Edge : confirms the many classes on Celebrity

Lolotte

Agree with just about everything you said. We are doing a suite on our cruise in Sept on the Equinox, it is a surprise for the wife as we usually start off with insides. Its a special anniversary present. Just want to try Luminae and Michaels club once. Our choice has nothing to do with money as many on this board know that I was blessed with a life changing win in Las Vegas. We just choose to do insides or maybe Aqua since we are rarely in our room. I am not jealous of anyone who does nothing but suites, good for them.

Hey when next time you go to Las Vegas please take me with you.:)

Hi Don, that is such an awesome gift:D....... I remember when that "moment" happened for you;).....I am sure the

suite will be lovely and she will be totally surprised:D

Hotels do the same,..whole concierge floors with pvt lounges, etc, private beach area with cabanas,....just saying!

Some major differences with land hotels. At a land hotel you can always go to a resturant off property, same with entertainment. In almost all cases the items added, do not result in subtractions, unlike a closed cruise ship environment where almost everything is limited, includine ares and total staff.

One thing that can't be taught is common sense.

Previously you were pointing out that Edge was smaller than an S class ship but now after Host Jazzbeau educated you I note that you've changed your wording. What you need to start understanding is that several posters, myself included understand your argument completely. It's very simple.

We just don't agree with it in regards to Edge. Your arguments apply to M and S class ships. But not a new design. If and it's an unrealistic if, you can obtain statistics from Celebrity showing square foot per non suite passenger in public areas open to all for both S and E class ships then you might have some foundation to your argument. Right now it's all just speculation on your part.

Anyway, I'm going to tell you a secret that a lot of the anti suite life brigade are yet to figure out. If you are patient, diligent and most important of all, flexible with your travel plans it is perfectly possible to snag a suite with all four perks included for less than other passengers will have paid for an AQ, CC or even some regular balconies. I know because we've done it twice now. The $ per day rate being less than many on here have said that they are happy to pay for verandah class state rooms. You won't do this with Edge for a very long time, but it can be achieved with M ad S class ships if you search hard enough. And I don't just mean TA and TP sailings I mean port intensive sailings. There are not many, but they are there and so suite class is accessible to most people sailing on Celebrity just look out for W category deals.

Yes, yes and yes...especially on European sailings...at least for me, that is! Only $300 total for an S1 aft on deck 10....from a C2, along with all the bells and whistles!:cool: However, the downside is that you really enjoy those suites!

So are you saying that there is no common sense or that it can't be taught? Just enlighten me on this from your perspective...

Gotta love the "rich and famous" in suites meme.

Never have found that, actually the exact opposite. The rich and famous can be found in two places: A true luxury cruise line, where they are in the mass, or one of the cheapest cabins on board (ever read :"The Millionaire Next Door"?)

Never have found that, actually the exact opposite. The rich and famous can be found in two places: A true luxury cruise line, where they are in the mass, or one of the cheapest cabins on board (ever read :"The Millionaire Next Door"?)

The Royal Family from Abu Dhabi was on the Constellation Chrismas/New Years Cruise. The were in Balcony staterooms. I never saw them. Understand that they had their own security. I understand from some staff that they were very nice.

President Bush the elder sailed Celebrity several times.

One thing that can't be taught is common sense.

Previously you were pointing out that Edge was smaller than an S class ship but now after Host Jazzbeau educated you I note that you've changed your wording.

Celebrity originally claimed that Edge was indeed smaller than S class, so I can't be faulted for repeating what they said. Now that the E class seems to be about the same size based on the latest information coming out of Celebrity, of course I will now say they are about the same size.

Don't see where common sense is lacking with these changing statistics that the cruise line has given out. I don't understand why you need to ridicule me for repeating what Celebrity has been telling everyone, both then and now. :rolleyes:

It's simple physics. If you carve out some space for a select group of people, something has to be taken away from the others. Both Solstice and Edge classes are very similar in size. Let's say there are 100,000 square feet of recreational space on both ships (this is a guess for the purpose of example). On Solstice, that 100,000 square feet is available to all. On Edge, however, some of that space, perhaps 10,000 square feet, is reserved for suite guests. That means there would only be 90,000 square feet available to all. Isn't that taking some space away from the non-suite passengers?

I don't know about you, but I learned in science and math classes that when you take something away from the whole for any reason, there is less of it remaining as a result. A good example is the Sky Observation Lounge on the first four Solstice class ships compared to what is on the fifth ship. On Reflection, about 30% of that lounge space was carved out for additional suites that are not on the first four ships. THAT means the non-suite passengers have less lounge space because it have been turned into suite space. More for suite guests, less for non-suite guests. On Edge, they took that concept even further and carved out large areas of two decks, not just a corner of a lounge.

This logic makes no sense. It's a new class of ship so comparing it to the S class ships doesn't really do much good. There are many other things they could have put in that place that would have resulted in passengers having less public space, including more suites - the top three levels of suites take up almost 15000 sq ft on the Edge, are you saying those should be removed as well so there is more public space?

There has always been a class system on all ships, inside cabin or PH cabin. Much of it was unspoken in old days however placement in the dining room often confirmed what type of cabin you had....Crystal still seats this way. As I say with Airplanes, if you pay for business or first class you get bigger seats and better food and drink. If you pay for a fancier cabin, you get the same simple as that, you get what you pay for.

This "Small ship" on a big ship is what brought us to Celebrity from Silversea and Seabourn. The bigger ships afford more things to do, places to drink, restaurants and choices etc and now the small dining room Luminae......gives us the best of both worlds.

Do we look down on people in other cabins? Never, to each there own....We often joke that their probably the richest of all of us ;) It's vacation.....we are there to Enjoy!

Safe Sails to all!

Celebrity originally claimed that Edge was indeed smaller than S class, so I can't be faulted for repeating what they said. Now that the E class seems to be about the same size based on the latest information coming out of Celebrity, of course I will now say they are about the same size.

Don't see where common sense is lacking with these changing statistics that the cruise line has given out. I don't understand why you need to ridicule me for repeating what Celebrity has been telling everyone, both then and now. :rolleyes:

Well there appears to be some query as to the size actually being bigger then S class. Unsure if you've seen post #117 on this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2470819&page=6, but it could be a case of the new design now having to count the 'inside' infinite balconies as part of the grand total, where previously the balcony space hasn't been taken into account? I have no idea if this is correct, however another poster is asking the question on an alternative social media forum ;).

Another thought , which I can t recall call being mentioned ( sorry if it was)...with suite guest utilizing their pool and retreat areas, fewer folks will be at the main pool and solarium and some of the bars...so more room for non suite guests

I'm very sceptic about open space for non suite and non special paiment guests....

Ive seen something like this on NCL, one quarter of the pool deck suite, one extra paiment, playground (high rope stuff, kids, water slips) = overcrowded pool area....

I'm very sceptic about open space for non suite and non special paiment guests....

Ive seen something like this on NCL, one quarter of the pool deck suite, one extra paiment, playground (high rope stuff, kids, water slips) = overcrowded pool area....

With NCL the suite only Haven concept was created after the ship had been designed. Not quite the same thing with a new ship. :)

Some one on this thread said he was a "value vacationer" or something like that, and that's me, too. We've been lucky enough to mostly book verandas, thanks to my generous in-laws. A suite is never going to happen unless I win a contest or something. Maybe because of this, I feel very lucky to be on a cruise at all, and never in a million years would I spend money on a suite. I drive an economy car, wear clothes from Target and do my own nails. That's just my style. So, if you can afford and want to have a suite, eat in Luminae, drink in Michael's -- great. For me, it's just not something I would ever do. and I don't feel like I'm getting less enjoyment out of my cruise.

I do like the look of the Edge's veranda's, but the rest of the ship just wasn't my taste. I'm super excited to be going on Eclipse in 74 days!

Here are some fun facts about Edge:

1. Total area (sqft) of cabin space on the ship is 327,889 sqft. This does not include balcony area, only cabin area.

2. Out of the total cabin area stated above, 66,868 sqft is taken up by suite cabins, which equates to 20.4% of total cabin area.

3. With a total number of 1467 staterooms, 176 are suites. Assuming double occupancy, and sold out ship (2,918 guests), the suite guest total is 352 passengers, or 12% of the total number of guests.

We are NOT (usually) Suite passengers but I think the new Retreat pool, dining room and lounge area is nice for those passengers that are definitely paying top dollar to use it .

The public areas on the Edge haven't been disclosed yet so I think it's hard to say the rest of us will be more crowded.

I understand the physics theory but, as I have said before, I think there was a LOT of wasted public space on the Solstice class (Planet Earth for example) that if utilized wisely would more than make up for any space given to Suite passengers. (Also, we sail in Aqua and that whole huge reception area for Blu, Qsine and Tuscan was a major waste of unused space. I thought that many, many nights while walking to dinner.)

We really need to see the plans for public areas before rushing to judgement.

I don't have any issue with paying more and getting more. My main issue is that the ships are getting too damn big and trying so be all things to all people. Some of them look like floating section 8 housing projects from the outside. If I book a lower category there will be certain venues that will be off limits to me. At the same time if I book a suite I will also be compelled to using the areas that I paid for. Either way I have limited myself. If I wanted a luxury experience I would just book on a luxury line where I would have access to the entire ship. They are usually smaller ships that can call on ports that these mega ships can't. What the cruise lines haven't figured out yet is that with these 3000- 6000 passenger ships all calling on the same ports only creates crowds that contribute to a negative vacation experience. If I have to tender off of one of these ships for a port of call I just won't book that itinerary which further limits my choice. If I wanted to spend time on an over crowed island I would just take a trip on the Long Island railroad to Manhattan. At least there I can see a real Broadway show and enjoy a meal of any ethnic cuisine. What I have enjoyed about cruising in the past is the service and special attention. That's just not going to happen on a mainstream cruise line any more.

When we started cruising on Celebrity in 2003 ( Century) everybody was entitled to the same food, activities service etc . Now contrary to the other lines Celebrity has many classes : different dining rooms ( Luminae, Blu). I do not object to the specialty restaurant which comes for a price but are available to all.... I object to the private pool, terrace, bar on Edge for the upper classes.... I do not feel that way on any other cruise line. We have done 20 cruises with Celebrity and I think it is time to move on...Celebrity is moving to attract the rich and famous... even on the luxury ships an indoor cabin will grant you all the advantages and will not make you feel as an outcast.

Do you fly tourist when you fly? Do you object to the relative luxury of the First Class when you walk through on your way to tourist?

I have no objection or bad feelings regarding the special luxuries that First Class on the airlines, or Suite passengers enjoy.

Considered what people pay that choose the high end, they deserve ever bit of what they receive. I don't feel that my cruise is the equivalent of steerage either. I can afford to go with a suite and did upgrade at some cost to a suite once on Celebrity Millennium. Our suite was great, Luminae was great and our butler was great. However, I did not feel that the suite experience was a huge leap in personal enjoyment. Yes, the suite had more room, the butler what there if we needed him and the food was better in Luminae than the MDR, however, if I had to pay four times what I pay for a balcony cabin (or even more) it is just not worth the difference. Of course, some disagree, as evidenced by the many people that book suites or First Class Air.

Here are some fun facts about Edge:

1. Total area (sqft) of cabin space on the ship is 327,889 sqft. This does not include balcony area, only cabin area.

2. Out of the total cabin area stated above, 66,868 sqft is taken up by suite cabins, which equates to 20.4% of total cabin area.

3. With a total number of 1467 staterooms, 176 are suites. Assuming double occupancy, and sold out ship (2,918 guests), the suite guest total is 352 passengers, or 12% of the total number of guests.

Can you please work out the statistics of the average revenues from suits and non-suite and make a comparison with the footage?

Would love to see that.

What the cruise lines haven't figured out yet is that with these 3000- 6000 passenger ships all calling on the same ports only creates crowds that contribute to a negative vacation experience.

The thing is, if they can consistently fill these mega ships I don't think they'd care in the slightest. I note Costa Cruises have a couple of ships in the pipeline which will hold 6,600 pax each. Not my idea of fun, but in order to commit to those builds I assume many others love the idea.

I think it is much better to have a dedicated section of the ship for the suites, vs having various spots in and around other public areas that are off limits.

Keep them segregated and you will (would) never know they were there.

There is evil genius behind putting those "off limit" places among the other public areas, and that is to entice people to upgrade next time around. Nothing stronger than the irresistible lure of the "forbidden fruit". :eek: