Brief Review, Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise 2/15

HollDoll

I just wanted to write a brief review of my recent Zuiderdam Cruise.

On embarkation they were telling everybody the Lido buffet was open, nothing about the main dining room, but we went to the main dining room and had a very nice quick lunch with very few other people there.

From reading Cruise critic and having only previously sailed on HALs newer ships, I was a bit apprehensive about the Zuiderdam. However, I cannot stress how pleasantly surprised I was. I thought the ship was in tiptop shape. I have seen carpet stains and other wear and tear on some of the other ships I've sailed on, Nieuw Amsterdam, Eurodam and Noordam, but really didn't see anything amiss on the sailing. Though the rooms have not had the upgrade they were in excellent shape, at least ours was. We were in a Signature Suite.

I have always found the food on HAL to be very good, but again, I thought the food on this sailing was outstanding. In particular, the Canaletto. We had two absolutely marvelous meals there, the food is very authentic and interesting and very well worth the $15. We also enjoyed the Pinnacle a couple times and very much enjoyed the Le Cirque. I've had that several times now and I'm looking forward to the change to the Sel de Mer.

I have done a couple transatlantic crossings which generally skews an older crowd, but I was very surprised at what a very older crowd this sailing had. Not complaining, just an observation.

One thing of note for the smokers....the area behind the Seaview bar is definitely the smoking area, and sometimes even a couple tables against the front wall of the area. However, smoking was NOT permitted at the bar itself, only the area tables. Thought it worth a mention.

Overall, I found this to be a very pleasant trip. Enjoyed the Canal and the few ports we had. Look forward to sailing HAL again!

Ps. As always, every single area of service was outstanding. I can't get over how wonderful HAL employees are.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts, and glad to hear you enjoyed the Zuiderdam. We are booked on the Zuiderdam for our very first HAL cruise (in 2018), also in a Signature Suite, so I was happy to read your comments. (And by the time we cruise, the ship will have been in a drydock, with some updates to those staterooms.)

BTW, in terms of the demographics, we've just returned from a full transit of the Panama Canal, a 16-night cruise on NCL. The average age of the passengers was 64.5 (according to an officer on board), and there were 17 passengers under 21. :)

We were on the cruise before yours, also in a signature suite. I have to say that I found the ship to be exceptionally clean - especially around the Lido Pool area. The crew worked very hard to keep the area clean and free of plates, glasses, etc.

This was the first time for us in a Signature Suite, or suite of any kind on any ship, and we are spoiled! The extra large space in the bathroom was the big plus, as well as the larger balcony. There was so much storage space that we didn't use about half the drawers. Unless we decide to take advantage of another Explore 4 sale on HAL, I think that was it for a suite for us.

Its getting cold again in the Northeast. I wish I was back on the ship now!

I just wanted to write a brief review of my recent Zuiderdam Cruise.

We also enjoyed the Pinnacle a couple times and very much enjoyed the Le Cirque. I've had that several times now and I'm looking forward to the change to the Sel de Mer.

Tell me more about the change to Sel de Mer. I'll be in the Zuiderdam in December and have the Explore4 package that includes a dinner in the Pinnacle. I was hoping to have the relatively standard Pinnacle Grill menu, but if they are switching it to a mainly seafood-focused restaurant, it won't be worth it for me. DH is a vegetarian, and I don't eat much fish/shellfish.

I just remembered...we asked to have the main dining room dinner served in our room and were told that was not possible. I went to the office to inquire as to what time I needed to order and was told it was not done. I thought that strange as I've done it before. Does that differ from ship to ship?

Thank you for the feedback on this cruise. DW and I were supposed to be on it but had to cancel several months prior and were hoping that there would be good reports. We too had a Signature Suite booked (8094) and were really looking forward to viewing the PC locks from that view point. Thanks again! :)

I just remembered...we asked to have the main dining room dinner served in our room and were told that was not possible. I went to the office to inquire as to what time I needed to order and was told it was not done. I thought that strange as I've done it before. Does that differ from ship to ship?

Anyone else had problem ordering MDR food for room service during dinner hours on recent cruises? We had done this previously on HAL last year and was hoping to still have this option on upcoming cruise next month. Does anyone know whether this is a recent change in HAL policy? Thanks in advance.

The Pinnacle is not changing as far as I know. The Sel de Mer will be replacing the Le Cirque night, which is only one night per cruise, held in the Pinnacle, with a substantial upcharge.

Ahh. I may have misunderstood your comments. I doubt my included meal at the Pinnacle would be on a special night so I am not as worried.

Thank you.

To the OP, do you happen to remember what movies were playing on board? I know the titles may change by the time our trip rolls around in two weeks, but my husband is curious. He likes to spend the couple of hours I'm at the spa watching a good film. We're hoping to coordinate the two.

I do remember a few....The Accountant, The Perfect Guy and The Finest Hours. For a couple days they played several different (I think I watched three) shows about the history and building of the Canal. They were all excellent and I learned so much. As you know, all the movies shown in the theater are shown on the television the following day. The Panama Canal documentaries seemed to play randomly, but quite frequently, on the TV,

I do remember a few....The Accountant, The Perfect Guy and The Finest Hours. For a couple days they played several different (I think I watched three) shows about the history and building of the Canal. They were all excellent and I learned so much. As you know, all the movies shown in the theater are shown on the television the following day. The Panama Canal documentaries seemed to play randomly, but quite frequently, on the TV,

Thank you! I hope The Accountant is still showing...that's one that we both wanted to see and missed while in the theater.

Surprising that they'd choose The Finest Hours. Isn't that about a maritime disaster?

Yes, but it looked very good. I only saw snippets on the ship but it is on Netflix...and I just might watch it today!

Enjoy your cruise! This cruise made me really want to do a full transit now!

We were on the same 2/15 cruise as the OP. This was our first cruse on the Zuiderdam and form the CC prior comments we were expecting a much less elegant décor. We were pleasantly surprised. We loved the ship. We were in a NS and I cannot say I saw anything out of topnotch shape.

We found the food in the dining room and PG to be some of the best we had on HAL. My BIL and his wife, and my wife and I, restarted an Atkins Induction phase on his cruise. Our dining room steward Made knew right what to do with our orders and was great. The kitchen accommodated our requests with wonderful plates of cauliflower au gratin every night. 😊

The Captain and the weather were also the best we had on a cruise. All the officers seemed much more visible and passenger approachable.

And yes our BIL and his wife are getting Global Entry. It was fabulously fast at Port Everglades.

One surprising thing on this cruise was only 5 or 6 of the Retreat Cabañas were sold for the whole week. This was a great cruise to have our normal Costa del Sol family cabana. We got smotheringly great service from the attendants.

Dennis

Holldoll,

Thanks for your review. We are going on a Panama Canal cruise next November and I was wondering what ports you stopped at what you did while there. I have heard a lot of complaints about a couple ports HAL ships are stopping at.

Thanks so much

We had four ports....Aruba, Curaçao, Panama and Costa Rica. We did the Trikes in Aruba which was really really fun...and I'm over 70. Website is Trikes (dash) Aruba dot com. Loved that. In Panama there is only a big mall which was hideous...I wouldn't even bother getting off the ship. I can't say for Curaçao as I was ill and didn't do anything. And in Costa Rica we just engaged a tour on the pier which was "okay." That's all I can tell you!