Being "Turned Away" without earlier MTD Reservations?

Taking just our second RCI cruise (but not second cruise) on Anthem next month. We've "signed up" for MTD.

I was just reading in another thread about making reservations for MTD, and someone posted that they had reservations for l7:30 each night, and that people without earlier( ..7ish) reservations were being turned away and asked to come back to the DR at 9:15. Is that a "regular" occurance, especially for dining times around 7-7:30? Our preference is to not make reservations, but try and to go maybe between 7-8pm. But I'm curious about the possibility of getting turned away. We did an Oasis cruise a few years ago, had MTD and no issue going at the time we wanted....curious if things have changed?

Taking just our second RCI cruise (but not second cruise) on Anthem next month. We've "signed up" for MTD.

I was just reading in another thread about making reservations for MTD, and someone posted that they had reservations for l7:30 each night, and that people without earlier( ..7ish) reservations were being turned away and asked to come back to the DR at 9:15. Is that a "regular" occurance, especially for dining times around 7-7:30? Our preference is to not make reservations, but try and to go maybe between 7-8pm. But I'm curious about the possibility of getting turned away. We did an Oasis cruise a few years ago, had MTD and no issue going at the time we wanted....curious if things have changed?

We just sailed Anthem and had MTD and decided not to make reservations for the first time. We only went to the MDR three times, all of them around 5:30-6pm. The non-reservation line wasn't too bad at that time and we were always seated within 10 minutes of getting in line. Both the reservation and non-reservation line was very long when we came out of dinner, almost back as far as the elevator lobby.

we just sailed anthem and had mtd and decided not to make reservations for the first time. We only went to the mdr three times, all of them around 5:30-6pm. The non-reservation line wasn't too bad at that time and we were always seated within 10 minutes of getting in line. Both the reservation and non-reservation line was very long when we came out of dinner, almost back as far as the elevator lobby.

eeekk!!!

Had a similar experience on the the Jewel TA last November. We usually wanted to eat around 6:30. We were told we could not be seated for a few hours and ate in the WJ. This was the first time I had experienced this with MTD.

We had MTD on Navigator in early February so we'd have the flexibility of showing up whenever we wanted. When we went at 7:45 we were told to come back at 8:45, which was 30 minutes later than the second seating which we'd declined for MTD. After that we used WJ and Specialty restaurants except for one night.

• 1 month later...

wow people really know when they want to eat. i just signed up for late nov. cruise and MTD is all booked up. not that personally i even knew when i would want but not to have the option stinks

some other cruiselines hold back X percent of reservations for on board booking. is that the same on anthem? can you make them while in the terminal waiting to board with the app? if not, where on board is the best place to make them without waiting in a line?

I would book some times on cruise planner say eg 7.30 pm for the first few nights and see how it goes.

Even with booked times you can wait 15 minutes and they​ go through the process of checking their sheets for free tables when it is your turn at the desk.

I would book some times on cruise planner say eg 7.30 pm for the first few nights and see how it goes.

Even with booked times you can wait 15 minutes and they​ go through the process of checking their sheets for free tables when it is your turn at the desk.

We just got off the Anthem Saturday and MTD worked out for us as hoped for. We typically went between 7-8pm and waited no more than 10 minutes. One evening they moved us from the non-reservation line to the reservation line for some reason. All in all, not bad, MTD worked well for us without reservations and no dreaded, come back at 9 direction.

We just got off the Anthem Saturday and MTD worked out for us as hoped for. We typically went between 7-8pm and waited no more than 10 minutes. One evening they moved us from the non-reservation line to the reservation line for some reason. All in all, not bad, MTD worked well for us without reservations and no dreaded, come back at 9 direction.

Thats good.Often when you get in there are plenty of empty tables that just need clearing up.

Just off the Anthem with MTD reservations at 6:45 each night so we could enjoy some music and the late show. Never waited more than 5" for table. On formal night we were leaving the dining room around 8:15 and the lines were awful, not sure why.

can you make them while in the terminal waiting to board with the app?

Maybe, if you can get to a window facing the ship and you can connect to the ship's WiFi - that's the only way the iQ app will work.

EVERYONE wants to eat around 7:30 or so...it's the most POPULAR dining time. If you can go a bit before, or more than a bit later, there should be no wait. Once on the ship, you can make reservations if you want to.

My idea of my time dining is dining at a time I choose , and this was how it was sold to me

each day will be different and I dont have a crystal ball to know what I will be doing each day so ive no intention of pre booking a dinner slot . When I booked I had to pre pay our gratuities to get My time dining so if I cant get a dining time within a reasonable time of us arriving at the dining room (10-15 minutes) I will not be a happy cruiser .

My idea of my time dining is dining at a time I choose , and this was how it was sold to me

each day will be different and I dont have a crystal ball to know what I will be doing each day so ive no intention of pre booking a dinner slot . When I booked I had to pre pay our gratuities to get My time dining so if I cant get a dining time within a reasonable time of us arriving at the dining room (10-15 minutes) I will not be a happy cruiser .

I agree that is the format of each cruise lines MTD, or Freedom dining on P&O etc so you would be best to remind them that and maybe tell them of the ships survey and what your review will be.

If you have not cruised yet, you can cancel prepaid gratuities. RC no longer requires prepaid gratuities for My Time Dining.

If you have not cruised yet, you can cancel prepaid gratuities. RC no longer requires prepaid gratuities for My Time Dining.

They insisted in the UK but i negotiated with my TA and they paid it instead of the obc offer and i still got my Balcony discount.

They insisted in the UK but i negotiated with my TA and they paid it instead of the obc offer and i still got my Balcony discount.

I always pre pay the tips because i want MTD and it is a safeguard to me if they tried to turn us away although i always pre book 8.30pm on the CP about 3 months before our cruise and never had a problem for our table for 2.

EVERYONE wants to eat around 7:30 or so...it's the most POPULAR dining time. If you can go a bit before, or more than a bit later, there should be no wait. Once on the ship, you can make reservations if you want to.

this fascinates me.. is it this way on land too. do people eat lunch at different times than me? i cannot imagine eating at a typical 1130 to 1230 slot then waiting until 730. my ribs would begin showing :)

plus if you stuff your face and are one to go to bed early by 10, thats just too much food.

^ paying the tips and reservations with MTD have nothing to do with each other. It may make you feel good, but there's no relation.

We have always used MTD and always told you could only book it if you prepaid your tips and that was the case on 23 October 2016 when i booked my June cruise.

We have never had a problem and our cruises are never longer than 7 nights so prepaying tips not a problem.

Just off the Anthem with MTD reservations at 6:45 each night so we could enjoy some music and the late show. Never waited more than 5" for table. On formal night we were leaving the dining room around 8:15 and the lines were awful, not sure why.

Never waited more than 5" (seconds) for a table - WOW that's some fast service! ;p

We have always used MTD and always told you could only book it if you prepaid your tips and that was the case on 23 October 2016 when i booked my June cruise.

We have never had a problem and our cruises are never longer than 7 nights so prepaying tips not a problem.

We just sailed Liberty last week, and I booked all our MTD reservations months in advance without prepaid gratuities.