Voyager - Singapore-Hong Kong, 2/20-3/7/17 - Wes, Rachel & Rumor, LIVE!

Mr Rumor

Can a person get drunk from looking at too many wine bottle pictures:D? I know that there were duplicate posts yesterday (I did one too) but it was too funny to see it done with wine bottles (that did look very nice).

So glad that Rachel is getting some good massages to help her poor muscles. Your seafood lunch as sea sounds yummy. How did trivia work out in the theater? In my mind, getting the teams together where the teams next to you can't hear could be a challenge.

Rich, speaking of the ship and trivia (IMO, the changes made to the Horizon Lounge 2 or so years ago made having trivia there much more difficult), I know that I would be doing comparisons as well.

Hope that that the weather improves in Vietnam.

We also enjoyed the production show "lights, camera, music," one of the top three shows we have seen on any ship. Prior to that we first went to our usual watering hole--the Horizon Lounge and had our usual (Champagne w/strawberries (Ida) and Aperol spritz (me).

Generally the Horizon's main bartender, Niven has our drinks made/ready before we sit down--outstanding intuitive service. Then, We had a nice chat with Franck and did mention that the new refurb having only one shower in men's woman's spa shower is a fail--Franck agrees. We then headed to dinner in Compass Rose--delish lobster fra diavola for Ida and Tournedos Rossini for Wes. After the show we headed first to listen to Margaret sing in the Horizon lounge and enjoyed dancing. Then strolled to the Voyager lounge to listen to Latin tunes by Tritons.

Today we have the Panoramic Saigon tour while Rich and Ginny, Rachel and George are doing the Mekong River in Depth--we did this during our last visit to Saigon.

A few photos (sorry for dancing pix quality, IPad does not allow for very good pix at nite)

d6c2c333a6406e387d4935da16f9d710.jpg57a42a325ceb1f63180e099e798de58f.jpg4f370fec87a03ca6655ece78d6c8a735.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great to be back, and to have you back! Hopefully the tech issues have been worked out.

Alas, I am having connection issues now with my iPad, which is four years old. Luckily my four year old iPhone is connecting OK, although it is not my favorite device to compose on. I'll make do!

Don't know what I'm looking more forward to today, taking a boat ride on the Mekong River with Rachel and George or being reunited with our two pieces of luggage, which are patiently waiting for us at the Saigon airport. Thankfully we packed our carry-ons wisely so we haven't gone wanting for clothes. We were happy to take advantage of the ship's offer of a 25% discount on boutique purchases.

Better not prattle on any longer lest I lose this post!

Rich

Well, I see that the Three Blogateers are unanimous on "Lights, Camera, Music," the first of four Regent Productions (there will also be a fifth all-singing show). Billed as an "elegant tribute to the greatest moments of the Hollywood Movie Musical"--think the likes of "Over the Rainbow," and "Singin' in the Rain"--this was a powerhouse production 11 singers and dancers strong. I wasn't so sure about the move from Jean Ann Ryan to NCL shows last July on the Explorer MV, but this performance was in a different class, so I'm changing my tune!

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich - please let us know when your luggage arrives on the ship. When our luggage was lost for 10 days, we learned how to pack our carry-on luggage better. I suspect that when you actually see your luggage in your suite, you and Ginny will be extremely happy:D

February 22, 2017--Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

After another smooth night's sailing, we arrived in the container port at Ho Chi Minh City. Ours was the only cruise ship among all kinds of fishing boats, container ships, and big machines dredging the channel.

Our excursion for the day was Mekong River in depth. We were divided into groups of 6 into vans with a driver and guide. Ginny and Rich, Cindy (lone star lady) and David, and George and I were in van 1. Our guide, Lan, was nice Vietnamese lady, but not a real guide. She did know a lot of facts though.

As in many cases, getting there was half the fun. We drove only probably the bumpiest highway ever, among thousands of motor bikes, big trucks, the occasional Mercedes. Very entertaining. We saw entire families on a tiny motor bike, a dog riding on his owners back on a motorbike, a huge teddy bear on a motor bike. No real idea of staying in individual lanes, it was a sort of organized chaos.

After two hours, we arrived at Cai Be on the Mekong River. We had lunch at a very nice resort. We started with pork spring rolls, then moved to a huge elephant ear fish, giant prawns, a sticky rice puff ball, papaya salad, steamed veggies, and a huge dessert buffet. It was very different but good.

After lunch, we boarded our private boat for a ride down the Mekong river. We saw floating markets, houseboats, fishermen, cute kids. We stopped at a place where they sold all sorts of local crafts and at an old historic house that is now a sort of national park. Stunning vibrantly colored flowers everywhere. We ate tiny fresh off the tree bananas the size of your thumb and drank jasmine tea.

After a few hours, we had another bumpy ride home. A long sweaty day, but well worth it. I hit the shower asap.

A lot of people were off the ship tonight for "a night out in Saigon". I had enough sense to realize that was just too much tour for one day, so we were able to snag a reservation inPrime 7. My steak was excellent as was George's pork chop.

First, so happy that Stowie's have arrived for Rich and Ginny!:D :D :D

Rachel, I think that I would have melted on that excursion but do wonder how your arm does on those bumpy roads. It may not like being jostled quite so much.

The food and excursion does sound nice. Looking forward to your adventures tomorrow.

So happy to see some of our friends from the Explorer on this board.

We wish we were with you but we are saving our pennies for the 2019 World Cruise which we just booked!

Have a wonderful trip and we will be with you all in spirit!

Rich and Ginny now that your bags are on board we look forward to seeing you in your formal wear tonight in P7--kidding.

Rachel, thanks for that wonderful description of your Mekong River tour and happy you did well--you're one tough lady!

Hope y'all enjoy the Cu Chi tunnels excursion.

Since we have been to Saigon before and Ida needed medical treatment (allergy treatments x2 @ Med car--glad we have travel insurance as her med bills are now over $1K) only went on Panoramic Saigon tour. Today Ida is going on the "Art of Vegetable Garnish" so hope to share some photos later.

Sorry to hear Ida is having medical difficulties. Hope the treatments help. From the photos it looks like they are not slowing her down.

Rachel you also are a real trouper.

Rich and Ginny am glad you are reunited with your bags. I could use your expertise in packing carryon bags.

Thanks to all of you for entertaining read,

Ann

A quick hi from the bus-- we have wi-fi. What a difference a day makes in terms of guide quality. Hua, is a live wire and a fount of good info. I'm learning a lot, which I'll capsule later. We're still en route after about two hours to some fruit gardens followed by the main event, the Cu Chi Tunnels. This is shaping up to be a great day.

Rich

Thanks Ann and Jackie for Ida's well wishes--she is feeling better and now learning the Art of Vegetable Garnish for her morning excursion.

Rich--hope Ginny and you enjoy Cu Chi Tunnels as much as we did seven years ago.

At breakfast at the coffee corner this late a.m., gave Franck a suggestion that on transition day the room steward or stewardess (like the Butlers do) ask guests (Gold and above) ask guests what newspapers they would like vs having them now trudge down to reception the next day their choice of newspapers. Or for those guests that remember (we did not as did alanciao) to hand their newspaper choice form to the steward on transition day. Franck liked this suggestion.

Ida just returned and showed me the lobster the chef made out of carrots--have her picture hope to post soon.,

Edited by WesW

Thanks so much for Beth and your Ida well wishes Franz.

A few photos of the Art of Garnish--vegetable decoration that Ida took today--only 14 Regent guests enjoyed this interesting excursion in the Majestic Hotel in Ho Chi Minn City

d41538dc05738ecdfb7cd34b35eb1bbe.jpgd59a7765917c896b9fb57c18996a2da1.jpg95e1422b35d75687b82a5651469b7559.jpg1e7e4361cb70160f4748b680366468d3.jpg

Edited by WesW

A quick hi from the bus-- we have wi-fi. What a difference a day makes in terms of guide quality. Hua, is a live wire and a fount of good info. I'm learning a lot, which I'll capsule later. We're still en route after about two hours to some fruit gardens followed by the main event, the Cu Chi Tunnels. This is shaping up to be a great day.Rich

Mr Rumour - you've awoken my memory !Cu Chi tunnels are amazing - not sure if you will be walking in the tunnels but mind your head - they were constructed for the less tall Viet Cong .:)

Something else I remember from that area - cashew nuts growing wild on the trees in the grounds. Having never seen a cashew growing anywhere before that was cool.