Jade Kids Pool - are Swim Diapers permitted ?

MCC retired

Unless stated no diapers are not aloud. Cruise ships don't have the same filtration system as land based pools. Also swim diapers are only designed to stop solids getting out, not fecal bacteria or particulates. The diapers are not that reliable, so if solid fecal matter escapes the whole pool will have to be shut down to be cleaned, not a quick job.

So please don't bring your diapered child in to the pool, unless it's a baby pool where it's allowed.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Unless stated no diapers are not aloud. Cruise ships don't have the same filtration system as land based pools. Also swim diapers are only designed to stop solids getting out, not fecal bacteria or particulates. The diapers are not that reliable, so if solid fecal matter escapes the whole pool will have to be shut down to be cleaned, not a quick job.

So please don't bring your diapered child in to the pool, unless it's a baby pool where it's allowed.

Actually, cruise ship pools have exactly the same filtration system as shore pools. Cruise ship pools have better chlorination systems, and maintain higher levels of chlorine than shore pools. The difference is who is making the regulations regarding the pools. Shore pools are regulated by local and state health codes, while cruise ships must meet USPH/CDC regulations. The CDC surveyed a couple hundred public pools around the US, and while all of them met the local and state codes, 80% of them would have been shut down if under USPH/CDC regulations like cruise ships.

When the Jade became the Jade (from the Pride of Hawaii) and was home ported in Europe, the kid's pool area had a small pool that allowed swim diapers, even though it did not meet the USPH/CDC requirements for these special pools. Since the Jade, at the time was not calling in the US, it did not have to meet USPH/CDC regulations, only the EU's ShipSan regulations, which don't restrict swim diapers. However, once the Jade returned to the US, swim diapers are no longer allowed.

USPH/CDC regulations for water facilities that allow swim diapers require a separate water supply from all other pools, a higher turn-over rate (more frequent filtration), and a UV sterilizer for the pool water in addition to the normal chlorination. There must also be a crew member assigned to the pool, and a supply of swim diapers provided.

Currently, the only ships that allow children in swim diapers are the Disney ships, and the RCI Freedom, Oasis, and Quantum class ships.

The reason is...if there is "poop" in the diaper, the pool water flows thru the diaper (and poop) and into the pool...the pools are not big enough to clean the bacteria out, like land-based pools. It's a health hazard...especially for kids. The water areas on other ships are not POOLS...but "splash" areas that allow diapered kids in the water.

oh how I agree with you on this. It is hard, I am sure for young families with babies and toddlers, but it is for a good reason. The advise I have seen many time is: bring a delatable small pool for the tiny ones. The crew is more than willing to help set it up. As mentioned the filter system on ships is not the same as land based pools.

As mentioned the filter system on ships is not the same as land based pools.

I'll take the real facts on this from the Chief Engineer, who knows what he is talking about:

Actually, cruise ship pools have exactly the same filtration system as shore pools

And as he explained, the filtration system is not the issue. Please see post 5 above.