Voyager - Singapore-Hong Kong, 2/20-3/7/17 - Wes, Rachel & Rumor, LIVE!

Mr Rumor

Rich, so wonderful to enjoy your Hong Kong post cruise visit now comfortably at home with a steaming cup of Joe. Thanks for bringing us along with Ginny and you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr Rumour so enjoyed the commentary from your trip today, but have to say just adored the good skills part of the hubby points with your lovely wife's jewel gift. Definitely good skills. :D . Enjoy a restful evening and last day tomorrow. Jean.

Rachel, Wes, and Rich:

We really loved your posts and thank you so much for sharing with all of us. You guys brought back lots of memories and have us thinking about booking a similar cruise during our next Regent cruise. Thanks!

Z and TB

P.S. Rich: Thanks for the beer pics!

I'd like to leave you for now with a laugh.

At the Tin Hau temple I observed sections of newspapers arranged on the ground in front of the entrance to the temple. Several were weighted down with pieces of a wooden branch.

Curious, I asked the temple's greeter if there was a spiritual significance to this arrangement of papers and sticks.

No, she laughed, "It's where dog poo poo!

That's hilarious. And you thought it was some sort of deep religious significance makes it even funnier.

Rachel, Wes, and Rich:

We really loved your posts and thank you so much for sharing with all of us. You guys brought back lots of memories and have us thinking about booking a similar cruise during our next Regent cruise. Thanks!

Z and TB

P.S. Rich: Thanks for the beer pics!

There is a "similar cruise" next March (and we will be on it). Hint.....Hint...... :beer-mug:

And I thought I had made my last Hong Kong post. . . .

From Big Buddha to Big Boy: I learned today at the Hong Kong Museum of History (a gem) that Hong Kong overtook Japan in 1972 to become the world's then-largest producer/exporter of toys.

615fa70dfd996f5eb91b239ad6efb03d.jpg

A lovely finishing note to our Singapore-Hong Kong and Jewels of Hong Kong cruise/tour experience: Afternoon Tea at the Peninsula! (Thanks, Ms. Understood, for posting this recommendation.)

45989992ee4b3a12a93ee995a6a9ad70.jpg

7d59b00a998a6f0f00ec30bfa9de13c6.jpg

a59dac13813db818a93e20ebe2598a57.jpg

Anna B., BarbarianPaul, Brian14, Destin Lover, flossie009, forgap, Gilly, HongKongAlan, island cruiser, liptastic, lprp, newlondon, Pamela1, petlover, RJ2002, Silver Spectre, Travelcat2, xrvlcruiser, and Zqueeze1, thanks one more time for your thank-yous and safe-return wishes. Knowing that you were out there digging our joint blog inspired us to go the extra nautical mile in bringing you the news--even if it occasionally meant posting from a rest stop, restaurants, a cruise terminal, and a tour bus in Taipei (all of which I managed to do).

But my biggest thanks has to go to fellow Blogateers Wes and one-finger-typing-whiz Rachel, who did an awesome job when carrying the blogging baton. We were already friends when this cruise started, but the companionship we and our spouses enjoyed on tours, over lunch and dinner, at trivia (Rachel), and at games (Ida) took this cruise over the top for me. At the moment I'm very grateful for Cruise Critic. If I had not joined CC and started blogging on this message board I might not have ever met these terrific couples, as well as the other CC friends Ginny and I have made over the last five years and remain in touch with.

Before Tapatalk, I would wait to share my photos in a final post titled "A Photo Finish." More photos would be overkill at this point, so I'll just end with several Random Notes.

VIP visit: Wes shared a couple of CEO Jason Montague Facebook photos on March 4 (post #282). The lady featured in those shots is Philippines Vice President Leni Gerona Robredo. The Vice President was the onboard guest of GM Franck, a family friend, the day the Voyager docked in Manila. After her mid-afternoon arrival, Filipino crew who happened to be on board were invited to come up to the Observation Lounge to meet her and have their photos taken with her. What a thrill that must have been for them.

Hong Kong air: HongKongAlan, regarding your reference to the "ghastly pollution" that greeted us in HK, I chuckle thinking of guide Judy's references to "fog" and "haze" the day of our "Lantau Island Monastery" excursion. She just couldn't bring herself to use the "p" or "s" words. In fact my throat hasn't been quite right since we arrived. Studies have shown the Land of Enchantment to have just about the cleanest air in the States, and I can't wait to imbibe it once again (we fly out at 1 p.m. Friday, local time).

Shauna: Many of you know Shauna, who has special needs (Down Syndrome), as you've either cruised with her or read about her in a previous blog. We were touched that a handful of crew/staff asked about her, and I want to assure everyone who might be concerned that she didn't join us on this cruise that she's doing great. We've just decided that cruises like this one, involving long flights, are probably too much for her. But we're already looking forward to taking her on our 14 day Alaska cruise in May. Among the Regent friends she has made over the last few years are Captain Serena, CD Lorraine and Chief Security Officer Shiju, each of whom will be onboard the Mariner to welcome her. So, many special memories are soon to be made, and I look forward to sharing them with you. But for now. . . Ciao!

Rich

Thanks for posting the tea pics, Rich. You are making me hungry!

As far as the horrible smog and pollution in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and China in general, it really is ghastly. And the population seems to be in total denial. The pollution is probably the main reason I would not be in any hurry to return to this part of the world. They really do need to take drastic measures to fix this. I can't imagine all the pulmonary problems doctors there must be seeing.

Mr Rumor, I have to ask you about eating at a German Buffet in Hong Kong. That seems like a interesting choice to me. Was that the only choice on the tour? I don't go to Paris to eat a burger and fries! I also enjoyed your posts as well as all the other posts. Thank you!

Glad you enjoyed our blog, iriswitchy. After a steady diet of Asian-themed buffet meals on our longer cruise excursions, as well as a dim sum lunch the day before in Hong Kong, I was happy for the culinary change of pace. Didn't hear complaints from anyone in our group either. The German restaurant is located in a historic British military building (that had been "resurrected" in its new location on the Stanley waterfront, brick by brick), which was also of interest, and is a short walk from the Stanley Market, one of our stops that day.

Roberto, I'm going "Christmas," as we Santa Feans like to to put it: Red AND green!

Glad you enjoyed our blog, iriswitchy. After a steady diet of Asian-themed buffet meals on our longer cruise excursions, as well as a dim sum lunch the day before in Hong Kong, I was happy for the culinary change of pace. Didn't hear complaints from anyone in our group either. The German restaurant is located in a historic British military building (that had been "resurrected" in its new location on the Stanley waterfront, brick by brick), which was also of interest, and is a short walk from the Stanley Market, one of our stops that day.

Roberto, I'm going "Christmas," as we Santa Feans like to to put it: Red AND green!

The German restaurant sounds yummy. Food in Hong Kong is great. We tend to eat in pubs wherever we are in the world (Bangkok has one of the best:-)

I bet that you are looking forward to your Alaska cruise!

Thanks for posting the tea pics, Rich. You are making me hungry!

As far as the horrible smog and pollution in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and China in general, it really is ghastly. And the population seems to be in total denial. The pollution is probably the main reason I would not be in any hurry to return to this part of the world. They really do need to take drastic measures to fix this. I can't imagine all the pulmonary problems doctors there must be seeing.

Can only speak for my adopted home town but sadly the population here is all too aware of the damage and consequence of pollution. Many of us have pollution monitoring apps on our phones and adjust behaviour when it's particularly bad. We have homes full of air purifiers that would do a hospital proud. Most pollution for us rolls in from the mainland no matter what we do. I think it's a key reason for people wanting to leave this region as the health consequences can be, as you point out, pretty ghastly.

I am so thankful to our blogging team (and other bloggers who take up the torch on their cruises) for letting me virtually travel with you! That part of the world was never on Mark's and my bucket list, but I so enjoyed all the pictures and descriptions you gave us. I'll look forward to the next trip!

So glad you enjoyed the Peninsula tea, Rich.

Interestingly we did a Regent cruise in China and Japan 6 (?) years ago and in Nagasaki our excursion stopped for lunch also at a German restaurant. It was quite disorienting to have Japanese servers in Leiderhosen! Hmmm?

--------------------

Helen

So glad you enjoyed the Peninsula tea, Rich.

Interestingly we did a Regent cruise in China and Japan 6 (?) years ago and in Nagasaki our excursion stopped for lunch also at a German restaurant. It was quite disorienting to have Japanese servers in Leiderhosen! Hmmm?

--------------------

Helen

Probably better than a 300 lb Bavarian in a kimono... :o

Rachel, George, Wes, Ida, Rich, Ginny: we have been "wall to wall" busy since our return from Hong Kong, so I'm sorry it has taken me so long to post. Just wanted to say that Kathy and I really enjoyed meeting you on this cruise and we hope to see you again, somewhere in the world! Thanks for including us in George's birthday dinner as well! Warmest Regards, Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Rachel, George, Wes, Ida, Rich, Ginny: we have been "wall to wall" busy since our return from Hong Kong, so I'm sorry it has taken me so long to post. Just wanted to say that Kathy and I really enjoyed meeting you on this cruise and we hope to see you again, somewhere in the world! Thanks for including us in George's birthday dinner as well! Warmest Regards, Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We truly enjoying making new friends with you. Can't wait to sail again with you both sometime soon.