Voyager - Singapore-Hong Kong, 2/20-3/7/17 - Wes, Rachel & Rumor, LIVE!

Mr Rumor

RIch and Ginny - you have had an "interesting" time getting to Singapore. Thankfully you both arrived safely. Going through LAX on a normal day is a nightmare - the rains have made it even more challenging.

Having lost our luggage on the way to Scandinavia for 10 days and one piece of luggage being lost on our way to India, we learned that living with less clothing is doable (albeit inconvenient). Be sure to keep receipts for necessities that you will likely need while waiting for your luggage to be delivered. Did the airlines give you an idea of when the luggage should arrive?

What hotel are you staying at?

Thanks, Wes.

Jackie, our TA informed us that the next the next Singapore Air L.A.-Singapore flight is in the morning, so, fingers crossed, we'll have our two bags before we set sail. Regent is putting us up at the Fairmont Singapore.

To correct an earlier statement/grouse: I looked at my American baggage receipt a while ago and saw we were charged $50, not $100, for our two bags. I could have sworn our agent (who was in a hurry to do gate duty) told me $50 apiece.

We're dinner (Smoked Salmon with Crabmeat Salad, Beef Daube with Baked Ricotta and Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream) and a movie ("The Girl on the Train") into our flight. Loving Singapore Air Business Class, but now going to try to wind down. . .

Rich

Good Morning! Boy, you stay away from this board for a couple of days and you sure miss a lot! I was in El Salvador all week for work, which kept me from keeping up.

Rachel: So sorry to hear about your accident and we sincerely hope you will recover quickly.

Rich: Wow! You've had more curve balls thrown at you this week than you deserve and yet you still remain so positive.

This thread is definitely starting off with a bang and will be the highlight of my morning. Have a wonderful time and post lots of pics.

Z and TB

Since SQ is part of Star Alliance, it is quite possible that LAX baggage service will reroute via an alliance partner, rather than wait for another SQ flight. Perhaps Thai or Asiana or ANA or United. Also, the alliance difference (SQ in Star, AA in oneWorld) is part of the reason for the baggage charges you experienced.

Good idea on the titanium, Freddie. And yes, I do now set off metal detectors. My surgeon gave me an X-ray to show just in case.

Glad you and Ginny made your flight, Rich. I had heard about the heavy rains on SoCal.

Now sitting in the lounge in Hong Kong awaiting our onward flight to Singapore. Our flight from Chicago to here was nice and smooth. Really good food and service in Cathay pacific business class, but as is normal for any trans oceanic flight I am on, there was a medical emergency. I have now drawn up and given a zofran injection with one hand. I told the flight attendants I had some ODT zofran tablets, but they wanted me to use the official supply and only had injectable. Poor guy, very nauseated, they had an ambulance waiting for him when we landed. And I got a box of really nice chocolates as a thank you.

A quick hi from Singapore Air's lounge at Gate 115 in Seoul. We reboard (with a new flight crew) at 113 shortly for the final leg of our journey (2877 miles; 6 hours, 32 minutes). We had a nice, smooth flight here, and slept well. I'm very pleased to see how well Ginny is doing so far. As I mentioned, long flights are not her thing, but she was well prepared.

FlyerTalker, I'm encouraged by your last post. Would be sweet indeed to be reunited with our two bags at the Fairmont Singapore. (Regarding "CP," I just meant to abbreviate Cathay Pacific, but appreciate your looking out for me with the CX clarification.)

Jean, Peggy, Roberto, thanks for checking in. Yep, Z, I had no idea this blog would be this eventful before we even boarded the Voyager! And now I just read of the medical emergency on Rachel's flight. Rachel, you can type with one finger and draw up and give a zofran injection with one hand--I'm impressed!

Rich

Rich, so sorry about the missed luggage connection. Suggest you take a look on the conveyor in Singapore as sometimes amazingly the luggage will actually make the connection even if you don't.

Rachel, my wife is a Midwife and was wondering if you had to prove you were a medical professional before allowing you to treat the patient. The opportunity hasn't presented itself to her but, she was wondering what she should do if medical help were called for on a future flight.

Hope everyone sailing gets some rest and has a wonderful cruise.

Rich, the food you described was enough to make me drool! They have such amazing food in Singapore!

Rachel, it was nice of the surgeon to give you an x-ray but you will find that it isn't needed. Even though we get priority x-ray inspection at airports, once I tell them about my knee (also titanium), I have to be wanded or go into the x-ray spaceship looking thing. Kudo's for being so helpful onboard your flight - you are amazing!

As I was writing this I checked the time in Singapore and realized that you will all be sleeping as it is around 12:30 a.m. Enjoy Sunday in Singapore!

Good idea on the titanium, Freddie. And yes, I do now set off metal detectors. My surgeon gave me an X-ray to show just in case.

Glad you and Ginny made your flight, Rich. I had heard about the heavy rains on SoCal.

Now sitting in the lounge in Hong Kong awaiting our onward flight to Singapore. Our flight from Chicago to here was nice and smooth. Really good food and service in Cathay pacific business class, but as is normal for any trans oceanic flight I am on, there was a medical emergency. I have now drawn up and given a zofran injection with one hand. I told the flight attendants I had some ODT zofran tablets, but they wanted me to use the official supply and only had injectable. Poor guy, very nauseated, they had an ambulance waiting for him when we landed. And I got a box of really nice chocolates as a thank you.

Rachel well done for the one handed administration. That's all you needed on a flight am sure. It's reassuring to know they have good anti emetics on board if needed. Hope your connecting flight is more relaxing for you. Jean.

Dave, I have had to deal with so many emergencies onboard planes and trains that it is almost a joke in our family. Only on Qatar air did they want to see my license before having me help out. The others just took my info after the fact and did not ask to see the actual license.

Though not gourmet dining, highly recommend lunch at the Maxwell Food Centre in SIN. Amazing variety of real Singapore cuisine - Bourdain said one of the stalls served a top 5 worldwide Chinese chicken & rice. Plus a chance to interact with locals and visitors alike.

Rachel, As I'm sure Jacquie knows and you will too; if there is no body scanner and only metal detector you will be a member of the club that gets the enhanced pat down. With two titanium knees I always look for the lane with the scanners.
Don't head to the Pre-Check lanes. They are almost all set up with WTMD, not millimeter scanners.

Ginny got such a good sleep on the Los Angeles-Seoul leg that she was wide awake during the flight to Singapore. Here she is at 3:15 local time (!) working on an origami piece. If DW is going to be cruising she is going to be crafting!

0a43f9ae390772e2b47286934dbdabcd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich, so sorry about the missed luggage connection. Suggest you take a look on the conveyor in Singapore as sometimes amazingly the luggage will actually make the connection even if you don't.

Thanks, Dave. We had the same thought so Ginny kept watch at the carousel while I did the necessary paperwork at Sats Gateway Lost and Found. But no sightings of two bags adorned with Kokopelli and Zia symbol decals. We've done what we can on our end--including pocketing an "interim" payment of 300 SGD for the "property irregularity"--so now we're going to put it out of our minds. We're relaxing in the Hospitality Suite of the Fairmont until our room is ready at about 11 a.m. Then after we "unpack" (won't take long) we're going to do a little exploring on foot.

The Singapore Air flights were smooth and uneventful, the service and food great. My only little niggle is that the seats don't go fully flat, and I didn't have the support I wanted for my tricky lower back. But a pillow helped.

The phone just rang. It was the Reception Desk--our room is already ready at 8:50 a.m. I think we were bumped to the top of the list (the Hospitality Room is now crowded with other early arrivers) as several staff members were concerned to see us strolling in without our bags. Later!

Rich

Ginny looks well rested and very happy (she is so talented - wish I could make 1/10 of the wonderful things that she comes up with.) Please tell her that I am sending her hugs!

Let us know what you did in Singapore (besides waiting for your luggage).:D

Fingers crossed that your luggage will arrive before you board. If for some reason, it doesn't, suggest that purchase a few items in Singapore - at least enough to last until you arrive in Vietnam!'' At the risk of sounding like a nag....... keep your receipts!

Jackie: A hug back from Ginny, who just went down for a nap (I figured not sleeping on the last leg of the flight would catch up with her by the afternoon).

This is my view when I turn around from the desk in our room. As you see, the Raffles Hotel is a stone's throw away.

50250ec88b0bcdf197f04c03b55f8451.jpg

Today, by the way, a Singapore Sling in Raffles' Bar and Billiard room (the Long Bar, where the drink is said to have been created, is closed for renovation, as are other sections of the hotel) will set you back 33SGD, or about $22. The 33SGB is just a little less than our entire lunch downstairs in the Raffles City Marketplace, but I'm still thinking about it.

Flyer/Talker, thanks for the suggestion of the nearby Maxwell Food Centre for authentic Singaporean fare. But we opted instead for Grandma's in Raffles City on the recommendation of one of the Fairmont's concierges. As we approached the restaurant I was happy to see the words "Proudly Singaporean" attached to "Grandma's." The restaurant offers various "signature" dishes, and I relied on our pleasant young server to recommend one. Without hesitation he chose Nasi Lemak, coconut rice with chicken curry, sambal ikan bilis, omelette and achar. The food was yummy and on the hot side even without the "chili padi" I kept adding a drop or two at a time.

Jackie, while we were in Raffles City we decided to check out the Watson drug store, in case we don't have our bags by mid-morning and need to shop for some essentials. While we were there, Ginny picked up enough Stugeron, her very favorite motion sickness medication, to last her for another couple years of cruising (you still can't purchase Stugeron at a U.S. drug store, but it is available nearly everywhere else).

Hoping to do a little more exploring, and definitely more eating, when Ginny wakes up!

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I am now officially a member of the enhanced security club. In Tulsa, I walked right through with no problem, but got the special attention in Chicago and Hong Kong.

Too bad about the luggage, Rich. Hope it turns up soon.

We arrived in Singapore at 6 am. A quick taxi ride (S$ 19) to the Hilton. Our room was not ready until 8 am, but they treated us to a delicious breakfast. My favorite Asian breakfast item-- noodles.

Then we crashed. After a good nap and shower, we spent the afternoon exploring the botanical gardens which are huge and really well done. Lots of orchids, huge tropical rainforest trees, and big ole monitor lizards.

We went to paragon, a large shopping center, for dinner as one of the Chinese restaurants is listed in the top ten in the world by The NY Times. It did not disappoint. We feasted on dumplings, noodles, wonton soup, fried rice, and veggies.

Now sitting in the rooftop bar at the hotel enjoying the breeze and the view. Very humid during the day but much better now.

Rachel, it sounds like you and George made the most of your day in Singapore. Dinner for me was not top-rated Chinese fare but rather a string cheese and a high-protein bar, as Ginny continues to soundly sleep off her jet lag. The bed looked so attractive to me in mid-afternoon that I decided to take a short nap. Turned out to be three hours.

Our bags have been located! They are on a Singapore Air flight to Singapore now. ETA is 9 p.m. tomorrow, three hours after we sail. So I'm hoping for delivery Wednesday in Saigon. As we carefully packed our carry-ons, and as we helped ourselves to multiple mini toothbrushes/toothpastes and shaving kits on our flight, we're definitely OK for a few days.

Rich

Ginny got such a good sleep on the Los Angeles-Seoul leg that she was wide awake during the flight to Singapore. Here she is at 3:15 local time (!) working on an origami piece. If DW is going to be cruising she is going to be crafting!

0a43f9ae390772e2b47286934dbdabcd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the shadows and light reminds me of a Caravaggio painting. Hope your luggage catches up with you in Saigon. Good luck.

Z and TB

Mr Rumour all credit to you and Gilly for remaining so upbeat and positive re the lack of luggage for another day or so. This is a voyage of very positive people with Rachel and her injury. Bon voyage for you all when you join Voyager. Wes and Ida have been providing us all with super photographs and posts, look,forward to yours too. Jean.