Should I get a passport renewal now?

mitsugirly

I have read in the past that you need to renew your passport around 6 months before it expires. I never really thought much of it until I discovered my 8 year olds passport expires in October this year (because children have to renew every 5 years I guess).

While I'm not worried about renewing before October, we do have a cruise in April that is just a little under 7 weeks away. From reports I have read, people are getting them back way before the 6 weeks turnaround time. So, if I sent it off this week, I "should" technically get it back the week (days before) we leave for vacation, if it takes 6 weeks.

However, if she didn't get it back in time, I would just take her birth certificate instead, since it is a closed loop cruise. But, I'm thinking back to when we got her first one...didn't they make you send in the birth certificate with the application and then they sent that back later? If I didn't get the passport OR bc back in time, wouldn't I just be able to go to the department of health and buy another to use? Or do they not collect the birth certificates if you are just renewing a passport and they just use the old passport for verification?

Should I actually chance sending hers in right now? Or should I wait until we return from this upcoming cruise so then I wouldn't be pressed for time? What would you do? :confused: The airports and cruise ports won't turn you away if it hasn't actually expired already even though it's less than 6 months away...right?

I have read in the past that you need to renew your passport around 6 months before it expires. I never really thought much of it until I discovered my 8 year olds passport expires in October this year (because children have to renew every 5 years I guess).

While I'm not worried about renewing before October, we do have a cruise in April that is just a little under 7 weeks away. From reports I have read, people are getting them back way before the 6 weeks turnaround time. So, if I sent it off this week, I "should" technically get it back the week (days before) we leave for vacation, if it takes 6 weeks.

However, if she didn't get it back in time, I would just take her birth certificate instead, since it is a closed loop cruise. But, I'm thinking back to when we got her first one...didn't they make you send in the birth certificate with the application and then they sent that back later? If I didn't get the passport OR bc back in time, wouldn't I just be able to go to the department of health and buy another to use? Or do they not collect the birth certificates if you are just renewing a passport and they just use the old passport for verification?

Should I actually chance sending hers in right now? Or should I wait until we return from this upcoming cruise so then I wouldn't be pressed for time? What would you do? :confused: The airports and cruise ports won't turn you away if it hasn't actually expired already even though it's less than 6 months away...right?

The 6 months is more of a recommendation in the Caribbean so she'll be fine. To renew for a child's passport you have to apply like you are applying for the first time, so I believe the birth cert goes in with the application (although I'm not 100% sure of that, but the State Department website will tell you).

Personally I would wait.

Kim, if you are nervous about getting it back in time, you can use a passport expeditor like this - although it will cost about $150:

https://www.rushmypassport.com/new-passport.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAuc_FBRD7_JCM3NSY92wSJABbVoxBoM0SHUwqjZj2iEyA1mjJwo5lnIqgjbdGjForxYCKEBoCBUHw_wcB

Alternatively, you can do what the passport expeditor services do yourself if there is a passport office near you. As I recall you are in Ohio and here are the passport offices there:

http://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/passport/ohio/passport-offices-in-franklin-county-ohio/

If you click on the one closest to you, you can see the actual turn-around time for regular and expedited passport service. It looks like the passport offices in Columbus average 4 - 8 weeks for regular passport requests and 2-4 for expedited passports.

If you happen to have a trip to Philadelphia or any of the main passport centers, you can usually get a passport renewed the same day. I would be there about 1 hour before the office opens to be first in line.

Kim, if you're doing a closed loop Caribbean cruise with Sakari like you usually do, you don't have to worry about the 6 month time limit. The places that you'll be visiting will not require the passport to have 6 months remaining so you'll be fine.

And yes, when you go to get her a new passport, you'll have to apply as if it's a totally new passport. Submit the picture, hand over the BC, you and DH have to appear together. I just did it for Kyle; I wish I could have waited since he's going to be 15 in July, but didn't like the idea of traveling with just the BC (even though we could on the closed loop cruises).

I don't think you need to worry about it for this cruise. When you can, set up a time for a new appointment. I think you're fine doing it over the summer if you have more time then, unless you see something overseas before expiration.

I wouldn't mess with trying to get it renewed in time. Some countries require the 6 months left on your passport for entry. But since you are on a closed loop Caribbean sailing, a passport isn't even required. At this point the passport is just showing proof of citizenship so the 6 month rule won't apply. If you prefer to be extra cautious you can take the birth certificate as well or in place of the passport. But no need to rush to get the passport renewed before the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all the replies. I just remember there was a lot of talk about how everyone "had" to have their passport renewed 6 months before it expired, but...I never really paid attention to what the circumstances were because it really didn't apply to me...yet. :p

I have no intentions on paying for expedited service. That's just a crazy amount to me and not worth it. I kind of had the mentality that if I sent it off now and it didn't come, I'd just go down to the health department, pay a small fee for another bc and use that for this cruise. No biggie.

I have already went online and filled out the application and downloaded and printed it off. I also went and had her updated picture taken for the passport over the weekend. I had all the documents ready (bc for her and us and even ss because I couldn't remember if they were required). I even looked up the number(s) to the 2 post offices in my area that collected them (which I found out you have to have an appointment for it now-didn't back when I had all of ours done in the past). But then I started having second thoughts about whether or not I should actually do it right now. :confused:

So...maybe I should just sit on it until after vacation. I plan on taking another cruise some time in the summer (most likely around August), so that would give me plenty of time to send it in and (hopefully) get it back by the time we picked out a destination. :)

I thank you all tremendously for your thoughts and suggestions. I love you guys! :*

For anyone interested just renewed both daughter's passports with turn around of under 3 weeks. Made cruise reservation with short 6 week window. A bit nervous on timeline but good incentive to get it done. So now both have current adult passports with the next renewal being on their dime!

There is no reason at all to rush the renewal. The six month rule only applies when you are visiting the country. Cruisers are considered in transit and the rule doesn't apply. As many times as you have cruised you know that once you check in your documents are not examined again until you are leaving the ship after the cruise. The islands you visit never even look at your passport.

Another way to look at it is that in the Caribbean on a closed loop cruise you don't even need a passport, so the logical conclusion is that since you don't actually need it, then it doesn't need six months left on it when you cruise.

As long as it is valid on the day she returns to the US it is fine for a closed loop cruise.

Hey Kim, what are you guys doing in April? It sounds like you're sailing the week of April 15/16 for the Easter holiday.

We're on Allure sailing April 16th. I'm not thinking we'll run into you (although you know I'd love to), so what's on your plate?

Hope all are well, and school is going along without killing you.

I had the same question, since our passports expire in September and we are going on a cruise, 3/31 to 4/7. I was a little concerned when I read the six-month recommendation. Have you called your cruise line? I did and they said that is a suggestion and that since we aren't going to Costa Rica we should be just fine. I was worried about sending in our passports and not getting them back in time or having to pay the expedited fees (plus overnight service to and from).

Kim this post totally gave me heart pain! I'm glad it doesn't expire until October. You definitely made the right choice to wait -- but if I were you, I'd send in the app to renew in June/July. They are reporting significant delays.

I had the same question, since our passports expire in September and we are going on a cruise, 3/31 to 4/7. I was a little concerned when I read the six-month recommendation. Have you called your cruise line? I did and they said that is a suggestion and that since we aren't going to Costa Rica we should be just fine. I was worried about sending in our passports and not getting them back in time or having to pay the expedited fees (plus overnight service to and from).

Most countries that require six months remaining on your US passport use the date of EXIT (not entry) as the calendar marker. So, count back from the day you return home to be safe.

Also, another poster said no one looks at passports once you're onboard. Maybe that's true for some Caribbean destinations. But know that, if you're going to someplace like French Polynesia, customs authorities board the ship on prior foreign stops like Easter Island, ride along and examine passports AND passengers while enroute to Bora Bora, Tahiti et al.

Kim this post totally gave me heart pain! I'm glad it doesn't expire until October. You definitely made the right choice to wait -- but if I were you, I'd send in the app to renew in June/July. They are reporting significant delays.

Not sure who "they" are but the posts I've been seeing where people on CC are discussing turn around most report 3 weeks or less to receive their passport.

I overnighted my passport renewal on Feb 1, check was cashed on Feb 10 and I received my new passport in the mail on Feb 14.

That's a 2 week turnaround and I didn't pay for the expedited service. Very impressed!

I have no intentions on paying for expedited service. That's just a crazy amount to me and not worth it. I kind of had the mentality that if I sent it off now and it didn't come, I'd just go down to the health department, pay a small fee for another bc and use that for this cruise. No biggie.

I was just telling you about passport expeditors in case you or someone you know ever needs that service. (I had to arrange for that for someone at work one time.) If you look at the regular timeframes for your area, you would get Sakari's passport back in time but there's no reason not to wait until after your next cruise.

Hey Kim, what are you guys doing in April? It sounds like you're sailing the week of April 15/16 for the Easter holiday.

We're on Allure sailing April 16th. I'm not thinking we'll run into you (although you know I'd love to), so what's on your plate?

Hope all are well, and school is going along without killing you.

Yep, Spring Break time again for us. (This has become the norm for us over the last several years...might as well keep it going :p).

We're leaving out on the 15th for 8 days. Heading to Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk and La Romana. Even though it's Spring Break, according the cruise schedules I've been looking at, we are the only ship in port in all of the ports except Aruba (where Nav of the Seas, I think) there are two ships. :D

I personally know of three different services used by my family in the last month where the passports were back in our hands in two weeks. Name change with divorce decree, new issue and renewal. US Department of State is really on their passport game.