Food on European Cruises

pebbles1102

I have an oddball question, I have a child that will only eat meat from animals that have been treated humanely. The way animals are farmed in the states he thinks is cruel and only wants meat from free range humanly processed animals.

Does anyone know if all the meat on European cruises would be from sources like in the states, or would they be from places in Europe where I believe the farming practices are a little more humane?

Thanks in advance

I think you can request kosher or halal meat way in advance. Those slaughtering practices have humane rules in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Halal "humane"!! I think not.

As said above, the meat will likely be taken on locally. However I doubt you will be able to find out what kind of farm it came from. Often meat in Europe is not free range, same as the US.

My expectation would be the meat would come from the United States, fresh fruit and veg from local European suppliers.

I know when I was on the Epic in the med a couple of years back they ran out of Lobster and it was off the menu for a few days until a shipment arrived from the US.From speaking the the F&B manager, they told me they had investigated local suppliers to fill the gap, but were not happy with the quality.

My expectation would be the meat would come from the United States, fresh fruit and veg from local European suppliers.

I know when I was on the Epic in the med a couple of years back they ran out of Lobster and it was off the menu for a few days until a shipment arrived from the US.From speaking the the F&B manager, they told me they had investigated local suppliers to fill the gap, but were not happy with the quality.

Was the quality from local suppliers too good [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if you want to investigate this it would be best to do pre-cruise; I think that if you wait till on board you'll run into people a. Not knowing and b. Unable to understand the question due to language barriers... if I would venture a guess, I wouldn't expect any of the meat on the ship to be free-range, regardless of where it is sourced from. If this is something your child is passionate about, there are plenty of vegetarian options on the ship.

Just my 2 cents... I was a vegetarian for a long time due to believing farming was in humane, but I went full vegetarian because I couldn't find any way to consider a slaughterhouse humane either... not quite sure how you reconcile killing animals for food as long as their life didn't suck too bad before you killed them...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I seem to recall Chengkp75 (a chief engineer of many years standing) saying somewhere on CC that all meat (and seafood) for US lines came in from the US frozen in containers (for mainstream lines anyway). Some of the high-end lines source meat locally, in fact one or two do excursions with the chef to the local market. On Azamara recently we had locally sourced kangaroo (beautifully cooked) and crocodile (ruined by the recipe and the cooking).

From what I heard once when we were departing Civitavecchia and some containers got held up in Livorno on the way from the US, I understand that all meat and seafood is shipped in refrigerated containers from the US. The beef in Europe is not as tender as from the US because of the much lower hormone use and big US-style steaks sourced in Europe would not be as easy to eat unless cooked differently. The ability to use standard cooking methods for meat and seafood really does need consistent processes and so a controlled sourcing is probably essential.

I think you may have some misconceptions about the quality of food in Europe. There's plenty of inhumanely produced meat here, too. And at the price point that NCL and other mass-market cruise lines operate at, that's what you'll be eating, no matter where they source the meat. The OP's son will need to go vegetarian on board, at least until they grow out of this idealistic phase and become resigned and complacent like most of us… :rolleyes:

I agree with the others above: We have always been told that NCL's meat and fish comes frozen from the US, even for European cruises.

I think you may have some misconceptions about the quality of food in Europe. There's plenty of inhumanely produced meat here, too. And at the price point that NCL and other mass-market cruise lines operate at, that's what you'll be eating, no matter where they source the meat. The OP's son will need to go vegetarian on board, at least until they grow out of this idealistic phase and become resigned and complacent like most of us… :rolleyes:

I agree with the others above: We have always been told that NCL's meat and fish comes frozen from the US, even for European cruises.

"Resigned and Complacent". Sounds like a perfect tag line. I might start using it.

To echo the previous poster, I was on the Jade during the European winter sailing out of Barcelona - the Hotel director told us all the food was packed in containers in Florida and shipped in the big containers over seas...There may be some exceptions but I bet not many...

It's probably too expensive to buy from EU.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Meat in general is very expensive in the eu

One main reason is they just don't have the land to graze the animals on

Now Argentina and the USA among others have plenty of farmland thus are big meat eater countries

Halal "humane"!! I think not.

As said above, the meat will likely be taken on locally. However I doubt you will be able to find out what kind of farm it came from. Often meat in Europe is not free range, same as the US.

And kosher is more humane?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app