just back from Caribbean Princess transatlantic

ddled

Were on the CB from Fort Lauderdale to Southhampton. Here are a few observations after we were the first on after the 2 week dry dock.

EMBARKATION We were 5 hours or so late boarding. We stayed at Rodeway Inn Cruise Port and they were very helpful. We got the room for extra hours-3 for no charge and transfer to Pier for 5. They knew about the delay before we got the text from Princess. We got to the pier about 3:30 and were on board about 5. Princess did what they could, given that they had lost a day of work in the Bahamas due to a bomb threat.

Condition of the ship and changes: I was a little worried, but the ship was in great shape. There were workers on it all week laying carpet and installing Wi-Fi cable. A few little trim things here and there but all in all it is a nice clean fresh ship. Much nicer than when we sailed her in Jan 2016. The new restaurants-Planks and Steamers actually result in a lot more space in the buffet than before. At night when they are for pay most are in the main dining rooms. We did eat in Planks and found it to be very good-bring your appetite because the amount of food is huge! We did not finish it. Very good addition to the ship. I was pleasantly surprised.

New beds. They are nice, but with a deep soft mattress topper on it. It could have been removed if you want. OK for most I guess, heard no complaints. The average age of the passengers was about 65 so it would have bothered a lot of old backs but no complaints heard.

Weather-nothing bad. no rain even on shore, 12 foot waves one evening was the highest. Very lucky. Was in the 50s during the day most days.

Music and entertainment- This is the only complaint I had. They only brought on 4 acts for the 7 sea days so had to repeat them. Most acts do their best stuff in the first performance and do not have enough material for 2 shows. A ventriloquist, comedian, and singer. The real talent is in the lounges.Walker Black duo was great as was the Crooners singer. Pentatonics was a very upbeat party band. We stayed until they quit each sea day night. Stage performances were very good-3 shows each night but the 830 filled the 840 seat theater by 800 to get a seat. 4 separate shows during the cruise, 6:45 was easier to get a seat. Bravo was a great show.

Food: Had no complaints. Ate in MDR most nights. Service was good as it gets nowadays. Just needed good table companions to visit with and it was a great time. Buffet at breakfast now has more offerings and more seating space. We ate lunch each day on balcony and room service was quite fast-never 30 minutes to get to room.

Ports- In Bermuda we rented a cab off the pier and took a 4 hour tour for 60us. Very good-interesting but expensive island. Great scenery. In Cobh we went to

Waterford Crystal-facinating to see the skill and the few people that actually work there. In Falmouth we went to Land's End and St. Ives. Get your guide to reduce the time at Lands End and go more to St. Ives. In France we went to D-Day beaches. Hard to tell the impact it has. Something you must experience.

Medallion system-lots of talk about it. As they were installing it they caused several plumbing problems- I think the idea is all wet anyway so it fits.

Pet Peeves-people taking up tables in crowded bars only to play computer games. If you are not going to pay attention to the performers and not applaud at the end because you cannot get your face out of your device at least go do it somewhere there is not a lot of people wanting in to the venue and not having a seat! Very disrespectful.

Final comments-great cruise. Princess does most things very well. Service was very good and people were friendly. If you wanted it and they had it you got it. Have no complaints and am looking forward to the Grand Princess in July and Alaska.:)

Pet Peeves-people taking up tables in crowded bars only to play computer games. If you are not going to pay attention to the performers and not applaud at the end because you cannot get your face out of your device at least go do it somewhere there is not a lot of people wanting in to the venue and not having a seat! Very disrespectful.

Did they buy a drink and weren't interested in the performers or have no drink?

We were on the Carribbean princess New York down to Carribbean in 2011 lovely cruise every thing excellent and service. Your comment on d Day beaches. We did land holiday in Normandy , and quite agree. The museums, and the war grave cemetery's. beautifully kept are very moving.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

to answer some of the questions. The people usually did not even have a drink-just taking up space. No movies on demand that I saw-not even love boat on the tv! I do not think it was interactive-did not use it anyway. Saw lots of people using the kiosks to get their bill printed out. As to the dance floors in WHEELHOUSE- they are a nice wood floor and in great shape-one of the reasons why we like the ship so much. All 3 lounges had wood floors-just perfect places for a little footwork. Hope this helps. Medallion is going to take some serious selling I think. Did not hear anyone that was looking forward to it-just depends on what you like I guess. In 10 years we will probably wonder how we did without it?

Thanks for the review. We will be on her as she comes back to Port Everglades in September and then stay on her for the Circle Tour. Looking forward to the 29 days on this ship.

Were there any changes in Skywalkers?

Does the ship have the movies on demand like on the Royal and the Regal?

No on demand TV.......

I think they stopped retrofitting ships with the new on demand TV system after the Sapphire in 2014.

Besides the Regal/Royal/Majestic getting it from the start I only think a couple of other ships received it before they stopped.

Thanks for the review. We'll be on her, beginning Sept. 10, Southhampton to Ft. Lauderdale. I see on deck 15, all the way aft, is the Outrigger. I know there is a bar, but wondering if we can get our breakfast or lunch from the buffet and take it there to eat outdoors. Also, is there still the pub lunch in the Wheel House on sea days? Is there an Alfredo's or similar place for lunch? On the Island we had really great pizza for lunch in Alfredo's. At least I think it was Alfredo's. Last question. Between my husband and myself we'll get 1000 free internet minutes so I will want to use the internet cafe now and then. Are there several computers there? On the Island there was usually a wait to get on a computer. Lots of questions. Thank you so much for any info. :)

Thanks for the review. We'll be on her, beginning Sept. 10, Southhampton to Ft. Lauderdale. I see on deck 15, all the way aft, is the Outrigger. I know there is a bar, but wondering if we can get our breakfast or lunch from the buffet and take it there to eat outdoors. Also, is there still the pub lunch in the Wheel House on sea days? Is there an Alfredo's or similar place for lunch? On the Island we had really great pizza for lunch in Alfredo's. At least I think it was Alfredo's. Last question. Between my husband and myself we'll get 1000 free internet minutes so I will want to use the internet cafe now and then. Are there several computers there? On the Island there was usually a wait to get on a computer. Lots of questions. Thank you so much for any info. :)
There are tables by the bar but one side might be a smoking area. There are also tables forward of the buffet around the pool were you can also eat outside.

No Alfredo's and there have been no reports of offering "Alfredo's style" pizza for lunch in Sabatini's on the Caribbean. Prego, the pizza by the slice counter on Lido deck has been renamed Slice and has several options in addition to Pizza.

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/ships/products/menus/Slice-Menu.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Forums