Explorer on PBS

hvsteve1

No, she had no further details beyond the fact that the crew on Explorer have all been asked for their opinions on what works and what doesn't. Since they are the ones who have to make everything work day after day, I felt really pleased that their views have been taken into account. But somewhere, I'm sure I've heard the new build referred to as "the next Explorer-class ship", which suggests some similarities, doesn't it?

The second Explorer class ship will sail in 2020 (no month given yet). They will likely do what was done when Oceania planned her second "O" class ship (the Riviera). While she looks almost identical to the Marina, there were changes made. NCL/Regent management is in Italy this month - possibly working out details with the shipbuilder, designer, etc.

Size Matters:

Just for the record, as for comparing sizes of ships, both military and civilian mentioned earlier.

The "Mighty MO" Missouri, now a floating museum at Pearl Harbor (take the onboard tour if you get the chance) was an Iowa Class Battleship. Iowa Class ships displaced 45,000 tons, and were the largest United States battleships ever-built. 16" main guns.

The world record for battleships, however, goes to the Japanese. The Yamato and Musashi displaced 72,000 and 72,800 tons, respectfully. Main guns were 18". However, bigger is not always better, in the age of naval aviation. Both ships were sunk. No Iowa class battleship was lost in WWII.

GoARMY!

Of course, comparing cruise-ship tonnage to warship tonnage or cargo ship tonnage can be complex as the article below indicates:

http://www.beyondships2.com/faq-gross-tonnage.html

Actually, I knew that but was going for dramatic effect.

How about the Titanic at 46,329 gross tons versus Explorer at 54k for apples to apples? What used to be considered very large ships pale by comparison to the mega-ships (on which we never intend to sail!).

The second Explorer class ship will sail in 2020 (no month given yet). They will likely do what was done when Oceania planned her second "O" class ship (the Riviera). While she looks almost identical to the Marina, there were changes made. NCL/Regent management is in Italy this month - possibly working out details with the shipbuilder, designer, etc.

Thanks for the info, TC2

Hope you will keep this forum updated with any more info on the new ship as it comes available

Not sure that everyone will be rushing to book the 'Maiden Voyage' this time around

Yep, I had that set to record but was actually around to watch it last night. Good show. I enjoyed it very much. I kind of wished they'd have gone into a bit more detail on the interior, fitting it out, installing HVAC, cabin buildouts, etc.

But overall I really enjoyed it.

I think if they played it on the ship's CCTV system, though, they'd probably want to edit out the sections with the other ships sinking. I know my mother, for one, would NOT want to see those. :eek:

Yep, I had that set to record but was actually around to watch it last night. Good show. I enjoyed it very much. I kind of wished they'd have gone into a bit more detail on the interior, fitting it out, installing HVAC, cabin buildouts, etc.

But overall I really enjoyed it.

I think if they played it on the ship's CCTV system, though, they'd probably want to edit out the sections with the other ships sinking. I know my mother, for one, would NOT want to see those. :eek:

Yes - definitely did not like that part;) Perhaps another show could be made from Regent's perspective rather than from the builders perspective. This would give a complete picture of the building of the "Most Luxurious Cruise Ship Ever Built"".

P.S. Paula, those photos are fabulous! I scrolled up and saw food and thought I was on a different thread. Did you use

Tapatalk, Photobucket or ???

I am trying to learn how to post photos. These should be from Explorer's Pacific Rim restaurant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yummy :)

The photos are being displayed perfectly; you are encouraging me to try photo uploading using Tapatalk

No, she had no further details beyond the fact that the crew on Explorer have all been asked for their opinions on what works and what doesn't. Since they are the ones who have to make everything work day after day, I felt really pleased that their views have been taken into account. But somewhere, I'm sure I've heard the new build referred to as "the next Explorer-class ship", which suggests some similarities, doesn't it?

So I wonder what the Regent marketing dept will come up with to describe the next ship?

"another of the most luxurious cruise ships ever built"

or if they cut down slightly on the cost of the finishes

"nearly the most luxurious cruise ship ever built"

Good to hear that Regent are gathering feedback to improve the next ship

Edited by flossie009

So I wonder what the Regent marketing dept will come up with to describe the next ship?

"another of the most luxurious cruise ships ever built"

or if they cut down slightly on the cost of the finishes

"nearly the most luxurious cruise ship ever built"

Good to hear that Regent are gathering feedback to improve the next ship

Arguably, they'd just say "the most luxurious cruise ship ever built." That's a statement about a point in time and can be matched or exceeded in the future.

Now if they'd said "the most luxurious cruise ship that will ever be built"...

Arguably, they'd just say "the most luxurious cruise ship ever built." That's a statement about a point in time and can be matched or exceeded in the future.

Now if they'd said "the most luxurious cruise ship that will ever be built"...

I like that!

If they pay any attention to CC comments, maybe the new ship will be:

"The most luxurious ship with night lights ever built."

The Explorer can become the most luxurious ship without night lights.

:)

Not everyone likes night lights. Some doctors feel that it is better to sleep in total darkness (they even recommend not have night lights for children). If Regent wanted to provide passengers with something to enable them to see better at night, a small LED motion detector light might work a bit better.

Loved the program, especially the historical perspective of other disasters. 800 souls lost when one liner tipped over because there were too many life boats on the top deck following the Titanic disaster. Also fascinating that they have catalogue every item on the ship down to the plates to keep track of the weight on board. What about the weight of the passengers? I wonder if they leave room for that?

The only improvement with the program I would have suggested was to have an actual tour of the ship, because there were plenty of shots of the ship in what I would call "the buff" or not ready for prime time. It would have been nice to see the finished product in all it's glory. Still hats off to the builders, that is some amazing engineering and logistics.

Not everyone likes night lights. Some doctors feel that it is better to sleep in total darkness (they even recommend not have night lights for children). If Regent wanted to provide passengers with something to enable them to see better at night, a small LED motion detector light might work a bit better.

In the interests of passenger safety in a ship built as the most luxurious, one would have hoped Regent would have taken measures to have supplied a nite light in each cabin. Then passengers would have the choice whether they feel the need to use this or not.

It's not a good sign when you need to take your own lite on a luxury ship is it? Jean.

In the interests of passenger safety in a ship built as the most luxurious, one would have hoped Regent would have taken measures to have supplied a nite light in each cabin. Then passengers would have the choice whether they feel the need to use this or not.

It's not a good sign when you need to take your own lite on a luxury ship is it? Jean.

Just remembered that the Explorer has a tiny ceiling light outside of the bathroom that can be turned on and off from next to your bed. IMO, this is better than a nightlight. Not sure how I forgot about it. However, since there has been complaints, it seems that Regent can't please everyone.

Most of us bring something from home to make our onboard experience more to our liking -- we bring a power strip as we want to plug in our devices in the same place (with the USB ports on the Explorer, this is less necessary but we will still bring one to plug I the hairdryer and other hair appliances.. I've also brought a motion detector night light and it became a bloody nuisance.

Guess I don't see this as a "luxury ship" issue. For all I know, Carnival has a night light and they aren't luxury.

Night lights are available with switches, dimmers, and motion sensors.

Until I read your post, it hadn't occurred to me that Regent's management might be so incompetent that they would provide night lights that would be unable to be switched off, unable to be dimmed to an appropriate level, placed in such a manner that they interfere with sleep, and not include a motion sensor.

Yes, I am assuming Regent could get this right on "the most luxurious ship in the world with night lights". Those travelers who still don't want night lights in their cabins could book on the Explorer, "the most luxurious ship in the world without night lights." :)

Tonnage vs (dead) weight

Weight

The Explorer weight is 4,800 DWLT or 4,800,000 kilos. 10,560,000 pounds

Oasis of the Seas is 19,189 DWLT 42,215,800 pounds

The battleship Iowa is 45,000 DWST (Short tons) or 90,000,000

pound/40,909,090 kilos

The Titanic was 52,000 DWT 104,000,000 pounds

USS Ronald Reagan Carrier is 113600 DWST or 227,200,000 pounds

In terms of actual weight, cruise ships are relative lightweight.

Gross tonnage is a measurement of the internal volume of everything inside the ships hull and wall measured in cubic meters.

Explorer =55,254

Iowa = unknown, but I would guess 15,000

Titanic=46,328

Ronald Regan unknown but I would guess 200,000+

Oasis of the Seas. 151,400

What is of most important to me is the passenger to space area ratio. Here the Explorer is a clear winner at a reported 68. (Voyager is 55) Note Seabourn new ships are 70.

j

As incredible as the Explorer is, I would think that designing and constructing something as monumentally gigantic as the upcoming 167,000 ton Norwegian Bliss would be a little more challenging...

in spite of all that inflated drama surrounding Fincantieri having to weld the two halves together. I think every modern ship is built that way.

But I did think that supernova hot underwater welder was pretty cool.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have always been surprised that any cruise line allows guests to bring their own power strips on-board. These could be a fire hazard

Flossie - then I would guess that there are about 200-300 million "fire hazards" in the U.S., because that's about the same number of houses in the U.S. that have working power strips in them (for computers, modems, printers, in them). :p