Craziest thing you've seen another passenger do

danielbriere

I have a story to share....

Every year I take a cruise with a group of girlfriends. Last year on Celebrity we really, REALLY enjoyed the free drink package :). After a fun time at a martini "tasting" we were walking. (Ok we were stumbling!) through the shopping area on the ship on our way back to our cabins. We stumbled upon the cruise director and one of his assistants. We had a lengthy conversation with them. The cruise director kept saying "your girls are having fun..aren't you?" We went on to tell him how GREAT THE MARTINIS are! Well the next morning I woke up and turned the tv on and imagine my shock to hear my voice on the tv saying "I love the martini's that Joseph our favorite bartender makes! ". It turns out we stumbled into the cruise director shooting his morning show without realizing it. (Like I said, we had a few martini's) basically the entire show was myself and my girlfriends talking, laughing and the cruise director looking on thoroughly amused. Needless to say for the rest of the cruise people would make comments about seeing us on tv and Asking us about martinis We had a lot of laughs over it and made some great new friends on that cruise! I imposed a two martini limit on myself after that day!

This happened while dining one night in a specialty restaurant (not on X). Husband and wife dining at a table that was back to back with a family of 4, mom, dad and 2 children about 5 and 3. The children were standing in the banquet and jumping around, and one of them kept hitting the woman sitting behind them in the head. She politely turned around and asked the children to sit down and stop hitting her in the head. The children continued their behavior and their parents were oblivious. Finally the woman's husband got up and approached the family's table and asked "excuse me, would you like me to take your children outside so that you can enjoy your meal?" The dad looked up, smiled and said "Thanks!" He didn't get the sarcasm and was prepared to turn his two kids over to a total stranger!

This happened while dining one night in a specialty restaurant (not on X). Husband and wife dining at a table that was back to back with a family of 4, mom, dad and 2 children about 5 and 3. The children were standing in the banquet and jumping around, and one of them kept hitting the woman sitting behind them in the head. She politely turned around and asked the children to sit down and stop hitting her in the head. The children continued their behavior and their parents were oblivious. Finally the woman's husband got up and approached the family's table and asked "excuse me, would you like me to take your children outside so that you can enjoy your meal?" The dad looked up, smiled and said "Thanks!" He didn't get the sarcasm and was prepared to turn his two kids over to a total stranger!

Unfortunately, not at all surprised by this. Sad.

For this reason I would rather dine with a well behaved child! This behavior is unacceptable!

• 4 weeks later...

On one of our cruises my husband and I went to the MDR on the first night, which we always look forward to, to meet our table mates for the week. It was a table for 10. There was one couple seated already so we went to take our seats next to them, soon 2 more couples came. We all exchanged pleasantries and all was fine until the menus came. The one woman (who we had sat next to) was extremely upset that there was no shrimp cocktail on the menu. She called over the waiter and he said it would not be available until the 3rd evening. She began to scream at him and said that she had been on many cruises and she has shrimp cocktail every night of every cruise and this was unacceptable. She demanded to speak to the head waiter. He came over and she continued to scream (loudly). He told her the same thing that the waiter had told her. After he walked away she continued her rant. It was extremely awkward for all of us at the table. During dinner another waiter walked by our table, and she called over to him. He had been her waiter on her last cruise. They talked and she proceeded to tell us that the "shrimp situation" would never have happend if he was the waiter. Well, after dinner, this couple left and my husband and I decided that we didn't care to sit at this table anymore because of her actions and how uncomfortable we had felt. We felt really bad for one of the other couples too, they were young newlyweds on their first cruise and were shocked by what had just happend. We asked the head waiter of we could be assigned to a new table for the rest of the cruise. He was wonderful and understanding and told us that we would get a new table assignment delivered to our stateroom before dinner the next day. We did receive the new table assignment the next day and looked forward to starting fresh. We arrived at our new table, again a table for 10. There were 6 people already there and we asked where we should sit to not upset what they had done the night before, they were really nice and we sat down and started what we thought would be a great rest of the week with our new tablemates. Well...after a few minutes all of a sudden another couple came to join the table and guess who it was???? The waiter for our new table was the waiter that the angry lady the night before had on her last cruise. She had made arrangements to change to his table. What are the chances?? When she saw us she asked us "Did you change tables because of me"? What were we supposed to say??? She was as obnoxious at this table and after they left the table that night, we told our new tablemates what had happend. It was a joke for the rest of the trip. We've been doing dining on our own since.

I was on Ovation of the Seas in Asia, and they have a communal basin for "washy washy" outside the Windjammer buffet.

Person beside me spat in the basin instead of washing his hands.

Would have been more hygienic not to go washy washy in this case.

Last month on the Silhouette we were sitting in Cellar Masters sipping our welcome aboard mimosas when a woman walked in, looked around, and said, "Are we on the boat yet?"

we were looking for the lifeboat , ready for the drill - didnt expect a wine bar on the lifeboat. #shouldhavegoneforadrinkspackage

oh and by the way that was not 'a woman' that was SWMBO [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 months later...
Fish Lover, remind me to never cruise with you.....and no way they let the parrot on board. They have repeatedly told me I cannot bring my service elephant.....

I busted out a giant laugh, too funny!

The craziest thing that I saw - a guy wore his flannel pj bottoms to the dinning room - almost everynight on a 9 night cruise.

On another cruise, a passenger, a complete stranger to me, asked me to watch her very small purse, while she helped her companion in a wheel chair go to the restroom. :eek: - It was a purse you wear over your shoulder, and very small!!??!! I did watch it for her out of shock of the request, and when she came back I told her, I kept my eye on her purse and she could rest assured that it didn't move around, or bother anyone, it sat very quietly where she put it and she should be very proud how she raised it to behave... Amazingly she bought me a nice glass of wine when she came back.

• Haha 1

Was on the Ruby Princess at the International Cafe. There was a Scottish gentleman in all his finery. A brave lady went over and asked him if there was anything under his kilt and, without hesitation, he lifted it up to expose his jewels. Couldn't believe my eyes but clearly he was a bit intoxicated.

On another cruise, someone had an accident in the Thallasotherapy pool. Ruined the cruise for some as it had to be closed, drained and sanitized, which took a few days. Newer ships don't have those any more.

This was us, not other passengers. On my very first cruise, many years ago on the old Celebrity Horizon, we were at the quiet forward bar up high at the top of the ship, having a drink before dinner - 2 couples. My friend, after perusing the cocktail menu, asked the lovely young cocktail waitress what was in a particular listed drink. The waitress replied in a distinct, but not thick accent (we thought Scandinavian as we retold the story through the years), that the drink contained vodka, cranberry juice, semen and lemon juice. My friend blinked, and gamely said "I think I'll have a Manhattan, please." We sat there for a very, very long time (the large lounge was pretty much empty except for us, the sweet waitress and the bartender) before we totally lost it, laughing uncontrollably. The whole time we were waiting for her to clear off so we could lose it without being total jerks, our eyes are frantically going back and forth between the 4 of us, exchanging the signals good friends can do - "Did I really hear what I thought I heard??? What was it really?" and finally several heartbeats later - Seagrams, the drink has Seagrams in it.

My dear friend, who passed away much too young a few years ago was an OB-GYN, but for the rest of her days when she ever asked about a drink, the answer was always "No semen in that one!"

I love this thread- so funny what one can experience on board ships. " My " incident happen just three weeks ago on board the Queen Mary2 - I did a back to back Transatlantik. One the westbound leg out of Southampton I had a great table right in the middle of the Britannia Restaurant- which overlooked almost the whole dinning room. Also very nice tablemates. The second leg- first evening- I looked forward to my new tablemates- since the other people at my table dissembarked in New York. So for a while I sat alone- all of sudden the waiter appeared with another gentleman assigend to the table. Well as usual the waiter was about to seat said gentleman next to me. That he ignored and seated himself right across from me! The waiter was a bit baffled- but well so be it.

So I expected him to greet - which one usualy does when arriving at a table and there is already sitting someone! Nothing of the sort- we got the menues. So I decided to take matters in my own hands and said " Good evening" ! No reaction - the guy kept looking away from me as he as done since arriving at the table- always kept his head turned away so not have to look at me. Strange. In case the good man was hard of hearing I repeated myself- " Good evening" ! No reaction- only visible change was a slight shivering of his hand and he turned beet red!

So no a single word was exchanged during the whole of the dinner. Never happend before in 35 cruises- voyages! The weirdo called for the Maitre d´and complained loudly about his express wish to be seated by himself! Above all he was very rude to the poor waiters. Anyway the next evening three other tablemates turned up and we had a great time during the second leg of the voyage!

Was on the Ruby Princess at the International Cafe. There was a Scottish gentleman in all his finery. A brave lady went over and asked him if there was anything under his kilt and, without hesitation, he lifted it up to expose his jewels. Couldn't believe my eyes but clearly he was a bit intoxicated.

On another cruise, someone had an accident in the Thallasotherapy pool. Ruined the cruise for some as it had to be closed, drained and sanitized, which took a few days. Newer ships don't have those any more.

We were docked in St Martin across the way from one of the Monster of the Seas ships. There was a naked young man passed out face down on his verandah. When his significant other came out he rolled over in full view of everyone on our pool decks. She frantically tried to cover him with a towel which he kept removing. It was hilarious. 😜

On an Pacific islands cruise with mostly Aussies, 5 of us in an elevator, two husband and wife couples and myself, doors open a couple of floors down to find two lovely young ladies very worse for wear who had obviously bought an all you can drink drinks package dressed up for gala night in short mini dresses and high heels, one had fallen over and landed on her knees with her bottom high up in the air and elbows on the floor but managed to not spill her cocktail, her drunken friend was laughing at her and screaming to get up and go get some more but the view towards us was of her skirt hiked up and her bare bottom in the air, both men looked and then suddenly found the elevator numbers fascinating, as the lift doors closed one lady quietly said, I think she forgot to put something on when getting dressed, the other lady said I think she has a thong on, to which one man replied I thought she had high heels on not thongs but she forgot her knickers and he promptly got an elbow in the ribs, for non Aussies flip flops are called thongs down here and we wear em on our feet

Jesus! I love it! Ignorance is bliss for some:);p

2016 November Silly out of Civitavechia: VERY large lady in the hot tub holding everyone hostage---blocking the entrance/exit-- talking so loudly you could hear her for miles. She arrived in Rome, took a cab and the driver would not take her "good American money" as he wanted ooo-rows. She was quivering with anger! He asked her to go into her hotel and get said ooo-rows. She was outraged as she gave the hotel $50 of her good American money but only got 45 ooo-rows back! Lady, stay home!! HA!