shore excursion credit onboard?

nancydow

But I thought this $50 that was going to be credited to us was refundable OBC? We're hoping so. We have a pretty big chunk of non-refundable OBC ($900) to use on next month's cruise. Especially if it is going to show up late, I don't want to be scrambling to spend it the last day.

It is not refundable. It is $50 per cabin, not person, and is deducted from the cost of the excursions after each port. If you do nto use it then it is lost. You never see any actual cash from this perk.

Correct - we have used the credit on some excursions durning our past two cruises.

You call Shorex and make the reservation thru them - in our case we were also plat plus so there is a latitude tier discount - you do not pay in advance.

Once you have completed the tour you will see both the original tour cost and a $50.00 credit per port not pp. Should you cancel that particular excursion there will be no credit. It’s basically use it or loose it.

very interesting..

thank you for posting this.

I was wondering.....

exactly that.

I have 100 credit per shore excursion and I am gold..

A few of the ones I booked are over 100.

Will I get the discount for gold first ?

then they take out the 100...?

I have never had excursion credits before so I am pretty confused

I booked all the excursions by calling the phone number as I was not going to prepay.

Thank you in advance.

So I expect to see $50 credit on our OBA for each port we are taking the ship's excursion. Hope to find something to spend the $50 for!!

That is the point of reserving shorex using the phone to call Miami, you don't have to pay up front and so the $50 is an immediate charge against the cost of the shorex when completed and charged to your folio. You don't then have to FIND something to spend it on.

very interesting..

I was wondering.....

exactly that.

My reading is that the Gold Platinum is deducted "at source" so the charge on your folio would be decreased by the 10% allowance and THEN any $50 or $100 perk is removed.

very interesting..

I was wondering.....

exactly that.

My reading is that the Gold Platinum is deducted "at source" so the charge on your folio would be decreased by the 10% allowance and THEN any $50 or $100 perk is removed.

Thank you.

and the day I may not take a ship excursion I just lose the credits...correct?

so I 125 dollar excursion gets the 10 percent discount...so it becomes 112.50

they credit me 100 and I pay 12.50?

Again, thank you for answering this..

as I thought I knew everything there was to know about cruising..lol;p

except the things I never do..

like getting perks as I normally book sailaway....

and booking shore excursions through the ship...

Did it this time because I had no idea it was a signature voyage and included 50 bucks per port.

and the day I may not take a ship excursion I just lose the credits...correct? Correct

they credit me 100 and I pay 12.50? Correct, provided you have "reserved" your shorex and not paid for it up front.

Well that is my reading of the situation. As an aside; "how did you get a $100 credit rather than the $50 I got!!!?"

a As an aside; "how did you get a $100 credit rather than the $50 I got!!!?"

The FOS promos credits and the DV (Distinctive Voyages) credits are combinable, therefore, if you have both, you can combine them. I have the DV credits and I, like you, receive the LATS discount so.... I called and booked my excursions with the SX desk and had no charge on my CC and will pay only what is left after the discounts.

Lat. rewards disc. 10%

Excursion charges - 215

Excursion discounts - 150 (50 x 3 so far)

for now, my amount owing is $65 USD with 3 of 4 booked.

and the day I may not take a ship excursion I just lose the credits...correct? Correct

they credit me 100 and I pay 12.50? Correct, provided you have "reserved" your shorex and not paid for it up front.

Well that is my reading of the situation. As an aside; "how did you get a $100 credit rather than the $50 I got!!!?"

Exactly what allready2 cruise said.:)

I never book the ship ones..

but I always book last minute cruises in balconies as a solo...

I was already going to take the package versus the sail away rate for my 10 day on the dawn..

because the package came with 200 OBC..and all in after the obc...which i spend on cigs anyway..

it was a 255.00 diff after the OBC and that included the grats on the drink package...plus another choice..

as I was booking the net as the other choice...she informed me of the DV status of the cruise..

it is a little yellow icon to look for...and lasts on bookings made before 1/31?

She told me an extra 50 per port in excursion credits, 250 mins of net and phone calls were included.

it came with other things I could not use because I am local.

And I was told you could stack the excursion credits to 100 so I took that.

I am alone so 100 per port is more than enough...

The FOS promos credits and the DV (Distinctive Voyages) credits are combinable, therefore, if you have both, you can combine them. I have the DV credits and I, like you, receive the LATS discount so.... I called and booked my excursions with the SX desk and had no charge on my CC and will pay only what is left after the discounts.

Lat. rewards disc. 10%

Excursion charges - 215

Excursion discounts - 150 (50 x 3 so far)

for now, my amount owing is $65 USD with 3 of 4 booked.

Hi..wait a sec.

I reread your post.

I have to have the credits used in each port...correct?

So I cannot use the overage from a lesser excursion on a pricier one at another port?

That is how I had read it.

Hi..wait a sec.

I reread your post.

I have to have the credits used in each port...correct?

So I cannot use the overage from a lesser excursion on a pricier one at another port?

That is how I had read it.

Correct Deb... the amount of the credit is max $50. So, if you book an excursion of $150, you will get the discount of $50... however, if you have the FOS $50 discount too, you would receive $50 + $50 discount.

Its states in the Terms & Conditions that it's $50 per stateroom/port which means you cannot carry over any unused credit to the next port.

HTH

Connie

PS: Just to add, it was no problem to find shore excursions which were over the $50 credit limit... I'm very pleased with the outcome I've had with this credit.

Correct Deb... the amount of the credit is max $50. So, if you book an excursion of $150, you will get the discount of $50... however, if you have the FOS $50 discount too, you would receive $50 + $50 discount.

Its states in the Terms & Conditions that it's $50 per stateroom/port which means you cannot carry over any unused credit to the next port.

HTH

Connie

PS: Just to add, it was no problem to find shore excursions which were over the $50 credit limit... I'm very pleased with the outcome I've had with this credit.

That's wonderful.

I have not had such a easy time with it.

It sounded great which is why I chose it...

But, As I frequently cruise to the same posts....

I already know the best places to go at least for me and the best deals.

And in most of the ports booking through the ship not only costs triple..

but you get much less and you get crowds.

For example...I go to mr. Sanchos in Cozumel a few times a year.

It comes to about 80 including a private cab.

All inclusive waiter service with anything from the menu.

The closest option through the ship...

was about 10 bucks more..on a bus...

with a buffet...to a lesser club.

And at grand cayman..I just love standing on that sandbar.:D

[dont care about the giant fish..;p]

I pay 30 bucks...and go on a practically empty catamaran.

The ship option...110. with crowds.

So, on the ports I either have never found anything good

or just normally stay on the boat...

I booked some things my kids dared me to try like parasailing:eek: and horseback riding on the water.

But, for the others...

Like costa maya...

I have a wonderful girl that gives me fabulous acrylics on the sand...does my toes..

and again with waiter service ordering from the menu and pina colodas..

with the full set of acrylics and mani pedi....

after tip costs about 110.

with a private cab.

I am probably going to let the credits rot as I would rather have a good time...

What did you find that was wonderful?

Have you been there before?

It is probably my fault as I only like like beach excursions and reading the reviews on them on norwegian really scared me as most folks said to run.

• 1 month later...

Here was my experience from the Getaway last month:

1) all excursions were pre-paid

2) up to $50 was credited to my stateroom around 6pm each night in a port

3) up to $50 was credited per port, one excursion (kayak at Harvest Caye) was $29 and the credit was $29

It was a fairly simply process and they also did give me the Latitudes discount. Good luck and happy sailing!

• 3 months later...
She said that if you do it over the phone, they'll apply the credit when they book it, and then you'll pay the discounted fare on the cruise (or after, technically, with the final bill). If you do it online, you pay the full price upfront and then they credit you the discount later. Of course, it's not OBC--I assume they just refund your credit card or subtract it from your final amount owed (after OBC's been applied).

So far no one has been able to show the exact method by which the refund is applied if you actually pay for the excursions up-front. It would be nice if someone who has already cruised and had this happen how about explaining what occurred,

Whatever the situation I suggest everyone keeps an eye on their folio throughout the cruise as it can become very complicated. We booked a cruise in Jan 2017 to be taken in Oct 2017 and there were large numbers of postings on our folio as the Platinum Plus rebate had to be claimed when we boarded. For every shorex there were at least 4 entries!!! For one there was even more as we had a further rebate when a snack didn't eventuate.

Caveat Emptor.

This whole subject is bizarrely uncertain because NCL is inconsistent when asked. I literally just got off a call with the shorex department and was told (echoes the above). Book via them and they apply the credit upfront, book online and the credit will be applied to your folio onboard. THEN and here's the bit that made me smile, shake my head and reach of the Tequila, I quote: "we will send you a check for any unused credit after the cruise"...

C'mon NCL...

Here was my experience from the Getaway last month:

1) all excursions were pre-paid

2) up to $50 was credited to my stateroom around 6pm each night in a port

3) up to $50 was credited per port, one excursion (kayak at Harvest Caye) was $29 and the credit was $29

It was a fairly simply process and they also did give me the Latitudes discount. Good luck and happy sailing!

Thanks for sharing this!

It’s how I was hoping it would work all along! Especially when we’ve always booked tours in advance on line....and one would think NCL would want EVERYONE to book them online, as it is the cheapest way for them!

Oh well!

Fingers crossed mine will work out the same way!

There are already enough other quirks with their website to worry about! HAHA!

Thanks for sharing this!

It’s how I was hoping it would work all along! Especially when we’ve always booked tours in advance on line....and one would think NCL would want EVERYONE to book them online, as it is the cheapest way for them!

Oh well!

Fingers crossed mine will work out the same way!

There are already enough other quirks with their website to worry about! HAHA!

Talk about quirks... I’ve got 3 port days in Bermuda and the 50 per day free at sea credit. Shore ex agent claimed they credit it each day as a new port. Reserved via phone but not paid hoping to avoid the mystery refund process. I sure hope that comment tucked a few posts back about not getting more than one for an overnight port isn’t true!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Talk about quirks... I’ve got 3 port days in Bermuda and the 50 per day free at sea credit. Shore ex agent claimed they credit it each day as a new port. Reserved via phone but not paid hoping to avoid the mystery refund process. I sure hope that comment tucked a few posts back about not getting more than one for an overnight port isn’t true!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Always read the T&Cs of anything you purchase whether it's a house, car, refrigerator warranty or a shore excursion promo.....

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

"Overnight stays count as one port, except Bermuda sailings which can receive up to 3 individual days of shore excursion credit."

If you have the $50 (or even 2 x $50) shorex perk always RESERVE so not paying with the shorex department in Miami (and do NOT pay having booked online). The shorex will be charged when you board and you will have the $50 credited decreasing the actual cost. If you pay before you cruise by booking online you MAY find the $50 appears as non-refundable OBC.

This whole subject is bizarrely uncertain because NCL is inconsistent when asked. I literally just got off a call with the shorex department and was told (echoes the above). Book via them and they apply the credit upfront, book online and the credit will be applied to your folio onboard. THEN and here's the bit that made me smile, shake my head and reach of the Tequila, I quote: "we will send you a check for any unused credit after the cruise"...

C'mon NCL...

We have now called 3x about this $50 "perk" and 3x have been told the same thing: "Since you pre-booked online and paid in advance, when each excursion is completed each cabin (we have 2) will be credited with $50 refundable obc. If you do not use it on the cruise, it will be credited back to the credit card you charged the excursions on." When we booked our Baltic excursions our latitudes discount was immediately taken off the price of each excursion. Just wish NCL would get their act together and train their reps to give out the same info to all who call...

Now I don't know if the NCL rep was full of crap or not but they told me I just book online and pay like normal. Then after I take the excursion the $50 will be refunded by the method of payment used to make the excursion. It doesn't got into OBC, it will go back onto your credit card.

I would certainly call the tour desk and not take any chances. What we do is book after we get on the ship. Then we get a print out of our account. it will show the cost of the excursion without a discount but before the end of the cruise it shows up correctly.

We have now called 3x about this $50 "perk" and 3x have been told the same thing: "Since you pre-booked online and paid in advance, when each excursion is completed each cabin (we have 2) will be credited with $50 refundable obc. If you do not use it on the cruise, it will be credited back to the credit card you charged the excursions on." When we booked our Baltic excursions our latitudes discount was immediately taken off the price of each excursion. Just wish NCL would get their act together and train their reps to give out the same info to all who call...

I had a call escalated to a Shore Ex Supervisor for another reason yesterday, and asked about this again. He told me the same thing you were told, so maybe they are finally getting their stories straight!

We booked and paid for excursions for our upcoming cruise online like we always have in the past.

I was happy to see the Latitudes Discount applied immediately at booking.

He told me the $50 FOS Rebate will be issued as you described above, which is fine with us, as our cruise is a 14-day Transatlantic and the tours are very early in the cruise! Pretty sure we'll use that OBC by the time we are half way across the Atlantic! HAHA!

:)

I had a call escalated to a Shore Ex Supervisor for another reason yesterday, and asked about this again. He told me the same thing you were told, so maybe they are finally getting their stories straight!

We booked and paid for excursions for our upcoming cruise online like we always have in the past.

I was happy to see the Latitudes Discount applied immediately at booking.

He told me the $50 FOS Rebate will be issued as you described above, which is fine with us, as our cruise is a 14-day Transatlantic and the tours are very early in the cruise! Pretty sure we'll use that OBC by the time we are half way across the Atlantic! HAHA!

:)

First off, have a wonderful transatlantic cruise. This is on my bucket list to do someday. I never asked for a supervisor, but I am glad someone did! I will worry about the rebate on the last day of the cruise. Until that day, I will enjoy every second of my Baltic cruise!