Booking With A Travel Agent

John G.

What sailing is this on ? I want to get the big deal too...................

Please do tell......

Steve

It is in my signature. From what I understand they give you almost all of their commission as refundable OBC.

Pam in CA's TA also discounts about the same amount (I called them and there was a $30 difference) but as an approximately 10% discount on the comissionable cruise fare upfront (airfare, pre-cruise packages, transfers, etc. are not included). Since I already moved this booking from Princess to the big box TA, decided to leave it as is, but will probably use Pam's TA in the future.

Edited by cflutist

I use a TA who lives across the country. I call and email.

I did use a local TA in the 90's. She was very nice and pleasant but had never cruised and charged full price. I knew more about cruising than she did.

I contacted Princess to pull back my booking as the big box said they could give me "around" $1,000 in refundable OBC. Princess contacted my TA who then called me. I explained the issue and sent him a transcript of the chat with the other outfit. He said he would check and get back to me. He called a bit later and said he couldn't match what they were offering but... He could knock $900 off of my booking price. I know the cruise with Princess hasn't gone down in price. I like the local TA and told him I'd take his offer in order to be able to keep it with him. All in all not a bad resolution.

Does anyone know why Princess does not discount the cruise fare if you book directly with them?

Meaning, if they don't have to pay the TA a commission, why don't they give it back to those who book directly with them?

Thrak, glad it all worked out for you.

We've used a TA in another state for our last several cruises. She always gets us a better price than booking direct with Princess as well as OBC. Before our last cruise we were offered an upsell to a full suite and our TA was very responsive and we had no issues communicating by phone and email. I've shopped around and this TA hasn't been beat yet, so I'm sticking with her :)

No matter what state you use for a travel agent; even if its a local agent; just make sure they are well versed in booking cruises. You want an agent who has been on several cruises and who's sailed on different size ships and with different cruise lines. That way you get a person who knows the ropes.

Does anyone know why Princess does not discount the cruise fare if you book directly with them?

Meaning, if they don't have to pay the TA a commission, why don't they give it back to those who book directly with them?

Princess has an agreement that they won't offer any price that the agents don't have access to. Since some agents charge full price, Princess won't under cut the full price.

Plus, Princess has employees to pay also which includes training, benefits, etc.... For them, I am sure it is cheaper for them to have individuals book with Travel Agents.

When I started cruising in the 90's, Princess really didn't want direct bookings. They directed everyone to travel agents. They were one of the last lines to implement website bookings, etc..

I know we can't mention names of travel agents on here. I have never booked a cruise with a travel agent and just have a question: do you use a local agent in your area that you can walk in and talk to face to face or one who may be 1000 miles away and the only contact is by phone? Just hope someone can give advice without breaking the rules on this board.

I actually used a local TA. I did not know this company nor any agents.

The agent I have (found out AFTER booking) this agent works 2 days and part time. Ughhh, I hated having to wait until this person was at work for me to make any payment on my trip account.

I would give you a tip or 2: Make sure the agent would be available most of the time for anything you have questions about or taking a payment. 2nd-- Ask for discounts they will give you on the price for your business.

My agent gave us ZERO bc I did not know to ask. I assumed.

Wishing you the best with a Travel Agent. They are out there I just did not look well.

Sandra

Thanks to everybody that replied to my question. I will look around and see what kind of deals I can find. Wish I could talk to some of you and get some names and numbers. Happy sailing!

Thanks to everybody that replied to my question. I will look around and see what kind of deals I can find. Wish I could talk to some of you and get some names and numbers. Happy sailing!

You can.

At the Meet and Greet on your next Princess cruise.

After reading about Princess move over offers I am wondering if people who are open to the move over offers and upgrades are better doing their own booking. Seems like there is a very small window of opportunity to jump on something like that being in different time zones and email would probably make it not work out.

Once you get a move-over offer, you can deal directly with Princess even if you have a TA.

The problem is that much of the time if you are using a TA the offer will be sent to the TA who must send it on to you before you can contact Princess.

I actually used a local TA. I did not know this company nor any agents.

The agent I have (found out AFTER booking) this agent works 2 days and part time. Ughhh, I hated having to wait until this person was at work for me to make any payment on my trip account.

I would give you a tip or 2: Make sure the agent would be available most of the time for anything you have questions about or taking a payment. 2nd-- Ask for discounts they will give you on the price for your business.

My agent gave us ZERO bc I did not know to ask. I assumed.

Wishing you the best with a Travel Agent. They are out there I just did not look well.

Sandra

The local TA we use is always available. I've called and gotten voice mail and then about 10 minutes later gotten a call back from clear across the US. He was out of the state for one reason or another but his office voice mail forwards to his cell and he is extremely responsive. As evidenced by my posts above he is also willing to go way beyond his normal level of service in order to keep a booking. Like I said above, he just discounted the cruise fare by $900 to keep a booking that I was going to transfer because the other place was offering a ton of OBC. Not only is he a great TA he is also a really nice guy. I'm really glad we were able to keep the booking with him.

The local TA we use is always available. I've called and gotten voice mail and then about 10 minutes later gotten a call back from clear across the US. He was out of the state for one reason or another but his office voice mail forwards to his cell and he is extremely responsive. As evidenced by my posts above he is also willing to go way beyond his normal level of service in order to keep a booking. Like I said above, he just discounted the cruise fare by $900 to keep a booking that I was going to transfer because the other place was offering a ton of OBC. Not only is he a great TA he is also a really nice guy. I'm really glad we were able to keep the booking with him.

I've been following your posts regarding changing TA and am very pleased it worked out for you. It's a sad day when you have to part ways with a long association. Problem for us is that it's an agency and the new TA is dreadful. Wish us luck as we negotiate our way out of her clutches.

Remember that agents can not post "discounted prices". You need to contact them directly to get a quote. If you are just looking off websites, the prices will not be discounted. Best of luck looking!

We book with Princess direct on the day the cruise itinerary is released, then transfer it to a big box TA as well. It is difficult to turn down refundable $1735 in OBC. Add FCC of $300, CCL Shareholders of $250, and two CC $25 and we have $2335 to spend on shorex and gratuities. I know, we are supposed to get $25 CC per cabin, but because we have two completely different CC numbers (he started cruising in 1989, me in 2003), not just #########A and #########B, and different last names, we got $50, and always two invitations to the Captains Circle parties.

I used to use the big box TAs, but when they switched to the obc instead of the same amount off the cruise [emoji568] . I started using that auction site and using one of those TAs which I guess is an internet TA . I like saving money [emoji383] off the cruise then the price of the insurance is less since it is based on the price of the cruise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I contacted Princess to pull back my booking as the big box said they could give me "around" $1,000 in refundable OBC. Princess contacted my TA who then called me. I explained the issue and sent him a transcript of the chat with the other outfit. He said he would check and get back to me. He called a bit later and said he couldn't match what they were offering but... He could knock $900 off of my booking price. I know the cruise with Princess hasn't gone down in price. I like the local TA and told him I'd take his offer in order to be able to keep it with him. All in all not a bad resolution.

Glad that worked out for both you and your regular TA.

On one of our cruises (not a Princess cruise in which our TA always discounts and gives OBC), my wife found a great price on a cruise we wanted from one of the big box TAs. Before taking it, I called our regular TA to see if he could match it. He came back and said he could not as the other TA must have had a large group of cabins, and that was not available to him. He said he understood why we would take the much lower price and wished us well..

We have gone back to him on all our cruises since then. Not only is his service good, but I do like to be recognized when I call instead of asked for a number to identify myself by. He appreciated our loyalty when we came back to him.