Warning! Warning!!! T.i.

He is not [...] demanding that they immediately end their contract with them.

RCL should suspend it's association with the company or at least not sponsor it in their presentations.

He kinda is...even if only temporarily.

And, I thought this post was about the rapper. I got all excited for nothing. LOL!!!

The ONLY person / people who had any access to that card was the employees in T.I. store PERIOD. That particular card did not come out of the wallet and had a zero balance on the card. Not used in any public transaction. It is suspicious that the card leaves with the employee into a back room during the sale. There was no other time that card could have been compromised except in that store at that time in Grand Cayman.

I have heard this story more times than I can count with my business. Yet it's demonstrably impossible it was not us.

I'm not saying TI didn't jack your info, but you really never know. Are you saying you took it out of the envelope, brand new, right onto the ship, and only used it at this one vendor? Only place the card has ever been used, ever?

I have heard this story more times than I can count with my business. Yet it's demonstrably impossible it was not us.

I'm not saying TI didn't jack your info, but you really never know. Are you saying you took it out of the envelope, brand new, right onto the ship, and only used it at this one vendor? Only place the card has ever been used, ever?

..........it was my wife's card and "yes" she has not used that card in years. The company actually sent a chip card last year. If I (we) had used it someplace else I would not be so suspicious but as we find out now maybe it is the 'Russians" :eek:

I also carry all my credit cards on a rfid sleeve -as well as passport -I'm enrolled in a credit monitoring service -and have placed credit fraud alerts on my fill -for no credit to be issued unless I am contacted by home or cell phone -I usually don't purchase anything on line unless it's from my desk top -& browse in secure mode with updated security program

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry this happened to you. It is a terrible feeling when this happens. I had it happen to us 2 days before we were to leave on vacation. I check my balances everyday and noticed 2 little amounts mixed in with the larger ones we purchased. Did not think anything of them as they were less than $3.00, really thought the vendor put a hold like other do then a large charge showed up that we did not make. Called the credit card right away and found out the card was used to book a vacation on AirBNB. Got a credit right away but did not have the card for vacation. If you have not already, I put an alert on my cards if anything is charged over $1.00 I get a message.

Better safe than sorry. I had a CC number stolen from a card that I didn't use, Had not used and I got a call from Discover that someone in PA was using my card and I was in MI sitting at my desk working. SInce I have had my RFID blockers I had not had another problem. I don't know how they got my number unless it was someone in the Discover office. SO I WOULD RATHER HAVE THEM THEN NOT. 10.00 for 10 sleeves and 2 passport holders and another 19.00 for a purse was worth it to me.

Something I learned on my last cruise, Oasis 1/22/17. Trusted vendors do not have a relationship with the cruise line, they buy advertising with the cruise line to get in the booklets passed out for each port and to be mentioned in the port talks on the ships. Any store in any port can be listed as a trusted site by buying advertising with the cruise line. There may be some guidelines or rules these stores may have to follow, but this does not guarantee their employees are trustworthy. Buyers beware!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The best part about the entire situation is that everything can be recovered, and karma is a you know what. it may be frustrating now, but you will eventually get all of the money back. The only thing we can do is learn from it, improve upon it, and move on. Honestly for fear of my information getting stolen I try not to use cards as much, but the benefit of a card is that you won't lose the money if someone tries to copy that.

There is no benefit to cc theft. The cost is very high and it is passed on to the consumer in everything you buy.

A chip card is not always an RFID card. You might want to look up the difference and how to tell what kind of card you have.

An RFID card can be "read" from your pocket and you should block it somehow when you're not using it. A card with a chip (and no RFID), not so much.

OP, sorry this occurred. It's another reminder to all of us to be safe on these cruises, but CC fraud is everywhere. I'd recommend RFID sleeves for cards.

I'd also say this, be very cautious about purchasing ANY tanzanite. It's all over the place these days; amazing how much of it is out there where the only supposed source is an African propagating fissure system.,

For all those interested just returned from the Freedom of the Seas and found out our credit card number was STOLEN!. The ONLY place this card was used was in Tanzanite International Grand Cayman. No other time was this card used. All our on board purchases were with the R.C. card. T.I. was a "trusted vendor" by RCL according to the on board "expert" Li. :eek:Ha! so much for "trusted". RCL should really examine with whom it deals in the future and if a percentage is worth the future distrust of this family on anything RCL sponsors on future cruises.

As far as the 6 day Western cruise it was "hmmmmp" and if you have any questions just ask.

Hate to say this but your card could have been stolen in any number of ways, you actually have zero clue to how it was done....K.O.:rolleyes:

Your card can be scanned and never leave your wallet. Where was your card used? Our card was used at LAX but not by us. It never left my husbands wallet. We passed thru that airport on the way to Europe. Spent about 2hrs in between flights.

Several thoughts:

- Yes, your card could've been stolen any number of ways. The jewelry store is only one possibility.

- When we hear that Royal "recommends" a certain store, that really means that the store is giving Royal a kickback to promote them to cruisers. I'm not at all impressed by any store's "connections" to the cruise line.

- If you're worried about your number being stolen, one way to avoid trouble is to pick up a VISA gift card from your local bank and use that as your "spending money" on the islands. If you don't bring your real credit card off the ship, your chances of having the number stolen are reduced.

Several thoughts:

- Yes, your card could've been stolen any number of ways. The jewelry store is only one possibility.

- When we hear that Royal "recommends" a certain store, that really means that the store is giving Royal a kickback to promote them to cruisers. I'm not at all impressed by any store's "connections" to the cruise line.

- If you're worried about your number being stolen, one way to avoid trouble is to pick up a VISA gift card from your local bank and use that as your "spending money" on the islands. If you don't bring your real credit card off the ship, your chances of having the number stolen are reduced.

ALERT!!!! The fine print on the back of most if those Visa Gift cards (Am Ex, MC, etc) clearly state the card can be used in the United States ONLY!

The good thing about the carribean ports is you

love sailing with RCCL

The good thing about the carribean ports is you often just walk off the ship into shops so we as a precaution just take cash(about$500 dollars Max) and if we saw something expensive my wife liked it is only a short walk back to the ship to get a credit card.

love sailing with RCCL

I also carry all my credit cards on a rfid sleeve -as well as passport -I'm enrolled in a credit monitoring service -and have placed credit fraud alerts on my fill -for no credit to be issued unless I am contacted by home or cell phone -I usually don't purchase anything on line unless it's from my desk top -& browse in secure mode with updated security program

Interesting read on RFDI protection and why it's rarely needed

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3023422/security/why-you-dont-need-an-rfid-blocking-wallet.html

I travel for work so I spend lots if time in hotels. My card number has been stolen four times. Once it was used in a foreign country on an employment agency in the US. The State Police did come to our house for that one. It was odd. I think they were concerned somebody was coming into the country. The credit card company reported that one and told me the police would be stopping by. The other times it was just purchases for large gift cards in places I obviously was not at. I just shrug it off now. I am only out the inconvenience of replacing that card. Paying for someone else's bad behavior seems to be the norm these days. The credit card company told me the number can be scanned and sold or a reader put into the little machine where you swipe your card. I hear there is more credit card theft with the chip than we had before. Stealing credit cards are very costly for the credit card company.

I travel for work so I spend lots if time in hotels. My card number has been stolen four times. Once it was used in a foreign country on an employment agency in the US. The State Police did come to our house for that one. It was odd. I think they were concerned somebody was coming into the country. The credit card company reported that one and told me the police would be stopping by. The other times it was just purchases for large gift cards in places I obviously was not at. I just shrug it off now. I am only out the inconvenience of replacing that card. Paying for someone else's bad behavior seems to be the norm these days. The credit card company told me the number can be scanned and sold or a reader put into the little machine where you swipe your card. I hear there is more credit card theft with the chip than we had before. Stealing credit cards are very costly for the credit card company.

In England we use chip and pin which is safer in shops as the pin has to be correct although if anything is bought on line if you have card expiry date and 3 number security number on back of card it will work.

It is the contactless debit cards and I returned mine to the bank because if you are in a shop near a card reader machine if the bill is under £30 you could be paying someone else's bill and yes it happened to me so beware.

love sailing with RCCL

I never understood the uprising over a stolen number. I have had mine stolen plenty of times, I use my card everywhere for most everything.

A five minute phone call, a new card is overnighted, and the charges are wiped. Big deal.

Because these things can happen and happen often you need to make sure you travel with more than one credit card or you may find yourself in an embarrassing mess! ;)

If you live in rural Oregon and have a Visa thru the local credit union getting a card "over night" in Kenya could be a huge problem.

So be sure and have a back up card or two. My DH and I each carry 2 different cards (that's 4 different acts) that way if his wallet is lost or stolen and those cards gone we still have two additional cards remaining. We do the same with ATM cards. Two different banks and two completely different cards.

I call this planning for the worst and hoping for the best!

I never understood the uprising over a stolen number. I have had mine stolen plenty of times, I use my card everywhere for most everything.

A five minute phone call, a new card is overnighted, and the charges are wiped. Big deal.

Just the inconvenience of it all,I would be very concerned if my number had been stolen just once.

love sailing with RCCL

Thanks for reporting this. RFID blockers are a good idea. Card info can be stolen from anywhere. it's also why when we cruise we try to use cash in ports not cards.

While I'm sure stuff in the display counters look wonderful and the sales guys will schmooze all over you, I'd think more than twice before buying anything from DI or TI or other port vendors with or without a cc.

Just an FYI The RFID wallets and blockers will set off most metal detectors. I use one everyday.