Voyager - Singapore-Hong Kong, 2/20-3/7/17 - Wes, Rachel & Rumor, LIVE!

Mr Rumor

Rich, "Almost" great news about the luggage (would have rated "great" if it arrived 9:00 a.m. instead of p.m.) Good to hear that you found a drug store to buy essentials. Glad to hear that they carry Stugeron (my favorite as well). Thanks for the food photos - I love the food in Singapore (although it has become quite pricey since we were first there in 1987).

I'll be particularly interested in your comments on Vietnam. Every time we book a cruise with stops in Vietnam, something happens - usually the ship is full and we're given an offer that we can't refuse to change cruises.

Rachel, as part of our "club", you may find it concerning if you are able to pass through security without being wanded or x-rayed. While Tulsa may not be an issue, my knee did not beep last year when we were in the airport in Rio. To me this meant very lax security (or poor equipment).

RustyRollock - I'm a bit disappointed about the refurbishment of the Raffles' Bar. I thought that it was unique to be in an upscale hotel, drinking a expensive Singapore Sling and throwing peanut shells on the floor. I'm guessing that this will be changed in the future.

Looking forward to more reports.

Agree about the security, Jackie. The machine did beep in Tulsa, but the security guys there know me and the reason was obvious, so no worries. I would have been concerned if I had not been thoroughly investigated anywhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, Karen and John---glad to know you'l be following along!

Z, the Caravaggio reference made my little iPhone5 blush. My first, and only, smartzone has been such a trusty performer, photo-wise, these last four years. This could be his last tour, as I've decided to move on to an iPhone7. Since he's only worth a grand total of $36 as a trade-in I might just keep the little feller around.

Speaking of photos, loved your botanicals garden set, Rachel.

Glad we're scheduled to get another crack at Singapore next year (we've booked Singapore-Sydney), as I feel we could have managed the jet-lag sleep-off a little better. I've been awake for a couple of hours (it is approaching 5 a.m. here) and Ginny has been origami-possessed in the lobby for who knows how long after her long "nap" yesterday afternoon/evening. All I know is she woke me up with a start a little after 2 by crashing into something in the bathroom, and she told me then she was going BACK to the lobby to craft.

Jean, thanks for your kind post and the Voyager bon voyage. Our attitude is we've looked forward to this cruise for a year and a half, paid mucho dinero for it, and we're going to enjoy the heck out of it, bags or no bags! (Still we're really hoping to see those bags in Saigon. . . .)

Rich

Wonderful positive attitudes by Rachel/George and Rich/Ginny.

Ida and I look very forward to welcoming Rachel/George, Rich/Ginny and about 596 fellow Empires of Asia guests today.

Ida and I are doing the Panoramic Singapore Excursion and will be back on board for lunch. We hope to see y'all in La Veranda to toast a "Welcome Onboard." FYI, we have our lifeboat drill at 5:15pm, sail away from Singapore is set for 6 pm to 6:45 pm,

Finally, at our last dinner for Auckland to Singapore last nite, Ida and I reflected how well Regent does 360 service from dining, excursions, fitness, activities to late nite entertainment. We both conclude we now enjoy cruising on Regent more than on Silversea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rich, your attitude is same as mine! No letting lost luggage or fractured limbs bring us down.

George has been up for 4 hours, posting on FB from the bathroom. He just woke me up.

Have to laugh that George is posting from the bathroom and Ginny is doing crafts in the lobby of the hotel. Soon (very soon) all of you will be on the Voyager!

Rachel, really liked your photos of the gardens (and your poor arm and wrist look painful).

Enjoying all of the posts and photos! Your attitudes are amazing. Have an amazing trip!

Happy cruising to all of you. I love the positive attitudes!

It is a very interesting part of the world. Vietnam Nam is a special favorite of ours. The people are friendly, the sights are interesting and just being there shed additional light for me on that period in our country's history.

Enjoy all of you!

Ann

Just curious if Rich and Ginny have cruised with Rachel and George previously? We have had the pleasure of cruising with all of you (including Wes and Ida). If I remember correctly, we have sailed with Rich and Ginny twice. :D

Jackie, we all cruised together on Hot Spots and Headlines (Istanbul-Istanbul, 2015, Mariner), and we have the joint blog to prove it!

Rich

P.S. Thanks, Ann--best to you and Shel!

Mr Rumor, we are considering a similar trip in 2018. I am interested in your flight arrangements. Did you use an air deviation to get to Singapore and Cathay Pacific flights...or just a good TA? Thanks.

Enjoying your posts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Mr Rumor, we are considering a similar trip in 2018. I am interested in your flight arrangements. Did you use an air deviation to get to Singapore and Cathay Pacific flights...or just a good TA? Thanks.

Enjoying your posts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No, golfgirls, we didn't need a deviation to snag SQ going and CX coming, but we did need to stand our ground when Regent Air tried to substitute American for CX on our return after CX made some changes to its schedule.

Rich

The Fairmont breakfast buffet in Prego must have gone on for 30 yards or more. We had a choice of Asian and English/American. Having subsisted on string cheese and an energy bar since yesterday evening, I went for both (and I have a little tummy ache to prove it).

We've enjoyed our brief stay at the Fairmont and won't throw a fit if Regent puts us up here again next year. Front desk staff was unfailingly polite, helpful and cheerful, but our favorite staffer was this adorable older gentleman. Here he's doing the Wes and Ida thumb's up!

70f2be258e661b0ae3b07df21084f1e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

February 20, 2017--embarkation in Singapore

A warm muggy day in Singapore. If the wind blows here, it is fine, but if not, it is stifling. We had another delicious Asian breakfast, then set out to find a haircut for George. And boy did we find it--local and authentic, but the girl did a great job for a good price.

A quick cab ride to the port right before noon. It only cost S$9, which is like $ 7 US. Our driver was a fount of information and had opinions on everything from the youth of today ( too lazy) to US politics ( he likes Trump and hated Obama).

The port building is quite large, as it is where the ferries leave as well. We only had to wait a minute to embark. We went straight up to La veranda for lunch. Soon, some familiar faces appeared. Wes and Ida, Ginny and Rich. We had fun catching up, and I was able to appreciate some of the renovations onboard. The decor is really beautiful, modern but sophisticated, very classy.

Our rooms were ready at 2:30. The renovations in the cabins are lovely as well, though They should not have removed so much storage space IMO. The colors are muted blues and greys, very pleasant.

Our luggage was quickly delivered. After unpacking and a quick nap, muster drill commenced. I was relegated to the disabled category, which is a laugh because even with only one arm, I can move faster than 95% of those onboard.

Sail away with the Singapore skyline in view was scenic, though clouds made it look like it would pour Any second.

Dinner was in chartreuse. I had the beet and goat cheese salad, artichoke soup, and my favorite Dover sole with asparagus , all perfectly prepared. Too much though to allow room for dessert.

February 20, 2017--embarkation in Singapore

Our rooms were ready at 2:30. The renovations in the cabins are lovely as well, though They should not have removed so much storage space IMO. The colors are muted blues and greys, very pleasant.

Rachel, does the Voyager have less storage space than an equivalent suite on the Explorer? Just curious.

Glad that you are finally onboard and will have a relaxing sea day tomorrow.