Voyager - Singapore-Hong Kong, 2/20-3/7/17 - Wes, Rachel & Rumor, LIVE!

Mr Rumor

Rachel, does the Voyager have less storage space than an equivalent suite on the Explorer? Just curious.

Glad that you are finally onboard and will have a relaxing sea day tomorrow.

I would say there is less on voyager. Definitely a lot less than there used to be. They have taken out all the cupboards above the desk to allow for a larger tv. So they turned what used to be the large drawers in the desk into a glass front sort of bar cabinet with glassware in it. I will try to post a picture tomorrow to illustrate. That was where all George 'S foldable clothes went. So now we are all crammed together in the closet.

I would say there is less on voyager. Definitely a lot less than there used to be. They have taken out all the cupboards above the desk to allow for a larger tv. So they turned what used to be the large drawers in the desk into a glass front sort of bar cabinet with glassware in it. I will try to post a picture tomorrow to illustrate. That was where all George 'S foldable clothes went. So now we are all crammed together in the closet.

Thanks Rachel. We'll be doing two sailings on the Voyager next year and will keep that in mind. After 3 cruises on the Explorer, we have been accustomed to how much room there is. It also seems (from the pictures posted in La Veranda yesterday) that the same chairs are being used there rather than the new ones on the Explorer. Guess I need to stop comparing everything to the Explorer:).

A question for Rich when you have some down time. When did you learn of the substitution of your Cathay Pacific flight with AA? We are scheduled with Cathay Pacific for our upcoming trip and won't like it if that happens to us. Our motto is "be prepared"😃

Hope the good times are rolling for one and all.

Ann

I feel like a prospector this morning walking around the ship, holding my iPad in front of me, looking for a sweet (read hot) spot where I can get a connection and paste my post from last night. Finally found it on the Pool Deck. Here goes:

Following up on Rachel's comment about the muggy day today, my camera fogged up as soon as I took it out at sailaway to take a couple of snaps. Like its owner, it prefers New Mexico dry heat.

We've never not taken advantage of the included transfer to the ship on the pre-night, but after reading how Rachel and George breezed through embarkation before the buses arrived I think I'm finally ready for us to go the cab route ourselves in the future. We arrived at the port in Bus Two at peak passenger traffic time (1ish) and waited roughly half an hour to reach the front of the line.

My first order of business when we finally stepped foot on the Voyager was to fill out a Lost Luggage Report at the Reception Desk. Then it was up to Deck 11 for lunch in La Veranda, where we saw the first of a handful of familiar faces, that of server Xavier, who we met on the Navigator several years ago. We were chatting with Xavier outside the entrance when I felt a tap on my shoulder. Rachel!

Rachel led us to the back of La Veranda, where we she and George and Wes and Ida were finishing lunch. We had a brief Meet and Greet on our own. We're looking forward to seeing them and other Roll Callers again tomorrow at 11 a.m. for the official Regent-facilitated Cruise Critic Meet and Greet in the Observation Lounge (an invitation from Regent was waiting for us when we claimed our room at 2:30).

I haven't had a chance to take a really close look at the newly renovated Voyager yet, but my overall first impression, based on a quick walk-through after dinner, is very positive. The lady definitely carries herself more elegantly ad I'm liking the tasteful color scheme in the public spaces.

We passed on the evening's featured artist, multi-instrumentalist and vocalist George Kamikawa, so for me tonight's star was my entree in Compass Rose: a terrific fresh Pan-Seared Local White Snapper Filet, with chorizo tomato chutney and mashed potatoes. Our waiter was Hendro, one of our favorites.

Great to have the cruise underway!

Rich

A question for Rich when you have some down time. When did you learn of the substitution of your Cathay Pacific flight with AA? We are scheduled with Cathay Pacific for our upcoming trip and won't like it if that happens to us. Our motto is "be prepared"😃

Hope the good times are rolling for one and all.

Ann

Hi Ann, it was shortly after we got our flight itinerary from Regent via our TA, six weeks or so before we were set to sail. I was still celebrating having CX on the return when our TA forwarded the revised schedule showing American on the return. I immediately protested, and our TA appealed to Regent Air, which responded with an alternate return on CX. I celebrated again!

Rich

This is our first post-Explorer (two cruises) cruise, and I should have expected I'd be comparing the refurbished Voyager with the Explorer. In fact, as we were hanging with Wes and Ida in La Veranda yesterday, I took in the redesigned serving area--nice--but decided that I prefer the much more spacious Explorer La Veranda serving area. One point for Explorer.

A few minutes later, when making my salad, I looked out on the balcony, and was reminded how much smaller (one row of tables) the space is than on the Explorer (four rows deep). Another point for Explorer.

Then in the gym this morning I was delighted to be serenaded by a '70s rock loop on the PA. Lynyrd Skynyrd, Don McLean, Doobies, Commodores, Rod Stewart--the soundtrack of my music journalist years, and so much better than the awful techno-pop I was subjected to every morning in the Explorer gym! Ten points for Voyager!!!

Rich

Hmmmm, I see that the post below did not show up in the thread, so I'm reposting. Sorry in advance if I wind up with a duplicate post:

This is our first post-Explorer (two cruises) cruise, and I should have expected I'd be comparing the refurbished Voyager with the Explorer. In fact, as we were hanging with Wes and Ida in La Veranda yesterday, I took in the redesigned serving area--nice--but decided that I prefer the much more spacious Explorer La Veranda serving area. One point for Explorer.

Then, when making my salad, I looked out on the balcony, and was reminded how much smaller (one row of tables) the space is than on the Explorer (four rows deep). Another point for Explorer.

Then in the gym this morning I was delighted to be serenaded by a '70s rock loop on the PA. Lynyrd Skynyrd, Don McLean, Doobies, Commodores, Rod Stewart--the soundtrack of my music journalist years! And so much better than the awful techno-pop I was subjected to every morning in the Explorer gym. Ten points for Voyager!!!

Rich

Rich, you should get your luggage tomorrow (tomorrow where you are - not where we are;)). Will you and Ginny be out on an excursion in the morning? I hope so because waiting for luggage isn't fun.

I'll be interested to know your perspective of the "official Regent-facilitated Cruise Critic Meet and Greet" compared to the wonderful M&G Daniela did on the Explorer. Also curious as to how many people will attend (an estimate - not expecting you to count).

Is Franck Galzy still onboard? If so, please tell him that Dennis and I say hi. Who is the C.D.?

Looking forward to more reports and also looking forward to this website to return to its normal functionality:)

Thanks Rich for the info. I shall keep an eye out for the arrival of any changes. I just checked the account on the website and it still shows us on Cathay Pacific but they may not keep that current.

Thank you everyone for the thread. You have barely left and it is already 4 pages.🤗🤗🤗

Then, when making my salad, I looked out on the balcony, and was reminded how much smaller (one row of tables) the space is than on the Explorer (four rows deep). Another point for Explorer.

Then in the gym this morning I was delighted to be serenaded by a '70s rock loop on the PA. Lynyrd Skynyrd, Don McLean, Doobies, Commodores, Rod Stewart--the soundtrack of my music journalist years! And so much better than the awful techno-pop I was subjected to every morning in the Explorer gym. Ten points for Voyager!!!

Rich

Good morning from the South China Sea as we sail to our first port, Saigon (Ho Chi Minn City). This morning we have our cruise critic meet & mingle (am sure we all will post pix later). Enrichment lectures with two new Smithsonian lecturers on board include Vietnam and Shopping/Sights of Saigon (don't tell Ida). We have the Captain's welcome tonight too.

Normal routine is to begin morning workout about 5:30am in the gym and who did I spot already spinning away on the recumbent bike--Rich.

Concur strongly with Rachel--Voyager has less space in the suite, in fact a fellow passenger and I were talking about this this morning in the Sauna and commiserated that our wives have us both putting our clothes in the bar cabinet--the wives get the drawers in the closet. Our room (849 vs 749 last cruise) has gold tones vs the mute blue--still beautiful but less space.

Even with smaller storage in the suites--the Voyager is for now the most beautiful ship we have cruised on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We enjoyed a fun, well attended meet and mingle today in the Observation lounge just before lunch. About twenty cruise critics attended and Ramona (Asst. F&B mgr) did a wonderful job of arranging our area, having mimosa's & bloody Mary's along with snacks. Pls enjoy a few pictures

091845dc89f1278279d56512d1474d13.jpgd0fa3f19f91b3a8095c2df219f3f1d1f.jpg530b2b1b7fa036c5aee5074b673c17cb.jpgd5580bb379cb5c054f520b06bf4ac176.jpg

We enjoyed a fun, well attended meet and mingle today in the Observation lounge just before lunch. About twenty cruise critics attended and Ramona (Asst. F&B mgr) did a wonderful job of arranging our area, having mimosa's & bloody Mary's along with snacks. Pls enjoy a few pictures

091845dc89f1278279d56512d1474d13.jpgd0fa3f19f91b3a8095c2df219f3f1d1f.jpg530b2b1b7fa036c5aee5074b673c17cb.jpgd5580bb379cb5c054f520b06bf4ac176.jpg

Rich, Ginny and I are frustrated with the new Cruise Critic changes as they now affect (Adversely) our

posting with Tapatalk. Rich, Ginny and I have tried multiple times to post today--and the posts vanish. Rachel tried showing a picture of the new desk/bar set up in the suite. I posted pix of the complimentary wines offered during the wine tasting today, and numerous pix of our well attended (20+folks) Regent and CC meet and mingle.

Rich, Rachel and I have lost numerous posts today due to the glitches tapaptalk is having with the new CC format changes. Rachel tried to post pix of new desk/glass bar set up in a veranda suite. I tried posting pictures of all comp. wines served on board as well as pix of our well attended meet & mingle (20+ folks).

February 21, 2017--sea day--cruising the South China Sea enroute to Vietnam

we had smooth sailing all night long and awoke at a semi-reasonable 5 am. Looking out the window, the sea was smooth with a greyish blue hue to water and sky. It seems to me that most of Voyager's vibration problem has bee fixed. It is certainly less than I remember.

The sun was out, and it was soon hot and humid. I thought I would walk out on the top deck, but thought better of it when I saw that the deck was very wet. I remembered there was an outside area on deck 5 that goes most of the way around the ship under the lifeboats, so decided to check that out instead. Not only was it dry, it was partially shaded, so I walked out there for 45 minutes.

There was a lecture about Vietnam history this am, then we had a well attended CC meet and greet. It was fun to put names and faces together. While we were visiting, a sudden monsoon like downpour began. It only lasted about 15 minutes, but boy did it dump the water. It stopped just in time for us to go to lunch, and there was water an inch deep on the pool deck.

Lunch was a fish grill plus sushi offered out on deck. A lot of people filled plates and brought them into La veranda. I had my usual salad.

After lunch, I had scheduled a massage to try and get my muscles feeling better. On this cruise, I saw something on offer I have not noticed in the past. Don't know if it is a new thing or if I just didn't notice it. They are offering a 20% discount if you book 4 or more of the same service. It can't be shared, so would really only apply to massages, but for someone like me, with an injury that needs attention, it is a good deal.

My therapist is Serbian and has a background in physical therapy. He definitely knows what he is doing. He applied alternating heat and cold as well as targeted maggage.

Another lecture about Vietnam shopping this afternoon by the wife of the morning lecturer. They were both journalists during the Vietnam war and after.

Trivia was in the theater as crowds have been too large for the lounge lately. We didn't win but were a respectable 4th out of maybe twenty. Highlight was meeting back up with a couple we went on a China land trip with a couple of years ago.

After a nice nap, it was the captain's welcome dinner. We and another couple were invited to dine with the hotel engineer and the staff engineer. Both very nice guys, one from Italy and the other Bulgarian. The menu in CR is the new format like on explorer where you have lots of always available choices on the left and the special on the right. I tried some new things-squash agnolotti was delicious. George had a perfectly prepared steak.

The show was "lights, camera, music" and it was very well done, much better than on explorer 4 months ago. The performers are quite talented and not anorexic which is a good thing.