What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

We are on the Breakaway last week of March. We are currently in a large balcony room. Received my email 3 days ago and bid on a Haven forward facing penthouse with balcony. Minimum bid was $400 for 2 guests, so a total of $800 minimum. I bid $430/ person for a total of $860. I hope this bid gets accepted. The more i read about the Haven, the more I think I need it! I'm dying to know if/ when it will be accepted so if anyone can answer my question that would be great!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've never sailed NCL before so I don't know much regarding the sizes and accommodations of the rooms. We're currently booked in a balcony stateroom and received the email for the opportunity to upgrade. I'm given the opportunity for either a 1 or 2 bedroom suite or penthouse, deluxe penthouse or owners suite. If I bid on the suites, is it worth the extra money? Yes, I realize that's a subjective question ;) Just looking for expertise from those who have sailed on a standard balcony room. There will be 4 of us in the room (2 9 years olds).Thanks!

Sorry, this thread is about upgrade bids.

You might want to start a specific thread asking if paying extra for suites are worth it. Or search for some that talk about this.

The easy answer = yes for some, no for most.

How long after you receive the bid invitation email do you have to place your bid? And is there any benefit to bidding right away vs. closer to the cruise?

-Keith

I would guess you could bid right up until the moment they make a decision in which bid they will accept - and in most cases, that would be the highest bid.

In "normal" bidding/auctions it does often help to wait. But that is when you know how many other are biding. Since you do not know for sure when they will decide or what anyone else is bidding, I can not see any reason to hold off bidding.

If you KNEW there were few or no bids as you approached the cutoff time, you could then of course bid less. But, none of this information is available.

We only bid on one upgrade, it's my understanding you can do more than one... is that correct?

Yes, you can bid on several different categories of Haven/Suites. If your bid is for balcony or mini-suite it's just one bid for balcony and one for mini-suite. but for the H/S categories you bid separately for each type of suite.

However, if you 'win' a bid, it's their choice which category you are awarded so make sure it's a category you will be happy with. Good Luck:D

0bfef03d9a05958276dd782a16a3a65c.jpg

42d45006d449731103f91e277b787096.jpg7aa31064e4d3bc1c9326d460b779154d.jpg

Here's what my email looked like I received it about 80 days out. I originally booked midship balcony. I decided to try for the haven spa and bid minimum bid of 400$ pp. I haven't Hurd back yet and hear most people hear back around 1 week before there sail date.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is a question. I am traveling alone and I have a balcony booked on a cruise (not leaving anytime soon) do you think they would offer a bid to someone traveling in a balcony room (BA) alone or do you think they would make offers to couples / multi travelers in a room? And is there really any need for a single traveler to try to get a Haven room? A spa suite would be nice.

I traveled alone on the Escape last october and had my balcony room upgraded to Haven. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I loved the smaller dining room, the semi private pool (although I didn't get in, I did use the sundeck). The service, the experience, absolutely fabulous!

I understand that they offer upgrade bids on sold cabins in case of last minute cancellations.

That's part of it. But it's a ladder. If the biggest suite on the boat is open, someone is going to have their bid accepted and be upgraded into it. When they are moved, their old cabin will open. That lower tier cabin gets filled with the next upgrader. Then the cabin they just were pulled out of gets upgraded with the third upgrader. On down to some low tier of cabin where demand for "better" ceases.

If every class of cabin above you is sold out, I'd think your odds of getting upgraded are low. But if vacancies exist in any class, everything should shuffle upward by at least that number of open cabins. Plus late cancelations. This lets NCL maximize revenue by filling every cabin at the highest rate the market will bear (highest combo of original fare + bid), and shifts any vacancies down to less desirable cabin classes.

OK so there's lots of talk about this new upgrade bid system that went fleet wide recently.. so Im wondering

- what offer everyone received

-what cabin do you have now?

-did you bid ?

- if you don't mind telling what did you bid

- was it accepted

-how long did it take to get accepted?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

We just bid on a balcony from an inside in the Sky. $50 per person. We sail August 21st and it says we will be notified no later than 2!days prior to sailing.

Has anyone actually had any luck having two cabins upgraded to the haven through the bidding process when traveling with family or friends? Any tips/suggestions?

Even if someone has had luck, it does not mean the next person will.

I would think the chances of getting BOTH cabins upgraded would be slim. After all, with hundreds of balconies and maybe only a few havens, only a few will get them.

If I was traveling with others, I would not go this route. It would become a real issue if one cabin upgraded and the other did not. Nothing I would want to experience.

Hello

My family and I are on the GEM July 1st. This is the first time for us on the NCL so we are not sure all that happen with this line. I was reading about the bidding and when I received the email to bid, I put one in for a mini suite for $100.00, thinking that no way would NCL accept it. Yeeterday I received the email saying it was, and we went from a cat BC standard with a balcony to a mini cat MB. I looked at cabin online and from what I can tell it looks good. We like the extra room and storage and location seems to be ok. From what I can tell the Spa is above us, so not expecting much noise. I did try and move to a room down the hall that had a pullman, and when my TA talked to NCL they sid no since the cabin was $200.00 plus more then what I already paid. We will see what happens on this cruise to see if we will go on NCL again.

Good cruising to everyone

Norm

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question:

Does NCL fill all of the suites if they have upgrade offers? For example: Right now at 65 days out (still a long time yet), there is 18 (9-H4 and 9-H6) available that hold 4 people if there is suites still available close to sailing will NCL accept upgrade bids for all of the suites? Or if NCL think the bids are too low will they just leave the suites unfilled?

Thanks

Hello

My family and I are on the GEM July 1st. This is the first time for us on the NCL so we are not sure all that happen with this line. I was reading about the bidding and when I received the email to bid, I put one in for a mini suite for $100.00, thinking that no way would NCL accept it. Yeeterday I received the email saying it was, and we went from a cat BC standard with a balcony to a mini cat MB. I looked at cabin online and from what I can tell it looks good. We like the extra room and storage and location seems to be ok. From what I can tell the Spa is above us, so not expecting much noise. I did try and move to a room down the hall that had a pullman, and when my TA talked to NCL they sid no since the cabin was $200.00 plus more then what I already paid. We will see what happens on this cruise to see if we will go on NCL again.

Good cruising to everyone

Norm

Enjoy your cruise! We love the Gem!

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question:

Does NCL fill all of the suites if they have upgrade offers? For example: Right now at 65 days out (still a long time yet), there is 18 (9-H4 and 9-H6) available that hold 4 people if there is suites still available close to sailing will NCL accept upgrade bids for all of the suites? Or if NCL think the bids are too low will they just leave the suites unfilled?

Thanks

From my experiences, they will fill all of the suites. They will take the lowest on minimum bids because I won a bid that way.

From my experiences, they will fill all of the suites. They will take the lowest on minimum bids because I won a bid that way.

Did you notice if the minimum bid ever decreased from the initial opportunity to bid? For instance, if it were initally set by ncl at $500, did you ever see the minimum decrease to a lower amount weeks or months later?

Did you notice if the minimum bid ever decreased from the initial opportunity to bid? For instance, if it were initally set by ncl at $500, did you ever see the minimum decrease to a lower amount weeks or months later?

On mine it did decrease. However, the only way I saw it was because I cancelled the offer and then went back in and noticed it was a lower offer, so I bid on it all over again.

On mine it did decrease. However, the only way I saw it was because I cancelled the offer and then went back in and noticed it was a lower offer, so I bid on it all over again.

That is really good to know and it makes sense if they don't get enough bids. I just couldn't justify bidding at the originally offered rates, so now we know to check again later....just in case.

I booked an obstructed ocean view cabin (10 days before sailing). Four days later we got an invitation to bid on a balcony for a suggested price of $300 per person and a mini suite for a suggested price of $500 per person. This is our first NCL cruise (have sailed 40ish times with other lines. We bid 165 per person for the balcony and 220 per person for the mini suite. We were notified 2 hours later that our balcony bid was accepted. We are very happy with that. It is still 1100.00 less total than what we would have paid at full price.

I wonder if Haven can get upgraded to a different category Haven? They let me bid, but I'm thinking it will be tough to get the upgrade. I'm in an H5 and bid on H4, H3, H2.

I'm sure they would rather upgrade you than someone in a non-Haven. They would make the $$ from you for the upgrade PLUS they would then have your H5 to upgrade someone else. Then they can possibly take that person's mini-suite or balcony to upgrade another.