St Petersburg Russia....do I need a Russian Visa?

Cyndi-J

We will be arriving in St Petersburg Russia on the Regal Princess in May. I am reading that you need a Russian visa if you want to explore the city on your own. Does anyone know this to be a fact and how much of a hassle is it to get a visa? Thanks in advance for any insight! :hearteyes:

Russia is not a place where you can go off on your own tour. Select one of the ship's tours and they will arrange a day visa for you.

Otherwise, if you want to try to get a Visa, you can go through an expediter:

http://www.visaexpress.net/russia/russiatouristvisa.htm

or through the embassy:

http://www.russianembassy.org/page/general-visa-information

A woman (US citizen) I know visited (for a number of days) a friend in Russia a few years ago. The visa process was an expensive nightmare that took forwever and totally unnecessary if you are taking a private or ship's excursion. Sign up with a private tour company (smaller groups, cheaper price than the ship excursions) and they will handle it but you must stay with the tour - no wandering off on your own. If you need info on the various reputable tour companies check out the Baltics Port of Call forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

You do not need a visa for Russia if you are on a ship tour or going with one of the private tour companies. Check the Ports of call section for St. Petersburg and the Roll Cal for your cruise for more info. There are several private companies that people use. We are planning to use SPB next year.

If you want to go on your own, then you will need a visa in advance. They are not cheap and the application is a bit of a pain in the ###. However, it can be done. A few years ago, we took a Russian River cruise and needed to get visas. I think they were about $600 for the two of us. This include the visa service's fees and the Russian charge for the visa.

St Petersburg is not a port you want to explore on your own anyway. The ship berths out of town. Most of the best places to visit there are quite a long way from the port.

The immigration officials will not let you enter unless you have confirmation that you are on a tour, or have a visa.

There is nobody on the docks there offering day tours. You need to have a tour organised in advance.

Hi Cyndi, and welcome to Cruise Critic,

You've already received good advice on this thread.

But just to ram home a point...........

Most cruise lines are very crafty about their phraseology, they tell you that you need a visa to go ashore on your own (true) but that you don't need a visa if you book a ship-sponsored tour (also true).

What they fail to tell you is that you can go ashore visa-free for a tour pre-booked with one of the many excellent local govt-approved tour operators.

Princess is slightly different. They don't mess with crafty phraseology - they simply lie by saying that the only way to go ashore visa-free is by taking a Princess tour. Grossly untrue, and they know it !!

You do have to pre-book, because the tour ticket that the local tour operator e-mails to you (or the ship's tour ticket that's given to you aboard the ship) gets you through immigration without a visa.

You don't have to pay with your booking - the local operators trust you, you pay (USD or roubles or plastic) during the tour.

Note that you can only go ashore visa-free for the tour/s that you've booked. A tour ticket for day one won't get you through immigration on day 2.

Local operators use 16-seat vans, not large coaches. They sell seat-in-van - you don't have to fix up a tour-share. Much more personal, much more flexible. And they include for instance a trip on a hydrofoil and a subway - impossible with larger groups.

Google Alla Tours, SPB Tours, Best Guides, TJ Travel, DenRus, Anastasia. And there are others. All very good, you won't go wrong with any of them.

Lots more info on the subject, and your other ports of call, on the Baltic forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=192

JB :)

........But just to ram home a point...........

Most cruise lines are very crafty about their phraseology, they tell you that you need a visa to go ashore on your own (true) but that you don't need a visa if you book a ship-sponsored tour (also true).

What they fail to tell you is that you can go ashore visa-free for a tour pre-booked with one of the many excellent local govt-approved tour operators.

Princess is slightly different. They don't mess with crafty phraseology - they simply lie by saying that the only way to go ashore visa-free is by taking a Princess tour. Grossly untrue, and they know it !!........

I don't agree with your accusations of lying or "being crafty" by withholding information about private tour options. They are under no obligation to tell you about other options other than what they can provide. It is simply doing business. Expecting the cruise lines to tell you about private tours is like expecting Coca Cola to tell you that Pepsi is available for purchase at the same stores you find Coke products in. In both cases they don't tell you about the options because they are selling their own product, not the competition's. It is up to the customer to do research and learn about options, not the cruise line's responsibility.

Some people find conspiracy theories in just about anything. :rolleyes:

We did the Baltics cruise on the Regal last May 2015. For St. Petersburg, we did the 2-day Deluxe St,Petersburg Tour with SPB Tours which cost us a lot less from the ship's tour. Aside from our passport, we just showed our tour voucher to the Russian immigration officer.

The only disadvantage we experienced in not getting Princess' own excursion was we had to wait for all passengers who booked the ship's tour to disembark before we were allowed to. But there was really not much effect as there were many assigned immigration officers and the lines moved fast.

I don't agree with your accusations of lying or "being crafty" by withholding information about private tour options. They are under no obligation to tell you about other options other than what they can provide. It is simply doing business. Expecting the cruise lines to tell you about private tours is like expecting Coca Cola to tell you that Pepsi is available for purchase at the same stores you find Coke products in. In both cases they don't tell you about the options because they are selling their own product, not the competition's. It is up to the customer to do research and learn about options, not the cruise line's responsibility.

If in fact this statement - "Princess is slightly different. They don't mess with crafty phraseology - they simply lie by saying that the only way to go ashore visa-free is by taking a Princess tour. " is true, they are outright lying. However, that is not surprising as cruise companies are famous for either directly lying about stuff or using language that seems to say one thing but really means something else.

DON

If in fact this statement - "Princess is slightly different. They don't mess with crafty phraseology - they simply lie by saying that the only way to go ashore visa-free is by taking a Princess tour. " is true, they are outright lying. However, that is not surprising as cruise companies are famous for either directly lying about stuff or using language that seems to say one thing but really means something else.

DON

I can't help but wonder why you go on cruises if you believe the cruise lines directly lie to you or trick you with their use of language. Why continue to do business with an industry that you have such a low opinion of? :confused:

If I felt as you do, I would not be cruising as a matter of principal. No way would I do business with a company that I believed directly lies to me and does not present accurate information in an effort to keep me confused.

DON

RCI said nothing before my cruise or onboard and as I was getting off in St Petersburg they only said "have a nice day" :D....I knew to book my private tour thanks to these boards. An amazing private tour with TJ Travel:*

We'll just disagree about whether this from P&O, typical of cruise lines, is crafty phraseology

" if you are participating in an organised P&O Cruises shore excursion, we will arrange a group visa (group visa applies to all nationalities) to cover you for the duration of your excursion/time on board:

If you intend to go ashore independently in St Petersburg, a Russian visa is required",

But are you saying that this, on Princess' own website, isn't an outright LIE :rolleyes:

"Guests who wish to sightsee without purchasing a Princess Cruises Shore Excursion must obtain an individual Russian Tourist Visa before leaving home"

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp under the "visa" heading"

Many cruisers have complained on Cruise Critic pages that they're told the same thing by Princess staff.

And here's a typical TripAdvisor thread on the subject

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298507-i707-k1825634-False_Visa_Information_on_Princess_Cruise_Site-St_Petersburg_Northwestern_District.html

No, I don't expect Coca-Cola to tell me about Pepsi.

That's OK, cos they've never claimed that Coke is the only cola available. :rolleyes:

I'm no conspiracy theorist. :rolleyes:

I deal with facts. Perhaps you should check yours before posting :rolleyes:

JB :mad:

We'll just disagree about whether this from P&O, typical of cruise lines, is crafty phraseology

" if you are participating in an organised P&O Cruises shore excursion, we will arrange a group visa (group visa applies to all nationalities) to cover you for the duration of your excursion/time on board:

If you intend to go ashore independently in St Petersburg, a Russian visa is required",

But are you saying that this, on Princess' own website, isn't an outright LIE :rolleyes:

"Guests who wish to sightsee without purchasing a Princess Cruises Shore Excursion must obtain an individual Russian Tourist Visa before leaving home"

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp under the "visa" heading"

Many cruisers have complained on Cruise Critic pages that they're told the same thing by Princess staff.

And here's a typical TripAdvisor thread on the subject

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298507-i707-k1825634-False_Visa_Information_on_Princess_Cruise_Site-St_Petersburg_Northwestern_District.html

No, I don't expect Coca-Cola to tell me about Pepsi.

That's OK, cos they've never claimed that Coke is the only cola available. :rolleyes:

I'm no conspiracy theorist. :rolleyes:

I deal with facts. Perhaps you should check yours before posting :rolleyes:

JB :mad:

Yeah, whatever. I prefer to live my life in a positive light, not constantly angry at or suspicious of the companies I do business with. If you prefer to live that way, good for you. Seems like a pretty unpleasant way to go through life, though. But if it gets you through a day, give it your best shot. It won't affect me in the slightest how distrusting you insist on being.

I do hope that once you are on board a ship, you can relax and ignore that you are being lied to, taken advantage of, and being tricked into things you don't want during your cruise. Do try to have fun for those few days!

Yeah, whatever. I prefer to live my life in a positive light, not constantly angry at or suspicious of the companies I do business with. If you prefer to live that way, good for you. Seems like a pretty unpleasant way to go through life, though. But if it gets you through a day, give it your best shot. It won't affect me in the slightest how distrusting you insist on being.

I do hope that once you are on board a ship, you can relax and ignore that you are being lied to, taken advantage of, and being tricked into things you don't want during your cruise. Do try to have fun for those few days!

"Weasel-wording" is one thing, and I accept that companies do this and that in doing so they are acting in their own interest.

However, outright lies are something else, and JB is far from the only person to have complained about it on these boards.

If we don't hold corporations to SOME sort of standard, where will things end up? Would you be okay if Princess tells you, for example, that the only way you can get off the ship in St. Petersburg is to pay extra to cruise in a suite?

Jeez, SFF, all I did was to forewarn the OP that the visa information given out by Princess was a lie.

And you've elevated that one simple warning to my being "constantly angry & suspicious", "a conspiracy theorist" etc ad-nauseam.

Mebbe you should reflect which of us is leading the more negative and angry life. :rolleyes:

Jeez, SFF, all I did was to forewarn the OP that the visa information given out by Princess was a lie.

And you've elevated that one simple warning to my being "constantly angry & suspicious", "a conspiracy theorist" etc ad-nauseam.

Mebbe you should reflect which of us is leading the more negative and angry life. :rolleyes:

Not angry, Just a dumb rube who believes whatever they tell me, or so you probably think.

I just don't have the "they are out to get me" mentality like you do. Since it is you, and not me, who is accusing the cruise lines of lying and falsifying the information they give out for their own personal gain, I hardly see where I am the one who is "more negative and angry".

So, go ahead and continue to accuse me of being the angry one, all the while demonstrating that it is you who is clearly angry at the cruise lines because you believe they are deceiving you with lies. Doesn't bother me in the slightest what you think about me. I will continue to enjoy my cruises without hesitation, since I don't concern myself about all the supposed lies you claim they are telling me. After all, you are concerned enough about that for the both of us. ;)

Feel compelled to jump in on the ongoing argument regarding Princess and SPB. As an elite on princess I am quite comfortable with their overall product, but JB is correct on this issue. They in fact do lie and did so on our cruise to the Baltics, insisting that If you used anything other than their tours you would have to obtain a Russian visa. That was untrue when I sailed as it is today. A lie is when you purposefully state something that is untrue especially when you know that is the case. To further that issue Princess then told us that all ships tours would have to clear immigration before anyone doing a "private" tour could leave. That was also untrue as our tour company had advised us and we walked out with the first group. All the Russians cared about was the fact that you were going on an organized tour with someone who owned a group booking Visa.

Feel compelled to jump in on the ongoing argument regarding Princess and SPB. As an elite on princess I am quite comfortable with their overall product, but JB is correct on this issue. They in fact do lie and did so on our cruise to the Baltics, insisting that If you used anything other than their tours you would have to obtain a Russian visa. That was untrue when I sailed as it is today. A lie is when you purposefully state something that is untrue especially when you know that is the case. To further that issue Princess then told us that all ships tours would have to clear immigration before anyone doing a "private" tour could leave. That was also untrue as our tour company had advised us and we walked out with the first group. All the Russians cared about was the fact that you were going on an organized tour with someone who owned a group booking Visa.

I 100% agree with this. I remember getting that false information and e-mailing Alla with whom we had booked a tour and being reassured by her that it was false. And our group of 10 walked off with the first wave off the ship.

But just to ram home a point...........

Princess is slightly different. They don't mess with crafty phraseology - they simply lie by saying that the only way to go ashore visa-free is by taking a Princess tour. Grossly untrue, and they know it !!

You do have to pre-book, because the tour ticket that the local tour operator e-mails to you (or the ship's tour ticket that's given to you aboard the ship) gets you through immigration without a visa.

You don't have to pay with your booking - the local operators trust you, you pay (USD or roubles or plastic) during the tour.

Note that you can only go ashore visa-free for the tour/s that you've booked. A tour ticket for day one won't get you through immigration on day 2.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=192

Thanks for this very specific clarification of the facts regarding visas for Russia. This subject comes up over and over as cruisers going to Russia for the first time make inquiries. Some years ago there was a back-and-forth on the Crystal board because a first time Crystal, first time Russia cruiser could not get a straight answer from Crystal customer service on whether she needed a visa to take private tours. It became clear that the phone agent was simply following instructions. That's yet one more example of the value of experienced posters like you on cruise critic -- someone else has already done the detective work.

We booked a private tour with TJ for both days in port, excellent! We booked a tour for just the four of us, but we could have joined a different group, up to 16 people per guide and van with driver. We met 2 other TJ groups on the canal tour, but did not see them anywhere else. At the long line for the Hermitage, our guide led us in at the pre-appointed time. There were long lines still waiting while we squeezed by.

You need to book private tours in advance and send them your passport information. You will go ashore with their paperwork (printed out at home) and your passport. Passport and paperwork control is in the port building. You pay your tour company at the end of your tour.

You are at a pier and can leave the ship anytime it is cleared by the authorities, no need to wait for ship's excursions to get off first.

I would like to repeat what was said before:

There are no spontaneous tour operators and no taxis waiting in the port which is far outside the city and far from public transportation. Even if you had your own visa, you would be stuck.

We will be arriving in St Petersburg Russia on the Regal Princess in May. I am reading that you need a Russian visa if you want to explore the city on your own. Does anyone know this to be a fact and how much of a hassle is it to get a visa? Thanks in advance for any insight! :hearteyes:

Take a tour with SPB tours or Alla tours and they will organise your tourist visa. Much cheaper excursions tha Princess

I would like to repeat what was said before:

There are no spontaneous tour operators and no taxis waiting in the port which is far outside the city and far from public transportation. Even if you had your own visa, you would be stuck.

I'm curious about how recent your experience is, as I've read other reports (and information for the port at St. Petersburg) which says things are more traveler friendly than you are suggesting, including an info point that will help tourists and, if no taxis are available, will arrange for one.

Also, the newer port is not in the same desolate cargo port where large cruise ships used to be relegated....

July 2016

Nobody was waiting outside the port building except out TJ van and the first busses arranged for ship's excursions. It is a new cruise port of horse shoe shape, not a container and freight port. 3 cruise ships were in port, looked like each had a separate building on each of the three pier sides. The passengers of the other ships did not come through our building.

I saw shops with tourist trinkets and no info point, but I didn't look for one. If it is on the landside of passport control, you would have to have a visa since the immigration official won't let you through without it or without your excursion voucher/proof.