Kids Passport Question

amallison

This has probably been asked a million times and I apologize but I'm a newbie to traveling with kids. Is it easier to cruise with a 6 & 8 year old on a passport book or a passport card?

We've never traveled out of the country with the kids and we're getting ready to apply for their passports and I just want to make sure I'm doing the easiest thing. My understanding is that they pretty much function the same but I just wanted to make sure if we get the cards, we'll be okay on our December cruise.

Thanks guys!

This has probably been asked a million times and I apologize but I'm a newbie to traveling with kids. Is it easier to cruise with a 6 & 8 year old on a passport book or a passport card?

We've never traveled out of the country with the kids and we're getting ready to apply for their passports and I just want to make sure I'm doing the easiest thing. My understanding is that they pretty much function the same but I just wanted to make sure if we get the cards, we'll be okay on our December cruise.

Thanks guys!

If you are cruising from the US and doing a closed loop cruise, you can get away with the card. If you are starting your cruise from a different country you need the passport book.

Edited by Longstockingpippi1
sp

I have no idea what you mean by "easier". If you have to take an international airline flight you must have a passport (book). A passport card will not do.

Assuming you're taking a typical Caribbean cruise that begins and ends in the same US port a passport card will suffice. But, if your children are US citizens they can also take that cruise with just a birth certificate issued by a government entity, city state or county. It can't be a hospital-issued certificate. The passport card really doesn't have an additional value for that type of cruise over a birth certificate.

Where are you going? This matters.

The US Passport Book and US Passport Card do NOT function the same. See here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html

I apologize, we will be sailing from New Orleans (only about a 45 minute drive for us) to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, and Roatan. It sounds like we can do the card and be just fine.

I apologize, we will be sailing from New Orleans (only about a 45 minute drive for us) to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, and Roatan. It sounds like we can do the card and be just fine.

Or just use your children's birth certificates. No fuss, no applications to complete and no cost.

Our travel agent mentioned that our travel insurance (for emergency medical expenses, etc.) would not cover the kids expenses if they didn't have a passport book because if they get hurt in a foreign country or the ship leaves us behind, they can't fly without a passport book. The card won't work in that situation - or that's what I was told. You'd have additional expenses like contacting the us, expediting a passport, and delays. That being said, we did our first two family cruises (closed loop from FL and the Puerto Rico) with just their birth certificates. We got them passport books for this summer though since our agent let us know about that potential issue.

Cheap and easy, just use the Birth Certificates. No need to purchase the passport card unless you plan on going back and forth to Canada.....

If you do plan on travelling internationally, get the BOOK. If you have no international plans in the near future why bother with passports at all? You are able to do closed loop cruises that start/end in a U.S. city with just a certified birth certificate and a government issued ID.

The passport card really doesn't have an additional value for that type of cruise over a birth certificate.

I'll agree with this. Just remember without a passport book it's a tough land trip back to the US if anything happens abroad causing you to leave the ship. I know passport books are more expensive and expire sooner, but I never took that risk with my kids.

You can cruise with their birth certificates just as easily as with the passport card, and there are really no benefits to getting the card, which is designed for people who often cross the border by land.

The card will do fine for your purposes, but if you are going to the trouble of getting passports, why not get the book. Then if in the next 5 years you plan another trip you will be covered. If there is an emergency, and you have to fly back, your Passport book will make that WAY easier.

I've been thinking of just using our BC as well plus our DL but someone told me to bring my marriage certificate because my DL and reservation for the cruise doesn't match my BC...of course it doesn't match...I'm married.

Thinking a passport card will be easier so we don't have to fool with BC, DL and marriage certificate.

Any thoughts on that?

I've been thinking of just using our BC as well plus our DL but someone told me to bring my marriage certificate because my DL and reservation for the cruise doesn't match my BC...of course it doesn't match...I'm married.

Thinking a passport card will be easier so we don't have to fool with BC, DL and marriage certificate.

Any thoughts on that?

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html

Any thoughts on that?

Like people have said, if you are getting a passport to go on a cruise, you might as well get a passport book. The card does not allow you to re-enter the U.S. by air. So, if something happens and you need to fly back, you will not be allowed to do it with the card. Personally, I don't see the point of getting the passport card unless you travel by land to Canada and/or Mexico frequently.

For your kids, I see no value in a passport card. If you don't want to get a passport book then just use their birth certificates. If you are going through the trouble of the mail in application and photos, might as well get a passport book. The card only works for land/sea travel to Canada, Mexico, and Caribbean. So unless you live near a border and plan to drive through, it really doesn't do much. A passport book gives you the flexibility to fly home in an emergency or fly to the next port if you miss the ship. Plus expands you vacation options.

W your situation w the married names, would def go with the passport book for the same reasons. It's good for 10 years so the investment really isn't that bad over a 10 year period.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums