>>Celebrity Edge<< - Exterior Views

eroller

I think the main pool will be quite impressive. It will be tied as the largest pool at sea with the TUI Mein Schiff's. Just another similarity between the two classes of ships. I'm sure it's no coincidence that the main pool on both classes of ships is 25m long. I've read on Mein Schiff there is a buffer midway in the pool that can be hydraulically raised when the ship is rocking too much. This prevents the water from splashing too much and spilling onto the deck. One reason you don't see really large pools on ships is because of momentum. Too much mass of water in even slightly rough seas creates too much momentum and can't be controlled. Having deep pocket wells in the tops of the pools where water can escape helps, but at 25m long another buffer is needed to prevent momentum. I'm sure EDGE will have the same buffer technology in the pool as the TUI ships do. Here are a couple pics of the main pool on TUI to give you a perspective of how long 25m (75 ft) is.

33061789770_e2cf046297_b.jpg

33061789510_c68202c849_b.jpg

We are looking at the deck plans and trying to determine what is the excess space adjacent to the S1 (Sky Suite) Aft . Is the space on the corner accessible or ship structure ? On side note, wonder if the S1 will have the same pole situation as exists on the Solstice Class.

So its Back to the Future!

A century ago, all liners like the Titanic, Berengaria, Ile De France, Vaterland, Olympic, Mauretania etc had a straight bow!

My bigger concern is the apparent lack of loungers and shade at the main pool. The renderings show very few loungers. The S class ships have rows of loungers six deep on port and starboard in the shade under the deck above, which has hundreds of more loungers on it in the sun. From what I can see, lounger space is sacrificed on the starboard side to the for fee cabanas, and on the port side the only shelter is the narrow jogging path. There are also no loungers shown on the narrow jogging path. So there have to be far fewer loungers than on S class, for a ship of similar size.

You would think this would be a big consideration in designing the Resort deck for ships designed to sail in warm climates??

Edited by Seapoint

I love the pale coloring of the staterooms. :) That's what attracted us to the Solstice class...especially the Equinox. Loved the openness of the stateroom with the white pleather couches. And then Celebrity changed the color to red/rust on the other Solstice class ships. :(

Agree on the basketball court -- seems like an underutilized space on the ships I've sailed. Also loved the look of those loungers on the shelf -- but when will you or I ever see them with only 3 pax? Celebrity had better get ready for chair-hog wars over them!

Those loungers would be hard to save. Everything would get wet! :cool:

The basketball court is a good attraction for traveling with kids. So I would be surprised that it would be omitted.

I think the balcony concept looks fantastic.

However, the ship does lack a real promenade deck, which is a huge shame. The moving carpet doesnt quite make up for it.

Even worse, they claim the pool deck is reversed to bring you to the sea...but an entire side is reserved for fee-required cabanas. Ludicrous.

MSC has it right with their upcoming concept which brings the public spaces down to an open level 5.

My bigger concern is the apparent lack of loungers and shade at the main pool. The renderings show very few loungers. The S class ships have rows of loungers six deep on port and starboard in the shade under the deck above, which has hundreds of more loungers on it in the sun. From what I can see, lounger space is sacrificed on the starboard side to the for fee cabanas, and on the port side the only shelter is the narrow jogging path. There are also no loungers shown on the narrow jogging path. So there have to be far fewer loungers than on S class, for a ship of similar size.

That's one of the first things I noticed as well. It is a very large pool deck area, but not enough loungers, at least in the renderings, which I think is quite common for new ship renderings. Gives the appearance of lots of space (as well as not many people in the pool or loungers....yeah, right), obviously to make it look more attractive. I'm betting that just about every square inch will be filled with loungers come Dec 2018. And with no more top forward deck (Solstice deck) for additional loungers except for the suites-only Retreat, the pool deck is going to be THE place to lounge. But since the ship is going to be 12% suites, hopefully they'll ALL stay in the Retreat!

Thx.

Great looking new ship- i also reminds me of the Millenium Class a bit! The orange colored Magic Carpet- well each and every taste is different- so some may like it some not so much. I guess they choose the color to match the lifeboat covering!

The bow is great and really " back to the future" - I agree- as for the funnel we have to wait and see how that works out!

I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the interior designs are on the cutting edge of today's trends. These designers know what they're doing. If you ask me, the interiors are stunning. They're classy, but modern. And for reference, I'm an interior design student.

PS: Where do you see plexiglass?

I too also think that the interior designs are really cool, different and cutting edge. Even some of things around the pool deck including the jacuzzis in a martini glass shape is very classy and out of the box. Definitely modern.

This may have nothing to do with interior design, but looking at the Edge video, I appreciate that Celebrity was very deliberate in showing all kinds of different people and ages which is very nice to see. I know a video alone does not guarantee the clientele you get, but in this "Modern" age, I give them an A.

I think the balcony concept looks fantastic.

However, the ship does lack a real promenade deck, which is a huge shame. The moving carpet doesnt quite make up for it.

Even worse, they claim the pool deck is reversed to bring you to the sea...but an entire side is reserved for fee-required cabanas. Ludicrous.

MSC has it right with their upcoming concept which brings the public spaces down to an open level 5.

No current Celebrity ship has a promenade deck. Recent Princess designs also lack it. If that's important, HAL and Cunard still have them on their latest ships.

The traditional promenade deck on K-Dam is history. I'm talking about the type that is nice and wide, great for strolling as well as lounging on a deck chair. What K-Dam has now is no better than the Solstice Class. Basically a narrow walkway running behind the lifeboats with a couple small patches that are a bit wider and unobstructed. It's the same style deck as the Royal Princess Class and the MSC Fantasia Class.

New mega ships with great promenade decks are the Carnival Dream Class, NCL's Breakaway Class, Disney's Dream Class, and the new MSC SEASIDE.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A little EDGE related news I just read today. Seatrade Insider is reporting that Royal Caribbean and Port Everglades have negotiated a memorandum of understanding for the customized renovation of terminal 25, which is where EDGE will sail from. Completion is scheduled prior to EDGE's first cruise.

Hopefully this will be in conjunction with the new personalized and interactive technology platform Royal Caribbean is currently developing. It should be something similar to recently announced programs from Carnival Corporation (Ocean Medallion) and MSC (MSC For Me). These are wearable devices that have BlueTooth, GPS, and RFID technology to help personalize your experience from check-in, opening your cabin door, to ordering a drink.

What do people think of the balconies? At first I thought they were cool, now I'm thinking they're more like ocean view suites with a large window that opens.

They have been really well received in River Ships. In the Caribbean, a regular balcony may be better -- but when the weather is rainy or cool, this design still lets you use your whole cabin and enjoy the extremely wide view.

They have been really well received in River Ships. In the Caribbean, a regular balcony may be better -- but when the weather is rainy or cool, this design still lets you use your whole cabin and enjoy the extremely wide view.

Yeah, I think it would be great for somewhere like Alaska or Norway. I'm debating moving to an SV for the Caribbean.

I think even in the Caribbean it will be great. Remember you can close your glass French doors and leave the balcony window lowered. Essentially that makes it the same as a standard balcony cabin now. Best of both worlds is how I see it.

What do people think of the balconies? At first I thought they were cool, now I'm thinking they're more like ocean view suites with a large window that opens.

Yes, that is exactly how I see them

On the M class and S class there are balconies that are prominent by a couple of foot, which allows you to sunbathe. There is a reason why people go for larger balconies, and the ones with slightly larger balcnies at the same price get snapped up quickly - and this relates directly to it

I get that people enjoy something new, but to me this is like an Ocean View room with a large window that opens - I look forward to being proven wrong, but that is certainly how it looks to me

I think even in the Caribbean it will be great. Remember you can close your glass French doors and leave the balcony window lowered. Essentially that makes it the same as a standard balcony cabin now. Best of both worlds is how I see it.

I agree with you. I think its great to have all of the options available: french doors closed + window open, french doors open + window open, french doors open + window closed. Great concept, IMHO. As someone who loves having fresh air, I could see myself having both the french doors and window open at all times.

But it won't feel like the "glued on" balconies we are used to -- you won't feel like you are truly outside the cabin. Edge will be more like the R-ships (Azamara Quest etc.) where the balconies are still within the frame of the ship. Maybe those at the back will get lots of sun -- I haven't seen any drawings of what that may look like. Certainly deck 12 will continue the Celebrity tradition of deep shade.

Yeah, I think it would be great for somewhere like Alaska or Norway. I'm debating moving to an SV for the Caribbean.

We initially thought the infinite balcony was perfect but after looking at the size of the SVs, we changed our room. We are balcony lovers and like to enjoy the outside. Since there are no SV's on deck 6, we booked on deck 7. Any speculation on what might be going aft on deck 6?

Edited by Wanderlost
text

But it won't feel like the "glued on" balconies we are used to -- you won't feel like you are truly outside the cabin. Edge will be more like the R-ships (Azamara Quest etc.) where the balconies are still within the frame of the ship. Maybe those at the back will get lots of sun -- I haven't seen any drawings of what that may look like. Certainly deck 12 will continue the Celebrity tradition of deep shade.

Yeah, I guess I'm not really bothered by them being built in to the superstructure. All personal preference.

I love the idea of being able to make the entire cabin "open-air," so I like the concept.

I also think it's a great concept, and I don't understand why people think they will get less sun. On a standard side facing balcony, which are the vast majority of balconies on any ship, it doesn't matter if the balcony is tacked on or built into the superstructure, you get the same amount of sun. There are still bulkheads above, below, and on each side of you. Your far bigger concern if sun is such a priority is not being directly under the pool deck overhang.

When that full window wall is opened and the French doors closed, I think it will feel very much like you're outside and in a regular balcony. In fact even better than ships like VOYAGER OF THE SEAS and sheltered balconies on QM2 and some Carnival ships. On those ships you're surrounded by steel and no glass and yet you still feel like you're outside. On EDGE when the window wall is lowered, the rail will be glass making it feel much more open, just like a regular balcony.

I also think it's a great concept, and I don't understand why people think they will get less sun. On a standard side facing balcony, which are the vast majority of balconies on any ship, it doesn't matter if the balcony is tacked on or built into the superstructure, you get the same amount of sun. There are still bulkheads above, below, and on each side of you. Your far bigger concern if sun is such a priority is not being directly under the pool deck overhang.

When that full window wall is opened and the French doors closed, I think it will feel very much like you're outside and in a regular balcony. In fact even better than ships like VOYAGER OF THE SEAS and sheltered balconies on QM2 and some Carnival ships. On those ships you're surrounded by steel and no glass and yet you still feel like you're outside. On EDGE when the window wall is lowered, the rail will be glass making it feel much more open, just like a regular balcony.

A very small regular balcony, they're only 42 sq ft vs 54 on the S Class.

We avoid the cut from the hull balconies like the plague so I think we'll have to wait for the reports on these.