Explorer on PBS

hvsteve1

Night lights are available with switches, dimmers, and motion sensors.

Until I read your post, it hadn't occurred to me that Regent's management might be so incompetent that they would provide night lights that would be unable to be switched off, unable to be dimmed to an appropriate level, placed in such a manner that they interfere with sleep, and not include a motion sensor.

Yes, I am assuming Regent could get this right on "the most luxurious ship in the world with night lights". Those travelers who still don't want night lights in their cabins could book on the Explorer, "the most luxurious ship in the world without night lights." :)

Just for clarification, I didn't say that "Regent" management had night lights installed that could not be turned off ...... it was Oceania's management (yes - I know that FDR is CEO above Regent, Oceania and NCL but he is not in charge of every single detail -- Oceania has their own President/CEO.

As posted above, Explorer does in fact have a night light that can be controlled by a switch next to your bed (although, IMO, this has nothing to do with the ship being luxury). Lastly, it is extremely interesting that in all of the years that the Navigator, Voyager and Mariner have been sailing, the night light issue has been a non-issue. Why is everyone picking on the Explorer (especially since most posters on this thread have not stepped foot on the ship)?

Flossie - then I would guess that there are about 200-300 million "fire hazards" in the U.S., because that's about the same number of houses in the U.S. that have working power strips in them (for computers, modems, printers, in them). :p

However in those cases, if you have a faulty or overloaded power strip, you are only putting yourself at risk not a ship full of passengers in the middle of the ocean

However in those cases, if you have a faulty or overloaded power strip, you are only putting yourself at risk not a ship full of passengers in the middle of the ocean

If Regent considered power strips to be a fire hazard, they would not allow them (just as they do not allow irons, coffee makers - other than their own or electric tea pots. In the U.S., power strips are used to prevent an overload on your computer so they would hardly be a risk on a cruise ship (and Regent must agree).

Not everyone likes night lights. Some doctors feel that it is better to sleep in total darkness (they even recommend not have night lights for children). If Regent wanted to provide passengers with something to enable them to see better at night, a small LED motion detector light might work a bit better.

Just for clarification, I didn't say that "Regent" management had night lights installed that could not be turned off ...... it was Oceania's management (yes - I know that FDR is CEO above Regent, Oceania and NCL but he is not in charge of every single detail -- Oceania has their own President/CEO.

As posted above, Explorer does in fact have a night light that can be controlled by a switch next to your bed (although, IMO, this has nothing to do with the ship being luxury). Lastly, it is extremely interesting that in all of the years that the Navigator, Voyager and Mariner have been sailing, the night light issue has been a non-issue. Why is everyone picking on the Explorer (especially since most posters on this thread have not stepped foot on the ship)?

The only reason I could guess why you posted about not everyone liking night lights and doctors not recommending them in some cases was that if Regent provided night lights then passengers would somehow be subjected to night lights that couldn't be turned off. Otherwise, I couldn't understand the relevance of the observation that some people don't like night lights. If they don't like them then they don't have to use them if the lights have switches.

As for the light you are talking about on the Explorer, it is hardly what I would call a night light. It is more like an intense spot light directed downward in the hallway near the the bath. Unfortunately it lights the hallway and light spills into the sleeping area. It is far too bright and indeed might well disturb people's ability to go back to sleep. I certainly couldn't sleep with it on and it was too bright to turn on during the night. I don't know what Regent calls it, but it certainly isn't a night light by my definition.

As to why people are commenting on the Explorer's lack of night lights, it is presumably because Regent widely advertises the Explorer as the most luxurious ship in the world and goes on with all the hype about how every detail was planned out (except for night lights). They don't refer to their other ships this way. All the ships should have night lights for safety reasons.

And presumably for those who haven't sailed on the Explorer, the reason they post is that would like a night light when they do sail (and I am sure they would like one on the other ships too).

If they pay any attention to CC comments, maybe the new ship will be:

"The most luxurious ship with night lights ever built."

The Explorer can become the most luxurious ship without night lights.

:)

Eh, I always toss a small LED nightlight in my suitcase anyhow. I wouldn't mind if the cabin had one, but to me that's a non-issue.

I'm hearing I should bring my x-ray glasses if I plan on sitting in the upper deck of the theater, though, so I can have a way of looking through the pillars...

I don't like night lights at all, being in the sleep in total darkness camp. Fortunately my husband is the same.

We have some tiny flashlights that Silversea gave us on a couple of cruises on Silversea explorer, which doesn't have night lights either. At any rate, they come in handy. On a recent cruise on Oceania Regatta, I almost impalled myself on the television going back to bed from the bathroom. going to the bathroom, you can see the led light on the tv, which is mounted on the wall near the foot of the bed and sticks out a bit. Going back to bed, you don't see it.

Eh, I always toss a small LED nightlight in my suitcase anyhow. I wouldn't mind if the cabin had one, but to me that's a non-issue.

I'm hearing I should bring my x-ray glasses if I plan on sitting in the upper deck of the theater, though, so I can have a way of looking through the pillars...

I view night lights as a safety issue in a setting where you have lots of older passengers, some of whom clearly have mobility issues all in a setting of a ship that may be rocking and rolling in stormy seas. Anyone trying to get up in the dark in these circumstances is at risk of falling or otherwise being injured. Night lights are a cheap no-brainer safety aid.

I agree with you that passengers can bring a nightlight along, but there is a certain incongruity in the most luxurious ship in the world not having night lights for passengers' convenience and safety.

As for X-ray glasses, if you can see through the pillars, you can see through all the doors. Be careful, someone might find out! :)

I don't like night lights at all, being in the sleep in total darkness camp. Fortunately my husband is the same.

We have some tiny flashlights that Silversea gave us on a couple of cruises on Silversea explorer, which doesn't have night lights either. At any rate, they come in handy. On a recent cruise on Oceania Regatta, I almost impalled myself on the television going back to bed from the bathroom. going to the bathroom, you can see the led light on the tv, which is mounted on the wall near the foot of the bed and sticks out a bit. Going back to bed, you don't see it.

That is so funny because I have a Silversea tiny flashlight that I keep under my pillow:D

Still, complaining that the Explorer doesn't have a night light astounds me since none of the other Regent ships (or Silversea's ships) have a nightlight and it has never been an issue. Fortunately, people can stop complaining because Explorer does have a light intended to be used as a nightlight!

Also, as a doctor, you confirm what I've read...... sleeping in total darkness is the way to go. However, having a tiny light show you the way to the bathroom is a good thing.

I seem to recall there was some light switch by the bed which turned on some low level light near the bathroom. But I could be wrong...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is but some people think they are too bright. Again, when something is subjective, you simply can't please everyone. Personally, I would not use up a much needed plug for a night light when there are so many rechargeable options (that passengers could lose if they were supplied in every suite). Again, while some people equate night lights with luxury, I do not. Service, food, comfortability, suite size, public areas, an over the top spa, etc. is why I feel that the Explorer is so luxurious. If it were simply the marble, granite and chandeliers and the rest did not meet up to expectations, the "luxuriousness" of the ship would be meaningless.

My issue is not with nightlights in the suite itself, but the facility to have a low level "glow" in the bathroom for night time visits. The small plug in nightlight that Regent supplied did the job perfectly.

As for hairdryers, in our suite were two electric outlets labelled "hairdryer" and I was advised to ensure I only plugged my hairdryer into one of those specific sockets. One was by the sofa in the lounge area of our suite, the other by the "dressing table" and small magnifying mirror. Actually, drying my hair proved to be pretty tricky as a result and I missed the large, wall mirror and vanity unit from other ships which fitted my needs perfectly.

DSC00238.jpg.191b1e9dbdf4579000dc48afec0524b8.jpg

My issue is not with nightlights in the suite itself, but the facility to have a low level "glow" in the bathroom for night time visits. The small plug in nightlight that Regent supplied did the job perfectly.

As for hairdryers, in our suite were two electric outlets labelled "hairdryer" and I was advised to ensure I only plugged my hairdryer into one of those specific sockets. One was by the sofa in the lounge area of our suite, the other by the "dressing table" and small magnifying mirror. Actually, drying my hair proved to be pretty tricky as a result and I missed the large, wall mirror and vanity unit from other ships which fitted my needs perfectly.

Yes, most hotels now have the optional facility to have a low level glow in the bathroom at night; surprised that Explorer's designers missed that facility

Interesting about the hairdryer sockets; I am somewhat worried that other guests believe that it is perfectly safe to plug hairdryers and other high power appliances into power strips designed for low power computer use

Again, while some people equate night lights with luxury, I do not.

Odd comment. A very easy fix for this would be to simply have a night light request check off on the pre-cruise request form. I do not equate night lights with luxury. People are finding it puzzling that the subject needs discussion. Regent could use this as a learning tool to see what the customers want.

I agree with the comments made that it is disappointing, but not unusual, that the facility doesn't exist to have some low level 'glow' in the cabin at night.

Having said this I will use what I always have done in hotels/ships around the world - my iPhone. I have an 'free' alarm clock app on it that has the clock/alarm digits permanently on the screen, as bright, and in what colour one wants. Gives a nice orange/green/blue background glow !

The only problem is that my wife and I have different 'glow requirements' :)

I do not equate night lights with luxury, either. For me, luxury means that someone, somewhere thought of countless small things which might enhance my experience. They saved me the bother of having to think about the details, finding small (but significant) ways to make me smile, to think "now why didn't I think of that?" and to create a memorable experience which doesn't include my making a list of things I need to bring with me next time.

I do not equate night lights with luxury, either. For me, luxury means that someone, somewhere thought of countless small things which might enhance my experience. They saved me the bother of having to think about the details, finding small (but significant) ways to make me smile, to think "now why didn't I think of that?" and to create a memorable experience which doesn't include my making a list of things I need to bring with me next time.

+1

Now we really do need that "LIKE" button, when we have such excellent posts as yours, Gilly :)

The only problem is that my wife and I have different 'glow requirements' :)

You make an excellent point! No matter what Regent did/does, some people will like it, some won't care and others will hate it. As mentioned, there is a light in the hallway on the Explorer that is meant to be a nightlight. It is accessible from a switch next to your bed. Already one poster said that it is too bright. I didn't find it too bright (this is starting to remind me of the threads about CC's new format -- someone people think it's fine - others think it is too bright - and it goes on and on).

So, from my perspective, Regent did think of a nightlight with their new ship but either some people don't know it exists or don't like it. If it is too bright, perhaps a lower wattage bulb could be put in. Also, perhaps you should wait until you sail on the Explorer before passing judgement. Just a suggestion!

So I wonder what the Regent marketing dept will come up with to describe the next ship?

"another of the most luxurious cruise ships ever built"

or if they cut down slightly on the cost of the finishes

"nearly the most luxurious cruise ship ever built"

Good to hear that Regent are gathering feedback to improve the next ship

How about..."Sorry, the last one was a mistake. THIS is the most luxurious ship ever built. Any one who says different is spreading fake news."

Good to hear that Regent are gathering feedback to improve the next ship

Also, perhaps you should wait until you sail on the Explorer before passing judgement. Just a suggestion!

No judgement passed at all. Just passing on a method I have used in some hotels & cruise ships previously :)

Only 3 weeks to go to our first trip on Regent/Explorer. Our eyes are wide open, our minds are emptied of the hype/rhetoric and even though Cruise Critic is immensely useful to us we firmly believe that there is only one opinion (well two actually) that matters in the end - our own :D

It is how we ourselves feel that will determine if we will return for a 2nd Regent cruise.

No judgement passed at all. Just passing on a method I have used in some hotels & cruise ships previously :)

Only 3 weeks to go to our first trip on Regent/Explorer. Our eyes are wide open, our minds are emptied of the hype/rhetoric and even though Cruise Critic is immensely useful to us we firmly believe that there is only one opinion (well two actually) that matters in the end - our own :D

It is how we ourselves feel that will determine if we will return for a 2nd Regent cruise.

So sorry - my judgement comment was not aimed towards you - it just happened to be in the same post when I was responding to you. It seems that, in general, some Regent past customers have been especially hard on the Explorer - even before it debuted people were complaining. IMO, nothing deserves that much negativity unless/until you have experienced it for yourself.

In terms of the silly night light - I should have remembered that there was one but since I didn't use it, it slipped my mind. As we know, nothing is perfect and not everyone's desires can always be met. Regent does a great job of keeping it nice and dark inside of the suite which many of us like. I suppose that leaving the light blocking drapes partially open would keep it lighter in the room if that is what someone likes.

Anyway, I hope that you don't feel singled out by my post:o

...It is how we ourselves feel that will determine if we will return for a 2nd Regent cruise.

For what it's worth, my wife and I took our "trip of a lifetime" on Regent back in 2009, a 7-day Mediterranean cruise, and I think it was on our third day on board that we were in the cruise consultant's office booking our next one. :D

And so it starts...six Regent cruises since then, with three more booked. Yeah, it's easy to get hooked.

Getting back to the original idea of this thread.

See my earlier posting the night the show aired. Sent Jason Montague an email on the matter.

Received his response today. It reads, in part, that Regent is working with PBS to gain rights to show that program onboard Explorer. And hopefully, at special events at Miami in March the day before Explorer sails to Barcelona as part of Regent promotions celebrating its 25th Year.

GoARMY!

• 2 weeks later...