??

Yes you get access to all the Haven facilities. Restaurant, bar, concierge, butler, pool, sundeck. And you'll love every second of it!

/quote]

I think it is for US bookings only. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong. I know it also applies to Canadian bookings, at least.

BIDDING--- I did not get an e-mail, but the bidding option appeared on the MyNCL page on the website. I had an Oceanview- Deck 8 - porthole. I was able to bid on a Balcony... and also on a Mini Suite. There was a sliding bar to choose the amount of my bid. 3 days before sailing I was notified I won my bid... for an AFT_FACING MINI SUITE !! I'm not sure, but think it was around $300 pp. Anyone can bid, but I see some travel agents do not want to participate..... and their customers do not get to bid then.

My Getaway cruise is 79 days out and yesterday, people who booked through NCL directly started receiving their bid upgrade offers. I booked with TA, and even though I confirmed with my TA that they didn't opt out from the program and some of their guests were able to bid and got upgraded, I didn't receive any email, and I didn't see any Upgrade Advantage Program banner when I log on to myNCL.

I called NCL, the lady told me that I have to complete the online checkin before they would offer me to bid. I told her that my friend completed the online checkin, but she didn't get the offer either. She then said NCL cap the number of offers, and that means they have reached the max number of bid they would accept.

I know that people got the bid offer without completing the online checkin, so she is wrong on that part for sure. However, I am not sure if she is wrong on the maximum number of bid offers NCL would send out. If I am NCL, I wouldn't limit the number of bid offers I send out, because the more people take part in the program, the higher chance they would get more money out of it.

There are surely LOTS of "internal rules" and decisions they make on the bid process. For example, if they only need to move ONE person from OV to Balcony... they are not going to send out hundreds of bids. Unless they want to. They can make whatever decisions work for them.

I would not try to figure out what they do, and never ever expect them to share what they do. It is their business.

Does anyone know if the big box ta are participating in the bidding program?

I booked through Expedia and got the upsell banner on the NCL website at the 80 day mark. Check with your TA though as participation is at their discretion.

In a bit of shock right now.....bid the absolute minimum ($1000/pp) for the H4) on the Gem this Saturday and our bid was just accepted!! We were originally in an aft balcony with our 2 kids. I debated canceling my bid numerous times bc i wasn't sure i wanted to give up the aft views. My husband has no idea! Very excited....hope i made the right decision!!

I'm so glad to read this. We are booked on an Aft facing balcony and bid the minimum on a H5. Keeping my fingers crossed

Would anyone know if you can bid on a Haven, preferably an H7 or H9 from a Spa Balcony (B9)? Also, do they allow bidding on 14 day cruises or is it limited to 7 day cruises? Everything that I have seen here seems to be a 1 week cruise.

There are surely LOTS of "internal rules" and decisions they make on the bid process. For example, if they only need to move ONE person from OV to Balcony... they are not going to send out hundreds of bids. Unless they want to. They can make whatever decisions work for them.

I would not try to figure out what they do, and never ever expect them to share what they do. It is their business.

Sorry, I don't understand why couldn't I comment what do I think would benefit the company the most (from pure revenue generation stand point). Of course they wouldn't tell me how they implement the program, that's confidentia, and I don't think those who answer the phone actually knows how it is implemented anyway. I just want to share the info I got from NCL agent to those who are interested in knowing.

IF I am the one who implement the program, I don't see why shouldn't I send out hundreds of bid offers for just 1 upgrade spot. For such a program, everything should be computerized, sending out more bid offers wouldn't cost them more, except more CPU and memory while calculating the optimal offer combinations to accept.

Having said that, for sailings that they can do very few upgrades (due to cabin availability), they might give priority to those who booked through NCL directly, so that there is an incentive for people to book through NCL directly instead of going through TA. For my sailing, all those who mentioned they got the bid offers are those who booked through NCL. (Again, this is a guess which I want to share with those who are interested in guessing how the program works to increase our chance of getting the bid offer and getting their offer accepted.)

Just got my bid rejections for 3 of the 4 that i placed, not sure what that means about the 4th maybe???.

The bid page is now missing so i can't check the status of the 4th.

They were all in the upper fair range with one of them just touching the good range for Escape on Saturday.

Just got my bid rejections for 3 of the 4 that i placed, not sure what that means about the 4th maybe???.

The bid page is now missing so i can't check the status of the 4th.

They were all in the upper fair range with one of them just touching the good range for Escape on Saturday.

Can you still click the link on your confirmation email to modify your bid? That may tell you if the fourth one is processing, which I found out means you got it.

I booked a 7 day Alaska cruise for 3 at an inside guarantee rate just a month out. Got the upgrade email the day after I completed on line sign in about a week later. Bid $50 for an oceanview - they charge only the first 2 passengers. Dial indicated "poor" chance of getting it, but now 10 days from departure I have been upgraded to an unobstructed oceanview with picture window.

So those of us who booked through a TA might get to bid? I'm just seeing this ans trying to catch up on new information. I'm bronze level if that makes any difference..booked in a large balcony...for March.

Apparently TA have to opt in. Level does not seem to mean anything.