Ultimate Abyss on Harmony

Hello all,

Please pardon the silly question I am about to ask. I am going on the Harmony of the Seas in just under 3 weeks (so excited) and could use some help from experienced Harmony cruisers. I am looking at images of the Ultimate Abyss dry slides, and want to do it- the only problem is, I take after my mother in the sense that I am extremely wimpy when it comes to big drops. I have heard that the Abyss is not all that bad considering the twists and turns, however am looking for as much input as possible! Almost everyone I've asked says I should do it, because I will get to say I did it and likely want to do it again, and I feel almost as if the anticipation will be more painful than the actual ride down. My question to you all is, is it suitable for those who are not all that fond of extreme drops? I love mild coasters and most waterslides and things of that nature, I just absolutely cannot stand that feeling of a big drop! So anyone who has done it, feel free to chime in as I want to be able to brave it out (but not before letting my thrill-seeking father and brother test it first and tell me what it's like). To me, it looks fun yet scary at the same time, at least in pictures. Does it give that feeling in the stomach, or is it not as bad as it may seem? Thank you all for your replies!

I also avoid (or hate) big drops, and I tried Ultimate Abyss on Harmony... It was completely "harmless", I didn't feel that horrible vacuum on my stomach when riding big roller coasters, but it's a FAST fall though. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it as I did. Go ahead, nothing to worry about.

If you are OK with water slides than the Abyss will seem pretty mild. The view from the top is great. There are no large drops. There are flashing lights inside to increase the intensity factor. If the lights bothers you, just close your eyes for a second.

• 3 weeks later...
If you are OK with water slides than the Abyss will seem pretty mild. The view from the top is great. There are no large drops. There are flashing lights inside to increase the intensity factor. If the lights bothers you, just close your eyes for a second.

I am sailing Saturday and am getting nervous! I do not mind flashing lights at all - I actually think that will be cool. My main concern is the drop feeling!

Another- "It looks worse than it is" post.

It took a lot for my wife to do it, for the same reason, and she ended up really liking it.

But, there were more than one who backed out right at the top of the stairs. Sometimes with tears. If you see that, try not to let it get to you.

I never, ever, felt like it was dropping that bad- roller coasters, even the basic wooden ones, are more harsh.

Edit- it's not a silly question. It's a pretty common concern.

That is a good tip that I haven't heard before. I wonder if they will allow a chest mounted GOPRO? (Thinking for my 2019 Symphony cruise)

That is a good tip that I haven't heard before. I wonder if they will allow a chest mounted GOPRO? (Thinking for my 2019 Symphony cruise)

There are some Youtube videos where a guy has a GoPro strapped to his chest throughout the whole slide. Take a look:

While we're on the subject of the Harmony's activities, is there a height or weight restriction on the zipline?

Not scary at all, but one suggestion I will add is be sure to wear something like a t shirt. I wore a tank and got turned just a bit on one of the turns and burned my shoulder. It is fast and you are warned to keep arms in to avoid burns. Clothing covering my shoulders would've prevented the burn there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you search on the video sites you'll find plenty of video's of the Abyss. USA Today posted one as well when they wrote their article about the Harmony.

I was reluctant to do it but a co-worker who also doesn't like heights did it and has encouraged me to try it on our cruise in less than two weeks.

Just off the Harmony, I am a total wimp when it comes to heights and have never done any kind of big slide- dry or wet. I decided that no mater what I would do the Abyss. First sea day my husband and I went up and waited for it to open. 4 kids in front of us. Was I nervous- YES. When I climbed to the top and looked out at the wake behind the ship I was so glad to see that great view.

Got into the mat and wiggled my old butt to the Abyss and down I went, no 'drop' just a long winding slide. It was a blast. Don't worry about it, just do it.

I am 64 years old and loved the Abyss. I enjoy the "drop" feeling of roller coasters and definitely did not feel that on the Abyss. I rode the first time, immediately went back up to ride again, and repeated a third time. After the third time I wanted to go again, but couldn't fight the crowds on the elevator one more time.

This slide was much more mild than I anticipated. I thought it would be scarier, more of a drop, etc... It was just fast and fun. Now the water slides were another story - I liked the toilet bowl one but hated the other two. I raced my daughter on the other two slides and she took off fast and for some reason, I couldn't get going! I had to keep pushing myself along to move downward. The slide is enclosed and completely black. The dark doesn't scare me but I hate enclosed spaces. I started panicking in there because I wasn't moving! I had to push myself along in several different points in it just to get to the bottom. My daughter finished way before me and thought I'd already got up and left. Never again!

• 3 months later...
Even if it does, the next person would slide down with it.

I would agree, but most likely it would- I don't think those items are even allowed to be brought down, I tried to bring my GoPro down and they wouldn't let me since I didn't have a chest strap! That was extremely disappointing. But I loved the slide, I was so scared at first but I braved it out and ended up absolutely LOVING it! Have fun, you'll love the Ultimate Abyss and Harmony in general!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now the water slides were another story - I liked the toilet bowl one but hated the other two. The slide is enclosed and completely black. The dark doesn't scare me but I hate enclosed spaces. I started panicking in there because I wasn't moving! I had to push myself along in several different points in it just to get to the bottom. Never again!

Thank you for that. I am very claustrophobic.

I was wondering if the Abyss would be scary for me being claustrophobic.

I saw someone wrote that you can't wear glasses?

Even my regular prescription glasses?