Edge : confirms the many classes on Celebrity

Lolotte

With each new concept, more of the ship is closed off to the non-suite guests. I prefer a ship that accepts all guests into all venues. If I want to sail in a suite, it would be for extra space. I don't need a separate pool, dining room, or lounge. With the new Edge class ship that restricts the non-suite guests, it creates a class system. Nobody wants to feel like they are 2nd class. Not rushing to book on the Edge.

My DH always refused to sail on Cunard because of the class system.

I told him about Luminae and Michael's Club. We just did a b2b. He wasn't even aware of these venues.

What I am trying to say, is that if the venues for non-suite pax are enjoyable, nobody will miss what they don't even see.

If, however, the non-suite venues suffer (as some of you suggest), that will be a different story.

If I may boast (!), we usually book insides. Not a word has been said about the Edge inside cabins. Will they, too, be larger? smaller? Who knows?

Appears to be the trend in the cruise lines, so not sure where you will go.

I completely agree Don. I've seen some vitriol directed to Celebrity on social media from people opposed to the retreat. The thing is, Celebrity and other lines are only responding to what their customers want. And let's be honest, they'd be crazy and incompetent if they failed to do this. Directing disapproval at the cruise line is simply, dumb.

Some people seem to be almost apologetic when stating they have booked suites. I don't get that. The new iconic suites look fantastic. I'd love to cruise in one of them, I really would. But I just cannot justify the cost because the cost being asked buys an awful lot of other quality vacations. But I'm happy for those lucky enough to enjoy such fabulous accommodation.

With the huge amount of interest there is on here in suite class I suspect that later E class ships may have even more suites onboard. I ran a few searches on the UK site (The fishy site doesn't feature Edge yet) and they are selling very well indeed. I know a lot of this will be down to the initial excitement of a new ship, but I can see Celebrity continuing to focus on developing their suite class experience.

I completely agree Don. I've seen some vitriol directed to Celebrity on social media from people opposed to the retreat. The thing is, Celebrity and other lines are only responding to what their customers want. And let's be honest, they'd be crazy and incompetent if they failed to do this. Directing disapproval at the cruise line is simply, dumb.

Some people seem to be almost apologetic when stating they have booked suites. I don't get that. The new iconic suites look fantastic. I'd love to cruise in one of them, I really would. But I just cannot justify the cost because the cost being asked buys an awful lot of other quality vacations. But I'm happy for those lucky enough to enjoy such fabulous accommodation.

With the huge amount of interest there is on here in suite class I suspect that later E class ships may have even more suites onboard. I ran a few searches on the UK site (The fishy site doesn't feature Edge yet) and they are selling very well indeed. I know a lot of this will be down to the initial excitement of a new ship, but I can see Celebrity continuing to focus on developing their suite class experience.

And not only all this, it's not like it was a surprise, many on this board predicted it...

And not only all this, it's not like it was a surprise, many on this board predicted it...

The suite only area and Caribbean deployment area were predictable. The Retreat makes a lot of sense. An area merging what is effectively Luminae and MC where you can enjoy pre and post dinner drinks etc. I did think Edge would be doing longer cruises though now that 14 night trips have been scrapped in 2019. But with hindsight I suppose the 7 nighters make more commercial sense.

And it's now safe to state that the "Big ship amenities, small ship itineraries", was indeed BS. But we knew that already!!!

The quality food and amenities in 'steerage' has gone down significantly in the last couple of years. I can only assume that it hasn't in the upper classes as the suite folks constantly say it's as good as it's always been. I couldn't care less about more space or a butler or afternoon tea, or even special 'off limits' places to drink. I do care about forcing folks to pay extra to get good meals.

The suite only area and Caribbean deployment area were predictable. The Retreat makes a lot of sense. An area merging what is effectively Luminae and MC where you can enjoy pre and post dinner drinks etc. I did think Edge would be doing longer cruises though now that 14 night trips have been scrapped in 2019. But with hindsight I suppose the 7 nighters make more commercial sense.

And it's now safe to state that the "Big ship amenities, small ship itineraries", was indeed BS. But we knew that already!!!

I'm wondering if that line will in future promotions refer to the Magic Carpet and the ship going to more tender ports than it would have without it. That's the only thing I can think of coming out of the original press release.

I'm wondering if that line will in future promotions refer to the Magic Carpet and the ship going to more tender ports than it would have without it. That's the only thing I can think of coming out of the original press release.

I guess it has the potential, but when I think of small ships doing small ship itineraries I tend to think of ship being able to dock at ports the the large Celebrity ships can't get too.

Personally I'd love to see Celebrity increase the number of ports they visit. So I live in hope.

I agree.

We would rather spend more time at sea than in a higher category and more expensive staterooms.

We live on a Celebrity ship for four months of the year. In a suite or higher "class" cabin we would have to give up three months of our oceanfront condo in exchange for a more expensive bed.

THAT'S something to strive for. It's all about what we value, and what we are willing to spend. You should get the perks you are paying for. John

If anyone is wrong, it is you. Those penthouse cabins are PRIVATE areas, not public areas. Only the occupant of that room can use it, while everyone else on board can use all public areas. If they can afford their luxury private suite stateroom, good for them. They deserve it for being successful in life. But, on this new ship, a large portion of several decks are reserved only for suite guests. These are areas where the majority of passengers are not allowed to enjoy. Most will be banned from ever entering those areas, clearly because they aren't rich enough.

This is indeed a case of class system, and not a case of irrational envy. More and more area is being taken away from the majority and given to the rich.

I don't think they are "giving anything away to the rich". Those who can afford it pay quite a lot more than we pay for a balcony cabin. But I look at it this way, the people who pay tens of thousands for their cruise offset the cost for the rest of us who choose not to. I remember my dad telling me a few years back when we all went on the Silhouette together that he paid the same for that cabin that he paid for their cruise on Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas in the early 1990's. We took our first cruise in 2011 and just paid almost the same for our upcoming cruise this year. Just another way to think of this.

Over the course of the last 25 years I have had the privilege to enjoy many cruises in every category from "steerage" to "first class". I can assure you that I cherish the memories of every one of those cruises regardless of class. Now that I have finally retired after 46 years in the workplace, I find myself in a financial position where I can enjoy the suite life. I do this not to deminish anyone's cruise experience in any way, but rather to enhance my own.

If anyone is wrong, it is you. Those penthouse cabins are PRIVATE areas, not public areas. Only the occupant of that room can use it, while everyone else on board can use all public areas. If they can afford their luxury private suite stateroom, good for them. They deserve it for being successful in life. But, on this new ship, a large portion of several decks are reserved only for suite guests. These are areas where the majority of passengers are not allowed to enjoy. Most will be banned from ever entering those areas, clearly because they aren't rich enough.

This is indeed a case of class system, and not a case of irrational envy. More and more area is being taken away from the majority and given to the rich.

Well, I suppose you are going to insist on looking at this as a class system. Actually, very little space is set aside exclusively for suite passengers. And it would appear to be centrally located to an upper out of the way deck where you are unlikely to run into it. It's really no different from the spa. That is a space set aside exclusively for the use of those willing to pay for it's services. Are you annoyed by that as well?

The quality food and amenities in 'steerage' has gone down significantly in the last couple of years. I can only assume that it hasn't in the upper classes as the suite folks constantly say it's as good as it's always been. I couldn't care less about more space or a butler or afternoon tea, or even special 'off limits' places to drink. I do care about forcing folks to pay extra to get good meals.

When you went to a restaurant 5 years ago for a high quality meal and compare that to the cost you pay for the same meal at the same restaurant today, do you not expect the price to have increased? I certainly would expect it to have increased, by quite a bit actually.

Agree with just about everything you said. We are doing a suite on our cruise in Sept on the Equinox, it is a surprise for the wife as we usually start off with insides. Its a special anniversary present. Just want to try Luminae and Michaels club once. Our choice has nothing to do with money as many on this board know that I was blessed with a life changing win in Las Vegas. We just choose to do insides or maybe Aqua since we are rarely in our room. I am not jealous of anyone who does nothing but suites, good for them.

What a great treat for your wife and you....Congratulations!

Everything can be considered to be a class system, but so what? You live in a comfortable home, someone else lives in a nicer neighborhood and also in a larger home. You fly coach, someone else flies first class. You booked a veranda stateroom, someone else booked Aqua class stateroom. You go to subway for lunch, someone else goes to a nice sit down restaurant for lunch.

No one is taking away anything from the other person. Move on, or be bitter about life and live with an ulcer. Go on Carnival and cruise with the masses. Celebrity Cruises will remain a classier cruise line, pun intended.

Agree with just about everything you said. We are doing a suite on our cruise in Sept on the Equinox, it is a surprise for the wife as we usually start off with insides. Its a special anniversary present. Just want to try Luminae and Michaels club once. Our choice has nothing to do with money as many on this board know that I was blessed with a life changing win in Las Vegas. We just choose to do insides or maybe Aqua since we are rarely in our room. I am not jealous of anyone who does nothing but suites, good for them.

Hah! After all these years I thought it was a lottery win, didn't realize it was Vegas. Enjoy your suite, I'm sure your wife will love it.

Everything can be considered to be a class system, but so what? You live in a comfortable home, someone else lives in a nicer neighborhood and also in a larger home. You fly coach, someone else flies first class. You booked a veranda stateroom, someone else booked Aqua class stateroom. You go to subway for lunch, someone else goes to a nice sit down restaurant for lunch.

No one is taking away anything from the other person. Move on, or be bitter about life and live with an ulcer. Go on Carnival and cruise with the masses. Celebrity Cruises will remain a classier cruise line, pun intended.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Perfectly said.

When we started cruising on Celebrity in 2003 ( Century) everybody was entitled to the same food, activities service etc . Now contrary to the other lines Celebrity has many classes : different dining rooms ( Luminae, Blu). I do not object to the specialty restaurant which comes for a price but are available to all.... I object to the private pool, terrace, bar on Edge for the upper classes.... I do not feel that way on any other cruise line. We have done 20 cruises with Celebrity and I think it is time to move on...Celebrity is moving to attract the rich and famous... even on the luxury ships an indoor cabin will grant you all the advantages and will not make you feel as an outcast.

:rolleyes:

You get what you pay for. Are inside room passengers angry that they'll never get to step foot on a private balcony? Or will most of the world be mad they wont be able to set foot on a cruise ship at all? Have some perspective please. Sorry you feel like an outcast, maybe you should do some reflecting on why you feel that way.

I think that private areas as a reward for loyalty is a good idea as it is classless - yes the rich get there quicker if they can afford to cruise a few times a year but others can still catch up and eventually have these special treats.

I feel blessed just to have the opportunity to be on a ship with my DW and meeting wonderful fellow cruisers. Over the years I've been in Inside Cabins to Suites. The thing they have in common is that they are all on a ship. Haven't been in a Suite since becoming Zenith since I really don't need to pay for extra benefits like Michael's Club, Drink Package or Internet. Prefer Blu to Lumanae and haven't been in the pool in years. Obviously we all have different wants and needs and the ability to support them. All about personal choice. You can choose to be envious of others, or content with yourself. Whatever you choose be assured that in the current environment the ships will leave full and the bottom line will be healthy.

How thoroughly magnanimous of you - Hang on let me just put that bucket back down

I think it would help if the cruise lines allowed people to pay to go into the parts of the ships reserved for suite guests. My favourite bar was Michael's - this was taken away from non suite guests. I would pay a premium for drinks to go in there. Ditto Luminae. I have been fortunate enough to dine there, but it could also be offered as a pay to dine place when not full

People pay extra and get a great room, but this new trend is giving them an additional cruise experience as well

I am in Aqua next week and I get the Persian Garden included,but others can use it for a fee - this would be a far more appropriate, fair and popular way about things

I think that private areas as a reward for loyalty is a good idea as it is classless - yes the rich get there quicker if they can afford to cruise a few times a year but others can still catch up and eventually have these special treats.

How does that appeal to the demographic Celebrity are now targeting though? New, well healed younger cruisers. The new Retreat is purely driven by economics. Loyalty factors into that on a very limited basis.

Besides Elite members already have their own areas, just on a temporary basis (breakfast and happy hour). And Zenith are allowed in MC and the upcoming Retreat. :)

How thoroughly magnanimous of you - Hang on let me just put that bucket back down

I think it would help if the cruise lines allowed people to pay to go into the parts of the ships reserved for suite guests. My favourite bar was Michael's - this was taken away from non suite guests. I would pay a premium for drinks to go in there. Ditto Luminae. I have been fortunate enough to dine there, but it could also be offered as a pay to dine place when not full

People pay extra and get a great room, but this new trend is giving them an additional cruise experience as well

I am in Aqua next week and I get the Persian Garden included,but others can use it for a fee - this would be a far more appropriate, fair and popular way about things

So you chose aqua class which excludes steerage from dining in Blu. Yet complain about Luminae being off limits. Interesting... :D

In short you are supporting this "new trend" that you take objection too.

The issue is not that there are classes of service, but if in making the new classes, the original class changes enough that the cost benefit ratio changes and is is no longer worth it

Since Celebrity has started the trend towards different class I have noticed the MDR being more crowded and noisier, and some entertainment options and lounge options go away. All directly tied to the class of service related changes.

How does that appeal to the demographic Celebrity are now targeting though? New, well healed younger cruisers. The new Retreat is purely driven by economics. Loyalty factors into that on a very limited basis.

Besides Elite members already have their own areas, just on a temporary basis (breakfast and happy hour). And Zenith are allowed in MC and the upcoming Retreat. :)

What you must not realize about us is that most of us have a lot of disposable income. We don't own houses, have 2-3 cars. Instead we invest in experiences at a younger age. So while the suites are expensive, booking them 2 years in advance to throw 1000.00 a month at the total bill for the next 18-24 months is not a big deal.