FTTF what is it and is it worth it?

irish2005

It is a carnival plan that allows you to pay extra to be allowed to board early. For details, you should check the carnival website or with your TA.

"worth it" is subjective. Some get it and I presume that means that it is worth the money. Others decline, presumeably because the see it as not worth it.

The biggest advantage I see is on FTTF your rooms are ready as soon as you board, so if you have luggage you don't want to drag around It is very nice to be able to unburden yourself.

And some people with very young children like to be able to let them rest a little while....

FTTF is Faster To The Fun, a "perk" you can purchase through Carnival. A limited number are available for each ship. The price varies on how long your cruise is.

There's a lot more than just "boarding quicker".

You have priority boarding. You will be the first to board your ship after diamond, platinum and weddings.

Your stateroom is ready once you board. You don't have to lug your luggage around with you.

You have your own line at guest services, and a dedicated number to them as well. This comes in handy as the line at GS can get long, especially on embarkation and the day before debarkation.

You have priority dining, meaning if you're waitlisted for a certain dining time, your preference will be chosen first. (Doesn't mean you hop to the front of the line)

If you're visiting a port that requires a tender, then you have priority tendering.

Personally, I think it's worth it since it's pretty cheap and allows those perks. We'll always get it if we can on any cruise up until we become diamond/platinum. Definitely worth it to my family. Others don't like it. Not sure why but they don't.

It could be worth it - still there is something unsavory about the concept. It is not simply a case of paying a bit more for something extra that the cruise line gives you; it is a matter of paying the cruise line to give you something they take away from someone else - getting priority boarding has to mean delaying other people.

Too much of this sort of thing is happening: some public spaces are no longer available to everyone. They are removed from general accessability and made available only to people who pay extra.

It is comparable to the downgrading of main dining room food quality and service and offering for-pay alternatives for people who want to receive what used to be provided for the standard fare.

Or, you could go on HAL, where they start boarding at 11:30, the cabins are ready, and no extra charge.

My thoughts exactly, as I don't get the whole idea of paying extra to board early. RCI and Celebrity also both start boarding between 11:00 - 11:30, but the staterooms aren't available until 1:00. And with the ability to have a drink (if one so chooses) and lunch first, to me there is no value worth paying extra for to get into my stateroom earlier. We typically arrive at the terminal by about 10:30 and are on the ship by 11:30 at no extra cost. To each his own I guess. :)

..... still there is something unsavory about the concept. It is not simply a case of paying a bit more for something extra that the cruise line gives you; it is a matter of paying the cruise line to give you something they take away from someone else - getting priority boarding has to mean delaying other people.

Too much of this sort of thing is happening: some public spaces are no longer available to everyone. They are removed from general accessibility and made available only to people who pay extra

I completely agree. The "pay to the front of the line" trend is troubling. As you said, it means people who don't pay get pushed aside. It's a class system thing. If you have more money, you get to step on those who don't.

Yesterday I heard a news report that Papa John's Pizza is testing a $3 fee to get your pizza made first. That means if the typical order is placed at 7:00 pm and an order is placed at 7:05 pm but with the $3 "first" fee included, that first person will get their pizza after the person who ordered later. Imagine if five or six people decide to pay the fee. Which fee payer goes first? The one who is willing to pay more than that $3? And what about the person who didn't pay the fee? Will they truly have to wait for the five people paying the fee to go first, while they continually get pushed behind?

This is an ugly trend which is perpetuated by greedy companies trying to maximize their revenues by forcing people to pay more to avoid being pushed aside by the people who can pay more to move to the front of the line.

We did FTTF on our last cruise and I think it was worth it. It's a charge per cabin (all guests in the cabin get FTTF perks). We got on the ship early (I think by 12:30?), got to our cabin, met our steward, quickly unpacked and then went to grab lunch before it got crazy busy. After lunch, we toured the ship to get our bearings and then found a good spot for sailaway. I would do FTTF again!

We did FTTF on our last cruise and I think it was worth it. It's a charge per cabin (all guests in the cabin get FTTF perks). We got on the ship early (I think by 12:30?), got to our cabin, met our steward, quickly unpacked and then went to grab lunch before it got crazy busy. After lunch, we toured the ship to get our bearings and then found a good spot for sailaway. I would do FTTF again!

Not trying to argue - genuinely curious. What perks do you get for the fee? You say you were on board by 12:30 and got to your stateroom and met the stateroom attendant then went to lunch and paid extra for this.

As mentioned, we are always on board with RCI between 11:00 - 11:30 (earlier than you), have lunch, and have met our stateroom attended and in our staterooms by 1:00 at no charge. Perhaps you get to your stateroom a few minutes earlier, but other than that, what perks are you paying for that by comparison would be worth it? Just trying to understand. :confused:

Not trying to argue - genuinely curious. What perks do you get for the fee? You say you were on board by 12:30 and got to your stateroom and met the stateroom attendant then went to lunch and paid extra for this.

As mentioned, we are always on board with RCI between 11:00 - 11:30 (earlier than you), have lunch, and have met our stateroom attended and in our staterooms by 1:00 at no charge. Perhaps you get to your stateroom a few minutes earlier, but other than that, what perks are you paying for that by comparison would be worth it? Just trying to understand. :confused:

You get priority boarding (12:30 seems kinda late to me also. The last time we had it we were on board and eating by 11:00) Your room is also ready when you embark. You have a dedicated line at guest services, a dedicated number to guest services, priority dining if you're waitlisted (on your time preference), and you have priority tendering at ports that require a tender.

You get priority boarding (12:30 seems kinda late to me also. The last time we had it we were on board and eating by 11:00) Your room is also ready when you embark. You have a dedicated line at guest services, a dedicated number to guest services, priority dining if you're waitlisted (on your time preference), and you have priority tendering at ports that require a tender.

Thank you for the explanation. What is the fee charged for this? Some of the benefits seem like a bit of "fluff" or conditional to use, but if you see value in it, then I guess it's worth it - depending on the cost. Again, just my opinion and not criticism of your choice. :)

Thank you for the explanation. What is the fee charged for this? Some of the benefits seem like a bit of "fluff" or conditional to use, but if you see value in it, then I guess it's worth it - depending on the cost. Again, just my opinion and not criticism of your choice. :)

No worries

• $49.95 USD - 2 day and 3 day cruises
  • $49.95 USD - 4 day cruises (excluding Carnival Liberty, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Triumph and Carnival Victory)
  • $59.95 USD - 4 day cruises (Carnival Liberty, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Triumph and Carnival Victory)
  • $69.95 USD - 5 day cruises (excluding Carnival Sensation and Carnival Victory)
  • $59.95 USD - 5 day cruises (Carnival Sensation and Carnival Victory)
  • $69.95 USD - 6 day and 7 day cruises
  • $79.95 USD - 8 day cruises and longer

That's per cabin, not per person. Only one person needs to purchase it and it covers everyone in the cabin.

It was $50 when we did FTTF on our 7 day cruise and it looks like rates have gone up a bit since then. For us, the perks were worth it because of the priority tender and the benefit of having our luggage in our room when we got to our cabin. If you don't find value in any of the FTTF perks, then don't get it. It's as simple as that.

Here are the benefits for FTTF. Their value is totally subjective; however, we always get it because of the benefit we perceive.

• Priority Security, Check-in and Express Boarding (dedicated security lines, dedicated check-in, and boarding after Diamond/Platinum and weddings)
  • First Access to Stateroom (without waiting until 1:30)
  • Priority Luggage (luggage is delivered before those without priority, usually)
  • Guest Services (access to the Priority line and dedicated phone number)
  • Dining Reservations (priority after Platinum for waitlisted dining times and priority for specialty restaurant reservations)
  • Tender Priority (self explanatory)
  • Debarkation Choices (priority self-debarkation or early zone for debarkation, your choice)

I completely agree. The "pay to the front of the line" trend is troubling. As you said, it means people who don't pay get pushed aside. It's a class system thing.

This is an ugly trend which is perpetuated by greedy companies trying to maximize their revenues by forcing people to pay more to avoid being pushed aside by the people who can pay more to move to the front of the line.

I disagree. It is neither a class system thing nor a greedy corporation trend. As long as people shop for goods and services by lowest prices, companies will continue to increase the amount of a la carte items. It's basic economics. Corporations are, after all, in business to make money for their shareholders or owners. They're going to find a system which attracts the most customers. The lower the initial price point of a cruise or airline, i.e. Spirit or Carnival, the more likely one is to find this type of pricing.

More cruisers really should look into upgrading to cruise lines with more included features if they are tired of being "nickel and fined" to death.

I disagree. It is neither a class system thing nor a greedy corporation trend. As long as people shop for goods and services by lowest prices, companies will continue to increase the amount of a la carte items. It's basic economics. Corporations are, after all, in business to make money for their shareholders or owners. They're going to find a system which attracts the most customers. The lower the initial price point of a cruise or airline, i.e. Spirit or Carnival, the more likely one is to find this type of pricing.

More cruisers really should look into upgrading to cruise lines with more included features if they are tired of being "nickel and fined" to death.

Extra cost a la carte items are fine if they don't affect people who don't pay it. This is not a simple case of "nickel and dimeing". It is a case paying to move in front of others in line. In the case of FTTF, if someone who paid extra is allowed to board ahead of non-payers, that means the people who did not pay are affected because they now have to wait longer to let the FTTF payer go ahead of them. Someone will always be penalized to let the extra fee payer be served before them. That is NOT alright in my opinion.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Another Privy Passenger Perk gone awry. I wouldn't pay it. I wouldn't eat PJs Pizza either. We get to a ship after the rush and before the final call. Walk right up and no one is in line for lunch. Plenty of food and the dust is settling, get to our cabin, luggage is there, unpack and go to drill then a nap. Didn't cost any extra. don't want upgrades or Perks.

The point is: FTTF is not a matter of the line simply giving more to people willing to pay more; they are not creating any additional value, they are taking away something (their place in line) from some people and giving it to people who are willing/able to pay more.

It is like the airlines' current practice of squeezing more rows of seats onto their planes - but keeping the previous space between rows for passengers willing to buy the "more room" seats --- they have not created anything, they have simply taken something away from the majority of their passengers so they can get some more money from the rest.

I was. And I did.

I agree with those who find the extra charges a bit offputting. For long-time cruisers it's jarring to see these changes taking place -- areas once accessible for everyone now only for those who pay more, food and service reduced in the MDR, only way to get more premium food/service is to go to the specialty options, etc.

I was. And I did.

I agree with those who find the extra charges a bit offputting. For long-time cruisers it's jarring to see these changes taking place -- areas once accessible for everyone now only for those who pay more, food and service reduced in the MDR, only way to get more premium food/service is to go to the specialty options, etc.

The deterioration in NCL's service provided for the basic fare is truly dramatic. Our first NCL experience, on the Norway, in 2003 was comfortable and enjoyable - while our latest, on Gem, in February 2016 was over-crowded, with dismal service and poorly prepared/served food. A more subjective concern was that we were sailing with a couple of thousand people who seemed to neither notice nor care. As long as there is a willing market, it must be accepted that ongoing degradation of the experience is the order of the day.

While fares have not increased, the value received for them is so much less that it cannot be seriously claimed that the cost of "cruising" has not gone up.