Edge : confirms the many classes on Celebrity

Lolotte

What you must not realize about us is that most of us have a lot of disposable income. We don't own houses, have 2-3 cars. Instead we invest in experiences at a younger age. So while the suites are expensive, booking them 2 years in advance to throw 1000.00 a month at the total bill for the next 18-24 months is not a big deal.

I think what you don't realise is that you've just posted a massive amount of assumption. After completely missing the point of my post! :D

Why do you think I mentioned Celebrity's target demographic?

What a great treat for your wife and you....Congratulations!

Thanks, she thinks we have an outside and I do all the planning so I'm hoping to keep it a secret right to the pier. We have one of the nice Sky suites corner aft on Equinox for 10 days. We'll be in Aruba which is where we honeymooned.

It does affect the rest of us if changes occur retrospectively to allocate space for those in certain classes (Luminae and Michaels Club on S class for instance) however I understand why cruise lines are doing this and where it is specifically planned during the design stage then I think this minimises the impact on those not eligible to access those areas. Just off Oasis and all Suite areas are on deck 17 where other passengers don't go to so didn't really notice it. Think the new Edge class will be similar along with The Haven, Yacht Club etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree....if it's designed that way I have no problem with it as long as there are spaces I will be able to enjoy. It was fine on Cunard not being in Grill Class; did not care about the roped off pool seating area on Royal for suite guests, or the roped area in theater on X

But did not like LOSING Concierge Lounge as a Diamond on Royal and LOSING Michaels Club as an Elite on X, and losing daily bottled water in AQ.

How thoroughly magnanimous of you - Hang on let me just put that bucket back down

I think it would help if the cruise lines allowed people to pay to go into the parts of the ships reserved for suite guests. My favourite bar was Michael's - this was taken away from non suite guests. I would pay a premium for drinks to go in there. Ditto Luminae. I have been fortunate enough to dine there, but it could also be offered as a pay to dine place when not full

People pay extra and get a great room, but this new trend is giving them an additional cruise experience as well

I am in Aqua next week and I get the Persian Garden included,but others can use it for a fee - this would be a far more appropriate, fair and popular way about things

Hope your bucket doesn't have a hole.

If anyone could just pay a fee to use it venue it would be "exclusive" and perhaps lose some appeal to those who desire and will pay for exclusiveness. The truth is, and some have been predicting this for a long time, is that Celebrity is strategically changing its demographic to a more upscale spender. I really feel sorry for those who have been with Celebrity for many years and many cruises who now are finding themselves priced out of the market. I've seen some research on the target client Celebrity is attempting to attract and it seems to indicate that the more affluent person wants service, privacy and a feeling of exclusivity. Some of those who fit the demographic post on these boards and can chime it. It might be a truism to say that more affluent people have more discretionary income to spend and Celebrity, as every other lines, wants some of it. I suspect that new builds on most lines will reflect the appeal to a more upscale client. They will have more "private" space and higher priced specialty venues. Use of space will be evaluated in terms of dollars (or pounds, euro, etc) generated. Happening now, but even more in the future. Now about Michal's Club: While it was a favorite spot for you, it just wasn't a revenue generator for Celebrity and that's why it was changed into an "exclusive" club. The plan was to raise the price of Suites and convince potential Suite passengers that Michael's Club justified the price. Guess what? It worked!

Hope you now can place that bucket to other uses.

Edited by Orator

When we started cruising on Celebrity in 2003 ( Century) everybody was entitled to the same food, activities service etc . Now contrary to the other lines Celebrity has many classes : different dining rooms ( Luminae, Blu). I do not object to the specialty restaurant which comes for a price but are available to all.... I object to the private pool, terrace, bar on Edge for the upper classes.... I do not feel that way on any other cruise line. We have done 20 cruises with Celebrity and I think it is time to move on...Celebrity is moving to attract the rich and famous... even on the luxury ships an indoor cabin will grant you all the advantages and will not make you feel as an outcast.

I tend to agree with you. I think Norwegian is guilty as well, with The Haven. I, also tend to witness many (not all) who seem to act quite entitled because they have chosen to cruise only with the upper tier. Many act like they wouldn't be caught dead with an "insider."Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Edited by willcruiseanythyme

I'm certain that cruise lines, like retail, have revenue and yield per square foot/per pax metrics and need to keep those metrics at or above a certain level. Without those passengers paying SUBSTANTIALLY more per square foot for their cruise, it's fair to say that the rest of us would see a fare increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With each new concept, more of the ship is closed off to the non-suite guests. I prefer a ship that accepts all guests into all venues. If I want to sail in a suite, it would be for extra space. I don't need a separate pool, dining room, or lounge. With the new Edge class ship that restricts the non-suite guests, it creates a class system. Nobody wants to feel like they are 2nd class. Not rushing to book on the Edge.

Agree!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

The thing is the main dining room is not half as good as it was, no effort is put to change the menu. No more white gloves for serving !!!! Always the same menu, the same desserts. I don't want to take away from the others but I miss what we had !

When we started cruising on Celebrity in 2003 ( Century) everybody was entitled to the same food, activities service etc . Now contrary to the other lines Celebrity has many classes : different dining rooms ( Luminae, Blu). I do not object to the specialty restaurant which comes for a price but are available to all.... I object to the private pool, terrace, bar on Edge for the upper classes.... I do not feel that way on any other cruise line. We have done 20 cruises with Celebrity and I think it is time to move on...Celebrity is moving to attract the rich and famous... even on the luxury ships an indoor cabin will grant you all the advantages and will not make you feel as an outcast.

Norwegian has The Haven, which is a separate area.

You are always free to book the nice, high categories on the Edge.

We've been sailing X since 2001 and have no problem with their tiered system of sailing. We aren't rich or famous, either

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Over the course of the last 25 years I have had the privilege to enjoy many cruises in every category from "steerage" to "first class". I can assure you that I cherish the memories of every one of those cruises regardless of class. Now that I have finally retired after 46 years in the workplace, I find myself in a financial position where I can enjoy the suite life. I do this not to deminish anyone's cruise experience in any way, but rather to enhance my own.

And I don't blame you for doing so. I would too if I could. I have no issue with anyone who can afford suites. I do have issues with cruise lines increasingly taking areas that could be public areas for all and dedicating them only for suite guests. Through no fault of their own, suite guests will be enjoying those areas that have become private on Edge class at the expense of non-suite guests who are not allowed to enjoy those same areas as they are able to on Solstice class ships.

When looking over the deck plans for Edge, a ship that is about the same size as the Solstice class, there are significant areas of two of the upper decks that are reserved only for suite class passengers. Those same areas on Solstice class ships are available to all passengers. So it is a net loss of square footage for non-suite passengers.

When there is only so much space available on a ship and some of it is reserved for only a select group, the remaining passengers now have less space to enjoy. Think how you would feel if an organized group of passengers temporarily reserved areas of the ship for their group activities, preventing you from accessing those areas. You would lave less of the ship to enjoy due to the group using that space. It's even worse when the areas are permanently taken away for suite guests only.

Edited by SantaFeFan

The thing is the main dining room is not half as good as it was, no effort is put to change the menu. No more white gloves for serving !!!! Always the same menu, the same desserts. I don't want to take away from the others but I miss what we had !

I agree to missing what I had, especially when I was younger. Why does the past always seem so wonderful while we delve in to the future?, Could it be the way we choose to remember it? Is youth wasted on the young? I definitely believe that having one's health is far superior to money, but I guess having both could be the best of both worlds. However, I have been told over and over again to"seize the day." One never knows what the future may bring...and I don't mean to spend everything, but looking back on memories shared is wonderful! However, one can't stay grounded in the past, as things change...I have watched my dad try to stay the same and be miserable...

Reading through this thread, I get the impression that both sides have valid points, but they do not understand one another. So I will make a meager attempt at trying to explain the issue, at least based on my humble (and possibly incorrect) understanding.

For one thing, some readers are getting too hung up on the word class, which has several meanings and unfortunately is a hot button word for a lot of people. In this sense, I think it refers rather narrowly to the old class system of the original ocean liners. In those days, your ticket was for either first class, second class, or third class (sometimes called tourist class and sometimes jokingly called steerage). The class of your ticket did more than just determine the size of your stateroom. Each class had its own public areas (promenades, dining rooms, bars, etc.), and, more importantly, the classes did not mix on board ship. So when people refer to a class system on board a ship, this is what they are talking about.

Now, the class system worked reasonably well when ocean travel was all about getting from point A to point B, but when cruising became a vacation destination in its own right, the class system began to unravel as the cruise lines discovered that the best way to get large numbers of people onto a cruise ship was to build awesome public spaces and allow everyone equal access to those spaces, regardless of stateroom class. This worked, the class system died out, and the cruise lines and the passengers were all happy campers. Until recently it seems...

As far as I can tell, no one in this thread is complaining about suite guests being in suites. I think everyone is in agreement that people are free to purchase the size and quality of stateroom that they desire based on price and preferences. I think the pushback is coming from the recent tendency to reserve more and more of the public areas of a ship for the exclusive use of suite guests. Some view it as a zero-sum game and you cannot give to one without taking away from the other. I think this is the thing that concerns some people. I am trying to look at it fairly, and even I have to acknowledge that it is a least a little bit like the old class system.

But -- and it is a very important but -- the vast majority of the public spaces on a cruise ship are still open to all passengers, regardless of stateroom type. As long as this hold true, I do not have a problem with it. My recent cruises were all thoroughly enjoyable and pleasant, even though I was in an outside stateroom, lacking even a balcony.

However, I would not characterize the people who are concerned about this issue as being bitter or anything like that. I think they are simply looking to the future and wondering where this is going to lead, and that is a valid point. For now, it appears that the cruise lines are making money by catering to suite guests. If it ever gets to the point where that erodes the quality of the experience for non-suite passengers, then it would be a concern. I just do not think it is there yet.

Thank you for reading.

Apparently you've not looked at many other lines in the past a few years, suite areas abound. If you are purchasing a suite, you pay for suite benefits. They are added to that value. Same for every category available purchase. You are not losing a bloody thing. You are getting the value of what that category costs. You cannot lose what you never had so make it easy on yourself, don't book The Edge class or with all the other lines that offer suite areas. Simple. Nothing in this world is as it was and to constantly bemoan the changes is useless. been sailing since 80's, dollar for dollar I get a hell of a lot more now than I did then. Is it different, yes. But so isn't everything else in my life. Happy Sailing.

Good job nothing has been taken away from non suite pax on Edge then. As they never had it in the first place.

It's simple physics. If you carve out some space for a select group of people, something has to be taken away from the others. Both Solstice and Edge classes are very similar in size. Let's say there are 100,000 square feet of recreational space on both ships (this is a guess for the purpose of example). On Solstice, that 100,000 square feet is available to all. On Edge, however, some of that space, perhaps 10,000 square feet, is reserved for suite guests. That means there would only be 90,000 square feet available to all. Isn't that taking some space away from the non-suite passengers?

I don't know about you, but I learned in science and math classes that when you take something away from the whole for any reason, there is less of it remaining as a result. A good example is the Sky Observation Lounge on the first four Solstice class ships compared to what is on the fifth ship. On Reflection, about 30% of that lounge space was carved out for additional suites that are not on the first four ships. THAT means the non-suite passengers have less lounge space because it have been turned into suite space. More for suite guests, less for non-suite guests. On Edge, they took that concept even further and carved out large areas of two decks, not just a corner of a lounge.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Thanks, she thinks we have an outside and I do all the planning so I'm hoping to keep it a secret right to the pier. We have one of the nice Sky suites corner aft on Equinox for 10 days. We'll be in Aruba which is where we honeymooned.

So sweet (or suite)! I would love to see her face. Hope you can keep it a surprise!

I have thouroghly enjoyed reading this thread. Some posters are quite passionate with their viewpoints, and some border on condescending. One thing that is very clear to me at least, is that I think I can pretty much guess who typically book suites and who doesn't. Some are enthusiastically in favor of this new trend of setting aside exclusive areas for suite guest only (apparently so they don't have to rub shoulders with the peasants who might ruin their cruise experience if they accidentally come into contact with them), and others are concerned about losing more and more space to suite guests (apparently because they fear their experience will be lessened by those uppity rich people on the other side of the barrier).

I do agree with the more rational posters who point out that the recent trend in dividing areas between suite and non-suite guests is fairly recent in the cruise world, and wonder since it has evolved to this point in such a short time, how much further will it go before it becomes intolerable.

Personally, I think it is getting way to close for comfort. Although I love the Infinite Veranda concept, there are other things about Edge that I don't like. Lets say that so far I am not impressed enough to want to give it a try and until more is revealed about Edge that I might like, I will probably continue to prefer Solstice class for my cruising enjoyment. With Edge there is too much emphasis on the "Suite Life" for my tastes, a trend started with the changes they made to Reflection.

So I"m a value guy. We always get a balcony deck and usually one with a decent location, not always the cheapest but certainly not the most expensive. I have exactly the opposite view. The cruise line has a pretty close to a fixed cost for each sailing. When I see other people paying what can only be considered very high costs for things that are, for me, minimal benefits I understand that those folks help lower the cost for my "lower" level access. The same with people that spend hundreds of dollars on drinks which are a huge profit center for the ship.

Now, I don't begrudge anyone who sees the value in these higher categories and the extras that come with it. If that is their idea of value than good for them. Those of us that pay for balcony cabins help lower the cost for those with inside cabins. I mean the truth is that I pay almost double for the same experience and access as an inside cabin with only a ocean facing deck to show for it.

Options are good. The more choices the easier it is find something that works for you and that includes cruise lines.

It's simple physics. If you carve out some space for a select group of people, something has to be taken away from the others. Both Solstice and Edge classes are very similar in size. Let's say there are 100,000 square feet of recreational space on both ships (this is a guess for the purpose of example). On Solstice, that 100,000 square feet is available to all. On Edge, however, some of that space, perhaps 10,000 square feet, is reserved for suite guests. That means there would only be 90,000 square feet available to all. Isn't that taking some space away from the non-suite passengers?

I don't know about you, but I learned in science and math classes that when you take something away from the whole for any reason, there is less of it remaining as a result. A good example is the Sky Observation Lounge on the first four Solstice class ships compared to what is on the fifth ship. On Reflection, about 30% of that lounge space was carved out for additional suites that are not on the first four ships. THAT means the non-suite passengers have less lounge space because it have been turned into suite space. More for suite guests, less for non-suite guests. On Edge, they took that concept even further and carved out large areas of two decks, not just a corner of a lounge.

Hotels do the same,..whole concierge floors with pvt lounges, etc, private beach area with cabanas,....just saying!

Oh I wish I were a fly on the wall to see her expression when she walks in. What a great surprise!

One thing that can't be taught is common sense.

Previously you were pointing out that Edge was smaller than an S class ship but now after Host Jazzbeau educated you I note that you've changed your wording. What you need to start understanding is that several posters, myself included understand your argument completely. It's very simple.

We just don't agree with it in regards to Edge. Your arguments apply to M and S class ships. But not a new design. If and it's an unrealistic if, you can obtain statistics from Celebrity showing square foot per non suite passenger in public areas open to all for both S and E class ships then you might have some foundation to your argument. Right now it's all just speculation on your part.

Anyway, I'm going to tell you a secret that a lot of the anti suite life brigade are yet to figure out. If you are patient, diligent and most important of all, flexible with your travel plans it is perfectly possible to snag a suite with all four perks included for less than other passengers will have paid for an AQ, CC or even some regular balconies. I know because we've done it twice now. The $ per day rate being less than many on here have said that they are happy to pay for verandah class state rooms. You won't do this with Edge for a very long time, but it can be achieved with M ad S class ships if you search hard enough. And I don't just mean TA and TP sailings I mean port intensive sailings. There are not many, but they are there and so suite class is accessible to most people sailing on Celebrity just look out for W category deals.

Whether or not one we like or dislike the idea of dedicated spaces or additional perks or for those who book higher end cabins it is the way the industry is moving.

As others have mentioned MSC and NCL have exclusive spaces for Suite Guests. Carnival now has a class of cabins (Havana) that have a separate pool and lounge and Princess has Club Class Dining for Suites (which was taken from space in the MDR) and a Exclusive Lounge for Suite Guests.

Celebrity would be foolish if they didn't keep up with or get ahead of their competitors.