What is the best way to safely remove laundry tags from clothing?

JimAOk1945

Hi everyone,

I checked before posting this question but didn't see an answer. We went on a cruise last year and since we were in a Neptune Suite, we had the free laundry perk. We loved the quick and efficient service. But trying to remove the yellow laundry tags that were stuck onto each article without damaging our clothes proved to be a real problem. Some fell off after repeated laundering after we got home, but some stayed on for a few months.

Did any of you have this problem? If you did, I would appreciate knowing how you did it since we are planning another HAL cruise and will be using the laundry perk frequently. Thanks!

I've never had a problem with just peeling the laundry marks off my clothes. Unless they are in a position where it is bothersome, I just leave them on until they fall off. I still have laundry marks on some clothes from cruises a couple of years ago, particularly clothes I do not wear terribly often.

I always found that you could just peal them off with no damage to the clothing. Once in a while I will pull out something that I haven't worn for months and find one still attached. I view this as a happy reminder.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always found that you could just peal them off with no damage to the clothing. Once in a while I will pull out something that I haven't worn for months and find one still attached. I view this as a happy reminder.
Exactly! I'm going back in a couple of months to get some more happy reminders. :D

I agree.. I usually just gently pull the tag off but often enjoy finding those little surprises on our clothes.. It's a happy reminder for me too!:):):D

We have had issues when pulling off the tags that it would pull out the stitching on the seams. On our last cruise we put a note on the laundry sheet and asked that the laundry takes not be put on the seams and that helped. We would still have trouble getting some of them off but at least we did not damage our clothes. Also, in some cases the clothes came back with the tags already removed.

I've had problems removing them from athletic wear, pants mostly as they are ironed on with enough heat to make them difficult to remove without losing substance from the garment. I may caution my cabin attendant to ask the laundry to be careful on my next HAL cruise.

A laundry tag on the center seam of pants can not only be uncomfortable, but may damage any delicate garment underneath or tucked into the waistband. When removing the tag, carefully work the end farthest from the seam loose, then slowly and gently pull in the direction of the seam, while lightly stabilizing the seam stitching with fingers of opposite hand. Pulling from the seam instead of towards the seam increases the likelihood of damaged stitching.

Run the hair dryer back and forth over the sticker - the heat softens the glue and you can easily peel them off without ruining a seam.

It is fun to find them on clothes a couple of months later. :)

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Run the hair dryer back and forth over the sticker - the heat softens the glue and you can easily peel them off without ruining a seam.

It is fun to find them on clothes a couple of months later. :)

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

This is the BEST suggestions yet. I can't begin to tell you all how many seams were pulled out because of the laundry department decided to put the tags OVER stitching. This is not rocket science, people! I agree that the tags can be extremely irritating, depending upon placement. I will try the hair dryer next cruise. Thanks again.

Hi Everyone,

A big Thank You to everyone for responding to my question with such helpful advice. The problems we had was with the tags attached directly to seams. Thanks for the tips about removing them with a hair blower or iron.

We agree that they serve as a happy reminder. I came across one just yesterday and it took me back to our wonderful cruise last August when we spent 14 days on an Alaskan cruise the Maasdam for our 50th wedding anniversary! We were very impressed with everything about the whole experience. We absolutely loved the ship, the crew, and the itinerary!

We are planning on a cruise in 2018. I will book it as soon as the itinerary that we want becomes available.

Thanks again HAL cruisers! You're the best! Happy sailing to all wherever you go next!

We have literally pulled off hundreds of those tags without damaging our clothes. However, if the laundry tag is right on a seam....we often leave it alone (it does no harm). A few years ago it seemed like many of those tags were stuck on seams. But recently this seems to be less of an issue (we do not know if the staff has been told to avoid seems...or we have just been lucky).

Hank.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also just peeled them off, either on the ship or as we found them the next time we wore the item.