Muster drill - some thoughts

When we did our first cruise, almost 9 years ago, muster drill was immediately before sailaway. All passengers had to go to their assigned lifeboat station, with the lifejacket. Once there you were checked off, (and someone was despatched to try locate absentees).

You were instructed on how to don the lifejacket, and once you had it on, it was checked by a crewmember, so they (and you) knew what to do.

To me, this was a half hour well spent. Unlike an aircraft going down, if a cruise ship went, you have a decent chance of escape.

Since then, I have seen the procedure diluted. First you didnt have to take your lifejacket. Then the assembly at the lifeboat degenerated into a meander up to the point, mill around a bit, then go.

Now you have your muster drill in places like the theatre, the MDR or a bar.

Further, I have read on here about people bothered about attending muster drill "as they cant stand for very long" or "have impaired mobility issues".

In the worst of scenarios (think Costa Concordia) I now wonder about:

Does anyone know where their.lifeboat is and how to get there?

Does anyone know how to put on the lifejacket properly?

What are you going to do, if you can't stand for very long, or have impaired mobility? How are you going to get to your (location maybe unknown to you) correct lifeboat in these circumstances?

I always have a read of the notice on the back of the door about lifeboat location, and on the first.night stroll, check out where that boat is.

Just a thought.......

With the old method of having to report to your lifeboat during an emgernecy, the lifeboat would need to wait till all passengers assigned to it showed up before leaving.

By reporting to a central location (lounge, restaurant, theater) when enough passengers showed up, they could lead them to the next available lifeboat and leave immediately.

Don

We have had muster in a theater or lounge on four of six cruises. No worries, we walk to our lifeboat and determine how to get there from several different points and directions. As far as life jackets, people were tripping over them, it was a fiasco. In addition to the life jackets in the cabin there are life jackets in various places around the deck (two per person or more on any give ship) so not worried, People just need to watch to see how to put it on, it's not rocket science.

For those with limited mobility, it's their risk. Triage says save yourself and then the ones you can save, leave the rest behind. The scenario--I and another person can save four children by carrying them through chaos to a life boat, or I and another person can maybe carry one wheelchair bound passenger. I'm going to save four lives rather than one. It might sound callous, but it is the training first responders are taught. You can't save them all so you focus on the ones most likely to survive.

:

Does anyone know where their.lifeboat is and how to get there?

Does anyone know how to put on the lifejacket properly?

What are you going to do, if you can't stand for very long, or have impaired mobility? How are you going to get to your (location maybe unknown to you) correct lifeboat in these circumstances?

I always have a read of the notice on the back of the door about lifeboat location, and on the first.night stroll, check out where that boat is.

Just a thought.......

Yes. It is listed on your sea pass as well as mapped on the cabin door. In fact we tend to scope it out long before drill

Yes. Again, several other sets of instructions are all around to avail yourself of

You inform guest services that in the event of emergency you will require you xtra assistance. Crew members are assigned to perform that assistance

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In the case of an emergency, your assigned lifeboat may be inaccessible. This could be due to a heavy listing (as in the Costa Concordia), or fire or other obstruction near its location. It is much safer to gather in a neutral area and be directed to the nearest working lifeboat.

Also, if an emergency occurs, you may not be able to return to your stateroom to retrieve your life jacket. It is recommended that you never return there due to potentially dangerous situations below decks, such as fire or smoke, water rushing in, or other obstruction. Many of the people who died on the Concordia returned to their staterooms and became trapped. It is much safer to go straight to your muster station and be given a life jacket there or at the lifeboat you are taken to.

The new procedures are safer in the end and are a direct response to that tragic Concordia accident. Lessons were learned that are now required, such as muster drills before departure, not sometime within 24 hours as before.

Your muster station is where you gather in an emergency to have a roll call. To muster (as a verb) is to assemble. At the assembly point (muster station), attendance is taken. On a cruise ship, the process continues with instructions as to the meaning of the alarm (the alarm you hear is NOT the "abandon ship" alarm, it is the "muster now" alarm), how to wear the vest, and any other information the cruise line deems important. If you hear that alarm and go directly to the lifeboat station, the crew person taking the roll call marks you absent - and you have disrupted the orderly sequence of events designed for your (and everyone's) safety.

The cruise lines I have sailed take this drill seriously, and anyone who skips the drill has a choice of a private "lesson" or leaving the ship. Yes, there are procedures in place for those with mobility issues - I don't know what they are because I don't (at least for now) need to know. In case of most ship emergencies, the ship itself is your best lifeboat. Secondary to that is abandoning ship in a tender/lifeboat. Tertiary to that is floating in the ocean in a life vest. Good luck with surviving more than a few minutes.

The Concordia tragedy was the result of a confluence of arrogance, stupidity, cowardice, and criminal actions on the part of the captain. May there be higher standards of professionalism from every captain, now and in the future.

Actually for all the years I have been cruising with them, Princess has mustered in theaters and lounges. There is a great deal of logic behind that concept. The majority of emergencies are not of the abandon ship variety but do require control of the onboard passengers in a safe and secure location, think FIRE or electrical. Standing out on the deck for an hour or two while things are gotten under control is much less desirable than mustering at the theater.

Actually for all the years I have been cruising with them, Princess has mustered in theaters and lounges. There is a great deal of logic behind that concept. The majority of emergencies are not of the abandon ship variety but do require control of the onboard passengers in a safe and secure location, think FIRE or electrical. Standing out on the deck for an hour or two while things are gotten under control is much less desirable than mustering at the theater.

On 23 March 2006 the 3,100 passengers aboard the Star Princess heard the muster alarm at around 3:00 am due to a fire. All passengers were mustered to their interior muster stations (NOT the lifeboats) and seven hours later were allowed to return to their cabins after the fire had been put out. The fire started on a balcony, most likely from a discarded cigarette. Over 150 cabins were damaged and unusable. Almost half the lifeboats on the ship, those under the fire area, were inaccessible during the emergency due to water used to put out the fire pouring over them and the danger of falling debris.

Never was there a need to go to the lifeboats. Imagine the chaos that would have ensued if that is where the passengers went? As wheezedr said, it is much better to stand in a safe area while things are gotten under control. Abandon ship situations are rare.

cruise_starprincess(1).jpg

Your muster station is where you gather in an emergency to have a roll call. To muster (as a verb) is to assemble. At the assembly point (muster station), attendance is taken. On a cruise ship, the process continues with instructions as to the meaning of the alarm (the alarm you hear is NOT the "abandon ship" alarm.

Backing up this thought: I've never been called to the Muster Station for an emergency, but a friend of mine was -- twice on one cruise -- and neither time did she abandon ship. Once everyone was called because a passenger was missing /possibly overboard ... nope, she was found sleeping in, ehm, the wrong cabin. Second time, there was a fire in the kitchen, and they were preparing to abandon ship ... but got it under control.

Incidentally, my friend had a baby and a toddler on that cruise ... and she didn't cruise again for a long, long time after that.

There are some good reasons for the changes in Muster procedures. Consider taking life jackets to the drill. Yes, this had the advantage of everyone putting on their own life jacket. But numerous passengers were injured coming and going to the drills because they inadvertently dragged a strap which tripped themselves or another passenger. And then you had a lot of new builds that did not have a wide enough outdoor boat deck to safety accommodate all the passengers. And of course you could have a drill in awful weather which was bad for everyone. And most importantly, in a real emergency there is a reasonable likelihood that not all the lifeboats would be usable. A fire, outdoor conditions, severe listing...all can make some lifeboats unusable. Just look at the Star Princess fire where multiple lifeboats were in the path of flames and smoke. So mustering at indoor places gives the Captain (and crew) more flexibility. They can then direct passengers to usable boats, or hold them at the muster station for many hours (a problem if you are outdoors in the elements.

Hank

Sorry Sancho, I think you are in the minority around here. I hated the old muster drill with wearing the life jackets and being squashed on the hot outside deck by the lifeboats. In those style drills, how many people actually listened to the crew’s information? Heck, I was more preoccupied with thinking how much I hated the bloody lifejacket and will I be able to wear my shirt again that cruise because of all the sweat!

I also hate the new muster drills. They are far more comfortable, but now that they have a better forum to deliver the safety information why does it have to be sooooooo boring? The delivery by the crew on my last few cruises was worse than my first year economics professor's lecture deliveries. It took him a whole 5 minutes to put me off to sleep.

Cruise lines need to hire Southwest Airlines to teach them how to deliver a safety message. Now those are funny and informative.

Please don't hire Air Canada. Their safety instructions are boring in both official languages.

Further, I have read on here about people bothered about attending muster drill "as they cant stand for very long" or "have impaired mobility issues".

All I can say about your comments about the physically impaired is "wow". Clearly that is not your issue. How old are your parents or grand parents? Old enough that they might/do have mobility issues. Screw them! No body should help someone you love, right. Let them die because they need a cane and are getting in your way. That horrible person that need walkers, especially the one with the seat. I just don't think they can get any more selfish then taking up too much room. And people with scooters. Holy crap, that really takes up a lot of room. Just leave them behind to die. What an arrogant ignorant little man you are. You think because I can't normally stand for very long I should die?

Here is what those with mobility issues do. We suck it up. We go and stand like everyone else and we will get in that lifeboat, with or without your help. (Well, clearly not your help.) We get done what we need to get done. If it were just a drill, that's great as we can sit. We don't have to worry about standing and going back to our cabin in major pain for the next few days. For the sake of living we will all get out of your way as you need to get there first. Just push us to the side and you run by.

I really prefer muster drills in inside areas rather than on deck. I've been on several which were by the life boats that were just miserable due to heat or movement of the ship. Several people actually collapsed or fainted on one drill, and I felt pretty woozy woozy myself.

I think standing in lines several people deep would be harder for older persons or those mobility impaired. We were very surprised that Holland America still holds the drills outside, given their normal demographic.

I also think carrying the life jackets through the halls and stairs causes problems worse than fumbling to put one on in a real emergency.

The point that MUST be remembered is when an emergency occurs go to your MUSTER STATION, not the lifeboat, UNLESS IT IS YOUR MUSTER STATION. If you don't go where you're supposed to, you make the crew have to search for you, endangering others.

Also, as an ex Naval Officer, lifeboats are needed only if you have to abandon a sinking ship. Most emergencies you could be mustered for would be fire or something like that. Speaking from experience, I've never had to abandon ship, but I've had to fight several fires.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Personally, I think that the comments here about the mobility impaired are simply deplorable.

Now, having said that, here is what Carnival (my only experience) does with the mobility impaired and mustering. All persons with mobility impairments report to a separately assigned, accessible muster station. There are specifically designated crew members to assist with removing these guests to the lifeboats, should it be necessary. If those guests are unable to report to the muster station in an emergency for some reason, these same crew members are responsible for finding and assisting them. It is very well organized and lends a great deal of comfort to those who are, or travel with, someone with a disability.

Sorry Sancho, I think you are in the minority around here. I hated the old muster drill with wearing the life jackets and being squashed on the hot outside deck by the lifeboats. In those style drills, how many people actually listened to the crew’s information? Heck, I was more preoccupied with thinking how much I hated the bloody lifejacket and will I be able to wear my shirt again that cruise because of all the sweat!

I also hate the new muster drills. They are far more comfortable, but now that they have a better forum to deliver the safety information why does it have to be sooooooo boring? The delivery by the crew on my last few cruises was worse than my first year economics professor's lecture deliveries. It took him a whole 5 minutes to put me off to sleep.

Cruise lines need to hire Southwest Airlines to teach them how to deliver a safety message. Now those are funny and informative.

Please don't hire Air Canada. Their safety instructions are boring in both official languages.

This is well said. The one time I paid full attention during the entire drill was on Windstar. They do it with comedy--similar to Southwest--with one of the very funny crew members being the demonstrator while another crew member gave the instructions. It was in the lounge so we were all comfortable and they didn't even make us relinquish our drinks. It was done as a comedy sketch, although serious as a heart attack in the actual message. I think it captured everyone's attention. You couldn't wait to see what the demonstrating crew member pantomimed next.

Personally, I think that the comments here about the mobility impaired are simply deplorable.

Now, having said that, here is what Carnival (my only experience) does with the mobility impaired and mustering. All persons with mobility impairments report to a separately assigned, accessible muster station. There are specifically designated crew members to assist with removing these guests to the lifeboats, should it be necessary. If those guests are unable to report to the muster station in an emergency for some reason, these same crew members are responsible for finding and assisting them. It is very well organized and lends a great deal of comfort to those who are, or travel with, someone with a disability.

That makes no sense. So Peter from the kitchen is tasked with assisting Mary from Peoria who might be anywhere on a huge ship, doesn't report to the muster station, and Peter is tasked with searching the ship to find her, putting himself and potentially others at risk? She's not in her cabin, so where does he begin looking?

Perhaps instead of going to find her, they radio the names and staterooms of guests who are missing so that a single point of contact for all disabled guests can keep track if someone was found and brought to a different area for some reason. For example on a huge ship it wouldn't make sense for Mary who is ambulatory but not quickly and safe in the library with muster group 1 to be moved two desks and the entire ship to her assigned muster group 6 in the MDR.

That makes no sense. So Peter from the kitchen is tasked with assisting Mary from Peoria who might be anywhere on a huge ship, doesn't report to the muster station, and Peter is tasked with searching the ship to find her, putting himself and potentially others at risk? She's not in her cabin, so where does he begin looking?

Perhaps instead of going to find her, they radio the names and staterooms of guests who are missing so that a single point of contact for all disabled guests can keep track if someone was found and brought to a different area for some reason. For example on a huge ship it wouldn't make sense for Mary who is ambulatory but not quickly and safe in the library with muster group 1 to be moved two desks and the entire ship to her assigned muster group 6 in the MDR.

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that each individual was assigned a crew member (or visa versa), but that there are crew members assigned to specifically assist this group. I'm certain that if one was missing from the muster, communication of that would occur through the radios used by the crew. In our experience, there has been ONE muster station for those with mobility issues. We have traveled before the change was made and those with mobility issues were assigned a regular muster station and there was one crew member assigned to assist those with mobility issues. We were instructed during that if we could not get to the muster station for some reason, to report to our stateroom and someone would come get us there.

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that each individual was assigned a crew member (or visa versa), but that there are crew members assigned to specifically assist this group. I'm certain that if one was missing from the muster, communication of that would occur through the radios used by the crew. In our experience, there has been ONE muster station for those with mobility issues. We have traveled before the change was made and those with mobility issues were assigned a regular muster station and there was one crew member assigned to assist those with mobility issues. We were instructed during that if we could not get to the muster station for some reason, to report to our stateroom and someone would come get us there.

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification. It seems counter productive to tell disabled people to report to staterooms--that's how people died on the Concordia. I'd think having them report to any muster station they could get to where the crew could radio that they had that disabled person and their party and accommodations could be made as required would be the most logical way to go about it.

I thought one of the reasons for not taking life jackets anymore was for Noro control. People just could not resist blowing the attached whistles that the prior ten cabin occupants had also done. A case of leave them stowed or clean them between every sailing.

There are some good reasons for the changes in Muster procedures. Consider taking life jackets to the drill. Yes, this had the advantage of everyone putting on their own life jacket. But numerous passengers were injured coming and going to the drills because they inadvertently dragged a strap which tripped themselves or another passenger. And then you had a lot of new builds that did not have a wide enough outdoor boat deck to safety accommodate all the passengers. And of course you could have a drill in awful weather which was bad for everyone. And most importantly, in a real emergency there is a reasonable likelihood that not all the lifeboats would be usable. A fire, outdoor conditions, severe listing...all can make some lifeboats unusable. Just look at the Star Princess fire where multiple lifeboats were in the path of flames and smoke. So mustering at indoor places gives the Captain (and crew) more flexibility. They can then direct passengers to usable boats, or hold them at the muster station for many hours (a problem if you are outdoors in the elements.

Hank

Concur completely. Even when the procedure is to bring life jackets to muster, some fools will drag the straps after the announcement cautions them not to.

Apart from a collision, I've never read of an emergency where the ship goes from normal status to ABANDON SHIP in an instant. That only happens on Star Trek. Even on the Concordia there was time to get everyone off safely, had the captain exercised good judgment.

People blow the whistles, really? I've never seen or heard that. To quote the modern philosopher Forrest Gump, "stupid is as stupid does."

I like the way Princess handles the muster drills. You carry your life jacket to your muster station. We always make sure the straps are tucked inside. The stations are inside, usually in lounges. You don't have to hear the instructions over howling wind (my experience on earlier cruises on Carnival) or feeling like you might faint from standing for a while in heat in a crowd.

You try on the life jacket (not sure how closely the crew members check to see you did it right but there are several crew members at each station). Then you are told to remove your jacket and make sure the straps aren't loose.

Easy peasy.

People blow the whistles, really? I've never seen or heard that. To quote the modern philosopher Forrest Gump, "stupid is as stupid does."

Wouldn't blow the whistle but I remember my son had to check out the light by putting the contact end into water in the sink. Kids will be kids. BTW it worked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app