Westerdam Dry Dock Fire @ Palermo Shipyard, Italy

need2cruisesoon

I wonder if we will learn any details about this from any reputable source?

I recall that Westerdam suffered a fire when she was being built. Some of the interior materials/signage that had been planned for the yet to be built Noordam was then used on Westerdam.

Sure hope we will hear more about the fire.

Tried to figure out where it occurred -- new cabin area and cabana retreat?

It happened in Palermo. That may be all we need to know. Did you ever read "City of Falling Angels" about the famous La Fenice opera house fire in Venice? Trying to figure out the cause of a fire in Italy is not always a pretty event. I digress.

It happened in Palermo. That may be all we need to know. Did you ever read "City of Falling Angels" about the famous La Fenice opera house fire in Venice? Trying to figure out the cause of a fire in Italy is not always a pretty event. I digress.

Read the book many years ago.

Have been in Venice many times.

You are right -- not like our country where they don't allow anyone in the fire area for weeks, months.

Westerdam seems to be the bad luck girl of the fleet. The big fire during her building, and then the engine room minor fire on sailing from Seattle. Now we have a shipyard blaze up on the upper decks. Every fleet seems to have a vessel that gets more than her share of troubles, and Westerdam seems to the Holland"s.

Not saying it is not true, but have yet to find any mentioning of this fire on the news anywhere, including Palermo news sites :confused:

Have tried "palermo fuoco cantieri navali", but only came across an incident of february 28th this year.

Edited by Alphen

Not saying it is not true, but have yet to find any mentioning of this fire on the news anywhere, including Palermo news sites :confused:

Could be there was just very minor damage? I wish the OP gave more info.

The photo isn't appearing for me.

I'm in Palermo right now aboard Aegean Odyssey. I saw a HAL ship in the port when I left earlier. Does anyone know if the Westerdam is in the main port area or if that was another HAL ship? If it's the Westerdam, I can walk over and try to take a look...

The photo isn't appearing for me.

I'm in Palermo right now aboard Aegean Odyssey. I saw a HAL ship in the port when I left earlier. Does anyone know if the Westerdam is in the main port area or if that was another HAL ship? If it's the Westerdam, I can walk over and try to take a look...

The Westerdam in on the Palermo yard, which is not within the port, but looking from the bow of Aegean Odyssey at about 10 o clock position, the direct distance in a straight line is about 1,4 kilometers, a little less than a mile from your ships position.

Wdam_zpsrfh9t1ox.jpg

Info taken from Marinetraffic.

Edited by Alphen

The Westerdam in on the Palermo yard, which is not within the port, but looking from the bow of Aegean Odyssey at about 10 o clock position, the direct distance in a straight line is about 1,4 kilometers, a little less than a mile from your ships position.

Info taken from Marinetraffic.

Thanks -- nothing like a little on the scene (or remote!) investigating. I'm going to head up to the top deck to see what I can see. Of course, the top deck on this ship isn't exactly stunningly high, but perhaps I can see if it's worth striking out for a walk.....

Thanks -- nothing like a little on the scene (or remote!) investigating. I'm going to head up to the top deck to see what I can see. Of course, the top deck on this ship isn't exactly stunningly high, but perhaps I can see if it's worth striking out for a walk.....

Your ship is live visual on a webcam http://www.siciliacam.it/webcam/citta/porto-di-palermo/ but immage is not clear enough to ask you to wave ;)

Those pictures are from Oct 17 2003 during initial construction.

Whew...hope you are right since we are on her later this summer. These photos came up as 2017 Palmermo Westerdam fire.

Look at the port of registry on the stern. It says Nassau, not Rotterdam, as HAL ships do during construction.