Baby in diapers in the pool - Would you say something?

HawksFan74

Don't I recall a splash pool for the kiddies on one of the upper decks?

Maybe it was the old Crown or Star?

This way the parents could sit with the kids in those "leak-proof" diapers and at the end of the day they could just flush it out & refill each morning.

Diapers and kiddies who are not toilet trained are also not allowed in the splash pools.

Certainly most parents would not want their child in a splash pool contaminated with fecal matter from another child in that pool.

Diapers and kiddies who are not toilet trained are also not allowed in the splash pools.

Certainly most parents would not want their child in a splash pool contaminated with fecal matter from another child in that pool.

Oh I agree that it wouldn't solve the problem but it would at least keep it segregated to one small area and not infect the main pool. If the parents wanted to take the chance of putting their kid in that water, let them. Why risk the vacation of everyone else? Obviously the signs by the poolside don't deter them.

On our second cruise there was a lady that kept putting her baby in the pool. We reported it to someone and they took care of it. A few days later, she was back in with the baby. We reported it again and once again they took care of it.

They should give the parents one warning about the babies. Second offence - $250 pool cleaning fine.

I would make the pool cleaning fine way higher than that with signs posted on what it is. 1st offense is to remove the dhild and have the parents/ gaurdian nice a notice of the fine so that they can not say hey were not aware of the fine. Third offense would be removal from the ship.

I would make the pool cleaning fine way higher than that with signs posted on what it is. 1st offense is to remove the dhild and have the parents/ gaurdian nice a notice of the fine so that they can not say hey were not aware of the fine. Third offense would be removal from the ship.

Considering Post #75, I agree with your proposal.

There was a baby in the hot tub last week on the Caribbean Princess. I did report it to a young man wearing a shirt with deck attendant written on the back. I reminded him it was against health regulations He immediately approached the mother and the baby was removed.

As cruising has become the most popular family vacation I expect the number of babies will increase and other cruisers need to both say something while on board and follow up with comments on the survey stressing concern that this health regulation is being ignored.

There was a baby in the hot tub last week on the Caribbean Princess. I did report it to a young man wearing a shirt with deck attendant written on the back. I reminded him it was against health regulations He immediately approached the mother and the baby was removed.

As cruising has become the most popular family vacation I expect the number of babies will increase and other cruisers need to both say something while on board and follow up with comments on the survey stressing concern that this health regulation is being ignored.

Baby in a hot tub?!?! That's dangerous! Crazy!

Glad you reported it and the baby was removed.

Just off the Ruby Princess a couple weeks ago. One day, while in the pool with my 5 year old, I noticed a couple allowing their approx. 9 month old infant (wearing a swim diaper) to swim in the pool. Now, I know this is strictly prohibited for health reasons, but I never saw anyone from Princess do or say anything about it. Didn't see any fellow passengers say anything either. Admittedly, I could have said something but didn't because I tend to be a non-confrontational person.

So, my question here is, would you have said or done anything in this situation? Or better yet, has anyone actually been in the situation, and what did you do about it? Did you say something to the couple directly, or maybe find a Princess employee to report it to? Just curious.

I saw a dad with toddler in diapers go into the adult pool a couple years ago and I went and got a supervisor that happened to be outside helping to clear tables near the back bar aft pool area, and he actually was very proactive and approached the man. Next thing I know, man and toddler got out of the pool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anybody remember the little boy in Atlanta who died and the cause was traced back to a popular pool that was contaminated with fecal matter?

It's not just Noro to worry about, it's C Diff and plain old dysentery.

Peeing in a pool is gross, but I don't know of any life threatening diseases caused by it. I hope I never have to find out.[/quote

FYI normal urine is sterile, no bacteria.

We have a town open air pool complex (5 pools and a big spa) that is free and thermally heated so you can imagine the use it gets.

The staff sell the "pool safe" diapers and woe betide any parent if their child (Under 3) is not wearing the approved one.

The real positive is that they test every pool every hour and chlorinate them very regularly. If there is any sign of a problem the pool is immediately closed down till it "passes". That is only for a couple of hours as the testing is so good and treatment excellent.

In the 8 years I have been using the pool, twice a day when I am not away on holiday, I have only seen one major closure and that was for a death in the pool not for a bacterial problem.

Just off the Ruby Princess a couple weeks ago. One day, while in the pool with my 5 year old, I noticed a couple allowing their approx. 9 month old infant (wearing a swim diaper) to swim in the pool. Now, I know this is strictly prohibited for health reasons, but I never saw anyone from Princess do or say anything about it. Didn't see any fellow passengers say anything either. Admittedly, I could have said something but didn't because I tend to be a non-confrontational person.

So, my question here is, would you have said or done anything in this situation? Or better yet, has anyone actually been in the situation, and what did you do about it? Did you say something to the couple directly, or maybe find a Princess employee to report it to? Just curious.

I am more concerned about senior citizens who normally wear diapers using the pool!

I am more concerned about senior citizens who normally wear diapers using the pool!

I'm not. For one thing, anyone who is bowel incontinent would MOST LIKELY not take a chance in a public pool, unless they suffer from dementia. If the latter, I doubt they would be on a cruise by themselves anyway, and their caregiver would hopefully restrict that activity.

Perhaps I have too much faith in human nature but I choose to believe a healthy minded incontinent adult would not risk endangering others.

Urinating in a pool, while disgusting, is not dangerous. Urine is basically sterile.

My main concern with onboard pools is whether chlorine or other disinfection levels are actively monitored and maintained on a consistent basis. That is where the real concern lies in my opinion.

WHY. Can you show anywhere that it has actually been a problem? How do you know which senior citizen is wearing a diaper let alone being in a pool? Do you think the ship shpuld keep a list of all senior citizens who are inconyinent so you can check to see if they are in the pool? Or do you want a sticker on their cruise cards to designate them as unable to use the pool? Some people just do not like to be around senior citizens.

Now let's look at the "suggestion" that people shower before entering the pool. This suggestion is a very healthy one. Anyone who has recently emptied his/her bowels will have some fecal matter in that area of their body. Without a good shower, some of that fecal matter will end up in the pool - a potentially dangerous situation. Next time you take a cruise, try to spend a bit of time near the outside shower near a swimming pool, and count the number of people who use the shower BEFORE swimming.

This will be a very easy exercise, as the total number you witness is nearly guaranteed to be zero.

As if hopping under the outdoor shower in your bathers is going to remove any remnant fecal matter. All it will do it make your skin wet and maybe move a little perspiration.

As if hopping under the outdoor shower in your bathers is going to remove any remnant fecal matter. All it will do it make your skin wet and maybe move a little perspiration.

Couldn't agree more. Plus most showers are cold so those few who jump in are only there for a second or two. For a true cleansing, one needs to remove all clothing, meaning swim trunks and other bathing attire and real wash down. That never happens.