Question about Chair hogs.

es0

I am planning to take my first cruise in a few weeks.

I have read several comments about chair hogs, which made me wonder.. could a person take the items that are abandoned on a chair and turn them into lost and found? :confused:

I am planning to take my first cruise in a few weeks.

I have read several comments about chair hogs, which made me wonder.. could a person take the items that are abandoned on a chair and turn them into lost and found? :confused:

...or ask one of the pool attendants to remove the items.

I don't recommend going on a cruise in the offensive mode looking for trouble.

You are reacting to a problem that hasn't happened..

Wait until you are onboard before deciding if you are wronged or not.....

I don't recommend going on a cruise in the offensive mode looking for trouble.

You are reacting to a problem that hasn't happened..

Wait until you are onboard before deciding if you are wronged or not.....

Please don't get me wrong. I am in no way contemplating running into the chair hog problem. I am not much of a chair lounging person. I have merely noticed many people make reference to the hogs and did not understand what the problem was.

Our most recent (November) cruise on Allure I found the deck attendants more diligent at removing stuff. We commended our attendant one day and he acknowledged they have been told to be more attune to people dropping their stuff and then not coming back for hours.

We watched one day when a couple got upset with him when he had removed their stuff after it sat there for at least two hours (it was there before we even got there). I could hear them yelling that they had only been gone 30 min, which was a flat out lie. He was very nice about getting their stuff back and volunteering to find them other deck chairs. They weren't happy and told him as such.

After they stomped off threatening to "tell somebody" I told him if there were any repercussions to have them come talk to me and I will back him up on how well he handled the situation.

es0...I'm sure most of the post you're referencing are the ones concerning loungers by the pool or on the pool deck. If so and my preference is the deck above the pool deck. I've never had a problem finding a lounger up there.

es0...Another option is the deck above the pool deck. I've never had a problem finding a lounger up there.

I love chair hog threads and this one is in danger of dying out so I will add that on a Navigator cruise in 09, we couldnt find any there either. ;) It was of course a sea day.

I love chair hog threads and this one is in danger of dying out so I will add that on a Navigator cruise in 09, we couldnt find any there either. ;) It was of course a sea day.

Bummer for you but that has never been my experience on sea days.

have to ask. what is the allure of being literally sandwiched between people just to be close to a pool? from all ive seen you are literally elbow to elbow, zero space to walk between chairs. you gotta scootch up since there is no 'floor' between chairs'

where do you put your stuff once you are on one? you cannot reach underneath.

i guess i'm crowd averse by nature so this just seems like torture to me.

and if you get near some people behaving in appropriately, you are sunk.

have to ask. what is the allure of being literally sandwiched between people just to be close to a pool? from all ive seen you are literally elbow to elbow, zero space to walk between chairs. you gotta scootch up since there is no 'floor' between chairs'

The chairs do move. They are just lined up that way by the deck crew overnight.

Maybe the "despicable line cutters" also use pool loungers:confused:

Has any of the Royal ships tried to have a cubby or locker type space nearby - Personally if I am at the pool, I like to be watching the kids or just sitting on the side - BUT I need a place to put my towel, bag and flip flops so they don't get wet! I always hated putting stuff on a chair because I didn't need to be sitting there. When you have kids in the pool - you can't be on the upper deck or back by the windows.

Has any of the Royal ships tried to have a cubby or locker type space nearby - Personally if I am at the pool, I like to be watching the kids or just sitting on the side - BUT I need a place to put my towel, bag and flip flops so they don't get wet! I always hated putting stuff on a chair because I didn't need to be sitting there. When you have kids in the pool - you can't be on the upper deck or back by the windows.

That is something I even brought up at a Captains' corner on at least one occasion and in several chair hog threads hoping someone at RC would read it. I frequently show up at the pool and intend on being in the water 30 minutes or so and leaving and I would love this.

On my last cruise on the Oasis last month I saw a couple carrying a lounge chair down the stairwell. They must have been taking it to their cabin balcony. This is taking "Chair Hog" to a completely new level. I would hope the cabin staff would report this to their management.

Same thing for us, I basically need a place to stash 4 towels and a bag with coverups and sunscreen! We are not 'lay in the sun' people.

I've always wondered what people do with their room keys if they don't bring a bag with them. I tried putting it on a lanyard but it was annoying and the writing started to wipe off.

Chair Hogs on Serenade 2/13 cruise last month were THICK!! :mad: Poor DH could not even find

a chair anywhere on deck during the first sea day, and he likes to read in the sun as far away from the pool as possible. The Hogs were taking not only the towels and throwing them on every chair they could find, but taking books out of the library as "props". That made finding a book in the library to....OMG...actually READ :eek:...difficult also. :(

Most of those loungers were empty the whole time we would walk by during the day. Pool

attendants were obviously not enforcing anything. Shame.

Me I had my usual reserved chair on my balcony to use for the whole cruise. :cool:

I put my towels and drink on one chair, my books on another and sit in the middle chair...CHAIR HOG! (kidding)

This, exactly. I have a 6 year old, so she can't be in the pool alone without me nearby. Same with the splash/play areas. She does not have any siblings to keep an eye on her. I don't have to be "in the water" but I can't be 10 rows away or on another deck. Assuming that DH is checking out the slides or flow rider, I am likely to be very near the pool keeping an eye on my daughter, although I may not be in it myself. I don't really want to stand there by the pool holding all of my stuff and DD's stuff. Of course if we did have a chair, I would only need one, DD and DH's stuff don't need their own chair. Of course if I could get one very close to the pool I could actually sit in the chair and keep an eye on my kiddo. It has not really be an issue so far since my daughter is pretty young and has only been potty trained for the last 2 cruises. One of those cruises we did not use the pool for and the other was Disney and she played in the splash area and I was able to have a chair in the front row.

Surely, in this day of digital technology, we cannot find a solution to this?

I recommend chairs with a built in parking meter!

Go to the chair, swipe your card and get a ticket. Maximum time alotted (is 3 hours reasonable for getting sun and a snooze?). Ticket has your name, Chair #, Time in and Time Out. Once the meter runs out, you have the option to swipe again, or leave so others can enjoy a pre-warmed chair.

The direction I DO NOT want to go is having the chair serial numbered and networked wirelessly where you have to use you Cruise Planner to reserve your chair 90 days before sailing!

Surely, in this day of digital technology, we cannot find a solution to this?

I recommend chairs with a built in parking meter!

Go to the chair, swipe your card and get a ticket. Maximum time alotted (is 3 hours reasonable for getting sun and a snooze?). Ticket has your name, Chair #, Time in and Time Out. Once the meter runs out, you have the option to swipe again, or leave so others can enjoy a pre-warmed chair.

The direction I DO NOT want to go is having the chair serial numbered and networked wirelessly where you have to use you Cruise Planner to reserve your chair 90 days before sailing!

LOL!! Good one! :p

Actually, though not digital, I have read on these boards that some pool attendants, (can't remember which ship) were tossing notes with the time of day on those unused loungers. At 30 minutes, if the notes were still there untouched, they would come back through and pick up the items, tossing the towels and putting the "stuff" behind the counter in open cubby holes for pickup. ;)