Laundry on HAL Ships

3jesse3

We've sailed on many HAL ships but have never used their laundry service. Even on the 14 nighters I've hand washed necessities. We're sailing on the Amsterdam to Alaska on June 5th and considering buying the unlimited laundry service so wondering if delicate fabrics are treated as such and how t-shirts, etc. that might shrink are handled? If not good we'll either hand wash or use the self-service machines. Thanks in advance. Pam

Absolutely no problems with any of our clothes using the unlimited laundry. Everything came back beautifully. Knits, cottons, denim, underwear. Blouses I iron at home came back from the laundry perfectly. No shrinking. And I love finding the laundry tags months later. Memories!

I don't sent out anything I would not wash and dry myself at home. Just shorts, t-shirts, jeans, socks, guys undies.

The ladies undies stay in the laundry bag in my luggage.

Never had a problem with what I send out and it always comes back looking great, including those t-shirts and jeans, which are pressed. lol

We have free laundry, so we use all the time. Just pack items that have been washed many times. Nothing delicate. We send out tshirts, jeans, shirts, socks, underwear. Cotton items that have been previously washed seem to hold up best. Have never had anything ruined. Everything comes back pressed and ready to go.

RE: Hot Hot...someone posted on here one time that they had taken a tour of the laundry facilities on a HAL ship and were shown where the "personal laundry" was done. They asked specifically about the HOT and HOT issue and were told it was not true.

I've used their laundry facilities for 10 years and love it...have never had anything ruined. The only handwash I do are my bras. (and by the way, you can pack quite a bit into those bags...before we got "free laundry" I never signed up for anything more than one bag at a time. Usually 2 bags on a 10-day cruise did it for us.)

Our only problem with laundry has been white socks coming back pretty close to the HAL blue hulls. I joking told the Concierge on Westerdam that if they were going to dye them dark blue at least sew the HAL logo on.

After several washings at home the blue was pretty much gone.

I had read somewhere that you can write in that you want your laundry washed in cold - guessing this isn't true?

I have been writing in "cold wash and dry low" for many years for hiking pants and golf shirts that require it. Never had a problem.

I had read somewhere that you can write in that you want your laundry washed in cold - guessing this isn't true?

It has been for me.

A lot of the stuff can be washed but not in hot water and I don't do at home.

I just circle the item and write COLD and in the remarks, put please wash in cold water. thank you.

I have never had an issue.

BTW I find that traditionally - the smaller ships get whites whiter, etc. That might just be our experience though ;)

Just back from 18 day Hawaii cruise on Westerdam - we used the $20 per bag deal three times - including dress shirts. We had no problems, tee shirts, etc. come back folded, dress shirts, khakis come back well ironed, on hangars.[/quote

Before reaching free laundry status on HAL, I used the $20/bag. You will be amazed at how much you can stuff into that bag. Mine would become a dangerous weapon if you got hit with it.. Two days before end of cruise, I send out my laundry and mark it to be FOLDED not hung. Really great arriving home without that big smelly bag of dirty laundry.

We never had issue with laundry except the white socks changed to hint of blue.

Other items came back just fine....except this last cruise,lol

We sent out our undies and my pink ones came back yellowish but still had pink

band,lol and hubbys black came back burgundy with black band,lol I know

maybe got wrong ones,lol but no. Just be mindful of what you send out, that's all.

Wonder what color would they be if we sent them out again? Change it up a bit!,lol

I had an issue with adress that was dry clean only. Marked it as such on the bag and it came back shorter. It was not a "fancy" dress nor was it very expensive. Wished I hadn;t thoiugh as it had fit pretty well beforehand. Jeans, underwear and shirts were fine. They iron things beautifully, But no more dry clean only for me. It appeared it was washed with the regular laundry. I've done it myself so I knew how it looked,lol. I didn;t make a big deal over it, just a live and learn thing

I am hoping we can purchase unlimited laundry for $7.00 per bag. Please confirm and do I just inform my cabin steward?

It's $7 per day times the number of days in the cruise, not $7 per bag. BIG difference!

Just mark the laundry invoice slip "unlimited", and it should be taken care of easily. Leave the bag on the bed, and it will be taken when the room is serviced.

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up to earlier post:

We opted for the unlimited laundry @$7.00 /day or $70.00 for our 10 night cruise. We sent out a bag every morning and it was returned either the same evening or the following morning. Shirts pressed, even nightgowns and undershirts on hangers. The first time we got our underwear back we thought someone had sent us a present. It was placed in a wicker basket, wrapped in tissue paper with a gold seal.

Never thought I could be so impressed by clean laundry 😃

Absolutely no problems with any of our clothes using the unlimited laundry. Everything came back beautifully. Knits, cottons, denim, underwear. Blouses I iron at home came back from the laundry perfectly. No shrinking. And I love finding the laundry tags months later. Memories!

Ditto.Your underwear comes back folded and everything else on hangers in a nice paperlined basket sometimes the same day, usually the next day. :D:D:D

I have used the HAL laundry service for 16 cruises on 10 different Dam ships.:eek: