Azamara vs Royal Caribbean

papa B me

We are getting ready to disembark from a 7 day RC cruise in the Western Caribbean. This is our first Ocean Cruise in over 15 years. We have had an owners suite. I have booked an owners suite on Azamara for 2018.

Although the RC cruise has been enjoyable we have found the service both pre cruise and during the cruise really lacking. So much so that it has me concerned about Azamara(especially since it is 10k more) since they share the same ownership.

Types of service issues I'm concerned about:

RC cancelled all my dining reservations, excursions, and drink package prior to the cruise due to a systems error. Was told it was corrected prior to sailing but it wasn't. I spent hours on board getting my reservations back to match the time tables of those we were traveling with. Had to fight to get them to honor the prices I booked at precruise.

In the owners suite never saw a room attendant in the week we sailed. I know this is a minor complaint but normally when staying in a suite we always had them come by to see if anything was needed.

Information about room perks were different on line then what was actually provided.

Virtually no communication as to how things should work on the cruise, in the cabin, on the ship, etc...

Again, it wasn't a bad cruise but maybe my expectations were too high.

I certainly understand that expectations should be different on a mass market line vs a premium line such as Azamara. But I'm trying to decide whether I'm expecting too much from Azamara in the owners suite or whether I should look at Regent, Crystal or Seabourne.

If anyone has sailed both RC and Azamara I would love to hear your comparisons in regards to levels of service.

Have sailed both. RCCL is focused on mass-market cruising while Azamara focuses on the personal experience and personal attention. World of difference. Worst cruise ever was on an RCCL's Oasis which we thought would be good for a transatlantic. Horrible crew, over crowded, poor entertainment - and all the issues you mentioned. So bad RCCL even gave us 25 percent back. Have always had excellent experiences on Quest and Journey, to include one hotel manager recognizing us from a cruise two years previously as we boarded. Food, enrichment, ports, fellow international passengers, etc., are the reasons to sail Azamara.

Totally agree - service on Azamara is superb - if you have any issues ask to speak to the appropriate senior manager (Hotel Director etc) and it will be sorted asap. Not only that but they will then check back with you at least once, probably more, to be sure you are happy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a bit like saying "I had a SEAT that was a lemon, so I would never buy a Bentley from the same ownership." Read the reviews and comments here to see what Azamara is like, and forget your RCCL experience (and your 5,000 best friends).

Have sailed both. RCCL is focused on mass-market cruising while Azamara focuses on the personal experience and personal attention. World of difference. Worst cruise ever was on an RCCL's Oasis which we thought would be good for a transatlantic. Horrible crew, over crowded, poor entertainment - and all the issues you mentioned. So bad RCCL even gave us 25 percent back. Have always had excellent experiences on Quest and Journey, to include one hotel manager recognizing us from a cruise two years previously as we boarded. Food, enrichment, ports, fellow international passengers, etc., are the reasons to sail Azamara.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. We were on the Oasis as well. Your comments are reassuring. I failed to mention that I spoke with a travel agent that I was considering assigning my booking to and he said Azamara service had caused him to stop recommending them. But I got the feeling he was trying to upsell me to a more expensive line.

The itinerary is exactly what I want with Azamara so I'm just going to take a deep breath and relax and look forward to what I'm sure will be a great experience.

Thanks again.

We have sailed RCCL once (2001) and Azamara once (2016)

There is no comparison to the service, hence the number of times that we have sailed Celebrity, where we are Elite. This status meant that we were invited to a number of Top Tier events on Azamara.

I loved that the Captain attended almost all social events and was a great ambassador for the line. We were treated to local food specialities, where the chef cooked food bought in local markets.

The hotel director ( Philip) spoke to me at the Officers Lunch time buffet, when I was wandering around looking for something I could eat ( I am Lactose Intolerant) and he spoke to the chef for me to ensure that I had 'special deserts' made for me thereafter.

Edited by upwarduk
C

Thank you for your thoughtful response. We were on the Oasis as well. Your comments are reassuring. I failed to mention that I spoke with a travel agent that I was considering assigning my booking to and he said Azamara service had caused him to stop recommending them. But I got the feeling he was trying to upsell me to a more expensive line.

The itinerary is exactly what I want with Azamara so I'm just going to take a deep breath and relax and look forward to what I'm sure will be a great experience.

Thanks again.

I think you may be right about your TA trying to upsell. We have always found the service on Azamara to be second to none!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are getting ready to disembark from a 7 day RC cruise in the Western Caribbean. This is our first Ocean Cruise in over 15 years. We have had an owners suite. I have booked an owners suite on Azamara for 2018.

Although the RC cruise has been enjoyable we have found the service both pre cruise and during the cruise really lacking. So much so that it has me concerned about Azamara(especially since it is 10k more) since they share the same ownership.

Types of service issues I'm concerned about:

RC cancelled all my dining reservations, excursions, and drink package prior to the cruise due to a systems error. Was told it was corrected prior to sailing but it wasn't. I spent hours on board getting my reservations back to match the time tables of those we were traveling with. Had to fight to get them to honor the prices I booked at precruise.

In the owners suite never saw a room attendant in the week we sailed. I know this is a minor complaint but normally when staying in a suite we always had them come by to see if anything was needed.

Information about room perks were different on line then what was actually provided.

Virtually no communication as to how things should work on the cruise, in the cabin, on the ship, etc...

Again, it wasn't a bad cruise but maybe my expectations were too high.

I certainly understand that expectations should be different on a mass market line vs a premium line such as Azamara. But I'm trying to decide whether I'm expecting too much from Azamara in the owners suite or whether I should look at Regent, Crystal or Seabourne.

If anyone has sailed both RC and Azamara I would love to hear your comparisons in regards to levels of service.

To be honest, the service on Azamara I have always found to be excellent no matter what cabin I've stayed. Just a note you can't make any dining reservations prior to your cruise. Just work with the maitre d on arrival. I'd buy a drinks package onboard rather than prior once you see the included alcohol and if it's worthwhile upgrading.

Agree with what others say. Having stayed in that suite I can say you will be able to have whatever dining arrangements you want.

Azamara is not so big on pre cruise communications to set things up as they can adapt to anything once you are onboard.

For dining the Maitre ds are just great!

Phil's advice re upgrading the drinks package is wise. I'd also check out the like packages because if you want unlimited internet plus a drink upgrade plus plan a shore trip or two they are good value.

I can echo what others have written. We enjoyed our time on RCL because of its informality and low cost. It was a quick and easy getaway, fit the bill. On the other hand, the AZ experience was totally different because of the much higher level of attention, service and quality. We've sailed in the Owner's Suite 3 times and can report the the service from your cabin butler will be close to perfect. He will arrange your dining reservations in the alternative restaurants for every night. He will be available to take care of issues that come up. You will find the Hotel Director and other senior staff strolling the ship and willing to address any issues you have. Bear in mind that the AZ ships are much smaller so the scope of activities on board is much less, and thus you won't be as stimulated, but that can be a good thing. You will also meet lots of fellow passengers as the smaller ship size lends itself to forming community.

We have sailed on RCI once and Azamara four times. Two totally different experiences. We treated our children and grandchildren to a seven day cruise on RCI and it was a very nice cruise. They loved it so we did. Lots to do, especially for the kids. Entertainment good. Food was fine. I had my expectations in order. Azamara is for grown ups. Not so much to do. Much better food. More personal service (although I must say that the RCI staff were great....even cutting meat for the little ones[emoji3]). I choose Azamara for their itineraries, attentive staff and quiet atmosphere. Definitely worth it in my estimation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will take our 4th Azamara cruise the 3rd on the Quest and you will Love the service, on our very first Azamara cruise on the second day I went to breakfast by myself and one of the waiters asked " where is Mr Eric this morning?", ever since that we just can't get enough of Azamara! Enjoy !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree with what others say. Having stayed in that suite I can say you will be able to have whatever dining arrangements you want.

Azamara is not so big on pre cruise communications to set things up as they can adapt to anything once you are onboard.

For dining the Maitre ds are just great!

Phil's advice re upgrading the drinks package is wise. I'd also check out the like packages because if you want unlimited internet plus a drink upgrade plus plan a shore trip or two they are good value.

It's lovely to read everyone's accolades for our little cruise line...thank you!

And, thank you, uktog, for your suggestion to check out our 'like' packages.

Here's a link to our More to Love packages (Like, Adore, Love). These are packages you can book pre-cruise and you'll save on the bundle of amenities that meet your needs. You can also book them once onboard if you prefer to wait.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/onboard-packages/more-love-packages

Bonnie,

Thank you for the link. These posts have releived a lot of my concerns after our most recent cruise experience. I will study the packages. With the OBC received at booking and the perks provided by the Owners Suite I'm thinking I may not need an additional package as I feel the included drinks is fine for me(not a big drinker) and I think the allotted internet included will be fine. Everyone feel free to correct my thinking if you feel I should add a package in addition to the suite perks and OBC($1150 for early booking and internet booking).

Thanks again for all your help

Bonnie,

Thank you for the link. These posts have releived a lot of my concerns after our most recent cruise experience. I will study the packages. With the OBC received at booking and the perks provided by the Owners Suite I'm thinking I may not need an additional package as I feel the included drinks is fine for me(not a big drinker) and I think the allotted internet included will be fine. Everyone feel free to correct my thinking if you feel I should add a package in addition to the suite perks and OBC($1150 for early booking and internet booking).

You can use your OBC to add perks once onboard including the Like packages - my thinking would be wait and see and enjoy it as you want to then

Bonnie,

Bear in mind that if you want to sign up for unlimited internet separately when you get on the ship you'll receive a $150 discount off the price because you are staying in a suite. There will be details in your cabin or ask at Guest Relations if you want to buy one. Just another thought.

Bonnie,

You are welcome.