News Flash on Sun Princess Noro

Just saw a news flash that the virus still continues on the Sun and that today's sailing will be delayed a few hours.They would be better off cancelling and getting rid once and for all

Cheers

It was already reported in another thread for tomorrow's sailing, a few days ago.

Unfortunately this is a common occurrence and is hardly a news flash but a news regular. Shame that it seems to be every cruise.

It was already reported in another thread for tomorrow's sailing, a few days ago.

Unfortunately this is a common occurrence and is hardly a news flash but a news regular. Shame that it seems to be every cruise.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@It was a news flash on TV,didn't get notification email of post your referring to,I am not a regular cruiser and didn't realise they had all this sickness all the time,It's taken me a long time to talk my man in to doing a cruise, can see us cancelling,but months to go yet so we will see

Cheers

Hi Elorac, I think this is the thread that Mic was referring to:http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2456900

If you are not going for a while, it should be fine and anyway, most people on board do not come down with the virus. It is a matter of thorough hand washing, not touching handrails etc, using paper to hold the toilet door when leaving, and being vigilant about any time you put your hand anywhere near your mouth - so easy to forget that one. Also I am not a fan of the buffet generally.

Hi Elorac, I think this is the thread that Mic was referring to:http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2456900

If you are not going for a while, it should be fine and anyway, most people on board do not come down with the virus. It is a matter of thorough hand washing, not touching handrails etc, using paper to hold the toilet door when leaving, and being vigilant about any time you put your hand anywhere near your mouth - so easy to forget that one. Also I am not a fan of the buffet generally.

Agree with the precautions mentioned. Wash your hands well and often and do not put your hands near your mouth (eat with hands or bite your nails and such) and you should be fine.:D

If there is a significant outbreak of noro on board, they will declare a "red alert". You will see that the salt and pepper shakers will disappear from the tables in the buffet and staff will be cleaning ... cleaning... Not everyone gets sick. It might be 2% or 5%. You obviously want to be in the 'other' group. :)

Hand washing is important, but the best way to keep well is to keep your hands away from your mouth. Unfortunately that means not picking up food with your hands and eating it (when there is a red alert I mean). It makes eating bread rolls a bit of a challenge ..:D We follow this course of action on cruises where there is a noro outbreak, and so far have avoided it on every cruise.

If there is a significant outbreak of noro on board, they will declare a "red alert". You will see that the salt and pepper shakers will disappear from the tables in the buffet and staff will be cleaning ... cleaning... Not everyone gets sick. It might be 2% or 5%. You obviously want to be in the 'other' group. :)

Hand washing is important, but the best way to keep well is to keep your hands away from your mouth. Unfortunately that means not picking up food with your hands and eating it (when there is a red alert I mean). It makes eating bread rolls a bit of a challenge ..:D We follow this course of action on cruises where there is a noro outbreak, and so far have avoided it on every cruise.

@@@@@@

Thanks for the very good advice

Cheers

They would be better off cancelling and getting rid once and for all

Cheers

It can't be gotten rid of once and for all, the virus comes onto the ship with every new batch of passengers.

Noro is nothing fancy, it's just a form of "gastro", that well used sickie disease.

It's all around us right now. Wherever people gather together for long periods, it flourishes.

It's in hospitals, theatres, offices, train stations, buses, and even cruise ships.

To avoid it, maintain basic personal hygiene and make sure you know where your food has been.

We always take little containers of hand sanitizer with us and carry them on us. Better to be paranoid than sick!

NO_NO_NO!!!!! Hand sanitisers ( including the ones that are used on the ships) DO NOT kill viruses and NORO is a VIRUS! I personally would like to see these sanitisers removed from the ships because it is obvious to me that they are helping to cause this problem. Passengers are not washing their hands enougyh - partly because they think that using the sanitisers is protecting them!!!!!

My reading indicates it is useful as an adjunct to soap and water washing-

The C.D.C. says that as a means of preventing norovirus infection, alcohol-based sanitizers can be used “in addition” to hand washing, never as a substitute.

Surely every little bit helps? It is also useful for avoiding the flu and for general cleanliness when soap and water not available, as they may not readily be on some excursions.

Have a look at this http://www.emetophobiahelp.org/norovirus.html - and do some online research on

"BENZALKONIUM CHLORIDE" as an ingredient in sanitisers. We have done 22 cruises and over 300 nights at sea - neither of us have ever had norovirus . We wash our hands with soap and water regularly and often during the day - and immediately before eating (as we are sitting at the table) use PINE-O-CLEAN wipes on our hands ( found in the Woolworths kitchen cleaning area) - with 0.47% Benzalkonium Chloride

It can't be gotten rid of once and for all, the virus comes onto the ship with every new batch of passengers.

Noro is nothing fancy, it's just a form of "gastro", that well used sickie disease.

It's all around us right now. Wherever people gather together for long periods, it flourishes.

It's in hospitals, theatres, offices, train stations, buses, and even cruise ships.

To avoid it, maintain basic personal hygiene and make sure you know where your food has been.

And possibly brought on board by crew who access public areas.

Personally I have a low tolerance to noro viruses, copped it a few times on the ships, resulting in confinement. Gastroenterologists say low tolerance to virus is due to me being a Coeliac. I did not know there was gluten in a noro virus lol. To be serious, it is my system not coping.

Have a look at this http://www.emetophobiahelp.org/norovirus.html - and do some online research on

"BENZALKONIUM CHLORIDE" as an ingredient in sanitisers. We have done 22 cruises and over 300 nights at sea - neither of us have ever had norovirus . We wash our hands with soap and water regularly and often during the day - and immediately before eating (as we are sitting at the table) use PINE-O-CLEAN wipes on our hands ( found in the Woolworths kitchen cleaning area) - with 0.47% Benzalkonium Chloride

@@@@@@

Yes I use these at home and also to wipe down tray table,remote on a plane,also everything in hotel rooms.

Thanks for your advise.

Cheers

I work at a preschool and our infant center is closed for the next two days due to a norovirus outbreak and the need for a professional team to come in and do a deep clean. It's definitely not just a cruise ship thing!

I work at a preschool and our infant center is closed for the next two days due to a norovirus outbreak and the need for a professional team to come in and do a deep clean. It's definitely not just a cruise ship thing!

Shopping centre food courts are the absolute worst for the spread of disease, most people take the illness home with them before the symptoms show.

Just off the Ovation.

I was impressed at the entry to the Windjammer they have on each entrance a room to pass through with a bank of around a dozen basins, soap dispensers and paper towels. As well as the usual gel dispensers outside.

No washy washy, no entry to Windjammer.

Great innovation and the way to go - everyone had to use the facility.

I also take along wetones.

Cruise ships can provide all the sanitation devices they like BUT until passengers use them they will not be effective. I once saw a man have a stand up argument with a crew member in the buffet when she asked him to use sanitiser. He refused and said he was just walking through, she told him it was just procedure, he continued to argue his point and then pushed past her, as he was "just walking through" he took a biscuit from the tray, no tongs.

While we have these types of bogans we will have noro.

NO_NO_NO!!!!! Hand sanitisers ( including the ones that are used on the ships) DO NOT kill viruses and NORO is a VIRUS! I personally would like to see these sanitisers removed from the ships because it is obvious to me that they are helping to cause this problem. Passengers are not washing their hands enougyh - partly because they think that using the sanitisers is protecting them!!!!!

I tend to agree, people get a false sense of secrtsing he sanitiser, when they'd be much better served by frequent use of soap and water. And as Mic said keeping their hands out of their mouths. Niro is spread by vomit and faeces being ingested.

Just off the Ovation.

I was impressed at the entry to the Windjammer they have on each entrance a room to pass through with a bank of around a dozen basins, soap dispensers and paper towels. As well as the usual gel dispensers outside.

No washy washy, no entry to Windjammer.

Great innovation and the way to go - everyone had to use the facility.

I also take along wetones.

I was on Ovation a few weeks ago and unfortunately, I still saw people REFUSING to use the basins and wash their hands and just push past staff :mad:

Cruise ships can provide all the sanitation devices they like BUT until passengers use them they will not be effective. I once saw a man have a stand up argument with a crew member in the buffet when she asked him to use sanitiser. He refused and said he was just walking through, she told him it was just procedure, he continued to argue his point and then pushed past her, as he was "just walking through" he took a biscuit from the tray, no tongs.

While we have these types of bogans we will have noro.

This is where security can then be used to reprimand the offender (they would have it on camera) and possibly take action if there is a repeat offence.

I was on Ovation a few weeks ago and unfortunately, I still saw people REFUSING to use the basins and wash their hands and just push past staff :mad:

That is just disgusting, fortunately we didn't see any refusals. They also had the normal entrance roped off.

The ship is trying to eliminate the chances of any spread of illness but there is no excusing the refusals by filthy grubs.

Maybe security could be there instead of the washy washies and refuse entry and have it on the terms and conditions - but that would be taking things to a police state for the sake of a few dirty types and impossible to police every venue 24/7. The ship can only do so much and the spread of these illnesses a lot of the time comes down to individuals.

No excusing uncleanliness.