Cabin Recategorization Coming

It looks like the ATS on decks 8 and 9 will be Star class but the 2 BR on deck 10 will convert to Sky Class along with the 1BR ones

It looks like the ATS on decks 8 and 9 will be Star class but the 2 BR on deck 10 will convert to Sky Class along with the 1BR ones

Never mind. I'm wrong. Misread the flyer

I too am surprised that they aren't expanding the suit class to the rest of the fleet.

Never mind. I'm wrong. Misread the flyer

I too am surprised that they aren't expanding the suite class out to the rest of the fleet.

Why would Quantum of the Seas not be affected by this change?

A mystery.

It means they now need to maintain the old structure and pricing just for Quantum, while applying the new structure and pricing to the rest of the fleet. Are the 'capabilities' of RCL online up to the task?

That is great news! Wife will be happy as will I. Thanks for the update!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When I saw it I immediately thought of you and the family and posted the info here. All is good now for you, and hopefully less folks will be after "my" cabin.;)

I am curious why this change in nomenclature has inspired so much discussion. Why does it matter if they call the H room I will be in soon an 87Q?

Often when a company changes nomenclature they are doing so to reprice the product. I'm sure Royal knows which cabins are scooped up first and will adjust categories accordingly.

I am curious why this change in nomenclature has inspired so much discussion. Why does it matter if they call the H room I will be in soon an 87Q?

Previously you had say 20 H cabins. They all were the same price and you could move your booking freely between them regardless of location on the ship.

Now those same 20 H cabins, might be broken down as 10 - 87Q, 5 - 87R, and 5 - 89S - all with different pricing depending on location and deck.

Same would apply to Junior Suites. Currently all junior suites, regardless of location, are one price on most ships. Under the new categorization, there will be two categories of junior suites - which are assumed will also have different pricing based on location (aft/hump) and deck.

Basically, they are restructuring they cabin pricing like most other mass market lines are now. You will pay more for the same cabin in a "better" location or because it has a larger balcony, etc...

Dan.

This sounds like it will be harder in general to book a room and prevent switching cabins to a better location. As a non TA I will have to call and ask how much for this particular cabin, how much for that one....and decide if a few bucks either way is worth that cabin.

I used to just price an E and an D, sometimes a F and then decide. This sounds like a nightmare for the picky consumer and will be more time consuming for the agent making the booking.

I can see the impatience of agents booking on board. They will just want to sell you any cabin to move on to the next person. Sometimes that's how they act now.

And how will they ever show all these catagories on their website? I already feel like I see very little of what's actually available when I look.

I may be concerned about nothing...this just doesn't seem buyer friendly.

Thank you for your responses. Pricing by location makes sense. We pay more for airline seats in the main cabin than in the back, more to live in "better" cities, etc. My husband and I start with price and then take location into consideration. A few dollars extra for a better location may or may not be a deal breaker. We're just glad to be able to afford on a cruise at all.

With these new categories Royal can drop prices in a sub category (that may not be selling well) and not have to give the reduced price to everyone in the whole category.

Saves them many dollars....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

. . .

Same would apply to Junior Suites. Currently all junior suites, regardless of location, are one price on most ships. Under the new categorization, there will be two categories of junior suites - which are assumed will also have different pricing based on location (aft/hump) and deck.

. . .

Dan.

Three on Quantum Class. I'm assuming those w/ large balconies are what used to be in the Family Connected Trio. Also, couldn't find the Spa JS.

The flyer said, "• Stateroom category shifts based on attributes, size, location, and occupancy"

This sounds like it will be harder in general to book a room and prevent switching cabins to a better location. As a non TA I will have to call and ask how much for this particular cabin, how much for that one....and decide if a few bucks either way is worth that cabin.

Not necessarily. They always reprice w/ any change. Sometimes repricing means no increase. But in the case of a JS, now two-three subcategories, it could mean that changing decks or mid-ship to aft brings a price jump.

When I saw it I immediately thought of you and the family and posted the info here. All is good now for you, and hopefully less folks will be after "my" cabin.;)

Haha. Thanks so much for this. We really fell in love with that room and in the future when the kids are older, we may try one of the other Star Class rooms

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It is so overly complex that I get the feeling that they are not happy that we all understand their current system.

They WANT us to be confused and feel like newbies. :(

I attended the webinar on this subject - we are D+ and have cruised other lines. In the field for over 10 years with travel - it confused the heck out of me!

Thank you for your responses. Pricing by location makes sense. We pay more for airline seats in the main cabin than in the back, more to live in "better" cities, etc. My husband and I start with price and then take location into consideration. A few dollars extra for a better location may or may not be a deal breaker. We're just glad to be able to afford on a cruise at all.

Glad it makes "sense" to you and you're ok with it....Many of us aren't. It's always been easy to book our JS (20+) RCI cruises and even to easily change locations when something better became available..I don't think this will be the case any longer.

Glad it makes "sense" to you and you're ok with it....Many of us aren't. It's always been easy to book our JS (20+) RCI cruises and even to easily change locations when something better became available..I don't think this will be the case any longer.

Going to miss those old days of booking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I used to just price an E and an D, sometimes a F and then decide. This sounds like a nightmare for the picky consumer and will be more time consuming for the agent making the booking.

I can see the impatience of agents booking on board. They will just want to sell you any cabin to move on to the next person. Sometimes that's how they act now.

And how will they ever show all these catagories on their website? I already feel like I see very little of what's actually available when I look.

I may be concerned about nothing...this just doesn't seem buyer friendly.

Aren't there already something like 8 levels of OV balconies already?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

That is my fear, as well. It reminds me of AA's recent announcement that they are streamlining their boarding process by now having 9 boarding categories, up from 5. That is 3.33 minutes per category. Should be fun to watch!

It reminds me of AA's recent announcement that they are streamlining their boarding process by now having 9 boarding categories, up from 5. That is 3.33 minutes per category.

It made no diff on my flight yesterday - they just call the categories more often.;)

Three on Quantum Class. I'm assuming those w/ large balconies are what used to be in the Family Connected Trio. Also, couldn't find the Spa JS.

I posted earlier in the thread the new alignment for Quantum. It's a 1 for 1 rename.

My issue is just the inconsistent, and more confusing, naming structure.

Yet their marketing statement of course claims the opposite - ha.