Holland America dropping Knitting/Crafting Groups

Becabica

I always take my stitching with me on cruises! Our next cruise is the 49-day Atlantic Adventurer on the Veendam, next month. Someone has already proposed a sit 'n stitch for the 2nd full day onboard (the 1st is our Meet & Greet, and there are well over 100 on our roll call), in the Crow's Nest at 10. I believe she wrote that it couldn't be published in the Navigator. It's a shame!

why are you opening an old would?? There was recently a knitting group that did a British Isles cruise on the Zuiderdam and they managed very well themselves. There is blog about it on "inside-the-cabin", check it out.

I am sorry I did not realize that there was a time limit on joining the conversation. I don't visit this board often and saw the title of the message. I am aware of the Craft Cruises and since someone posted a question about crafting on VoV cruise I thought I would try to give some helpful information.

I shall pack away my password and not inflict pain on anyone wounds.

I am sorry I did not realize that there was a time limit on joining the conversation. I don't visit this board often and saw the title of the message. I am aware of the Craft Cruises and since someone posted a question about crafting on VoV cruise I thought I would try to give some helpful information.

Don't even give it a second thought. Nor pack up your password. Your post was helpful and that is what these boards are about :D

All my roll calls have always had a group. We organize it on the roll call and they meet on board. It has worked well :D

We are starting to talk about a knitting-crocheting group on the Voyage of the Vikings roll call. I wanted to learn how to crochet (some slipper-socks and coat hangers) and they said "bring your supplies" and someone will probably be there to help.

Since this is new craft for me, what "supplies" should I bring to try at least those two items ( coat hangers and slipper socks)? Thanks so much.

Why wouldn't you just ask the person who told you to bring your supplies, 'what supplies will I need?'.

All my roll calls have always had a group. We organize it on the roll call and they meet on board. It has worked well :D

That is exactly what I was trying to suggest. There are always someone or a group available, My DW learned a new procedure in crocheting while on cruise around New Zealand. It was not advertised anywhere, the lady was just there to help and teach.

This is not an "old wound". It was started in March, 2017. Don't pack away your password. Your thoughts are welcome here.

So maybe the crafters should take their crafts and hang out for a couple of hours a day in the comfy chairs in front of Guest Services, chatting, having coffee, enjoying craft time together. I'll bet that would bring attention to the issue and someone in charge may end up making a suggestion that the group meet elsewhere, rather than taking up valuable real estate. ;p It's worth a try!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

So maybe the crafters should take their crafts and hang out for a couple of hours a day in the comfy chairs in front of Guest Services, chatting, having coffee, enjoying craft time together. I'll bet that would bring attention to the issue and someone in charge may end up making a suggestion that the group meet elsewhere, rather than taking up valuable real estate. ;p It's worth a try!

Troublemaker! ;);p

Love it !!!!!

I like that idea:D

What a good idea. ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is happening in America today concerning our political identities. Most liberals live in the same neighborhoods as other liberals, and conservatives live with people who are also conservative. In many cases, liberals do not even talk with a single conservative (in person) during a typical week.

LOL ....I have both liberal and conservative friends and family.

ChinaShrek, How Boring!

You are certainly NOT describing where I live now, have lived in recent memory nor where I worked during my career. How boring your neighborhood must be. Now, for my very best, closest friends we do general fall in the same area of the spectrum - NOT far-left and NOT far-right.

Now that's an idea I could get behind! [emoji847]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My last cruise was 2 or 3 years ago- Iceland, the Shetlands on the Prisendam. HAL refused to put a craft group announcement in the daily so I just invited anyone I saw knitting to meet on sea days, and the word spread person to person. Lots of yarn came home with me that trip. And yes, you can get Lopi here, but the prices in Knitting Guild stores are much cheaper than anyplace here in the states, and have lots more colors. They have Lopi because that is what they spin from their breed of sheep.

Yarn is the best souvenir! I bought yarn at two places on the Round-the-Horn South America cruise and two places (Skagway & Ketchikan) on the 7-day Inside Passage cruise last year. (No, I didn't buy qiviut. I intended to, but my wallet just wasn't up to it! But I did buy locally spun and/or dyed yarn.)

I do not knit, sew, crochet, etc...but love seeing cruisers having a good time (it improved the atmosphere for all aboard). We recently returned from the annual Voyage of the Vikings cruise where we noticed a group of about 2 dozen (lades plus 1 man) who would hang out in a corner of the Crows Nest...where they knitted and chatted. They were obviously a happy group which an become infectious. Yet, this group was never mentioned in the daily programs and apparently thrived on word of mouth. HAL did nothing for this group..which was kind of sad. The Vets group (for which I am eligible) was mentioned in the daily programs and were provided coffee/tea, But the larger knitting group labored on in obscurity and had to get their own coffee/tea by hiking down a deck....and across the pool to the Lido.

Finally, about we were more 4 weeks into our cruise, the Cruise Director subtly mentioned the "Knit Group" during one of his morning announcements. We happened to be sitting in the Crow's Nest (at the time) and had to smile when there was applause from the knit group...sitting nearby. Finally, after having one of the larger spontaneous groups on the ship.....these friendly folks got mentioned (we wondered if the CD would lose his job for daring to mention this group).

When one looks at the daily schedule there is always prominent mention of revenue producing activities...even if they are routinely attended by only a few cruisers. But non-revenue producing activities (with very few exceptions) seem to no longer be a priority for management. It is no longer about promoting the wants of cruisers...but rather about promoting only activities and events that generate onboard revenue.

Hank