On board Marina now March 31 - May 1

lais

Yes, is Jhanib still the guy polishing the stair rails in the aft stairwell? He was always one of my favorite members of the crew.;)

Enjoy your cruise.

The Maine was sunk in Havana Harbor

OP is in Cuba today

Thanks for the history lesson JimandStan; I'd not made the connection.

Lais, save some of that wonderful food for us. We'll be joining you on the 10th!

Donna

Yes, is Jhanib still the guy polishing the stair rails in the aft stairwell? He was always one of my favorite members of the crew.;)

Enjoy your cruise.

I'm using the forward stairs but if I see him I'll say you said hi.

Thanks for the history lesson JimandStan; I'd not made the connection.

Lais' date=' save some of that wonderful food for us. We'll be joining you on the 10th!

Donna[/quote']

The food. It's better than ever. Better than I can describe and I would eat all of it but there's plenty of it so no worries there. Donna, you are going to LOVE it!

The Maine was sunk in Havana Harbor

OP is in Cuba today

Knew that. Are you trying to make the connection that the Cubans sunk it? Don't think they want that to be their claim to fame. It has never been proven one way or another.

• :) Going through cruise withdrawal. Thought Cuba was interesting, challenging, and perhaps full off opportunities. We shall see.

Think of Cuba along the lines of Eastern Europe countries post the fall of Berlin Wall and just think how far have most of them come since with an open economy. Hopefully Cuba willl do the same in time.PS Lais - glad that you are enjoying your cruise and the excellent food.

Think of Cuba along the lines of Eastern Europe countries post the fall of Berlin Wall and just think how far have most of them come since with an open economy. Hopefully Cuba willl do the same in time.PS Lais - glad that you are enjoying your cruise and the excellent food.

From what I hear Cuba does NOT have an Open economy, or an open anything else. Lets see where that goes. Hope all will be better for the Cuban people. Need to get rid of Castro. !!!

From what I hear Cuba does NOT have an Open economy, or an open anything else. Lets see where that goes. Hope all will be better for the Cuban people. Need to get rid of Castro. !!!

Do you mean like China is still a communist countriy on paper? :D. Look at the wealth in China and the incredible growth of economy and infrastructure.

Maybe Cuba will be the same.

Do you mean like China is still a communist countriy on paper? :D. Look at the wealth in China and the incredible growth of economy and infrastructure.

Maybe Cuba will be the same.

On Paper? Do you have any clue what you are talking about? In reality not just on paper. Do not think you would want to live there. Not ever.

Need to get rid of the U.S Embargo

On Paper? Do you have any clue what you are talking about? In reality not just on paper. Do not think you would want to live there. Not ever.

This is the second time on these boards that you are asking me if I have a clue as to what I am talking about. I assure you that I am not an idiot and usually know exactly what I am talking about; that is not to say that I am always right or don't make mistakes but I DO have a clue.

No - I don't want to live in either Cuba or China (BTW, I am writing this response while I am on my 5th trip to China).

That was not the point I was making. What I said is that China is a communist country but under this "new communism" is managing to do very well economically despite being a communist country (for example, they have hundreds if not thousands of bullet trains - we are still talking about the first one from SF to LA; they practically own us with their investments in US). This is unlike the way the things were under the "old communism" of Mao (or the way things were under Castro).

Hence, perhaps Cuba too can manage very well as a "communist" country in time and given enough foreign investment - or perhaps not. This will not happen overnight and time will tell which way they choose to go.

I think I will put you on my "ignore" list for being so rude to me repeatedly.

PS - apologies to OP for being so OT.

Edited by Paulchili

Knew that. Are you trying to make the connection that the Cubans sunk it? Don't think they want that to be their claim to fame. It has never been proven one way or another.

Look at it this way, today Pearl Harbor is overrun by Japanese tourists-

Go figure

Look at it this way, today Pearl Harbor is overrun by Japanese tourists-

Go figure

Right... Japan where they have free elections.... You don't see many Chinese tourists or for that matter any Cubans. Wonder why????

Day 1 Cuba

We sat on our balcony watching all the old cars drive by and they add so much color to the town. We got off the ship around 9:30 and there was about a 5 minute wait to get through immigration. Easy. Takes 2 minutes. They look at your passport and take your picture and you're in. The Plaza across from the pier is very nice. We walked to the Ambos Mundos Hotel where Hemingway lived for awhile then walked up the Malecon about 4 miles to the Hotel National. Of course we had to have a Mojito there on the front lawn looking over the ocean. Mojito $5 cuc and I swear they forgot to add the rum because I get buzzed very easily and I felt nothing. Tasted more like 7up.

Then I wanted to see the art and music walk on Callejon de Hamel. This is also a stop on one of the cruise tours and highly rated on trip advisor so we took a yellow taxi from the hotel $10 cuc to go about 1 1/2 miles. It turns out that Callejon de Hamel is an alley about 1/2 block long with lots of graffiti like paintings on the buildings, a couple of sculptures and no music so off we went back to the ship. Grabbed an old car Taxi which was fun to ride in. We were quoted $10 cuc to go about 3 miles. Ok. When we got out he said "10 cuc per person" I didn't want to argue but I should have. They are learning how to rip off the cruise passengers. So for those of you going to Cuba soon make sure you ask if the price they quote you is the total price. Please no one slam me for being dumb enough to pay the wrong taxi fares. I'm sure I'll hear on the ship how people toured in a taxi for hours for $10 cuc and make me feel like an idiot. Lol

So far Cuba seems very low key. Tonight we are going to Plaza Viejes? about 3 blocks from the port where there should be lots of music and dancing according to a couple we met.

There is a hop on hop off bus just outside the exit doors to the left from the pier $10cuc

If someone needs to get on the internet then you can buy a card for $4.50 cuc and find a wifi (weefee) hot spot. I was told that some places give you a free drink with the WeeFee purchase.

This part of town by the port is so nice that you wouldn't think you were in poor old Cuba It reminds me more of a town in South America.

Tomorrow we are going to Vinales with a hired driver. I'll keep you updated on that and what I find tonight.

I think everything we need to see in Havana city area is within walking distance. No more Taxis. No more Mojitos. I'll stick to beer.

Day 1 Cuba

We sat on our balcony watching all the old cars drive by and they add so much color to the town. We got off the ship around 9:30 and there was about a 5 minute wait to get through immigration. Easy. Takes 2 minutes. They look at your passport and take your picture and you're in. The Plaza across from the pier is very nice. We walked to the Ambos Mundos Hotel where Hemingway lived for awhile then walked up the Malecon about 4 miles to the Hotel National. Of course we had to have a Mojito there on the front lawn looking over the ocean. Mojito $5 cuc and I swear they forgot to add the rum because I get buzzed very easily and I felt nothing. Tasted more like 7up.

Then I wanted to see the art and music walk on Callejon de Hamel. This is also a stop on one of the cruise tours and highly rated on trip advisor so we took a yellow taxi from the hotel $10 cuc to go about 1 1/2 miles. It turns out that Callejon de Hamel is an alley about 1/2 block long with lots of graffiti like paintings on the buildings, a couple of sculptures and no music so off we went back to the ship. Grabbed an old car Taxi which was fun to ride in. We were quoted $10 cuc to go about 3 miles. Ok. When we got out he said "10 cuc per person" I didn't want to argue but I should have. They are learning how to rip off the cruise passengers. So for those of you going to Cuba soon make sure you ask if the price they quote you is the total price. Please no one slam me for being dumb enough to pay the wrong taxi fares. I'm sure I'll hear on the ship how people toured in a taxi for hours for $10 cuc and make me feel like an idiot. Lol

So far Cuba seems very low key. Tonight we are going to Plaza Viejes? about 3 blocks from the port where there should be lots of music and dancing according to a couple we met.

There is a hop on hop off bus just outside the exit doors to the left from the pier $10cuc

If someone needs to get on the internet then you can buy a card for $4.50 cuc and find a wifi (weefee) hot spot. I was told that some places give you a free drink with the WeeFee purchase.

This part of town by the port is so nice that you wouldn't think you were in poor old Cuba It reminds me more of a town in South America.

Tomorrow we are going to Vinales with a hired driver. I'll keep you updated on that and what I find tonight.

I think everything we need to see in Havana city area is within walking distance. No more Taxis. No more Mojitos. I'll stick to beer.

Glad to see that you are having a good time. Can not go wrong with Oceania. By the way how much is a cuc in U.S. dollars?

Glad to see that you are having a good time. Can not go wrong with Oceania. By the way how much is a cuc in U.S. dollars?

We cashed in $200 got $173 back otherwise it's $1 USD = $1 CUC